Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Kholdsteel the Rathian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Half the reason the old monsters suck so much is because styles either make them into gigantic chumps like with Najarala/Nargacuga or make the glaring flaws they have more apparent like with Rathian.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I really don't like styles. They're really fun and all but they just made me feel far too powerful compared to the monsters I was fighting. It almost felt like I never stopped playing 4U with my dream sets that let me clown all over stuff, except I was doing it with like zero setup and oh god I just realized I'm a grognard now

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Rathalos was just as awful and boring and unfun in 4U than he was in Generations except in Gen at least when I get sick of his poo poo I can do a sky uppercut into his head with my SnS.

Without styles the game would not be less fun for me since 4U was great and styles really only add some spice a few times a hunt, but it's a nice flair to have on combat and they never really have a huge impact (I guess adept debates non withstanding)

They seem to be really keen on progress though. Styles for spice, they've added a save port so you can get a leg up on G rank, transmog armor for the fashion hunters out there, etc. We can only go up.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zeratanis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAGqdygI6oY&t=85s

Frontier's take on juicing up Rathian is quite hilarious and fun imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCRmVw8H3N8&t=175s

lol frontier is dumb

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Maybe part of the "easiness" of styles is the fact that Generations only goes to Hard rank and doesn't have G? I know that even Lvl 10 Hellblade is nothing compared to 140 F. Rajang or S. Jho. Maybe those who've played XX can weigh in?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Half the reason the old monsters suck so much is because styles either make them into gigantic chumps like with Najarala/Nargacuga or make the glaring flaws they have more apparent like with Rathian.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I really don't like styles. They're really fun and all but they just made me feel far too powerful compared to the monsters I was fighting. It almost felt like I never stopped playing 4U with my dream sets that let me clown all over stuff, except I was doing it with like zero setup and oh god I just realized I'm a grognard now

Without touching the rest: Najarala was god drat awful to fight and I'm glad to have a "don't care, just kill it" option in Aerial, and Nargacuga is still ridiculously fun to fight even if it's easy with Adept. :swoon:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sorry but I would love to fight this anime narga. The only dumb attacks I'm seeing are the ones that shoot projectiles in every direction for no reason.

Edit: Also that leaping hammer attack looks pretty bad

Triarii fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 31, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I remember some discussion back when XX dropped about people converting their Generations saves to X to transfer. I never looked into it, but if we do get Switch/3DS Double Generations in the West, I would really like to not start over. Does it work the other way around?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Zodack posted:

Rathalos was just as awful and boring and unfun in 4U than he was in Generations except in Gen at least when I get sick of his poo poo I can do a sky uppercut into his head with my SnS.

Without styles the game would not be less fun for me since 4U was great and styles really only add some spice a few times a hunt, but it's a nice flair to have on combat and they never really have a huge impact (I guess adept debates non withstanding)

They seem to be really keen on progress though. Styles for spice, they've added a save port so you can get a leg up on G rank, transmog armor for the fashion hunters out there, etc. We can only go up.

See, that's what trips me up as well. Styles own. Hunter arts own. I love using them. It's entirely possible I'm just talking out of my rear end here.

I figure since 4U was my first MH, as opposed to the people who've been playing more games than me, I'm less sick of fighting the same monsters over and over, but the whole point of playing Monster Hunter for me over a clone like God Eater or something was my limited skillset to the monsters I was fighting. If I wanted to be able to run circles around monsters I could play another game, but Monster Hunter was the game I had to really work for the ability to do that in.

Generations​ just felt like it went way too far in the other direction for my tastes, I guess. I get that the franchise needs to move forward in a serious way but it really just didn't work for me. I can see it being a breath of fresh air to other people though.

Camel Camus posted:

Maybe part of the "easiness" of styles is the fact that Generations only goes to Hard rank and doesn't have G? I know that even Lvl 10 Hellblade is nothing compared to 140 F. Rajang or S. Jho. Maybe those who've played XX can weigh in?

This is what I'm hoping for. Despite whatever I may say I legit enjoyed my time in Gen and wish there was more challenging content that didn't get completely trivalized by Adept GS. I'll get XX when it comes out over here but I've got a feeling I'm probably just chasing the dragon at this point for the feeling 4U gave me and I'll probably never get that again because I'm in too deep.

I swear man, just one more Naked and Afraid. I swear I'll be good after that. Just one more hit, Capcom.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Guys, just use guild style. Just, that's all you need to do.

Also nargacuga is a fantastic fight on guild lance, at least in 4u. You need to really be quick on your toes to do the charge leap out of his circling, but he can still stun you/swipe you back in/you run out of stamina. It's fun!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Wrist Watch posted:

I figure since 4U was my first MH, as opposed to the people who've been playing more games than me, I'm less sick of fighting the same monsters over and over, but the whole point of playing Monster Hunter for me over a clone like God Eater or something was my limited skillset to the monsters I was fighting. If I wanted to be able to run circles around monsters I could play another game, but Monster Hunter was the game I had to really work for the ability to do that in.

The problem is that Generations was your second Monster Hunter game. Everybody's trip through their first MH game is the best kind of nightmare, where you're fighting tooth and nail just to survive against these massive enemies. By the time you finish, you've learned how to approach an unknown threat, figured out how the weapons generally work, and have the basic game mechanics down well enough that you're not guzzling potions anytime something looks at you.

I can't argue that styles didn't make Gen an easier game overall, because of course having more options for fine-tuning your playstyle makes things easier. But I'd wager that the lion's share of that comes from the fact that you're an experienced hunter under whatever crappy gear or crazy new monsters they throw at you.

