Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

T-Bone posted:

Preorders for Antiquity (and another print run of FCM) are going up this weekend!

:f5h::shepspends: :f5h::smugdog: :f5h::lron: :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Aghama posted:

My guess is either stickers or you peel pieces off the board to reveal the content beneath.

It could be both! :eng101:

Peel away stickers to reveal areas, I mean.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

they're actually up now: https://www.splottershop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ANTIQUITY

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

taser rates posted:

They are nothing alike. Small City is SimCity the board game. Antiquity is an oppression simulator where you're racing against famine and pestilence and the other players to be the first to fulfill a win condition.

Need more words on Small City. How does it compare against, uh, Suburbia? What other even Sim City type games are there? That are good?

Edit: Trey Chambers (the designer) discusses an Argent rule change here, and I wanted people's thoughts:

quote:

The proposed rule change would read: "If two or more players are tied for a voter, the player(s) that Marked the voter is eligible to win the voter. If two or more tied players have marked the voter or no players had marked the voter, the player ahead on the Influence track wins the voter."

It weakens the Influence track while bumping the ability to make marks. I'm not sure how this will play out, except that the technomancers get a boost.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 2, 2017

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Already in like Flynn from Splotter direct

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

Already in like Flynn from Splotter direct

Jesus christ it's ~$50 CDN to ship to Ontario

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Need more words on Small City. How does it compare against, uh, Suburbia? What other even Sim City type games are there? That are good?

It's been a while since I played Small City, but it's a tile laying game that's pretty directly trying to emulate the SimCity model of population growth, where you build up industrial and commercial sectors to attract workers to work those sectors which grow your residential areas and get more workers, which iirc is where your endgame points come from. It's not a hugely interactive game (you draft role cards at the start of each turn and can send a couple of your workers out to other players cities to use their buildings and I think that's basically it), but it has some nice brain burn to it and I enjoy it for that. It's not really like Suburbia, which is modelling that kind of stuff more abstractly and it also doesn't have the market row besides, you lay whatever tiles you want when you want.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

silvergoose posted:

Now it's my turn; I've played xiangqi maybe once, the limited king/guard movement threw me so hard that I've never returned. How'd you suggest I learn the basics? I already know how to play go, shogi, chess pretty well.

Personally, I learned overseas, while I was studying abroad in Hong Kong. I'm not an expert at all, or even very good at the game.

Board control is very important, because as mentioned, limited king/guard movement means that, unlike in chess, it's better to crowd the king. Setting up a defense with an Advisor or Elephant is a fairly common opener.

I definitely want to play more and learn, because while it's one of my favorites, feel-wise, it's kinda hard to bring out unless I happen to be hanging out with one other friend. I enjoy that it gives me the tactical feel of chess, a game I enjoy immensely, while being much quicker and more decisive.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 2, 2017

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah but it's total just under 100 euros, or roughly 150 shipping etc included.

BGB has it listed (legacy product listing) for 150 CAD not including shipping, and other splotters have been 119-129 online without shipping.

So getting it first direct for 150 total isn't really exorbitant if you really do want it.

Then again I can't be trusted to be objective about this game :haw:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I thought I'd share my game box I keep in my car (or throw in my bag) that I designed to fit a variety of gaming groups and situations and explain the games I chose the include:

The main idea behind this project was to have an easily transportable set of games that I could keep with me on trips or always have available in the car, while protecting the games contained and having a large variety of game types and weights for all players and group sizes.

Love Letter - Classic gateway game that can be played anywhere and plays quickly. Filler for game nights, and great for introducing a group of non-gamers to modern games. Works well for small or larger groups.

Superfight - A much better alternative for crowds that like CaH. Anytime someone has suggested CaH I've been able to convince them to play this instead and they have liked it more 100% of the time (and almost always admit they're tired of CaH and only play it out of habit). Great party game or large group activity.

Superfight Yellow Deck - Adds scenarios so that every round isn't just a "fight". Adds creative twists and uses for your characters and attributes. Who would win a game of Quidditch if there were 5 of them? Which two characters would be the best leads in a buddy cop movie? A good twist after you've played vanilla a few rounds.

