Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Watase. The McD is going way out of his way to convince us otherwise, so that means we just have to vote for Watasemania more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I can't say I didn't try.

Watase it is.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Didn't vote because they both suck.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DEPARTURE

And once more, the people have spoken.

code:
Natsuhiko: II
Watase:    IIIIIIIIIIIII
Despite my adamant attempts to convince people otherwise - or perhaps *because* of my adamant attempts to convince people otherwise - the overwhelming majority wants to go with Watase. And so that's what we'll do.

...!

The choice lay with Natsuhiko. And there was only one chance to choose.

(... This choice will determine the future. And my fate, Watase's fate, and Yuuri's fate as well...!)

(Can I choose...!?)

They were partners who had once established an emotional bond, after all.

(... But I can't just go and do that, can I!?)

(There's no way in hell I can just hand Yuuri over to Q after she's done all that--...)

--As he thought to himself, suddenly--

An epiphany struck him like lightning.

(Th-that's it... How did I not think of that...!?)

There was but a single way. A single way to both fulfill Watase's demands and save Yuuri at the same time.

(That's it! That's the only way...! If it means not having to hand Yuuri over, then it's a much better alternative!)

♪ BGM: Double Bible (Instrumental Arrange)

He looked Watase straight in the eye and spoke.

Say, Watase...
...What is it?
The Communicator that's to accompany you... the Communicator that's to cooperate with Q, that is-- --It doesn't have to be Yuuri, does it?
!?

Yuuri's eyes widened instantly. She probably understood the meaning behind Natsuhiko's words.

Hikorin, you don't mean...!?
... I do, Yuuri. I'm going with Watase in your stead. Hey Watase, that's okay with you, isn't it?

When Natsuhiko asked that question, Watase responded--

...I can't argue with that.

--as such.

...Natsuhiko, don't put yourself through trouble.
...It's not like I chose this route for your sake. But if it's to help the people precious to me, then--
No, Hikorin! You mustn't go with Captain Kasasagi!

Yuuri interrupted Natsuhiko.

It's not like you want to join Q, do you, Hikorin!? So why...?
...I won't become a terrorist. But Watase's right. There certainly is something wrong with this town. And if someone's gonna right that wrong... then I want to contribute too. For the sake of all the precious people that have always been there for me...
But this incident will put Q on the radar of even more organizations! If you go with Captain Kasasagi, you'll never be able to return to a normal lifestyle! You'll never see everyone again! I don't want that, Hikorin! Don't go!

But Natsuhiko shook his head and gripped her hand.

...Yuuri, thank you for being so considerate. But you've been saving me continuously these past nine years... So now it's my turn to save you.
Y-you mean... If you're going, then I'm coming too, Hikorin!
No. It's dangerous. You won't be able to see Mashiro, Salyu, or Mom either, you know? So you can't come with me. I'm going alone.
No, Hikorin! I don't want that!

Yuuri screamed as heavy teardrops rained from her eyes. She was like a child throwing a tantrum.

I thought... I thought this time we'd finally be able to be together... I wanted us... to be together... *sob* forever... *sob*... *sniff*...
Yuuri... I'm sorry. But I'll come back for sure... So it's farewell for now, but just for a little while. Goodbye, Yuuri.

Natsuhiko whispered that to her... and then used Senses Sympathy one last time. To erase Yuuri's ''current memory'' and knock her out.

He felt something warm flow through him from the depths of her mind.

{If this is your choice, then I guess there's nothing I can do to stop you, huh... But please, Hikorin. Just promise me one thing. Promise to come back, no matter what happens! I'll be waiting for you... I'll be waiting for you to come back, with Mashiron, and Salyu, and the professor too...!}

Along with her telepathy came feelings meant to console Natsuhiko. As those feelings enveloped him-- Natsuhiko blew Yuuri's memories away.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 1, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Natsuhiko is getting a tad too used to and nonchalant about wiping other people's memory.

But hey, that ending was better than I thought it would be, even though I have a good feeling the 'real good' ending will be to make everyone happy. (Not necessarily a complaint)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

BEFORE CRIME

...Natsuhiko, is everything okay?

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

My five senses return from their connection to Yuuri, and I see Watase with my own eyes.

...I'm okay. I only hurt her mind a little. I damaged her memories just a little bit. Even though I never wanted to use this ability for my own conveniences ever again...
...I see.

Yuuri's lying down by his feet. It seems Watase had caught her and laid her down on the ground after she had fainted from the shock of memory erasure.

I'm real sorry, Natsuhiko. This really isn't what you wanted at all, is it? I know you didn't want to come with me either...

I answer that question after a moment of silence.

No... I wouldn't say that's entirely the case.
What?
Now that we've come this far, I finally understand how you and Mr. Ukita feel. If someone's been trampling people from behind the shadows... and will continue to do so until they're stopped... Then I want to right that wrong even if it means staining my hands with crime. You think so too, don't you, Watase?
...Yeah.
To be honest, I don't really understand what sort of organization Q is. They might actually be an evil terrorist organization whose crimes spread beyond Rokumei City. So I won't let my guard down around Q. I'm going with you, but solely to fulfill the role I that I have to.
Of course, Natsuhiko. I won't make you a terrorist or anything. I won't expose you to any danger. Since I'm the one asking for your cooperation, that's my responsibility. I'll protect you with all my strength.
...I guess your strong sense of duty never fades, huh. Fine, guess I'll take you up on that offer then.
And that sharp tongue of yours never fades either. Well, I don't blame you.

There are things that Watase and I cannot do alone. There are things that Watase and I must do together. Now that we share a joint role, a smile forms upon our lips.

...Well, guess we should get going, then. Mashiro and the others will catch up to us if we're too slow.
Yeah. I'm sorry, but let's leave Yuuri to Teach and the others.
What do we do from here?
Once we slip out of this forest, some Q members are supposed to come pick us up in a car. They've apparently made preparations to slip past the city gate. So for now, let's follow their instructions and break out of the city.
Okay. Lead the way.

Watase and I start walking off after I say that.

He supports me as we walk through the dark forest. The stars shining in the night sky faintly illuminate our path. Eventually, I speak up.

