Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

Saw a rumour earlier this week that biglys' were going to get their own transports. Glad I held off on scratch building rhinos when I can scratchbuild these rad things.

But holy hell is building all these going to take forever :shepicide:

Fearless posted:

I know one who was a brilliant power gamer. He was also a filthy, unshaven, unrepentant Atlantic Canadian bricklayer and hick and about as far from the 4chan stereotype as you could possibly get. He sold his tau army because winning was too easy and picked up 'nids because he wanted a challenge.

Hell of a guy, if you can get past the relative lack of polite social mores.

I only got tau back in 3rd edition because RAILGUNS. But after a couple years I sold the army because it was getting boring. Setup firing lines and overlapping fire with broadsides/firewarrios, wait for them to advance, jump suits around. It was usually easy wins except deep strikers. Thought you were honestly talking about me for a second, didn't think I was that scruffy in my early 20s, I mean I did shave every couple days atleast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

General Olloth posted:

It does look streamlined, firing arcs and cover being greatly simplified does a lot. Getting rid of twin link reroll misses does look like it actually adds more dice but reduces rerolls in the game. GW does indeed not know their own rules. When I tried correcting them, Dan sassed me for knowing the leaked rules.

Please tell me the above target priority I mentioned was them not knowing their own rules. Cause if not, that is dumb.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What a strange world we live in. I converted the Dark Angel Deathwatch dude to hold a shotgun and auspex as I thought his Power Sword and Plasma Pistol would never be useful. I never really liked the conversion, and now I think I'd rather him be the way he came.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The new vehicle is dumb. The dreadnought looks good. The bigly Marines look decent and a good scale but the fluff is insanely dumb and it would have been better to come and and say it's the new scale.
gently caress you, buy more Marines.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Please tell me the above target priority I mentioned was them not knowing their own rules. Cause if not, that is dumb.

They said actually that was definitely the rules and they talked to an authority. They themselves are not necessarily an authority though. There was some calls they made where they were like "We'll have to ask the rules guys later but this is our interpretation."

Most of the mistakes were what the players were doing, which we could only sort of talk to through the community people. They weren't actually judging the game, just doing commentary. A couple things got through to the players, one of which I think was actually wrong.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

General Olloth posted:

They said actually that was definitely the rules and they talked to an authority. They themselves are not necessarily an authority though. There was some calls they made where they were like "We'll have to ask the rules guys later but this is our interpretation."

Most of the mistakes were what the players were doing, which we could only sort of talk to through the community people. They weren't actually judging the game, just doing commentary. A couple things got through to the players, one of which I think was actually wrong.

That is a really silly way for target priority to work. If you can't shoot closest unit cause it is locked cc, then that unit is removed from priority. And you should be free to fire at next logical legal target.

Edit
Target priority should have legality clauses. And a unit locked in cc should be an illegal item and removed from the equation.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 2, 2017

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Kilazar posted:

That is a really silly way for target priority to work. If you can't shoot closest unit cause it is locked cc, then that unit is removed from priority. And you should be free to fire at next logical legal target.

Well rules as written it just literally says "A Character can only be chosen as a target in the Shooting phase if they are the closest visible enemy unit to the model that is shooting."

You can argue that it's dumb but it's pretty clear what the rules say unfortunately. Supposedly this is very much on purpose.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Saw a Bigmarine today. Definitely larger than the regular guy. I could see it being fun to paint an army of them, especially with the reduced squad sizes.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

General Olloth posted:

Yep. It says a move value is a maximum normally, and then SOME have two and one is a minimum and one is a maximum.

The Heldrake just got changed basically. Some stuff that could hover before just flies around on the ground now. Regular planes mostly got common plane rules of 90 degree turns, straight moves, minimum speeds, and -1 to hit.

Ahh, gotcha. I don't know why it wasn't fully clicking for me, I'm usually pretty good with this stuff.

General Olloth posted:

You should have used the gently caress up tiny wolfs. :colbert:

I knew I was forgetting something :cripes:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Warhammer was a mistake.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ilor posted:

Arkhan Land - inventor of the speeder and raider that now bear his surname - is phenomenally stupid.