Star Realms: Colony Wars - A pretty bad game, but very useful for getting the MtG crowd to try something else. Simple to teach, decent theme, and deckbuilding usually draws the attention of MtG draft players really well. 2 player only really.

Valley of the Kings: Last Rights - One of the best deckbuilders, second only to Dominion. I rotate the three sets. A great step up from Star Realms or an intro deckbuilder for 3-4 players.

Tiny Epic Galaxies - The only really good tiny epic game. A dice management/tableau builder that packs a lot of meat into a small package. Plays well at all player counts, and has a good solo mode.

Mint Works - A fantastic introductory worker placement game with enough variety to be interested to veteran players. Plays great 1-4p.

Schotten Totten - One of my favorite 2 player games, and a good transition game for people that have only played poker. Lots of depth when you include the tactics cards.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf + Daybreak - Another great family or party game that works for gamers or non-gamers. Another one that I've had a lot of success introducing to CaH groups.

Dutch Blitz - Classic frantic family card game. Older people love this one especially, since it's a classic style game. Easy to teach since it's basically multiplayer solitaire/speed.

Tak - My favorite abstract by a large margin. This is the traditional pieces and a cloth Checkers board that I sectioned off to a 6x6 grid (you can play 5x5 on the intersecting spots). I keep this in a canvas zipper bag so I can carry and play anywhere.

Pixel Tactics: Mega Man - A great board game for people that are primarily video gamers. The nostalgia + tactics strategy gameplay pulls them in really well. This version is very easy to teach with simple mechanics compared to other versions, and the characters and abilities are thematic and satisfying.

Keyflower - I wanted a "real"/heavy game in the box as well for dedicated gaming nights and this is one of my top two games of all time. Can be hard to teach to inexperienced gamers, but always a hit otherwise.

Alternatives I throw in sometimes (replacing boxes of similar size): Jaipur, Pandemic, Tiny Epic Western, Onitama, Pixel Tactics, Santorini, King of New York, 7 Wonders Duel, Patchwork, Arkham Horror Card Game, Codenames, Coup, Eminent Domain, Hanabi, Mottainai, Pina Pirata, Sushi Go!, Hive Pocket, The Duke, Tragedy Looper, Welcome to the Dungeon. I've also considered ditching the boxes completely and going with ziploc bags + plastic deck boxes (for the card games), which would let me fit even more. I might do that for Gencon and the Dice Tower Con this year, but this solution is fine for now.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Castles of Burgandy would be a cool game to throw in there. Box isn't that big either and it isn't heavy.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
FCM looks pretty good despite my grumble about the price so popped over to UK Amazon to check out the price from there.

loving lol..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...rutL&ref=plSrch

That shipping cost let alone the game price. gently caress UK

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Which Valley of the Kings set is the best overall if I was only going to own one?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

Which Valley of the Kings set is the best overall if I was only going to own one?

I've wavered back and forth, but I think I've settled on Afterlife as the best overall. The base is a little too solitaire, and Last Rites is a little too crazy combo-y. Mixing the sets is really interesting though, and brings it up to Dominion levels of variety (not exactly, but you get the idea).

Tai posted:

Castles of Burgandy would be a cool game to throw in there. Box isn't that big either and it isn't heavy.

I should get it since it's cheap and good, but thought about picking up the card game version instead. I haven't played it or heard much about it though.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

I've wavered back and forth, but I think I've settled on Afterlife as the best overall. The base is a little too solitaire, and Last Rites is a little too crazy combo-y. Mixing the sets is really interesting though, and brings it up to Dominion levels of variety (not exactly, but you get the idea).

I should get it since it's cheap and good, but thought about picking up the card game version instead. I haven't played it or heard much about it though.

The card game is somehow both exactly the same and significantly less interesting at the same time. I know 3 people who had the game and they've all sold it already.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

I'd say Afterlife. All three are good, but I think Afterlife has more tricks to discover than the base game without slowing down. Last Rites has you counting your cards and searching through piles, which I don't care for.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

FulsomFrank posted:

FWIW Antiquity (and future FCM prints, and any other Splotter stuff) will always be distributed in NA by Passport, so you don't HAVE to pre-order direct and pay their shipping, though moving through the supply chain of distributors and retailers might mean you don't save too much in the long run anyway.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Trey Chambers of Commerce.