...Hey, Watase. It might be weird of me to say this, but...
What?
I think we've finally come to understand each other... It makes me just a little happy. When we work together, it feels like we can take on anything. That no matter who our enemy may be, we can stick firm to our beliefs.

That's why we chose to take this route.

Watase looks at me and answers softly.

...The real war starts here. I'm sure it'll be harsh and severe, but...
I know. But even so, let's pass judgment on the true evil so that one day we may bring the entire truth to light.
Yeah... and I promise... Once everything's over, I'll get you back to Yuuri for sure.
Yeah. I'm counting on you, 'partner'.

Watase nods firmly at those words.

And so that's what happens when we favor Watase. Natsuhiko suddenly discovers his criminal side and goes along with Watase into an uncertain future with Q, and Yuuri, Mashiro, Miyoko and the others... I guess just kinda have to deal with it.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
That was hardly an ending.

What if we favour the six people who aren't there? They were assigned to come meet us, so maybe waiting for them will allow the matter to be resolved by outside influence.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

David Corbett posted:

That was hardly an ending.

What if we favour the six people who aren't there? They were assigned to come meet us, so maybe waiting for them will allow the matter to be resolved by outside influence.

We only have two people involved in this decision - there is Watase, and there is Natsuhiko. That's all we get to work with.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

TheMcD posted:

We only have two people involved in this decision - there is Watase, and there is Natsuhiko. That's all we get to work with.

Er... Why do I seem to recall a different scene at the end?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Er... Why do I seem to recall a different scene at the end?

Hm. Well, if you remember a scene with Yuuri, Mashiro and Salyu happening, then it's because the decision we made back in "Partner" about erasing Watase's memories at the end actually leads to different endings here. I'll show those later.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can get behind Natsuhiko and Watase Best Bros Awesome Adventures, although the drive by on Yuuri seemed really unnecessary

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Maybe I'm a cynical jaded horrible person, but watching Yuuri and Natsuhiko trip over themselves to be the sacrifice for the other really annoys me. Obviously there's an Ideal Good/Better Ending as I don't see this game bucking its anime tropes this late, but for this ending, just go together! Geez!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
There's still too much unanswered for this to be anywhere near a real ending. We still haven't gotten an overly-wordy explanation of whatever BC ghost/time anomaly is inhabiting LABO.

I'm guessing the true ending involves LABO not blowing up, given all that talk while Natsuhiko and Watase were escaping about how they felt some kind of presence leaving them. The question is where the story branch is. Maybe instead of setting everyone to max in the 9-person decision, we should have set everyone to zero?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

TheMcD posted:

Hm. Well, if you remember a scene with Yuuri, Mashiro and Salyu happening, then it's because the decision we made back in "Partner" about erasing Watase's memories at the end actually leads to different endings here. I'll show those later.

That explains a bit. I guess the other path will be new to me, then.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It worked before, so what happens if we set Nat and Wat equal to each other?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Junpei posted:

It worked before, so what happens if we set Nat and Wat equal to each other?

TheMcD posted:

I'd just like to formally establish that letting Yuuri decide is not an option. If we try to give the game an indecisive answer, it just takes that as favoring Natsuhiko.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

There's still too much unanswered for this to be anywhere near a real ending. We still haven't gotten an overly-wordy explanation of whatever BC ghost/time anomaly is inhabiting LABO.

I'm guessing the true ending involves LABO not blowing up, given all that talk while Natsuhiko and Watase were escaping about how they felt some kind of presence leaving them. The question is where the story branch is. Maybe instead of setting everyone to max in the 9-person decision, we should have set everyone to zero?

We also still don't know who/what Q is, really.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

THEM

♪ BGM: Step By Step

Now, let's take a look at what happens when we favor Natsuhiko in this decision.

...!

(... This choice will determine the future. And my fate, Watase's fate, and Yuuri's fate as well...!)

(How is someone like me supposed to choose...!?)

Yet the fact that Watase hadn't launched a sneak attack on him meant--

(He really does want to let me choose...!)

Would he erase Watase's memories and smash his conviction to pieces?

(I don't want to do something like that, but...!)

Natsuhiko looked at Yuuri, who was standing by his side. She had let herself be locked away deep under LABO for nine years to protect Natsuhiko's peaceful life. He could feel her warmth through her hand.

(I can't let go of her ever again...!)

A few hours ago, Natsuhiko would have probably taken Yuuri in a heartbeat.

Things were different now that he knew all of Watase's memories and emotions--

...Watase, I don't want to erase you...! Even though your convictions run counter to my own... Even though you'll return to being that rescue worker full of justice if I simply erase your memories-~ I don't want to erase you...!
Natsuhiko...

As Natsuhiko gritted his teeth-- Yuuri smiled and spoke.

...Hey, Hikorin, don't beat yourself over it so much, okay?
Huh...?
You don't want to erase Captain Kasasagi's memories. I understand... but there's no need to erase them in the first place. I mean, this is what we promised from the very beginning. Isn't that right, Captain Kasasagi...? So I'm going to keep my promise.

Watase said nothing in response. Natsuhiko just stood there in a daze as Yuuri continued.

...I'm glad I made that deal with Captain Kasasagi back then, because that's what allowed everyone to get out of LABO safely. So... so that's why... I'm going to go with Captain Kasasagi.

Yuuri said that, then tried to walk away from Natsuhiko. But-- he wouldn't let her go.

No, Yuuri! There's no way in hell I can let you leave! Didn't I say I'd free you for sure this time!?
But... Hikorin...

Just then, Watase finally broke his silence.

Natsuhiko. Stopping her with words isn't what you need to do now. No, what you need to do is act. If you want Yuuri to be free, then there's something you have to do first, right?

Watase's voice was stern. But the light in his eyes was mysteriously gentle--

(So I have to do it...!?)
Yes, you have to do it.

Watase muttered that as if he'd read Natsuhiko's mind. Natsuhiko gritted his teeth, then looked at Watase and answered.

...I'm sorry, Watase... I'm going to break our promise... I'm... going to erase your memory for my own selfish reasons...!

--And with that declaration-- Natsuhiko used Senses Sympathy one last time.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

He felt something warm flow through him from the depths of Watase's mind.

