Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You can get by easily with just one or two of the core books, depending how you want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of wanted to mix it all together, i'm not sure what percentage of the books are different from each other

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

bowmore posted:

I kind of wanted to mix it all together, i'm not sure what percentage of the books are different from each other

Edge of the Empire is pretty much the Han Solo part of Star Wars, Age of Rebellion is the Leia part, and Force and Destiny is the Obi-Wan part. You could probably get away with EotE and FoD if you want a good mix of scoundrels and people who, eventually, after a few dozen sessions, might be good at one or two magic tricks. If you don't care about the force EotE and Aor will have you covered pretty well.

You may also want an easy character creator, in which case Here you go.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks mate :)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can you have three different characters with one having duty, one obligation and the other morality?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In the same party? Sure, but it makes things a bit more complicated for the GM to track it all.

I prefer to have the entire party using one of the mechanics regardless of which book their career is from. In the game I'm recruiting for now, players can be any EotE or AoR class, but everyone will have Duty.

8one6
May 20, 2012

In the game I'm in my character has Morality and Duty (because I'm going to be a force user in another 400xp), another character has Duty and Obligation (because of his background), the rest are straight duty. I don't think I've seen all three on one character before. That would be a pain in the rear end.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anything works as long as you don't mix jedi with non-jedi. As great as the system is, it fundamentally (and thematically) has the same old problem of linear fighter, exponential wizard because, well, space wizards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This system avoids the worst of it, at least. Force users get less skills at char gen, and force powers start out pretty low key

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
You only really need one. I'd suggest picking one of the three and getting a core and a few extras for it (e.g. adventures, class books, resources). The cores have a lot of duplicated content between them, and mixing all 3 can lead to slightly unfocused games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand, all three cores will get you the broadest scope of player character careers and talents. The career splats absolutely add depth, but an argument can be made for either way

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Certainly looking at dollar/content you're probably getting a better deal buying a single core book and splat books for that, because much of the content in each core book is duplicated (aka the rules). ON THE OTHER OTHER HAND, it can often be useful to have multiple core books at a table so more than one person can look something up, so if you're inclined to get multiple core books for that reason, might as well diversify.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I went for breadth over depth and got all three cores. I don't think it was a wrong way to go, since I might want to run with different focuses/eras. Also you get the rules for the broadest range of species. Maddeningly the rules to play a Chewbacca are only in Edge.

If you're pretty sure you're only ever going to run in a narrow idiom though (jedi knights/forcemans, ne'er do wells on the fringes, or soldiers/agents of the rebellion), you can skip the other two.

I do absolutely recommend a starter game. Running the starter adventure helped me get a handle on the dice mechanics, the extra map and tokens are cool, and it gives you another set of dice of which you want at least 2.

Nothing wrong with leaving the splat purchases to your players, since they mainly, (but definitely not exclusively) broaden their options.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
The splats have really good story hooks though so if your players do want to pick some up, feel free to borrow some for ideas.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Anything works as long as you don't mix jedi with non-jedi. As great as the system is, it fundamentally (and thematically) has the same old problem of linear fighter, exponential wizard because, well, space wizards.

It doesn't though.
By the time a jedi character has some decent lightsaber skill/abilities, and and one or two force abilities at impressive levels (or a broad base of low level powers) they're a 300-450xp character. At that point non-force users are already balls deep in their first specialization and depending on what skills they advanced could be halfway down a track on their second specialization.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
A heavy melee murderhobo is still the most powerful poo poo in this game, way moreso than any Jedi.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Like, with a force rating of 1 Jedi characters only have a 42% of successfully using the force anyways. Even at Force rating 3 (200 XP down your trees) you have a 20% of outright failing any force roll. If anything, Jedi characters are too weak for the point investment.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jedi characters are insane and completely outpace non Jedi characters... Once they get about 1000-1200 xp. But going by the xp guidelines in the book, that's around a hundred sessions, give or take. Very few campaigns will reach that, a nd even if they do, the game breaks over anyone's knees around the 800xp mark.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I would disagree almost completely with this comment. Outside of the Move power nothing in the Jedi's skill set outpaces and fundamentally beats a non-force user. Hell with signature abilities I would often put non-force users far and above a force user because of the massive narrative impact (or hilariously brutal combat impact) those powers provide. If the Jedi wants to go for one then they ware skipping out on almost all their jedi powers.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Question about starting characteristics:

I've been thinking a lot about characteristics and how expensive they are to upgrade. So it seems like the characteristics you buy at the beginning are very important. To this end, what's the best way to go? Sink ALL your starting XP in characteristics? And should you go with 1 really high characteristic and one fairly high one and all the rest standard? Obviously I know it's mostly preference, but I'd love to avoid pitfalls that seem like a good idea early on and end up limiting my character's usefulness.

