Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You see, they actually were pretty interesting characters. I think that's why people want to revisit that world so much, even if some of the nostalgia is misplaced. I'd even argue that many of the auxiliary characters in that game were not only fleshed out, but really weird and idiosyncratic in a way that's not so common anymore.

They don't even do it in their own games anymore. I bet anyone could tell me a lot about say, Reno of the Turks' personality.

If I asked the same question about like Jihl Nabaat or Ravus Nox Fleuret the most common answer is probably 'who?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really liked all the censored swears. Midgar was also a really awesome place too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zenogias....

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Saint Freak posted:

A PTSD-ridden unreliable narrator and a final boss consumed by his own nature that is revealed at 149 hours into a 150 hour game to have been 'dead' the entire time.

So facile. *puffs pipe*

Lying about your background for the entire game until you're explicitly called out on it in the penultimate act by two people who were there isn't unreliable narration - it's fishing for a lazy twist. I will acknowledge that it had more effort put into it then "oh I guess we were all childhood friends and our spirit animals just gave us amnesia so we forgot, moving on then."

Like I said, I enjoyed FF7, and I hope for everyone the remake turns out solid. It's just a strange choice in my mind to come back to it instead of moving forward.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 3, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tifa better still call Barret a retard during the climb up the ShinRa stairwell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cloud was an unreliable narrator, he wasn't lying (although that would still make him one if he had) he thought his version of events was literally true due to a combination of PTSD, guilt and mako fuckery.

Hmmmmmm, it's almost like you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spoilers, assholes.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Spoilers, assholes.

Fair enough. And yes, Midgar was a cool setting, especially for a JRPG at the time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The twist is the one-two punch of 'you're not chasing Sephiroth' and 'you're not chasing Sephiroth'. Not that Cloud has Brain Problems.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This was so-so, until he suddenly got hyped about a Turok game that he invented whole cloth.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think we're past due for a new Mario Party

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

This was so-so, until he suddenly got hyped about a Turok game that he invented whole cloth.

The world could always use more dinosaur hunting, I don't blame him.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

FF7 is a good game and its story and characters own and it will be nice to see them with modern graphics and a translation that barely passes the 'being in English' test.

Too bad it's never happening, then!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FunkMonkey posted:

The world could always use more dinosaur hunting, I don't blame him.

I'm still pissed we never got another version of Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis after Jurassic World did well.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Vakal posted:

I'm still pissed we never got another version of Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis after Jurassic World did well.

It would be like Ski-Free in that the game would just proceed until you developed the ultrasaur from the last movie and it eats the poo poo out of the entire park, whereupon you start again from scratch. Pure Sisyphusian fun.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

The game informer editors got show previews or something and one of them said that sony's stage line up is one of their strongest ever, hyping the show up, etc.

don't usually believe game informer opinions but its hype season

It's going to be

God of War
Spider Man
Days Gone
Detroit Become Human
Destiny 2
Call of Duty WW 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Red Dead Redemption 2 (technically 3)
New Lego game
Dreams
teaser for new game by Sucker Punch

The only unknowns are if they show anything for Last of Us 2 and Death Dtranding but I tend to doubt it. Their marketing exclusives already guarantee that their conference is fully loaded so there isn't even room for surprises even if they wanted to show some other new things.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Weird, I would've thought they'd just show a single Crash Bandicoot trailer and then call it a show since everyone would leave out of fear at that point...

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

mutata posted:

Weird, I would've thought they'd just show a single Crash Bandicoot trailer and then call it a show since everyone would leave out of fear at that point...

All that hype building in Uncharted 4, squandered.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

FunkMonkey posted:

Why? It was followed up with Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Touche.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Have you ever read Andy Gavin's Making of Crash Bandicoot oral history? It's a 13-part epic nostalgia trip. The game was basically made by 4 people.

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Yo, this was really excellent. Thank you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

To be fair I'm not exactly sure WHAT I did to deserve this av, but since everyone on SA needs a valid mark of shame I've kept it going all these years.

Video Nasty posted:

Yo, this was really excellent. Thank you.

