Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
As D, dove at a puck tonight that was sure as poo poo going in on the goalie's backdoor.

Blocked it no prob.

Also put my shoulder into the opposing shooter's skate and took him out.

Ahhhh there's the first trying penalty of the summer season out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last week, we had a guy on the other team drive our net from a faceoff dot, but he lost the puck and it ended up going into the corner. Instead of stopping or changing directions, he kept his line and plowed our goalie over, knocking the goalie's helmet off. Other team gets the puck, makes a couple passes and bang, goal. Refs allowed it, despite the goalie and his mask in the back of the net, and one of their players sitting on the goalie.

And as you can guess, that set off a whole shitstorm snowball for the rest of the game.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Last week, we had a guy on the other team drive our net from a faceoff dot, but he lost the puck and it ended up going into the corner. Instead of stopping or changing directions, he kept his line and plowed our goalie over, knocking the goalie's helmet off. Other team gets the puck, makes a couple passes and bang, goal. Refs allowed it, despite the goalie and his mask in the back of the net, and one of their players sitting on the goalie.

And as you can guess, that set off a whole shitstorm snowball for the rest of the game.

So is it safe to assume Cory Perry is getting some off season ice and some NHL refs are donating time?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So how many "zone clearing" passes hit the refs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We actually had an unsportsmanlike handed out a few weeks ago because some fat blob of a ref was turned away from the play and got beaned by a dump in, so obviously the player was targeting him.

Everyone on both teams called it a bullshit call. :v:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm going to be playing my very first Rat Hockey session on Monday, where I'll get to put my extensive 4 months of skating and shooting skills to the test. I can't wait to get clowned by guys twice my age and twice my weight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Summer rat is tougher because all the kids are home from college and show up to dangle basically everyone.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Don't worry about your skill level at rat. It's pickup hockey and unless you play in the NHL, someone will always be better than you. If people are upset that low skilled guys are playing, they should join a league. Drop in is strictly for recreational play. Have fun, work on your game and try not to kill yourself.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

dogstile posted:

So how many "zone clearing" passes hit the refs?

Rec mens, Bantam and Midget are the most dangerous for this because at these levels players can shoot hard enough to cause damage and don't necessarily have the hockey sense to not blind fire it in a panic

Younger than this and the players can't shoot that hard, and at Major Midget / Junior and above the kids generally remember that the guy in the funny shirt is going to be standing in the exact same spot by the blue line every time and maybe you shouldn't try to clear the puck through his chest. Same thing in the end zone - better players start to learn that the ref is going to be around the same spot almost every time and structure their end zone moves around it. The really smart guys try to use the ref as a pick and it's my job to not let them do that y moving my rear end up the boards :v:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Summer rat is tougher because all the kids are home from college and show up to dangle basically everyone.

Yeah we seem to always have some tier 3 junior kids in town that come out for like every single pickup and basically play 2 on 2 vs each other and ignore everyone else on the ice.

Also I haven't skated in like a month so I'm going to die in summer league.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Verman posted:

Don't worry about your skill level at rat. It's pickup hockey and unless you play in the NHL, someone will always be better than you. If people are upset that low skilled guys are playing, they should join a league. Drop in is strictly for recreational play. Have fun, work on your game and try not to kill yourself.

Plus if the good guys have any sense of awareness they'll put the lowest level guy on a wing with 2 of the best guys and feed the low level guy all night because who's gonna cover the guy who can't skate or shoot? Plus its awesome to watch that guy score like 5 goals on the back door uncovered.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bigbillystyle posted:

Plus if the good guys have any sense of awareness they'll put the lowest level guy on a wing with 2 of the best guys and feed the low level guy all night because who's gonna cover the guy who can't skate or shoot? Plus its awesome to watch that guy score like 5 goals on the back door uncovered.