{... Good. This is how it should be, Natsuhiko. You made that choice not because you're a monster. But because you're a human being who has someone dear to protect. And besides, you made this choice out of consideration for my feelings as well, right? So I... accept your decision.}

And as he listened to that voice--

Natsuhiko erased his memory.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 3, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

After Days

----
------ His consciousness was in an endless darkness.

???: (Where am I...?)

He didn't know. His head was a total blank.

???: (What is this...?)

He couldn't remember a thing.

???: (How did this happen?)

He desperately tried to figure out why. Soon enough, a mysterious voice whispered in the corners of his mind. As if praying for him to ''awaken''--

Me: ... Ugh... ghh...

Me: (...? Where am I...?)

With that thought in mind, I look around. I find myself lying in some sort of bed. Immaculate white sheets and the wafting scent of antiseptios... Looks like I'm in a hospital room of some sort. I see what appears to be a policeman standing in a corner of the room. And beside the bed, a boy and girl are looking at my face.

Ah...! You're awake...!
Th-thank goodness...! Captain Kasasagi, do you know who we are?

It looks like they know me. With that--

Na... Natsuhiko and... Yuuri...?

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

I ''remember'' them. I sit up in the bed and focus fully on them.

Wh-what's the meaning of this!? How the hell do I still remember you guys!? No... not just you guys... I remember everything...! How...?

It's not just Natsuhiko and Yuuri I remember. I remember it all-- every detail of my 32 years of life as Watase Kasasagi, the fact I'm a terrorist, the nine hours we spent trapped in LABO, our escape-- all of it--!

Natsuhiko answered by saying he'd use Senses Sympathy on me and-- No, what happened after that is the one thing that's a total blank.

...Natsuhiko, explain... Didn't you erase all of my memories?
...No, I didn't. The only thing I erased-- was your memory of 'that second'.
W... what...!?
...I couldn't let you take Yuuri away. No chance in hell. But I didn't want to erase you either. So just like I did before... I just took out a very small part of your memories to knock you unconscious.
...!

Upon hearing those words, I finally realize what he's getting at. --Back when I was trapped in LABO that day and still had amnesia--

He did that one more time to protect Yuuri.

...I figured that only erasing a very small part of your memory would minimize the shock of the memory loss... But I was still worried that you might've died.
...Hikorin has been waiting for you to wake up ever since then. He prayed from the bottom of his heart for you to survive.
...I see...

And so I survived. Not as a complete blank slate all over again, but as the terrorist I am.

...So this is your answer, Natsuhiko?
Yeah... this was the best I could do.

Natsuhiko sounds guilty about all this, so I give him a wry smile.

...Don't look so down. You made the completely right choice. I lost, fair and square.

Natsuhiko has nothing to say to that. I really don't like silence, so I continue.

Anyway, how long's it been since then? How're the others?
It's been three days. Everyone's okay. They've all been taken into the care of the ESP Bureau, so they're in a safe place now.
Then this hospital--
Yeah. It's a police hospital outside of Rokumei City. Waiting just outside the door is Prof. Tsubakiyama... and her coworkers.
So they've come to arrest me, huh...
...Yeah. They arrested Mr. Ukita too right after we all escaped.

Naturally, they've already taken my gun from me. That way I can't take Yuuri away even if I wanted to. Of course, I had no intention of doing so, but--

...Hey, Natsuhiko, Yuuri, can I ask you guys something?
What?
Why did you guys wait for me to wake up? I could have gone berserk and tried to take Yuuri away once I did for all you know. You guys should've stayed away from me and run off to somewhere safe instead. So why...

The two of them calmly answer my question.

...The reason we didn't is because we had faith you wouldn't do something like that.
We waited for you to wake up... because I wanted to apologize for breaking my promise to go with you...
...I see. Hahah... you guys are good kids.

I find myself saying that in an unexpectedly gentle voice. Their answers warm my heart. Hearing that they trusted me makes me incredibly happy for some reason. Even though I know their trust won't erase my crimes...

...Guess they'll put me on trial sooner or later.
...I'm sorry, Watase. Not only did I break our promise, but it's all my fault you have to go through that...
What're you apologizing for, you fool? Be proud of yourself. You did the right thing. It's just like you said... I should be tried by the law for my crimes.
...That's true.
I'll spend the rest of my life in atonement. Up until the day I die. I've already resigned myself to that... but there's just one regret I have left.
Regret...?
How in the end I failed to hold the Rokumei City government accountable for their wrongdoings.

That truly is the one thing I regret. I look off into the distance and continue.

...I lost two comrades that day. Our methods were wrong. It'd probably be true to say that I'm reaping what I sowed. But... Our desire to bring judgement upon the true villains-- Rokumei City's puppetmasters... That desire was genuine.
That city has been stomping on far too many lives for far too long. Lives like Nagisa's... Will her spirit and everyone else's ever truly be at a rest? Will the city just keep repeating the same mistakes? I can no longer bring the dead any final closure... That's the one thing I regret from the bottom of my heart.

I grit my teeth in frustration. But at that moment-- Natsuhiko takes my hand and speaks.

...I won't let your feelings go to waste. We'll make sure to carry them on.
...Huh?
Watase, we were touched by the minds and feelings of everyone in the facility that day. Including yours. All of them have carved a conviction into my mind as well... That city cannot be left to its own devices.
...!

A light of determination fills Natsuhiko's eyes. Yuuri nods and continues.

We're working to reveal the truth they've kept hidden all these years, and change the city. We won't resort to terrorism... but you and Mr. Ukita will get the fight you hoped for.
...It's likely we'll be putting ourselves in danger by doing this. We don't know how long it'll take for the battle to end once it starts. We don't know how long it'll take for the battle to end once it starts. But we have comrades on our side. Mashiro, Salyu, Mom, Prof. Tsubakiyama, Ms. Tachibana and Jun... So we promise we'll put an end to that city's mistakes. We'll ensure no one else has to be sacrificed.
...You guys...!

The looks on their faces are no longer those of children, but adults. Natsuhiko firmly grips my hand and continues.

...By the time you've finished your atonement, I'm sure the world will be a much better place. So let's meet again in that better world. Not as a terrorist and a Communicator-- But as 'comrades' who survived that day in LABO together.
...Yeah!

And with that answer, I grip Natsuhiko's hand back.