It's stupid and it owns and what owns more is how in Master of Mankind, Land is all "oh my god why are people calling it the Land Raider, that's loving stupid, it's the Raider Pattern Battle Tank"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They really should have continued the tradition and called the Storm Raven the Land Raven.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

This Arkhan Land thing is such an odd thing to be upset about lmao

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arkhan Land is awesome and he's seen some poo poo. poo poo you wouldn't believe, man.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

This Arkhan Land thing is such an odd thing to be upset about lmao

I'm convinced that this thread runs on salt.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They really should have continued the tradition and called the Storm Raven the Land Raven.

:same:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What SA thread doesn't these days

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Shoot me, I just finished speed painting 20 Poxwalkers for our showcase tomorrow. So many loving boils and maggots, setting my obsessive tendencies on fire. :shepicide:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nah Santa is Papa Grimnar

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molten_salt_reactor

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They really should have continued the tradition and called the Storm Raven Land's Raven.

:colbert:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So just to be clear, we are all in agreement and fully know that Bigly Marines will slowly get more and more stuff, and over the course of a few years eventually be the new regular Space Marine- and that we just don't talk about it aloud?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm not sure what there is to say about that? You're 100% correct and normal marines will slowly die, whatever New Games Workshop says, what else can we add?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

OhDearGodNo posted:

So just to be clear, we are all in agreement and fully know that Bigly Marines will slowly get more and more stuff, and over the course of a few years eventually be the new regular Space Marine- and that we just don't talk about it aloud?

if it makes you feel better everyone in the thread, in a show of oustanding solidarity, has yet to purchase a single bigmarine model

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Is there some hint at what they expect the point levels for average-sized games will be? Haven't touched 40k in a long time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

OhDearGodNo posted:

I''m fine with that.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fnordcircle posted:

Is there some hint at what they expect the point levels for average-sized games will be? Haven't touched 40k in a long time.

I think I heard them say on the stream today that tournaments will probably be around 2000.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So are we clear yet on if having a chainsword lets you take an additional chainsword attack even if you didn't use any of your attacks on it

Because I'm needing to drop a few points and instead of my captain's master crafted boltgun I can give him a chainsword

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

if it makes you feel better everyone in the thread, in a show of oustanding solidarity, has yet to purchase a single bigmarine model

Sorry, my FLGS started doing preorders last weekend for $120 and I partook of the devil's offer. I realize I am a class traitor

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

OhDearGodNo posted:

Baby Marines will still be around in 30k.

My hamstradamus prediction is that 40k is going to be a distinctly new game. Bigger models, different rules, crazy fluff. 30k will be the more familiar baby marines and templates.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I''m fine with that.

As long as they eventually include big Mk. 7's. The new scale and proportions are great, the Mk. 10 design not so much.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I''m fine with that.

I don't play space marines so uhh whatever go hog wild. Just milk more money from those guys and use that money to actually give me xenos updates.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The way I see it, a cool model I want to one day paint doesn't stop my other cool models being cool.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

GW are making plenty of big bucks selling HH nostalgia-marines already. By the time that starts to run dry and bigmarines are the new normal, everything will roll back around to the classic Mk7 armour and we'll see new stuff again. Sure it may take a few years and require a mortgage from Forgeworld, but they'll be back.

General Olloth posted:

I don't play space marines so uhh whatever go hog wild. Just milk more money from those guys and use that money to actually give me xenos updates.

Also this. That sweet sweet heresy money paid for just the right intern to write the first good Tyranid rules in over a decade. Keep buying spacemans everyone!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

BULBASAUR posted:

My hamstradamus prediction is that 40k is going to be a distinctly new game.

Is it reasonable to assume something similar to what they did with AoS will happen will happen with 40k? So all the factions get new lines, etc but the old stuff has rules?

The whole Primaris thing just feels like Sigmarines of the future.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

fnordcircle posted:

Is it reasonable to assume something similar to what they did with AoS will happen will happen with 40k? So all the factions get new lines, etc but the old stuff has rules?

The whole Primaris thing just feels like Sigmarines of the future.

I would expect so, but that could be a 5 year plan. Some new factions mixed in as things go along.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I already talked about it aloud.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm just hoping the "npc" factions don't have to wait too long for their respect8ve codexes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They will never release another old style marine model again for 40k.
Forgeworld will do whatever.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Floppychop posted:

I'm just hoping the "npc" factions don't have to wait too long for their respect8ve codexes.

Jokes on marines, Orks and Tyranids run the joint now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
With all the leaked rules so far is it technically possible to start playing games of 8th edition?

Has anyone in the thread tried this?

• Locked thread