Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rodatose posted:

alternatively, it should have included russia as part of a bridging of relationships, presented alongside a new marshall plan for post soviet states instead of the selling off of state assets to private contractors and oligarchs in a fire sale.

Didn't Russia reject NATO membership?

But yeah dancing and laughing at the USSR collapsing was a big historical mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I for sure felt betrayed by his centrism by the end of the first year. Maybe it was 6 months in.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So was NATO bombing Belgrade, apparently.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Majorian posted:

That's idiotic. Part of the reason Putin is in office is because we expanded NATO and ratfucked their economy.

I thought Putin was in office because he was anointed by Yeltsin?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FunkMonkey posted:

Related: Russian index fingers: delicious AND nutritious? Our reporters investigate.

Seriously though, that's sufficiently suicidal that you can't really take it seriously in my opinion. I'd expect this nonsense from North Korea, but it's a little disappointing coming from Russia.

This is something that's been puzzling me basically since Crimea - what is Putin's endgame with all of this? Is he trying to restore the historical borders of the Russian empire/USSR? What does he gain by tanking international relations to the point that Russia gets kicked out of the G8 in exchange for comparatively worthless land gains? Is it all just about projecting an image of being a strong leader so he can remain in power? I just don't understand what he gains out of any of this.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Majorian posted:

That's idiotic. Part of the reason Putin is in office is because we expanded NATO and ratfucked their economy.

And there's no evidence that they wouldn't be a bigger problem if they were a larger economy.

The Russians have been a pain in the rear end for a hundred years. We're right to treat them as a threat until they prove otherwise. I have no sympathy for them after all they've done in eastern europe.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

If I remember correctly, people globally were pretty pumped for Putin circa 2000. Thought he'd be a reformist

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is something that's been puzzling me basically since Crimea - what is Putin's endgame with all of this? Is he trying to restore the historical borders of the Russian empire/USSR? What does he gain by tanking international relations to the point that Russia gets kicked out of the G8 in exchange for comparatively worthless land gains? Is it all just about projecting an image of being a strong leader so he can remain in power? I just don't understand what he gains out of any of this.

Stay in power long enough to steal an even more ridiculous amount of money from the country than he already has, and do so by invoking nationalist sentiment via a strongman image?

Like, it's not about Russia. It's about Putin.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

Speaking completely anecdotally but I had 2 teachers in highschool literally jump up and down when he won and rub it in the face of the conservative students that were pro-Mccain and made it a very hostile environment for the rest of the school year to the point a couple kids dropped the class completely (law and policy).

It made me really hate the left for a few solid months.

That is legit disgusting. I remember saying to my peers "well, you know how I felt 4 years ago" but that was about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Speaking completely anecdotally but I had 2 teachers in highschool literally jump up and down when he won and rub it in the face of the conservative students that were pro-Mccain and made it a very hostile environment for the rest of the school year to the point a couple kids dropped the class completely (law and policy).

It made me really hate the left for a few solid months.

at the time people were under the impression obama was going to actually change things and he had the perfect opening with the recession. it's really not anywhere near comparable to trump dick riders.

we'd just got out of being hosed for 8 years by one of the worst presidents ever.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Boon posted:

Obama wasn't a disaster and liberals didn't have to circle the wagons instead of confronting their own horrible decisions.

Instead liberals got to nitpick the President or criticize him where he rightly deserved it and then not show up for midterms because they don't matter and the Democrats are a disappointment for not immediately changing everything in a system designed to not change quickly.

This is also my recollection.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Speaking of Putin and his endgames, I will confess a sad degree of ignorance regarding modern Russian politics and even history a bit post the Cold War. Are there any reasonable/educated assumptions for what Russia post-Putin will look like? Like assuming he dies of natural causes and isn't ousted in some sort of coup or whatever.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Majorian posted:

They ratfucked their own economy by tying the entire thing to dying resource extraction.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

And there's no evidence that they wouldn't be a bigger problem if they were a larger economy.

The Russians have been a pain in the rear end for a hundred years. We're right to treat them as a threat until they prove otherwise. I have no sympathy for them after all they've done in eastern europe.

Okay, thanks Richard Pipes.:rolleye:

haveblue posted:

I thought Putin was in office because he was anointed by Yeltsin?

Yeah, but he had appointed a wide variety of PMs before. Putin showed up near the nadir of Yeltsin's fortunes, after the '98 crash.

Furnaceface posted:

They ratfucked their own economy by tying the entire thing to dying resource extraction.

After we pushed shock therapy on them.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 3, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump's America

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/870754785426894849
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/870746850986401792
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/870773270139740160
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/870788476333064192
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/870788370208894976
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/870778859242876928
https://twitter.com/quinncy/status/870737895748796416

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Majorian posted:

Ask about the Politico piece on the Dem split between "focus on Russia/no, focus on health care." I'd like to hear his response.

I'll try my best. This place is packed.

STAC Goat posted:

I kinda miss Garbage Time. It wasn't very good, but it was charming.