I'll see myself out.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

L99 just announced a new mini expansion for Millennium Blades, featuring parodies of a certain well-known card game: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/millennium-blades-the-ccg-simulator-board-game/posts/1901869

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: Trey Chambers (the designer) discusses an Argent rule change here, and I wanted people's thoughts:

It weakens the Influence track while bumping the ability to make marks. I'm not sure how this will play out, except that the technomancers get a boost.

Small City is closer to Castles of Mad King Ludwig. You have a gridded board and funny shaped pieces that you slot on the board. There are general rules for board placement e.g. residential buildings can't go next to industrial buildings, and commercial buildings go next to residential. The hardest part of the puzzle is that you need to make room for your town to expand. You have a build limit each turn, but no limit on upgrades so it's efficient to plan room for their growth on the board. Destroying buildings has steep penalties. Everything works together so destroying industry means you can't build the super cultural buildings while destroying residential areas ruins your points.

There's some light drafting in the form of roles that do things like give discounts or mess with other players. You can send one of your meeples as a tourist to another city to work an opponent's building and take up space. The hardest hitting feature is a pollution tracker. As soon as a single player hits 10% pollution then you start killing meeples every turn who take up space in your board as a cemetery. It's one of the neatest, and grimmest, balancing mechanisms I've seen in a game.

It's a decently heavy euro. I have a pretty negative opinion against this onslaught of "puzzle multiplayer" games like A Feast for Odin, but Small City is a puzzle that's also competitive and it loving hates you in a way that a Vlaada game does. There's no catch up mechanic, if you spiral out of control you're done but the game has a strict turn limit and goes pretty fast.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 2, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Dutch Blitz - Classic frantic family card game. Older people love this one especially, since it's a classic style game. Easy to teach since it's basically multiplayer solitaire/speed.

I played this just the other weekend with my mom, dad, and sister at my dad's 70th birthday party. It was just as frantic as when we played as kids/teens. My mom destroyed us all.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Wtf is up with these shipping costs from Splotter?
I order stuff from the Netherlands all the time and it's usually 10 Euros even for heaver stuff and not 25.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah alban viard is the next vlaada in terms of making his mechanics sing a song of how badly you've hosed up in your life. The difference is that instead of putting euro themes in fantasy settings he connects all of his games as being part of the story of the same city you're building. it's very cute.

Also he hasn't been picked up my a major design house so all the components to his games are made out of rutibexium.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

the panacea posted:

Wtf is up with these shipping costs from Splotter?
I order stuff from the Netherlands all the time and it's usually 10 Euros even for heaver stuff and not 25.

Splotter's motto is "How loving bad do you want this, bitch?"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I really think I'd like Small City but every time I read the rules to settle my mind about buying it I end up thinking "eh, maybe not" for some reason.

Probably I'd benefit from having someone teach me, reading the rules online just leaves me kinda head scratchy. I can usually picture how it starts to all work together at some point but that didn't happen with Small City.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

I really think I'd like Small City but every time I read the rules to settle my mind about buying it I end up thinking "eh, maybe not" for some reason.

Probably I'd benefit from having someone teach me, reading the rules online just leaves me kinda head scratchy. I can usually picture how it starts to all work together at some point but that didn't happen with Small City.

yeahhh that's the other thing about doing most of his stuff indie press style is that no editor has ever seen the small city rulebook in this or any other dimension.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

LLSix posted:

Has anyone been to Pieces Board Game Cafe? I'm going to be in St. Louis this weekend and I'm tempted to stop by.

I asked my St. Louis friends and the only one who'd been there said, "Good food and game selection, but loud and not particularly kid friendly."

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I thought I'd share my game box I keep in my car (or throw in my bag) that I designed to fit a variety of gaming groups and situations and explain the games I chose the include:

If I recall, you live in a pretty humid place. I also live in a city known for its humidity. Are you at all worried about the jumidity wrecking the games in this case? One one hand playing games is strictly better than not playing games, on the other I would rather not damage goods that aren't always promised to be for sale.

