Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I just wanna fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm just here for the fight money, I gotta buy Lucky Chloe more pretty outfits

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

sexpig by night posted:

I'm just here for the fight money, I gotta buy Lucky Chloe more pretty outfits

You should buy her a clue!!!!!!!

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Shumagorath posted:

Good to see that 20 years later the AI still has no idea what to do about spamming 4+RK with Lee. It's almost as bad as Astaroth 22/66+B (sorry my 8-way is kinda rusty - 1 is back left and up, right?)

God this story mode is bad. Still less cringe-worthy than Dead or Alive.

1 is back left and down. Look at a computer numpad

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
So... anyone else playing it on pc with a keyboard
or am I the only insane one?
(my controller just had to completely break beyond any fixing a few days before the game's release -_- )

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1 is left punch, in Tekken.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I haven't picked up a fighting game since the PS2 Mortal Kombats. Just had a crazy rage comeback I finished with a Rainmaker and I love this game.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know of a beginner's guide to the wake-up game in this? Obviously it's going to vary a lot by character, but other than things like "this move beats everything except toe tap" from the top 15 moves list, I'm really not sure what kind of options I should be thinking about when I knock someone down, and from what ranges/situations/angles/etc.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Akuma sucks so I brought in a better Street Fighter.

Also

Tekken dot txt

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I made a bit of a primer vid for Leo, my fav char in T7. I'm planning on doing this for more characters soon, so lmk who you wanna see covered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkxiCwTvX8

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

CaptCommy posted:

haha, ha

yeah no, tekken does 1 is left punch, 2 is right punch, 3 is left kick, 4 is right kick. f= forward, b=back, d = down, u = up.

fighting game notation is game specific and therefore kind of a dick.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jmcrofts posted:

I made a bit of a primer vid for Leo, my fav char in T7. I'm planning on doing this for more characters soon, so lmk who you wanna see covered!

Who else have you been playing?

Yodzilla posted:

Tekken dot txt

This game owns so hard

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Morby posted:

Story mode is cheap as hell. Now I'm on the 3rd part of the Kazuya fight where Heihachi has 1/4 health

the Kazumi fight, that Kazuya fight and the bonus chapter when you finish the game can all suck a loving fat one. They make me feel like a flailing scrub*.

*I may well be given the last Tekken game I played was during the PS2 era.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This storyline is making pre-9 Mortal Kombat's look smart by comparison.

CaptCommy posted:

Thanks I knew it was 22/88+B that breaks the Soul Calibur A.I.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 3, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jmcrofts posted:

Booting the game up again right now just so I can try out Leo in treasure mode.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

This storyline is making pre-9 Mortal Kombat's look smart by comparison.

Thanks I knew it was 22/88+B that breaks the Soul Calibur A.I.

Everything being real dumb is just accurate to Tekken lore.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

ROFL Octopus posted:

Who else have you been playing?

Been playing some Paul, King, and Josie as well but I'll probably touch everyone at some point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been playing mainly Chloe, Kuma, and King and they all rule

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jmcrofts posted:

Been playing some Paul, King, and Josie as well but I'll probably touch everyone at some point.

From what I heard Paul's a good beginner character so personally speaking I'd be interested in a video on him.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

Nice! I'd love to see a primer on Kazumi, Claudio and Chloe.

I've spent literally 90% of my time in training mode trying to get a better grip on new characters and I'm so bad :negative: Claudio and Shaheen feels pretty natural coming from Feng (for whatever reason) but Kazumi, Chloe, Josie, (comedy option: Eliza) etc. all feel difficult to me. I can't deal any damage with Kazumi, Chloe has a weird-rear end moveset (and her combos are really weird too), Josie has too many super fast strings and stuff and I can't keep track of them all. I just want to play dress-up and punch some mans why does everything have to be hard :negative:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does the final boss seriously have an instakill? They must have hired the DoA3 boss designer.

Edit: Ok seems like his rage technique just ignores your skewed health bar. I got him to whiff it only to go right back into no-hitstun rage more AGAIN and narrowly beat me. At least it's not SNK-bad.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 3, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did they even play test this boss? At least Jinpachi could be beaten by spamming low kicks.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Hello friends.