And thus we have our second ending. Watase and Ukita are arrested, and the rest of the gang dedicate themselves to fighting against Rokumei City and LABO. I think this ending has better chances of success than the last one, but what do I know, I'm the fucknut that's on Team Malice. Anyway, there are some more endings to be found, and they depend on a choice we made earlier. So next time, we're going back and changing that choice to get two different endings here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It occurs to me that having voting periods that last longer than the time it takes me to post the results of both choices seems a bit off. Well, I guess it's a bit late to have that thought.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That Clue reference you made made me laugh pretty hard. It's nice to find someone who liked that movie as well.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Man we should be able to sacrifice Mashiron or Kazami too.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Man we should be able to sacrifice Mashiron or Kazami too.

See, the problem with sacrificing Mashiro is that Salyu will murder you for suggesting it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

See, the problem with sacrificing Mashiro is that Salyu will murder you for suggesting it.
But if you frame it as what's needed for justice, Mashiro will just charge into it without thinking. It's foolproof! :downs:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ONE BY ONE

Alright, so there's two more endings hidden that we unlock based on our answer to this question. In the last two endings, we were on our ''canon'' playthrough where we made Natsuhiko decide he wouldn't erase Watase's memory at the end, and because of that, Natsuhiko only gave Watase the mind tap to knock him out.

But what if we made Natsuhiko decide that yes, wiping Watase's memory so that he forgets his connection to Q is a good idea?

Well, both endings change somewhat. As you'll see, we don't have the Senses input here, it comes a bit later.

...!

--Watase's face was full of conviction. Q may have been a terrorist organization, but it did conduct its actions with a just cause. Watase chose to stick to those intentions even if it meant making enemies with Natsuhiko.

(But... Watase's not simply sticking to his mission heartlessly...)

If Natsuhiko merely willed it, Watase's memories would disappear in an instant. And yet Watase didn't just attack Natsuhiko by surprise, meaning--

Now, let's go with the one that favors Watase first.

(Can I choose...!?)

If it were at all possible, he wanted to fulfill Watase's wishes. They were partners who had once established an emotional bond, after all.

(... But I can't just go and do that, can I!?)

(There's no way in hell I can just hand Yuuri over to Q after she's done all that--...)

--As he thought to himself, suddenly--

An epiphany struck him like lightning.

(Th-that's it... How did I not think of that...!?)

There was but a single way. A single way to both fulfill Watase's demands and save Yuuri at the same time.

(That's it! That's the only way...! If it means not having to hand Yuuri over, then it's a much better alternative!)

He looked Watase straight in the eye and spoke.

Say, Watase...
...What?
The Communicator that's to accompany you... the Communicator that's to cooperate with Q, that is-- --It doesn't have to be Yuuri, does it?
!?

Yuuri's eyes widened instantly. She probably understood the meaning behind Natsuhiko's words.

...I do, Yuuri. I'm going with Watase in your stead. Hey Watase, that's okay with you, isn't it?

When Natsuhiko asked that question, Watase responded--

...I can't argue with that.

--as if he had been waiting for those words.

...Natsuhiko, don't put yourself through trouble.
...Shut up. I'm not doing it for you. I just want Yuuri to have a--
No, Hikorin! You mustn't go with Captain Kasasagi!

Yuuri interrupted Natsuhiko.

It's not like you want to join Q, do you, Hikorin!? This incident will put Q on the radar of even more organizations! If you go with Captain Kasasagi, you'll never be able to return to a normal lifestyle, you know!? You'll never see everyone again! I don't want that, Hikorin! Don't go!

But Natsuhiko shook his head and gripped her hand.

...Yuuri, thank you for being so considerate. But you've been saving me continuously these past nine years... So now it's my turn to save you.
Th-then... If you're going, then I'm coming too, Hikorin!
No. It's dangerous. You won't be able to see Mashiro, Salyu, or Mom either, you know? So you can't come with me. I'm going alone.
No, Hikorin! I don't want that!

Yuuri screamed as heavy teardrops rained from her eyes. She was like a child throwing a tantrum. Hearing her voice like that reminded Natsuhiko of a sight he had seen in her memory.

Yuuri manipulated Natsuhiko's memories in LABO. All to save him from his stupefaction...

(... I'm returning the favor.)
I thought... I thought this time we'd finally be able to be together... I wanted us... to be together... *sob* forever... *sob*... *sniff*...
Yuuri...

Natsuhiko placed his hand on Yuuri's shoulder-- and smiled gently at her.

...It's okay. There's no need to be sad.
...Huh?
You and I are always together. I'll always be with you. As long as you keep me in mind.
As long as I keep you in mind...? You mean...?

Yuuri's voice suddenly stiffened. She probably realized what Natsuhiko was trying to do.

Thanks for everything, Yuuri.

Natsuhiko whispered that to her... and then used Senses Sympathy one last time.

He felt something warm flow through him from the depths of her mind.

{I'll never forget that you saved me! So I--}

And with that thought, Yuuri's mind began to quietly crumble apart. A lone desire came to her mind from a fragment of her fading memories.

{I'll come see you, I swear...!}

But those words faded into light--...

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 3, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AFTER DAYS

...Mmm...

I find myself in my bed in the Tenkawa household. Of course I do. After all, ever since that incident, I've always gone to sleep and woken up in this room. I sit up and stretch wide.

Hwaaahh~aah...

I get the feeling I had a very sad dream-- but I can't seem to remember what it was. But somehow I know... that I've often had this dream after we escaped from LABO that day. I get off my bed, change my clothes, and leave my room.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Oh, Yuuri. Good morning.
Good morning.
Ah, you're awake. Breakfast is ready~
Professor. Salyu. Mashiron. Good morning.

I answer everyone's morning greetings.

And... Good morning, Hikorin.

Good morning, Yuuri.

Mashiron, Salyu, Dr. Tenkawa, and Hikorin. Everyone's here this calm morning. Everything I've ever wanted is right here.

Now, now, sit down Yuuri. I'll serve you.
Okay, thank you.

I sit down at Mashiron's prompting. The newscaster on TV was rambling on in a matter-of-fact tone of voice.