:):hf::)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FunkMonkey posted:

Lying about your background for the entire game until you're explicitly called out on it in the penultimate act by two people who were there isn't unreliable narration - it's fishing for a lazy twist. I will acknowledge that it had more effort put into it then "oh I guess we were all childhood friends and our spirit animals just gave us amnesia so we forgot, moving on then."

Like I said, I enjoyed FF7, and I hope for everyone the remake turns out solid. It's just a strange choice in my mind to come back to it instead of moving forward.

they tried moving forward with that pile of trash ff15

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FunkMonkey posted:

i honestly though 4 was kinda ehh. i get what they were trying to do and i liked what the did with the story and characters and the themes but i miss those big stupid set pieces with a shooting. i get they were going for a more mature game. but gently caress, i hated just climbing/rope sliding for like 20 min a piece or loving around in the jeep. i want dumb pulpy action. not loving Indiana stand by me. i like what they were trying to do and they succeed but i wanted more uncharted 2. not uncharted: last of us edition.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/6ers9d/geoff_keighley_has_included_death_stranding/

seems death stranding is at sony.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i honestly though 4 was kinda ehh. i get what they were trying to do and i liked what the did with the story and characters and the themes but i miss those big stupid set pieces with a shooting. i get they were going for a more mature game. but gently caress, i hated just climbing/rope sliding for like 20 min a piece or loving around in the jeep. i want dumb pulpy action. not loving Indiana stand by me. i like what they were trying to do and they succeed but i wanted more uncharted 2. not uncharted: last of us edition.

On the other hand,

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Imagine a realistically rendered Crash with Uncharted 4's technology

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the other hand,

yeah. i like the story and how they wrapped up everyone story. but it felt too last of us for its own good in my opinion.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I actually forgot E3 existed, I can't even remember if I watched it last year?

Wow less than two weeks to go and I honestly can't think of a single thing I want to see outside of Nintendo's stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I actually forgot E3 existed, I can't even remember if I watched it last year?

Wow less than two weeks to go and I honestly can't think of a single thing I want to see outside of Nintendo's stuff.

This post makes me sad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Honestly I could probably be playing 2017 games well into next year and still have a huge backlog of great stuff, I wouldn't mind if things slowed down for a while

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Honestly I could probably be playing 2017 games well into next year and still have a huge backlog of great stuff, I wouldn't mind if things slowed down for a while

I feel that, I haven't even bought all the games I want to play that have been released so far this year, and all of them are huge too.

I swear if I don't get through Persona 5 before the end of the month I'm basically not finishing the game at all, I got poo poo to do and games to play.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/6ers9d/geoff_keighley_has_included_death_stranding/

seems death stranding is at sony.

On the other hand uncharted 4 is the only game ever my wife not only watched me play but asked me to play

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Mr President posted:

There probably counting every port of MARIO 64 (DS and Wii and Wii U virtual console) in that

Mario 64 for the N64 sold 12 million copies, Crash for PS1 sold 7. The DS version of Mario 64 sold 10, dunno about the VC

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm gonna fist fight everyone here who talks trash about Crash Bandicoot.

watch your backs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gorgolflox posted:

Mario 64 for the N64 sold 12 million copies, Crash for PS1 sold 7. The DS version of Mario 64 sold 10, dunno about the VC

VC games sell like 23 copies

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

On the other hand uncharted 4 is the only game ever my wife not only watched me play but asked me to play

The part where you play Crash Bandicoot, right?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Is it my imagination or are the shows on later this year? I don't remember staying up until 10pm to catch Microsoft's show.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Seedge posted:

Is it my imagination or are the shows on later this year? I don't remember staying up until 10pm to catch Microsoft's show.

Some are way earlier like the PC gaming show. Sony is, as usual, like 3 AM. Microsoft's is definitely later, I remember watching it after dinner last year and this year it's 11 pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Its hillarious that its E3 2017 and the conversation for the last few pages was about Crash Bandicoot and Final Fantasy 7. Also funny that wipeout collection and Tekken 7 are the two hottest games this week. Feels like the past 20 years got erased.

• Locked thread