ALSO: how do you teach ONUW? I bought Daybreak on sale, and was pretty annoyed that the role cards didn't have the functions on them. I feel like it would ruin the point of the game if I had to explain all 8-10 roles multiple times.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

If I recall, you live in a pretty humid place. I also live in a city known for its humidity. Are you at all worried about the jumidity wrecking the games in this case? One one hand playing games is strictly better than not playing games, on the other I would rather not damage goods that aren't always promised to be for sale.

ALSO: how do you teach ONUW? I bought Daybreak on sale, and was pretty annoyed that the role cards didn't have the functions on them. I feel like it would ruin the point of the game if I had to explain all 8-10 roles multiple times.

The box never sits closed for long periods of time so it never accumulates humidity, at least no more than the games deal with on the shelves. It stays inside at night since we play a lot of those games so frequently. For heat, I use full coverage window shades in the car because otherwise it will get upwards of 140 degrees on sunny days.

For ONUW, it's all about being very picky with roles and what's available each round. I always start very simple and add 1 or 2 roles each round. The first round I usually teach you're either a werewolf or vanilla townsfolk and don't even bother with abilities, just to give them an idea of how the game works, then explain to them the next round that they will get a unique ability. The app is also invaluable along with a bluetooth speaker, since it runs the night phase for you and for every role it calls out the name and then reminds them what to do.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah I played in a group with a guy who used the app and a speaker; it was waaaayyyy better that way than the time we played Avalon with the owner stumbling through the steps.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Impermanent posted:

yeah alban viard is the next vlaada in terms of making his mechanics sing a song of how badly you've hosed up in your life. The difference is that instead of putting euro themes in fantasy settings he connects all of his games as being part of the story of the same city you're building. it's very cute.

Also he hasn't been picked up my a major design house so all the components to his games are made out of rutibexium.

His games have gotten better components over time. His newest title Tramways is industry standard from what I've heard.

Small city is the only box I've had tear on me and I can't imagine how flimsy CliniC is if it's supposedly worse.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Idk what it is about legacy games but every time I hear a game is a legacy game I write it off. I enjoyed Pandemic well enough but never bothered with legacy, seafall didn't interest me, I guess Gloomhaven is legacy(?) but it's too good to pass up

Just a reminder that Gloomhaven isn't really a Legacy game in the sense that Risk, Pandemic or Seafall are. You're not making very many permanent modifications to components based on choices or game events. It's largely just unspooling content through play. Really the main thing that you might permanently change is magically enhancing a couple of cards in a character deck, usually right before you retire them, so that they have a +1 to some number somewhere, or maybe a new status effect or element or something. (These are simultaneously pretty small changes and quite expensive, and also surprisingly meaningful.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Think of Gloomhaven more as a campaign game than a Legacy™ game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Oh gotcha, that makes more sense. Also, Asmodee Digital is doing beta testing for Carcassone Digital on steam and while there are only a few people online atm, it looks gorgeous and play is decently smooth. The AI has some issues though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

CaptainRightful posted:

I asked my St. Louis friends and the only one who'd been there said, "Good food and game selection, but loud and not particularly kid friendly."

Thanks!

We're going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon once we're done at the botanical gardens.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's fairly simple. First it is determined who the Mayor is visiting. This player gets first choice of role and action, but also has two spaces on their board blocked for building this turn (the other players choose).

In turn players choose a role from the rondel, paying $1 for each empty space you skip.

Players build new buildings, then expand existing buildings. Expansion follows the same basic pattern as Town Centre: green expands if it's next to enough reds, blue expands if it's next to enough greens.

Then you assign citizens to buildings to generate resources. You can have one tourist in each other player's district. Citizens at home generate votes instead.

Pollution is generated; the more active workers in your district, the more pollution. Once any player gets to 10 pollution, the player who generated the most pollution must kill someone in their district. Pollution also subtracts from your score at the end, and if you get to 100 pollution you immediately lose.