Newscaster: --Next on the news. A new statement has been made by 'Q', an organization seen as an extremist group for years. This statement has shocked the world with its included Communicator testimony. The government has recognized the severity of the situation and is assembling a special task force to--

But Dr. Tenkawa turns the TV off before the news can finish.

Huh, what's wrong?
It's nothing. I just don't like leaving the TV on during meals.
Now, now, it's time for breakfast. You're all hungry, aren't you?
Mmm.
True.

Listening to Salyu and Hikorin makes me smile.

...Still, I'm glad.
Hmm? What for?
I'm glad we all can share a meal around the table. I'm glad I get to live with everyone in peaceful days after getting out of LABO... It just makes me super duper happy.
Yuuri, you're happy?
Yeah!

When I say that, the professor, Yuuri, and Salyu all look sad for some reason. Hikorin alone looks at me with a smile on his face-- --After breakfast has finished and all the dishes have been put away, Mashiron calls out to me.

Hey, Yuuri. Care to take a little walk with me?
Huh? What's this all of a sudden?
There's something we want you to see.
Hmm~?
...If you're going on a walk, I'll come too.

Salyu joins in on Mashiron's suggestion.

In that case, why don't we all go together--
No, no. Just the three of us.

Mashiron's voice sounds a little tense... so I end up answering without thinking.

O-okay. Fine by me. ...Okay. Bye Hikorin. Bye Professor. We're going on a walk.
...Yes.
Okay. Have fun.

Okay, let's go.
Yes.
Where are we going?
Just follow me for now.
So is where we're going a secret?
...Right. Well, it -is- a secret place, I guess.

She's acting a little strange, isn't she... I suddenly get that impression. My heart pounds a little.

We eventually come across a familiar building.

This is...
Yes. It's our secret base.
It's been a while, hasn't it? How many years now?
I brought you here today because there's something I want to talk about. Well, let's just go in for now.
Y-yeah.

It looks just like how I've remembered it these nine years. As I bask in nostalgia, Mashiron starts to mutter quietly.

... Say, Yuuri. What do you think the 'truth' is?
Huh?

The abrupt question leaves me confused.

Perhaps the truth isn't something you need to know. Perhaps you'd be happier living in a lie. But you know... I still think you really should know the truth, Yuuri. You're a lot stronger than I am, after all... You probably have the strength to accept the truth...

Mashiron speaks in a cautionary tone. Salyu looks at me expectantly. It causes my heart to sway.

(Don't tell me...)

At that moment, a certain premonition runs through my head. Everyone's sad faces at breakfast. The sad dream I have every night. How Mashiron had stressed the word ''truth'' just now. --All the pieces hint to a certain answer.

I can't believe it. No, I don't want to believe it, but-- ...To be honest, I may have already realized the truth. Perhaps I've only been feigning ignorance. As I ponder that point, Mashiron speaks.

Say, Yuuri... Let me ask you for just one thing. No matter what it is we're about to talk about... Don't run away. Let's face the truth together.

Mashiron and Salyu both look me straight in the eye. I look back into their eyes and answer.

I won't run away, Mashiron. I won't run. Ever.

And so here's our next ending. Natsuhiko tries to reverse the situation by making Yuuri see a phantom Natsuhiko - partially because he hopes that it would make her happier having him around in some fashion, and probably partially because he can't have her running around hunting for terrorists shouting ''I WANT MY HIKORIN''. Sadly, his plan didn't quite work out, and now Yuuri, alongside Mashiro and Salyu, are going to be chasing Natsuhiko down. Probably not a good idea, given that the last time they chased down terrorists, they all almost died, like, a dozen times. Oh well.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Natsuhiko became the worst. Again.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Well, to be fair this is a direct consequence of a conscious choice of the player, so really We Are All The Worst.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SIN

(How is someone like me supposed to choose...!?)

The day-to-day life he once thought precious was built upon the sacrifice of many others. And-- perhaps sacrifice was indeed necessary to right the wrongs of the world.

(But even so...!)

Natsuhiko looked at Yuuri, who was standing by his side. She had let herself be locked away deep under LABO for nine years to protect Natsuhiko's peaceful life. He could feel her warmth through her hand.

(I don't want to let go of her again...!)

A few hours ago, Natsuhiko would have probably taken Yuuri in a heartbeat. But things were different now that he knew about Nagisa's death and the truth behind Rokumei City's facade.

(If I knew things would turn out like this, I never would've bothered searching for the truth in the first place...!)

Natsuhiko gritted his teeth with that thought, but then-- Yuuri smiled and spoke.

...Hey, Hikorin, don't beat yourself over it so much, okay?
Huh...?
There's no need for you to make a decision at all. I mean, this is what I promised Captain Kasasagi, remember? Isn't that right, Captain Kasasagi...? So I'm going to keep my promise.

Watase said nothing in response. Natsuhiko just stood there in a daze as Yuuri continued.

...I'm glad I made that deal with Captain Kasasagi back then, because that's what allowed everyone to get out of LABO safely. So... so that's why... I'm going to go with Captain Kasasagi.

Yuuri said that, then tried to walk away from Natsuhiko. But-- he wouldn't let her go.

No, Yuuri! There's no way in hell I can let you leave! We're gonna go back to the others together!
But... Hikorin...

Just then, Watase finally broke his silence.

Natsuhiko. Stopping her with words isn't what you need to do now. No, what you need to do is act. If you want to be with Yuuri, then there's something you have to do first, right?

Watase's voice was stern. But the light in his eyes was mysteriously gentle--

...!

It was then that Natsuhiko realized what Watase wanted.

(So I have to do it...!?)
Yes, you have to do it.

Watase muttered that as if he'd read Natsuhiko's mind. He then began to put pressure on his gun's trigger--

Watase!!

And at that moment, Natsuhiko used Senses Sympathy one last time.

He felt something warm flow through him from the depths of Watase's mind.

{... Good. This is how it should be, Natsuhiko. Sacrificing you kids is the truly wrong thing to do here. And you acted only after you understood my feelings, right? So I... accept this decision.}

And with that thought, Watase's mind began to quietly crumble apart. All his memories were vanishing. A lone question came to his mind from a fragment of those thoughts.

{Hey, Wataru... was I wrong?}

But those words faded into light--...

