Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Peel posted:

the only nuclear threat scenario the uk might face in corbyn's lifetime even in clancytown would be some kind of general nato-russia escalation spiral in which case britain's own threat posture is irrelevant unless we actually escalate ourselves, which only may might be stupid enough to do

britain was stupid enough to vote to exit the eu in a couple of years it might be stupid enough to exit nato so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
When I think potential Nuclear Holocaust I definitely think of the UK having any semblance of a major role in it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i mean a lot of us thought france was super close to electing a nazi as well. a nuclear deterrent is always worth having in the face of an uncertain future

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how would it go down if he just said no he wouldn't press the button becuase in a retaliatory strike london would have been the initial target so he'd be dead but he trusts the generals to do what is needed

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/esheikh_/status/870749767508295680

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'd be more willing to entertain pro-trident arguments if the rest of the british military wasn't in such a messed up state. priorities.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it's not that a nuclear deterrent is or isn't useless so much as that the whole issue is a near-irrelevancy only important in the fever dreams of nationalist death cultists

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Conservatives gettin dragged on Twitter

https://twitter.com/irelandpenguin/status/870742520455680001%08

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The cold war hosed people up fierce and i think the world would be better had they actually died

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Peel posted:

it's not that a nuclear deterrent is or isn't useless so much as that the whole issue is a near-irrelevancy only important in the fever dreams of nationalist death cultists

nobody thought putin was brazen enough to invade and annex crimea, or that assad was crazy enough to start a civil war against his own people

sure these are all happenings outside of western europe but give it twenty years with the crazy election surprises continuing and god knows what might happen

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Peel posted:

there gets to be the point where the UK can't do much militarily, and basically won't be able to influence the world with its military, except to immediately nuke & kill several million people in the event of the apocalypse war.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Corbyn won't bring a nuclear holocaust on me and my loved ones, low energy. :sad:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Corbyn won't bring a nuclear holocaust on me and my loved ones, low energy. :sad:

nah he's just going to get conquered by russia after he exits nato because it's evil and scraps the nukes lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
anyway the nukes aren't going anywhere because even the best case scenario is a hung parliament so a vote for corbyn is good

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

nobody thought putin was brazen enough to invade and annex crimea, or that assad was crazy enough to start a civil war against his own people
Given that the Gulf states and Egypt quite peacefully murdered hundreds of people and didn't collapse into massive civil war I could see his train of despotic thought.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

nah he's just going to get conquered by russia after he exits nato because it's evil and scraps the nukes lol

I'm the russian invasion force that goes through or around the entire continent of Europe just to conquer a lovely island with crappy weather.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'm the russian invasion force that goes through the entire continent of Europe just to conquer a lovely island with crappy weather.

im the assumption that whoever happens to be the russian tsar at the time is not a slightly unhinged nationalist with revanchist ambitions

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
We would easily defeat any invaders by putting salt + vinegar on all their food, starving them instantly with our repulsive-on-the-continent culinary stylings.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Look at this frightened little man. Look how scared he is lol he thinks Russia is gonna conquer the UK

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i had marmite on toast for the first time and holy poo poo

this was my face while eating it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klMSCTcd0XI

:nixon:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!
Without nukes, how will Britain pretend it has any relevance?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Some ukrainian dudes in the 90s posted:

Look at this frightened little man. Look how scared he is lol he thinks Russia is gonna conquer the Ukraine

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTbL1hH19BE&t=23s

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hey guys it's me i am the anti imperialist leftie who wants to give up the nukes so as to make britain even more dependent on the goodwill of its lord protector the united states of america

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

hey guys it's me i am the anti imperialist leftie who wants to give up the nukes so as to make britain even more dependent on the goodwill of its lord protector the united states of america
quiet! you'll give away my plan..

*britgoons tear my disguise away, revealing my real face... dwight d. eisenhower*

LET'S GET BIZ-AE

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the nukes should be replaced by tanks that launch nukes

why didn't stalin think of this??

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

*extremely roger hodgson voice* WHAT HAPPENED TO THE EMPIRE? CORBYN GIVE ME NUKES

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
current mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoy-mA4SUnA

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
big problem is that trident costs a fuckton of money for the nukes and the (required) vanguard submarines that could be better spent on the army, and for the royal navy: destroyers, frigates, amphibious transports + ocean patrol ships and maritime surveillance planes.

mmm yummy maritime surveillance planes

:3:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hi geremy coarben is good

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/870763048553910272

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Hodgepodge posted:

the nukes should be replaced by tanks that launch nukes

why didn't stalin think of this??

Perhaps a revolutionary mobile nuclear missile system, a bipedal tank. The missing link between infantry and artillery.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jose posted:

People really want to hear him say he will kill millions lol

To be fair if you're the leader of a nuclear power and you aren't willing to commit to massive nuclear retaliation, you undermine the nuclear deterrent and are a threat to world peace.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Also while looking for this pic I found a thing:

lmao

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

CottonWolf posted:

Who wants that many innocents to die?

Given their manifesto, I'm gonna say the Tories.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

hakimashou posted:

To be fair if you're the leader of a nuclear power and you aren't willing to commit to massive nuclear retaliation, you undermine the nuclear deterrent and are a threat to world peace.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/870338168733786113