Then you can purchase a political favour, moving a marker along up to two of four tracks. If you want to change track you can, but you start from the beginning. Also if you take the last reward on a track that marker is locked and cannot be moved again.

This is all from memory and there's maybe a phase I forgot, but that's most of it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That does sound fairly straightforward, thanks for writing that up.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Kashuno posted:

Oh gotcha, that makes more sense. Also, Asmodee Digital is doing beta testing for Carcassone Digital on steam and while there are only a few people online atm, it looks gorgeous and play is decently smooth. The AI has some issues though.

They've had Carcassonne apps across all platforms for about four years now, I can't imagine converting the AI logic tree can be that hard.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

The main idea behind this project was to have an easily transportable set of games that I could keep with me on trips or always have available in the car, while protecting the games contained and having a large variety of game types and weights for all players and group sizes.

Love Letter - Classic gateway game that can be played anywhere and plays quickly. Filler for game nights, and great for introducing a group of non-gamers to modern games. Works well for small or larger groups.

Superfight - A much better alternative for crowds that like CaH. Anytime someone has suggested CaH I've been able to convince them to play this instead and they have liked it more 100% of the time (and almost always admit they're tired of CaH and only play it out of habit). Great party game or large group activity.

Superfight Yellow Deck - Adds scenarios so that every round isn't just a "fight". Adds creative twists and uses for your characters and attributes. Who would win a game of Quidditch if there were 5 of them? Which two characters would be the best leads in a buddy cop movie? A good twist after you've played vanilla a few rounds.

Star Realms: Colony Wars - A pretty bad game, but very useful for getting the MtG crowd to try something else. Simple to teach, decent theme, and deckbuilding usually draws the attention of MtG draft players really well. 2 player only really.

Valley of the Kings: Last Rights - One of the best deckbuilders, second only to Dominion. I rotate the three sets. A great step up from Star Realms or an intro deckbuilder for 3-4 players.

Tiny Epic Galaxies - The only really good tiny epic game. A dice management/tableau builder that packs a lot of meat into a small package. Plays well at all player counts, and has a good solo mode.

Mint Works - A fantastic introductory worker placement game with enough variety to be interested to veteran players. Plays great 1-4p.

Schotten Totten - One of my favorite 2 player games, and a good transition game for people that have only played poker. Lots of depth when you include the tactics cards.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf + Daybreak - Another great family or party game that works for gamers or non-gamers. Another one that I've had a lot of success introducing to CaH groups.

Tak - My favorite abstract by a large margin. This is the traditional pieces and a cloth Checkers board that I sectioned off to a 6x6 grid (you can play 5x5 on the intersecting spots). I keep this in a canvas zipper bag so I can carry and play anywhere.

Pixel Tactics: Mega Man - A great board game for people that are primarily video gamers. The nostalgia + tactics strategy gameplay pulls them in really well. This version is very easy to teach with simple mechanics compared to other versions, and the characters and abilities are thematic and satisfying.

Keyflower - I wanted a "real"/heavy game in the box as well for dedicated gaming nights and this is one of my top two games of all time. Can be hard to teach to inexperienced gamers, but always a hit otherwise.

Alternatives I throw in sometimes (replacing boxes of similar size): Jaipur, Pandemic, Tiny Epic Western, Onitama, Pixel Tactics, Santorini, King of New York, 7 Wonders Duel, Patchwork, Arkham Horror Card Game, Codenames, Coup, Eminent Domain, Hanabi, Mottainai, Pina Pirata, Sushi Go!, Hive Pocket, The Duke, Tragedy Looper, Welcome to the Dungeon. I've also considered ditching the boxes completely and going with ziploc bags + plastic deck boxes (for the card games), which would let me fit even more. I might do that for Gencon and the Dice Tower Con this year, but this solution is fine for now.

This is a good effort! I did something similar. I stuffed a Backgammon set with Chess pieces, a deck of cards, Space Fluxx cards, Love Letter, and Coup. I can use the Backgammon pieces with the chess board to play Checkers too, or as poker chips. Its pretty compact, easily fits in a backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

When you live in a dumpster I guess you make do.