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 3, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Before Crime

------ His consciousness was in an endless darkness.

???: (Where am I...?)

He didn't know. His head was a total blank.

???: (What is this...?)

He couldn't remember a thing.

???: (How did this happen?)

He desperately tried to figure out why. Soon enough, a mysterious voice whispered in the corners of his mind. It whispered but one word: ''awaken''--

Me: ... Mmm...

Me: (...? Where am I...?)

With that thought in mind, I look around. I find myself lying in some sort of bed. Immaculate white sheets and the wafting scent of antiseptics... Looks like I'm in a hospital room of some sort. Just then, two women look down on my face.

Ah...! You've finally come to, haven't you!?
Th-thank God! Captain, do you know who I am?

Looks like those two know me. But I don't remember them at all. Not in the slightest.

Who are...? No, more importantly, where am I...?

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Their expressions freeze upon hearing my question.

C-Captain...!
S... so he's really got amnesia again...!?
(Amnesia...?)

Once I hear that, I try to think about myself. But-- my brain's a complete blank slate. Stunned, I frantically launch a barrage of questions at the women.

What the hell is this!? What's going on!? I can't remember anything!
Y-you guys know, right!? Who in the world am I!?

After a brief period of silence, they answer my question.

You're... a rescue squad captain.
A rescue squad...?
Yes... you were brought to this hospital after getting injured during a mission. It's likely you lost your memories due to that injury...
You see, you risked your life to save everyone. You ran all the way through poisonous gas... and used your own body as a shield to protect a girl from falling debris.
I did all that...?
Yes... because you were like a model rescue worker.
...!?

Something about what they're saying just feels off for some reason. It just didn't sound accurate.

(I'm... a rescue squad captain...? --No! That's not true! I can tell!)

I'm bursting with the overwhelming sense that I've failed to accomplish something.

...Hey guys, can you be honest with me?
Huh?
I'm not that admirable of a person, am I? It's like I'm more... no, I can't put it into words, but...!
Wh-what are you talking about!?
She's right! You are a genuine rescue squad captain, through and through!

--Their attempts to gloss things over is all the proof I need to come to a conclusion: ''These women are lying.''

Just then--

--!?

A scene from what I believe to be my past flashes through my head for a second.

(That's right! There's something-- something I had to do for her sake!)

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Urged on by that impulse, I leap out of bed.

Wait, where are you going!?

I ignore her question and run barefoot. But then I see a black suited man blocking the door out of the room.

Black Suited Man 1: Hey! Stop it, you bastard!

The man reaches into his pocket,

Outta my way!

but I immediately knock him off his feet.

Black Suited Man 1: Gwagh!

I keep up that momentum and open the door.

Don't do it, Captain!
Wait! Don't go, Watase!

I shake off their warnings and rush out of the room.

Black Suited Man 1: Wait!
Black Suited Man 2: Don't let him get away!
Black Suited Man 3: What the hell are you doing!? Catch him!

I see two more black suited men out in the hallway. I manage to shove them away too. I don't really get what's going on. Why are those men chasing me? But at any rate, my goal is to run outside.

???: Captain Kasasagi! Stop right there!

A sharp, sudden shout brings me to a halt.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

I turn around to see a woman standing there, accompanied by men in imposing suits.

What...? Don't tell me those guys chasing me are your doing?
Quit joking. I'd appreciate it if you don't group me in with those guys.
Hmph, well, whatever. Either way, you've come to capture me too, right?
No. I'm here to protect you.
What...?

As I reel in confusion, the woman orders the men to step back.

A little, yes... Then can I ask you a question?
What?
You called me 'Captain Kasasagi' just now, didn't you? That means you know who I am too, don't you?
Yes, I know you quite well. Both before your amnesia and after. What's more, I've looked into your life.
Then tell me. Who am I? I feel like I had to fulfill some sort of duty... but it looks like I've even forgotten what that was. I can only vaguely remember it... What is it that I have to do...?

The woman smiles faintly at my question.

--It might be better for you not to know.
...Huh?
The person you are now may vanish completely if you get your memories back. What's more, you and I could become enemies in that case. There's no turning back once you learn the truth. Are you still sure you won't regret it?

Her solemn question leaves me speechless. I get the distinct feeling something like this has happened before. But even so--

...I don't care. I'm sure it must be better than living completely in the dark.
I see... I figured you'd say something like that, given your circumstances. Then let's talk. I'll tell you all about what kind of person you are and how you lived... What I am about to tell you is your 'truth'.

And so that's the fourth ending. Watase gets mindwiped by Natsuhiko, but he can't accept it and ends up finding out the truth about himself, which sets him back on his path to revenge against Rokumei City and LABO, leaving pretty much nothing resolved. Also, I'm really confused as to whether Watase goes on trial here or not. Well, that was a bit of a wash.

...now, of course, you already figured that couldn't quite be it. Well, one thing I didn't see anybody point out is that we spent all that time in Route After and Route Before chasing down those friendship scenes, and it was explicitly pointed out they were for getting extra scenes in the epilogue. I don't feel like we've seen much of that yet. And so, yes, there is still one ending left to get. And yes, I once again withheld that option to you from voting. I'm a prick, is what I'm getting at. Anyway, next time, we're going for the real ending.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You should have used the nice N to wrath N as an avatar for the "I'm a prick" line.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 2, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

The Clue cards pretty much gave it away, though. It just wouldn't be right to use those ones and not the "But here's what really happened" one.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

What I'm getting out of all these "good" endings is that memory wiping simply doesn't work as a solution to the game's conflicts. Too many other people (and sometimes the mindwipe target themselves) retain their knowledge of the events that occurred in LABO for them to stay oblivious for long.

Obviously this means the correct solution is to mindwipe everyone, Natsuhiko himself included :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Zack Ater posted:

The Clue cards pretty much gave it away, though. It just wouldn't be right to use those ones and not the "But here's what really happened" one.

Yeah, that was kind of obvious, though I think only a minority of people get that.

Alternatively, I *could* have worked together with Danaru to write up some sort of bizarre "best ending" which involves Watase, Jun and Salyu beating up everybody at Q, LABO, Rokumei City and Betelgeuse New Treatments at once and just solving the problems with increasingly complex and improbable wrestling moves and liberal engine cutter use, and use that title card for that, and end the LP on that. That would have been a good option, I think.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, that was kind of obvious, though I think only a minority of people get that.