Example: I'm making a human pilot/force sensitive exile. Because of the pilot part, Agility is really important. But Willpower is useful for Vigilance and Presence is good for Cool and regaining strain. How should I spend my initial 120 xp?

Option A: Seems like this would be more singularly useful but without much balance
4 Agility (70xp)
3 Willpower (30xp)
Bonus Specialization (20xp)

Option B: Seems like this would be more balanced, but wouldn't stand out in any areas
3 Agility (30xp)
3 Willpower (30xp)
3 Presence (30xp)
Force Power (10xp)

Option C: Seems like this would be more "neat" at the start, but wouldn't be able to grow as much as either of the other options
3 Agility (30xp)
3 Willpower (30xp)
FORCE POWERRRRRRS (40xp)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

It depends what you want to do but option A is probably what I'd go for. With Jedi classes I usually wait until I'm more than halfway down the tree before grabbing powers since a lot of them aren't very useful until you invest into them and without a high Force rating you're not going to be rolling successes as often.

Having 4 in a good characteristic like AGI for a pilot would be a priority for me.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Crumbletron posted:

Having 4 in a good characteristic like AGI for a pilot would be a priority for me.

This results in a fairly boring character at first (I'm good at shootin' and flyin' and that's about it) but get badass later on once I start adding skills, talents, and Force Powers?

Also, is Willpower the best secondary characteristic to start off with? At least for what I'm going for (a pilot who shoots good)?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

It might result in you being more one-dimensional early on, but grabbing force powers from the get go won't be that useful either since you force die pool will be tiny (1).

As for secondary, it depends on your skills and where you want to go.

Going 3/3/3 is also a possibility. I do that often, too.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

nothing to seehere posted:

Like, with a force rating of 1 Jedi characters only have a 42% of successfully using the force anyways. Even at Force rating 3 (200 XP down your trees) you have a 20% of outright failing any force roll. If anything, Jedi characters are too weak for the point investment.

A force rating 1 jedi has a 100% chance of pulling off a one pip power.

It's only if you are pathologically afraid of conflict that it drops to 42%

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of force users, Disciples of Harmony just hit. I'm headed to my FLGS for it now, so go ahead and post your info requests

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 2, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I really like the Arbiter in the new book. Good mix of social and combat talents and skills.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

KittyEmpress posted:

Jedi characters are insane and completely outpace non Jedi characters... Once they get about 1000-1200 xp. But going by the xp guidelines in the book, that's around a hundred sessions, give or take. Very few campaigns will reach that, a nd even if they do, the game breaks over anyone's knees around the 800xp mark.

I think I'd still put my money on someone who maximized their autofire capabilities with all that xp.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think I'd still put my money on someone who maximized their autofire capabilities with all that xp.

A bounty hunter with that much xp will loving demolish a jedi character, it wouldnt even be close.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So I'm a watched-the-movies, got-partway-into-a-book Star Wars fan. My players, I suspect, have never read even part of a book.

How tenable is FFGSW for us? Do you need to know which bounty hunter infiltrated which base dressed as which entertainer to make sense of the setting, or extrapolate within it from the prepackaged adventure information?

I like Star Wars and I like the mechanics, but I don't want to be lost in the universe!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

So I'm a watched-the-movies, got-partway-into-a-book Star Wars fan. My players, I suspect, have never read even part of a book.

How tenable is FFGSW for us? Do you need to know which bounty hunter infiltrated which base dressed as which entertainer to make sense of the setting, or extrapolate within it from the prepackaged adventure information?

I like Star Wars and I like the mechanics, but I don't want to be lost in the universe!

Not in the slightest. If you have a general idea of 'space fantasy with wizards and laser swords', thats all you need to know. Empire = Bad guys, Rebels = Good guys, red laser sword = evil. The Edge of the Empire Beginner adventure has you dealing with space mafia and you stealing a ship in a dramatic escape while some stormtroopers shoot at you. Watching the original trilogy is about all you need to get and understand 99% of the game. The most technical insetting it gets is stuff like 'Oh no the hyperdrive isnt working! You gotta fix it before you can escape those TIE Fighters!'