Wait Garbage Time got cancelled? Trump has gone too far now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/870773352021073920

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I feel like a lot of the Republican projection that comes up time and time again isn't so much "this is the thing we are doing, let's say the democrats are doing it to deflect suspicion away from us" and is more along the lines of "of course they're doing this - WE would do it. Why wouldn't someone?"

Basically it's not about being aware of their own corruption/guilt and trying to cover it up - it's about being such terrible people that they assume they are the baseline and anyone else would do the same in their position.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like a lot of the Republican projection that comes up time and time again isn't so much "this is the thing we are doing, let's say the democrats are doing it to deflect suspicion away from us" and is more along the lines of "of course they're doing this - WE would do it. Why wouldn't someone?"

Basically it's not about being aware of their own corruption/guilt and trying to cover it up - it's about being such terrible people that they assume they are the baseline and anyone else would do the same in their position.

It's related to the fundamental belief that the world is zero-sum. Cooperation is just a ruse to get an advantage over someone else so that you can stab them in the back later. After all, they will inevitably do the same to you.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Trump pulled out of the Paris deal because of Macron's handshake, didn't he?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yes. It is explicitly because of the handshake.

Edit: to be clear I believe he would have pulled out, regardless. That said, it is effectively on record that his encounter with Macron factored into it.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 3, 2017

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I dunno everything at Arby's is pretty drat good. Their sliders rule.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You're just now figuring this out?

Seriously this has been their way for as long as I've been politically aware,

"We want to balance the budget and reign in irresponsible government spending by the Democrats" Reagan baloons debt from 100s of millions to multiple trillions.

"We want to balance the budget and reign in government spending by the Democrats" Bush W starts two land wars in Asia.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Propaganda Hour posted:

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Yeah maybe just the locations near me were top notch or something but in the spectrum of fast food you can do a lot worse than Arby's, i've always been a little miffed with the Daily Show's weird infatuation with giving them poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Office Pig posted:

Yes. It is explicitly because of the handshake.

Edit: to be clear I believe he would have pulled out, regardless. That said, it is effectively on record that his encounter with Macron factored into it.

Like, that one article aside that explicitly claims it was about the handshake it was pretty clear in his repeated "they won't laugh at us anymore" comments and weird focus on "Paris" as if that was anything but the place it was signed that he was seeing this as a shot back against the poo poo he got from his "home run" foreign trip.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, its the basic idea that people expect of others what they expect of themselves. If you're a generally honest person you tend to be trusting that others are as well. If you abuse power and look for loopholes you assume everyone is doing it. Republicans accuse Democrats of doing poo poo they're doing because OF COURSE the Democrats are doing it because if they aren't that means the Republicans are bad guys and not just doing what they have to do.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 3, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Koch brothers are in coal, right? That's where Trump's weird coal obsession comes from? Or is it just because everything he knows about the US economy comes from the 1950's and he thinks that coal mining is still a cornerstone industry?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

AsInHowe posted:

It was the best thing on that channel, somewhat by default

Bummer, it was full on cancelled? I didn't bother with the show, but the podcast was fun, I just assumed they were on hiatus for the offseason.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Koch brothers are in coal, right? That's where Trump's weird coal obsession comes from? Or is it just because everything he knows about the US economy comes from the 1950's and he thinks that coal mining is still a cornerstone industry?

Bannon likes coal so Bannon said to pull out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Bummer, it was full on cancelled? I didn't bother with the show, but the podcast was fun, I just assumed they were on hiatus for the offseason.

I'll always remember Katie singing about the Brock Lobster when the Broncos beat the Pats that one timd. It's hilarious given how his career has gone.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, but they hate Trump. Also, it's to get votes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lightning Lord posted:

Yes, but they hate Trump. Also, it's to get votes.

From WHO though? I mean based on that previous tweet he'd be a lot more successful by repealing regulations on the fast food industry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I just randomly looked it up on Wiki and apparently Fox Sports has said they're either going to "retool" Garbage Time or find something different for Nolan. So I guess its not "cancelled", just in limbo. I dunno.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Confounding Factor posted:

I dunno everything at Arby's is pretty drat good. Their sliders rule.

You normally put a much higher degree of effort into your trolling

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I cannot stop laughing at "porm"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

From WHO though? I mean based on that previous tweet he'd be a lot more successful by repealing regulations on the fast food industry.

The states of West Virginia and Wyoming.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Coal mining was among the last of those jobs where people could make a good living and retire with a pension without needing a college degree. "I'm going to save the coal industry" is just another way of saying, "I'm with you, the good salt-of-the-earth, blue-collar, hardworking Americans, instead of with those liberal ivory-tower college-educated jerks that are wrecking your way of life."

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I basically lived off of Arby's motz sticks in high school, but you have to admit that stuff is barely food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Hellblazer187 posted:

I just stuck my head in over at T_D for no reason. I'm wondering - did libs dickride this hard for Obama? Maybe during the election but months later? It's staggering.
Obama faced a lot of criticism from the left for failing to shut down Guantanamo, the NSA leaks, drone strikes, the ACA not going far enough, the 2009 economic stimulus bill being too small, etc. T_D worships Trump like some sort of deity that can do no wrong. There's simply no comparison.

• Locked thread