Alternatively, I *could* have worked together with Danaru to write up some sort of bizarre "best ending" which involves Watase, Jun and Salyu beating up everybody at Q, LABO, Rokumei City and Betelgeuse New Treatments at once and just solving the problems with increasingly complex and improbable wrestling moves and liberal engine cutter use, and use that title card for that, and end the LP on that. That would have been a good option, I think.

WATASEMANIA REIGNS SUPREME!

Also I laughed at the Clue Cards too.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I always get a good chuckle whenever the Clue Cards pop up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Root Double / To Each Their Memories: 09/16/2030, 18:49

Alright, so it's time to do things right for the last time.

As you might have suspected, the correct solution is to set both Natsuhiko and Watase to the maximum value. The game just loves putting you into situations where you think you absolutely have to make a decision, but nope, not making a decision is the correct decision. A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. Anyway, let's see what that gets us.

...!

(No... How the hell do you expect me to choose!?)

He still had that thought. Following Watase's suggestion would just be a repeat of the same mistakes--!

No matter how much you want me to...!
What...?

Even if I had no other choice, I've had enough. If I erase your memory, the current you will be annihilated. Even if you survive... One day your memory will come back, and I'll have to erase it again... Wouldn't we just be repeating our same mistakes? I seriously don't want any more of it.

Remember what I said? I won't tolerate... anyone becoming a sacrifice for any reason.
...I know that. But this choice isn't like that last one. Regardless of what you choose, it's not like anyone's going to die. So you should be able to make a choice. And I'm sure there's only one route that you need to choose... Correct?
...But...

Watase smiled wryly at Natsuhiko's muttering.

Natsuhiko... Don't disappoint me. How can you protect what's precious to you if you can't harden your heart?

--Natsuhiko's and Watase's beliefs contradicted each other. Neither could sway the other's conviction. There could not have been a way for both of their ideals to be upheld simultaneously. But even in the face of that impasse, Natsuhiko did not lose determination.

(I can't erase Watase's memory... nor can I sacrifice myself. But I'll still search for a route we can both walk down upon...!)

As Natsuhiko grasped at straws to find that route, Watase spoke up.

...Is there nothing that can bring you to a decision?

Watase pulled back the gun's hammer. As if to press Natsuhiko to an answer. But Natsuhiko held back his fear and thought to himself. Could he do nothing to persuade Watase?

...The helicopter will probably get here soon. There's no time for hesitation. Obviously, I don't want to do this... but I can still take Yuuri away by force if I have to.

Watase placed his finger on the trigger. Natsuhiko held back his fear and thought desperately. He used all of his knowledge at hand to desperately think, think, and think, and think again, when finally--

He finally realized something. Within all the fragments of memories he had seen so far-- Was a ''truth'' that could pierce Watase's mind!

(I-is that it...!? Could that convince Watase too...!? But should I tell him out loud!?)

No, that probably wouldn't cut it! It was not something that could be conveyed verbally. Facts alone were not enough. Neither were emotions. But put both facts and emotions together and--

(... I can do that...!)

When the nine survivors were searching for a way to escape together, fragmentary visions flickered before their eyes. Within those fragmentary visions, they found ''meaningful information''. And thus, everyone's minds united.

(I can invoke that phenomenon once more! With my ability--!)

--There was no time more opportune to use his ability than now. With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko raised his voice.

...What?
It's not my choice. It's yours. Now that you know the truth, it's up to you to remake your decision. Your choice on how to live your life from now on.
What...? What are you saying?
You don't know...? No, with nothing but the memories you've seen, of course you wouldn't know. By themselves, our memories as individuals are imperfect, no more than fragments of information.

Natsuhiko focused on Watase as he spoke. With the light of conviction burning in his eyes.

...I've been thinking. Why was I given such an incredible power unfitting of my stature? I'd be better off without this power... That's what I've always thought. But now, I finally understand. BC doesn't exist to erase or warp memories at all. It exists to connect people's minds.
Natsuhiko, what are you...!?

Natsuhiko's words confused Watase. Just then-- Suddenly, they heard the ticking of a watch's second hand.

!?

Watase gasped and looked at his left arm.

The watch's time and date-- ''9/16'' ''11:45 PM''

Wha...!? Why...!?
...It all began in 2014. And for 16 years, the truth had been concealed. But by weaving the memories of all nine of us together, that truth comes into plain view...!

Natsuhiko took the phenomenon he had witnessed earlier and made it his own: That is, the phenomenon of memory playback.

(But I'm not just playing back Watase's memories! I'm playing back the memories of several people!)

He had taken countless fragmentary memories and compiled them together like a film to create something with meaning. He brought together the truth as-is, without any memory manipulation, all in a wager to try and change Watase's mind--!

Behold, Watase! This is the -truth-!!

And that moment--

Their surroundings suddenly burned up in flames. And the landscape of Lake Rokumei changed into the sight of Rokumei City Hospital--...! --And time reversed to that night.

Leave me and save yourself...!
What are you saying...? There's no way in hell I can I do that...

Watase Kasasagi ran away from the flames with his twin sister, Wataru.

Didn't I tell you that if you were in grave danger, I'd save you even if it cost me my life...?
But we'll -both- die at this rate...! You might still have a chance to get out of here by yourself...!
Watase! You can't give up! You have to keep fighting on and on until the bitter end... If you wanna die, you can do that later!

--Elsewhere that same night-- A government official passed away.

Ena: Daddy... I'll keep my promise. So please watch over me in Heaven until then, okay?

She made a solemn oath. To protect what her father had died trying to--

Alice Enflamme. A woman once called a ''monster'' and a ''witch''. She was the trigger to the Great Rokumei City Arson-- and was confined in LABO after the incident.

The girl who would later come to be known as Salyu lived the first thirteen years of her life as a test subject raised in LABO.

He saved two young girls from a collapsing apartment after a gas explosion.

Ugh...

Are you okay!? I'm gonna get you to a safe place soon, so just hold on tight!

Her death triggered her older sister, Kazami Tachibana, to set her sights on a new way of life.