I've never read or really looked at star wars outside of the movies and cartoons and I completely get whats going on. Feel free to just fill in the blanks or misunderstanding with whatever you like and think would be cool/appropriate.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

If you've watched the movies and/or the cartoons you're set. Even if you don't get a specific reference somewhere it's no different than someone in A New Hope talking about Alderaan, or the Kessler Run, or Wookiees. It's just a star wars thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kingcom posted:

I've never read or really looked at star wars outside of the movies and cartoons and I completely get whats going on. Feel free to just fill in the blanks or misunderstanding with whatever you like and think would be cool/appropriate.

OK, cool.

My concern was that some later adventure would contradict my flailings in a painful way.

I will make things up!

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

OK, cool.

My concern was that some later adventure would contradict my flailings in a painful way.

I will make things up!

Then you'll just be doing what George Lucas did when he wrote the prequels. There's nothing more "Star Wars" than contradicting lore you yourself put in place.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

OK, cool.

I will make things up!

Yeah its pretty much 'SPACE THING, PROPER NOUN !' that might come out of nowhere but anywhere you actually need to know about the adventure will put a big block of text explaining to you. Or just make it up cause you're playing a roleplaying game. Pick whatever you think will make more fun really. The only real 'hey you should know this character' moments is when Lando shows up in Jewel of Yavin but its pretty minor.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 2, 2017

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Has anyone run Chronicles of the Gatekeeper with new characters? Our group shrank a bit so I might have only 3 players and I'm wondering if I should give them a leg up.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

jivjov posted:

Speaking of force users, Disciples of Harmony just hit. I'm headed to my FLGS for it now, so go ahead and post your info requests

What are the light saber attachments, what's the ceremonial armor like, and what's the with flow/ebb?

8one6
May 20, 2012

How many ranks in mechanics will a jedi need to not end up with the lightsaber equivalent of a Motorola brick phone?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm the Jedi looking up acklays in his pokedex.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Savidudeosoo posted:

What are the light saber attachments, what's the ceremonial armor like, and what's the with flow/ebb?

Saber attachments:

Blade Drain: Draws power from another lightsaber it comes into contact with. Takes a triumph to activate, but it reduces the damage the opposing lightsaber deals for the rest of the encounter. Three threat causes a catastrophic self fail, shutting down the power supply of your own saber.

Hilt-masking kit: disguises the lightsaber as a mundane object. The flavor text covers all sorts of stuff, like Corran's speederbike handle or Sinube's cane from Clone Wars

Pommel Cap: Add a heavy cap to the end of the saber, allows you to use the hilt itself to make melee attacks, and with GM approval house a single encumbrance 0 item in secret storage.

Stun Blaster Attachment: See Ezra's first lightsaber from Rebels. Covers both sabers disguised as blasters and Ezra's saber/blaster hybrid.

Corrupted Crystal: Base Damage 6, Crit 2, Breach 1, Sunder, Vicious 2. All force checks while possessing the saber get one dark pip added. If the character rises to 70 morality, the vicious and the dark pip go away, all the other effects remain

Cracked Crystal: Base Damage 7, Crit 3, Breach 2, Sunder, Vicious 1. Generate Despair on the combat check and the crystal can shatter. Flavor text suggests fragments of the Death Star's reactor core as a possible source.

Seeker Crystal: Produces a pink blade, wielders can detect hidden people nearby. (Not a compass to point to them; but wielder knows they are being secretly observed)

Solari Crystal: Light side version of corrupted crystal Dam 7, Crit 2, Breach 1, Sunder, Defensive 1. Blade is wider and easier to use to deflect blaster bolts. Morality drops below 50, all those properties are lost.

Formal Council Armor: Def 0, Soak 2, Encum 6/ Automatic 2 Advantage to Negotiation checks when interacting with individuals who hold Jedi in high regard; GM discretion 2 Advantage to Coercion when interacting with those who hate or fear Jedi

Ebb/Flow:

Ebb: Make an Ebb Power check, spend Pip to suffer 1 strain and inflict 1 strain on all other engaged characters, cannot be activated multiple times.

Flow: Make a Flow Power check, spend Pip to heal one strain, cannot be activated multiple times.

Magnitude upgrades let you exclude targets, Only one range upgrade.

Control upgrades let you consult the Force (the GM) on a single Yes/No question for three pips, when making an Ebb/Flow check as part of a combined check you can (Ebb)add Threat to engaged opponents or (Flow)Add Triumph to more checks of the same skill, same as before but adding (Ebb)failure and (Flow)success, can commit a Force die to add a Force die to all skill checks. Pips add success or advantage to check, but Dark pips make you suffer strain and conflict.

Mastery effect: Ebb: Once per session if a target suffered 5 strain from a single use of this power, add Despair to target's next check. Flow: If user healed 5 strain from single use of this power, add Triumph to user's next check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is the best version of Thrawn, I feel.