If Double Cross came out tomorrow and you used nothing but guild style, you'd still think it was easier than 4U. The pond doesn't get smaller; the fish get bigger.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

if your having to gimp yourself to make the game fun on a first playthrough maybe its the game that's bad hmm

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

if your having to gimp yourself to make the game fun on a first playthrough maybe its the game that's bad hmm

This is one hell of a hot take. Blistering, really

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Guild style isn't a gimp, it's just a different way to play.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sprite141 posted:

Also nargacuga is a fantastic fight on guild lance, at least in 4u. You need to really be quick on your toes to do the charge leap out of his circling, but he can still stun you/swipe you back in/you run out of stamina. It's fun!

What? Nargacuga isn't even in 4u.

e: Oh, I guess you meant Najarala, that would make more sense.

BMan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 31, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alxprit posted:

Guild style isn't a gimp, it's just a different way to play.

Yeah Styles come with moveset changes so I'm not gimping myself when I use Guild Switch Axe because it has moves that the other styles don't have access to.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Adept isn't great on all weapons, but on the ones it is, I would say it's certainly OP. And I love it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

BMan posted:

Adept isn't great on all weapons, but on the ones it is, I would say it's certainly OP. And I love it.

Being a dodgy Longsword user is cool and good and I'm glad it exists

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stormgale posted:

Being a dodgy Longsword user is cool and good and I'm glad it exists

:hf: I was married to adept Longsword from the demo onwards, haha. I tried to give adept Gunlance a try, but it wasn't for me.

I think I might change to Switch Axe if we get XX over here, though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wow rly makes U think :thunk:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

You also conflate transmog systems with a lack of punishment for unskilled players for letting people dress up how they want during active gameplay though. :geno:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Xx has transmog, right? Can't wait to see my very special outfits in monster hunter double generations on the Nintendo switch

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that's a lot of big league words to sneer at the cost of fashion

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Rainuwastaken posted:

The problem is that Generations was your second Monster Hunter game. Everybody's trip through their first MH game is the best kind of nightmare, where you're fighting tooth and nail just to survive against these massive enemies. By the time you finish, you've learned how to approach an unknown threat, figured out how the weapons generally work, and have the basic game mechanics down well enough that you're not guzzling potions anytime something looks at you.

I can't argue that styles didn't make Gen an easier game overall, because of course having more options for fine-tuning your playstyle makes things easier. But I'd wager that the lion's share of that comes from the fact that you're an experienced hunter under whatever crappy gear or crazy new monsters they throw at you.

If Double Cross came out tomorrow and you used nothing but guild style, you'd still think it was easier than 4U. The pond doesn't get smaller; the fish get bigger.

Yeah, you're right. :sigh:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Wrist Watch posted:

Yeah, you're right. :sigh:

Welcome to the fearful paradox of Monster Hunter. It doesn't actually get harder, aside from some quests here and there; you just decide if you still have fun with it.

I've been going strong since MH1 on the PS2, but I still burn out after putting hundreds of hours into whatever new game comes up. Starting over fresh is mostly what makes the whole thing fun. I'm still kind debating whether I want to import my Gen save into XX when I get a Switch, but I probably will due to laziness.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Rainuwastaken posted:

Everybody's trip through their first MH game is the best kind of nightmare,

Unless your first MH game was the original, then it's the worst kind of nightmare. Not sure how I managed to put 400-500 hours into that.

Triarii posted:

Edit: Also that leaping hammer attack looks pretty bad

The level 4 charge is my spirit animal and best friend and I'll not have you insulting it. :colbert: Real nice change of pace after triple pounding for ages. What's actually bad is the level 3 mobile charge the vanilla spin gets replaced with in the alternate styles, an infinite short range slap that ends up getting you in trouble more often than it helps.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I dunno tho, when I load up my 4U file which is still in high rank it's, like, harder

Variants are a big reason. Variants are really good! Bring those back. Zinogre's a chump in any style but Stygian Zinogre!!!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

we hd now

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Textures are sort of muddy, color is washed out, models are sort of jaggy, there's barely any anti-aliasing, but man.

Those are some super-crisp shadows.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Did Barroth in Tri have a ton of health or was I just poo poo at the game?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

he's a tank when your weapons are bad, not helped if you're new at the game

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I picked up 4U for the first time since Gen yesterday. On one hand, apparently I've forgotten how to play well, but on the other I was in a G-rank kit and beating on a low rank Gore Magala so I didn't take any damage anyway.

I'm debating whether MHXX is worth importing if we aren't getting it. I know at least one other nerd who'll probably get it regardless. I wonder when we'd hear about it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i don't see why we wouldn't get XX

the real question is if we'll get both 3ds and switch versions or if NoA would want it to be just switch to give it another early life exclusive

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Did Barroth in Tri have a ton of health or was I just poo poo at the game?

the majority of weapons at that point have next to no green sharpness. Best you can do is bring a switch axe and use sword mode exclusively.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Actually the correct choice, as in all hunts, is the hunting horn with its song that removes bouncing and increases run speed.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
HH was absent in Tri unfortunately.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Theta Zero posted:

Textures are sort of muddy, color is washed out, models are sort of jaggy, there's barely any anti-aliasing, but man.

Those are some super-crisp shadows.

It's a jpg of a desert level. Look at the fuzz all around any place where the sky and monster intersect, you instantly can tell it's from the compression and not actually rendering flaws.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Would it be worth picking up Freedom Unite on iOS? I've only played 4U and Generations and I'm looking to play another one.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It's been a while, but I think I remember water weapons not bouncing on Barroth, or maybe just water hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Would it be worth picking up Freedom Unite on iOS? I've only played 4U and Generations and I'm looking to play another one.

It's a great port of a great game, but the controls and general oldness might be a harsh adjustment after playing the slick new stuff

• Locked thread