I would love it if this happened. :allears:

I've never played an entire game of hockey in my life. The most I've done is 3v3 scrimmage during a lesson with people equally as terrible as I am. I know NHL rules because I watch a lot of hockey, but I don't know how USA Hockey rules differ, other than the fact that there's no checking. I don't feel terribly worried since it's just rat hockey, but I really hope my teammates cut me some slack, because I'm going to need a lot of it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

bigbillystyle posted:

Some of my best goals have been via a sniffed-the-NHL guy who would rip passes directly to my stick (one time came up between my legs when I didn't even know it) that were the easiest of easy tap ins and I am garbage as hell. It's fun as hell to play with those guys sometimes.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I would love it if this happened. :allears:

I've never played an entire game of hockey in my life. The most I've done is 3v3 scrimmage during a lesson with people equally as terrible as I am. I know NHL rules because I watch a lot of hockey, but I don't know how USA Hockey rules differ, other than the fact that there's no checking. I don't feel terribly worried since it's just rat hockey, but I really hope my teammates cut me some slack, because I'm going to need a lot of it.

I've played scrimmages with guys who literally could barely manage to pick a foot up enough to push off. Outside of some snickering amongst ourselves on the bench because it's hilarious watching someone fall over for no reason, literally no one cared that he basically not just allowed but directly caused like three goals against. That's besides whether or not everyone knows what offsides is.

It's scrimmage and hockey ppl are usually awesome and understanding and just want you to have fun.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I started playing I was stunned at how cool the experienced guys were. They kept giving me pointers on the bench between shifts and encouraged me. I think I've maybe only met one rear end in a top hat during drop in but that guy started getting body checks laid against him because he was being a poo poo. Hell the first time out in goal I had a college player stand behind the net to help me figure out what angles were and coach me.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

z0331 posted:

I've played scrimmages with guys who literally could barely manage to pick a foot up enough to push off. Outside of some snickering amongst ourselves on the bench because it's hilarious watching someone fall over for no reason, literally no one cared that he basically not just allowed but directly caused like three goals against. That's besides whether or not everyone knows what offsides is.

It's scrimmage and hockey ppl are usually awesome and understanding and just want you to have fun.

Pretty much this.

When I was starting out and super shakey on my skates and poo poo with my stick all the better players weren't dicks to me. Sure people laugh when you fall but it was like "HAHA LOOK AT THE LOSER WHO FELL" but rather someone would quip "always finish your check, even if you're checking yourself" or some poo poo like that.

One game I played that was literally more than half full of kids getting ready for Junior B. Most of my locker room knew one another and basically everyone was talking about the upcoming league and blah blah. The other half were just experienced players that were older. I was the shittiest person on the ice by far.

But I went out there and tried hard. I even got a "good job" slap on the rear end from one of the guys when the stars aligned and I made a good check, a good rush and then a good pass back to back to back. They appreciated that I was clearly trying, despite not being good.

Point is, hockey all stars are generally totally cool people in regards to other people starting later. I've never had anyone be an rear end in a top hat because I was bad. In league games I've had people be assholes but never because I was bad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've played with guys at every level from high school to NHL and most of them could walk through drop in blind folded. But they generally play because they need to keep skating and enjoy the game. Usually the better they are the cooler they are to play with. Its the kids trying to break into juniors that tend to be assholes and prove their dominance against a bunch of scrubby beer leaguers.

Three best part is that they will set you up and make you feel 10x better than you actually are because scoring at will isn't going to be fun for anyone else.

Will play with pros any day of the week. Guys who think they had a shot or could still male the pros? gently caress those guys.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
The one thing I'm glad I did when I started playing that I guess some might call kind of try-hard is watch some videos/look stuff up on positioning. I knew generally what to do from watching hockey but being more familiar with where each position should be in any situation was really helpful and I think it makes a huge difference. If you can be where you're supposed to, or likewise not be where you shouldn't, you're already a pretty big leap up from a lot of beer leaguers and it actually surprisingly helps make up a lot for a lack of individual skill. Can't skate that fast? Well then don't get out of position so you have to rush back. Can't puck handle? Well then skate to where you need to be so they can pass it right to you for a sweet one timer.