Coming from SF and Marvel im tryna get good at Tekken. I've never played Tekken but im looking at Dragunov he seems like a cool dude. How hard would it be to learn him as a Tekken baby?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I was playing some Yoshimitsu today and I got pretty frustrated so I switched to Gigas and :lol: he's super fun and just ragdolls people.

That's all.

E: I really would like to know if anyone has had any success with Yoshimitsu because he seems way too complex than what I remember from T1-5.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 3, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's Chloe's amazing "most damaging in the game hitconfirmable combo starter" from back turned that the Character Overview guide is talking about and how do I use it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I was playing some Yoshimitsu today and I got pretty frustrated so I switched to Gigas and :lol: he's super fun and just ragdolls people.

That's all.

E: I really would like to know if anyone has had any success with Yoshimitsu because he seems way too complex than what I remember from T1-5.

Yoshi had a big gameplay change in Tekken 6 i'm pretty sure and became a far more advanced character. I think he's still got some similar moves and a lot of people still have success with him and stuff, but it's a departure from how he used to play.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This might be Namco's worst boss since Night Terror.

Edit: Well at least I get a Shin Gouki fight for my trouble.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 3, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
"Why would people advocate claw grip for Tekken because thumb is too slow? It works perfectly fine for every other game!"

*Tries out list of Leo's top 15 moves*

WS4,1+2
d/f+2+3

"Oh. Okay then."

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Shumagorath posted:

This might be Namco's worst boss since Night Terror.

Are you talking about Akuma?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Are you talking about Akuma?
Nah he's actually fun. It's the fight before where you start with a huge handicap and a boss that is immune to hitstun.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Futuresight posted:

"Why would people advocate claw grip for Tekken because thumb is too slow? It works perfectly fine for every other game!"

*Tries out list of Leo's top 15 moves*

WS4,1+2
d/f+2+3

"Oh. Okay then."

Shortcuts help out a lot for multiple inputs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Nah he's actually fun. It's the fight before where you start with a huge handicap and a boss that is immune to hitstun.

Considering how little damage Heihachi takes in that fight the low health is barely a handicap except if you get hit by rage.

The immunity to hitstun at the end when you've already depleted one and a half health bars is real annoying though.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
That handicap is basically just an excuse for all the slomo

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
u chgarht upm on this thread

tekken play it paul

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

What movement stuff carries over from previous Tekkens? They changed wavedashing and sidestepping right? I haven't had luck finding a Tekken 7 specific movement guide, so hopefully it's just the same.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

OneDeadman posted:

Ooh I actually hadn't thought of macros.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OneDeadman posted:

I had totally forgotten about shortcuts. :aaa:

Also thank you whoever said that you can hold down a button and press the other and it'll count as both buttons pressed simultaneously! Trying to do Chloe's 1,2,1+2 and f2,1+2 ended up in the wrong input like 50% of the time and it was super frustrating since it's important in combos, but knowing that I can just hold in 2 and press 1 makes it ridiculously easy :monocle:

Calsonic
Apr 13, 2008

I can't stand one button supers in this game. Everyone at low rank is mashing the poo poo out of RB whenever their health hits red. It's driving me nuts and I'm not even losing to it. Just a weird gameplay decision to me.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Your Computer posted:

So did they nerf Kazumi's tiger uppercut since the arcade version? I keep hearing that it's super unsafe and that you'll get murdered if it's blocked, but so many combo videos and stuff seem to prefer it as a launcher over her other options?

Launchers are unsafe in general. IIRC, the tiger uppercut is a high launch, so yeah videos use that to demonstrate max damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Calsonic posted:

I can't stand one button supers in this game. Everyone at low rank is mashing the poo poo out of RB whenever their health hits red. It's driving me nuts and I'm not even losing to it. Just a weird gameplay decision to me.

I like it because at my scrub tier people mash buttons constantly and go for lows as soon as you hit red and it's almost impossible not to catch them smashing buttons.