But why? This is so sudden...
No, it isn't. I've thought everything through, and this is the conclusion I reached.

Since she could not save her sister's life, she decided to work to save the lives of others instead.

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Locking down all gates and bulkheads.

...It's okay, Hikorin... I'm glad... that you stayed with me... until the end.

Yuuri... Yuuri breathed her last breath last night...
No way... Aah, aah... AaaaAAAHHHH!!

He's been like that ever since he learned about Yuuri's death... He couldn't come to terms with the truth... and he shut his mind away...
...No...

--That day, Mashiro swore upon her heart. That she would support Natsuhiko until he returned to normal.

But she couldn't bear to do it, and gave him falsified memories instead.

I'm sorry, Professor... I... couldn't do it.
...That's fine. Let's go before Natsuhiko wakes up...

The multitude of memories wove into a single message. The words Natsuhiko wanted to tell Watase--!

{Listen up, Watase! This is the other truth to the incident 16 years ago!}

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

Kuroda: And then that tragedy occurred.

The Anti-BC League. The Anti-BC League...!

OK, Natsuhiko, I think we could have done without repeating that part and slowing it down for emphasis. Your editing skills could use some work.

--When strung together, the words said in the past formed a single meaning.

{''The Anti-BC League''-- That name sound familiar? Remember, Watase... You've seen that very group sixteen years ago!}
(!!)

As soon as Natsuhiko said that, Watase recalled his own memories.

Oh... they must be that BC rejection citizen group that's been troubling the city recently.

{Remember...!? They're the citizen group you and Wataru saw in front of the PRC back then. They're the ones that drove Communicator A to N-ification... They're the ones who formed Q!}

--That was the first truth he needed to tell Watase. The next was the truth of the incident nine years ago--

And the targeted homes were partially destroyed... and some people even died.

Kuroda: So instead, the city government hushed those incidents and treated them as mere accidents.

{Nine years ago, they returned to this city and conducted destructive activity. In other words, the incident in the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex was no ordinary gas explosion... It was a bomb attack from Q, wasn't it!?}

Tips posted:

TIP: Rokumei Municipal Complex Gas Explosion
Category: Fiction

At 3 PM on April 7, 2021, a gas explosion occurred in the east building of the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex.

The building was nearly 44 years old and had traces of negligent construction work such as the use of segregated concrete. After the impact of the blast, the building became unable to support its own weight, and thus partially collapsed from the sixth floor all the way down. Many residents were killed or injured-- at least according to the official reports. The nearly half-century old Rokumei City was a so-called ward for the special treatment of Communicators... and so for several reasons, the apartment complex had essentially become a dwelling place exclusively for families with Communicators. In other words, it was the most suitable target for Q's terrorism.

Afterwards, Rokumei City made drastic improvements to security under the name of protecting the city's BC researchers and its Communicator citizens from the dangers of assault.

April 7, 2021.

That day is said by many to be the birth of the government designated city Rokumei seen today.

{W-wait! That's nothing but conjecture, isn't it!? Where's the proof!?}
{Even without proof, there's enough material to pass judgment. Inside your memory, that is.}
{What?}
{You've been doing rescue work this in this City for years and years, haven't you? Then I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Nine years ago in the spring, a building was partially destroyed-- and people died inside-- Was there even one other incident like that besides the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex Gas Explosion?}
{...!}

--Nine years ago in the spring, Q carried out ''destructive activity''. It was an incident where ''homes were partially destroyed and people died'', yet ''it was treated as an accident''. What could that incident be referring to? ...The lack of any other matching incidents made the answer clear. After along silent pause, Watase muttered the answer.

{N-no... there were no other such incidents...! The only Spring 2021 incident in this city that met those conditions was the one where Nagisa died!}
{...!}

That was the answer they had arrived at-- The one single truth that would move Watase's heart and change his mind.

----
--
--And then Watase returned to reality.

Ghh...

He was at a loss for words. Watase had ''remembered'' the memories of nine people as a single chain of events. It was a more lifelike experience compared to the telepathy he had received in the control room. It felt as if he had seen 16 years of Rokumei City's history in an instant...!

♪ BGM: Rondo Carrousel (Instrumental Arrange)

Is this... is this what you wanted to tell me, Natsuhiko?
...Yeah.
So the Great Arson and the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex Gas Explosion-- Were both caused by Q...!?

Natsuhiko sternly nodded. --The truth behind those incidents had been covered up by the efforts of various people. But no matter how hard they tried to hide it-- The truth remained within the fragments of memories.

...So tell me, Watase. Are you still going to stay with the organization that caused Wataru's death...?
...!

Watase gritted his teeth and hung his head.

But just as many instances of justice existed in this city as well. Q was no more than a single instance, but still--

Watase finally understood that.

(... So in the end, does terrorism really beget nothing but tragedy...!? I thought that nothing would change without sacrifices...)

(The same drat government that doesn't mind sacrificing others for the sake of public order, for the sake of science, for the sake of money and self-protection...!)

Watase lifted his head and looked at Natsuhiko and Yuuri.

...Watase. You and I are different in just about every way. I will never be you, and I will probably never understand you from the bottom of my heart.
But even if two people can never come to mutual understanding-- If they compromise and search together, they're sure to find a brand new route to take.

After hearing those words-- Watase's convictions finally crumbled.

...Yeah.

Watase quietly lowered his gun. And then he wordlessly looked up to the night sky.

Sparkling stars dotted the whole sky. The stars were spread out far apart, and never seemed to overlap. Much in the same way that human hearts never do. The distance between them all was hopelessly far. But regardless--

(... Regardless... we strive for mutual understanding... Without ever abandoning the desire to walk side by side...!)

Once he reached the epiphany of what people were meant to do-- He felt the dark intentions that had been ruling him finally fade away. ...Eventually, a wind-cutting sound approached from the distance. A helicopter's silhouette drew down from the night sky...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...drat. Everything was connected in ways we couldn't see.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh huh, I always figured the apartment explosion was caused by Nagisa exploding like Alice did that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Knew they'd go for the hat trick.

Is that it, or is there anything else?

Edit: Do you still get this ending if you picked poorly on the earlier 'Erase Watase's Memories Later' choice?

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 3, 2017

• Locked thread