The worst player on our team skill-wise got a really nice goal from basically just being exactly where he should have been so that a rebound more or less hit him and bounced back into the net.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

z0331 posted:

The one thing I'm glad I did when I started playing that I guess some might call kind of try-hard is watch some videos/look stuff up on positioning. I knew generally what to do from watching hockey but being more familiar with where each position should be in any situation was really helpful and I think it makes a huge difference. If you can be where you're supposed to, or likewise not be where you shouldn't, you're already a pretty big leap up from a lot of beer leaguers and it actually surprisingly helps make up a lot for a lack of individual skill. Can't skate that fast? Well then don't get out of position so you have to rush back. Can't puck handle? Well then skate to where you need to be so they can pass it right to you for a sweet one timer.

The worst player on our team skill-wise got a really nice goal from basically just being exactly where he should have been so that a rebound more or less hit him and bounced back into the net.

This poo poo is huge and if "try-hard" means "not frustratingly bad" then yeah, you're a try-hard along with me.

A lot of people just focus on shooting, dekeing, skating and passing when learning as adults. What's equally, and sometimes more important (with increasing importance the higher level you go) is actually knowing where to be to help your team.

You don't need to watch videos on say the perfect offensive breakouts 1-17 but poo poo like "generally you want to be in region X as position Y" is good to know. Additionally some basic plays are good to know too but really that's only useful if you practice with your team.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"Stay high and cover your man" has helped me force offsides so many times as a winger by just chipping the puck over the blue line when the other team tries a D to D pass. I got my only goal in league off of a broken play that ended up on a breakaway.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Most beer league wingers tend to collapse way too low on defense leaving the opponents D with all kinds of time to freely pass the puck around and control the zone.

My team never understands this. We're always wondering "wow, how come we keep getting out shot 2-1 every game and feel like we can't get out of our zone?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It generally works out though because the attacking defense usually gets way too low themselves. The blue line is a lonely place to skate.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I missed a wide open net last night, and hit the post on another shot. My skating is getting pretty decent but god drat, I have NO finish.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

I've played with guys at every level from high school to NHL and most of them could walk through drop in blind folded. But they generally play because they need to keep skating and enjoy the game. Usually the better they are the cooler they are to play with. Its the kids trying to break into juniors that tend to be assholes and prove their dominance against a bunch of scrubby beer leaguers.

Three best part is that they will set you up and make you feel 10x better than you actually are because scoring at will isn't going to be fun for anyone else.

Will play with pros any day of the week. Guys who think they had a shot or could still male the pros? gently caress those guys.

Yeah the local ex pro guys who play in our A league here are all chill and don't start poo poo ever. They're just out to have fun unlike the meatheads who treat beer league like the cup finals.

I felt pretty good the other day because we beat a team that had an ex D1 star on it but in truth it was mostly because our goalie is the best in the league. Also the d1 guy almost always tries to setup people rather than score and I'm sure if he felt like it he could score almost at will. It's loving obscene how good he is, and he's just a dude who dominated d1. I can't even imagine the skill level a good AHLer would have, let alone a good NHLer. I don't know if the average hockey fan realizes just how absurdly good a guy like Tanner Glass is at hockey.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
A few years ago when I was just getting back into ice hockey from inline, my ex-brother in law and I spent the summer going to stick and puck sessions and pretty much had the rink to ourselves for the better part of 2 hours once or twice each week. At the time he was an AHL all star defenseman w/ 30+ NHL games but currently plays in the KHL. Eventually a local highschool goalie showed up as well as one or two of the local low level pros (UHL) who my bro in law had played with before bumping up to the AHL. Watching a saucer pass hit your tape perfectly flat on the blue line from across the rink while in full stride is something to be amazed by.

The power and speed he was able to generate immediately was beyond :stare: I expected his skating to be mind blowing but its hard to put into words exactly how impressive pro level edge work is. To be able to turn on a 6" circle and GAIN speed coming out of it ... crazy.

Another thing I noticed was his ability to rip absolute bombs from pretty much any position, off balance, opposite foot etc. I feel like I need to really focus, the stars to align and the seas to widen for me to get a good slapshot. You could jump on his back and he could still rip a bar down slapshot in the 70-80mph range.

He gave me a poo poo ton of great advice on playing defense though. Its funny because I'm typically a forward but thats one thing that most people will notice in my game is the ability to play defensively and not get beaten often. I manage to poke check, steal the puck and knock the puck off sticks like its what I was born to do.

Colin greening was something else. That dude could deke and he's not even on the Kane/Crosby level. But holy poo poo I just remember trying my absolute hardest to defend that guy and he made me look down right afool. I poke checked him once and stole the puck. I celebrated and got off the ice because that was about the highlight of my night.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 1, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The thing that always impresses me most with pro players is their body control is just on another planet from us mortals. They can do a spin and make a play but be perfectly balanced and in control of their body the entire time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Today was the last day of practice for the Spring session, so we did some scrimmage. I am about as effective on defense as putting a potted plant on the ice. I'm gonna be in way over my head on Monday for my first Rat Hockey. :ohdear:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Today was the last day of practice for the Spring session, so we did some scrimmage. I am about as effective on defense as putting a potted plant on the ice. I'm gonna be in way over my head on Monday for my first Rat Hockey. :ohdear:

Lucky for you, nobody plays defense at rat hockey.

Goalies need practice too.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Verman posted:

Most beer league wingers tend to collapse way too low on defense leaving the opponents D with all kinds of time to freely pass the puck around and control the zone.

My team never understands this. We're always wondering "wow, how come we keep getting out shot 2-1 every game and feel like we can't get out of our zone?"

Someone has to cover the third guy completely open in front of the net. Centre is off waiting for a stretch pass.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
We just had a 24 round shootout last night.

Hockey is deeeaaaaad...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vargatron posted:

I think I had a brush with death last night lol. Had a puck get deflected and hit me right below my throat, somehow missing my dangler altogether. I think it was a combination of me dropping in the butterfly and some stick contact lifting the dangler when I tried saving the shot.

That was taken last night about an hour after I got off the ice. Going to start wearing a throat collar after this incident. It's hot as gently caress but it's better than having this poo poo happen again.

Update.

I'm wearing a loving neck/clavicle protector. gently caress it I'll handle it being hot.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's a mood bruise.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
At least it's not a mood house. That would just be awkward.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

doctor 7 posted:

Someone has to cover the third guy completely open in front of the net. Centre is off waiting for a stretch pass.

This one is fun. Covering two dudes who are both trying to screen/deflect/backdoor because your centre has hosed off and then having that same centre ask you why one of them wasn't covered is always hilarious.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Vargatron posted:

Update.

I'm wearing a loving neck/clavicle protector. gently caress it I'll handle it being hot.

One of us! One of us!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, at least next time I do this drill I don't have to feel bad about everyone moving in the same direction in a circle because apparently NHLers do the exact same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxvT-hya4yk

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Hey y'all, I am getting back into the Oklahoma roller hockey scene and while most all equipment I am comfortable ordering without physically touching and using it sticks are the one are I am iffy about. I am about 5'10" and 180 and have either have hands on the smaller side than others more likely I just prefer a smaller diameter shaft with fairly rounded edges. 10 years ago it was basically jr or sr aize/le goth sticks.

Now I see that there are intermediate sticks as well which seem to be a nice in between even if I have to put a small plug up top to gain an inch or two even though I prefer playing with really short sticks. Mainly for puck handling, more precise shooting (for me anyway), and the fact that I am purely an offensive player. I like the feel of a smaller shaft so much I even ordered a pair of Missions seemingly discontinued three finger grommett gloves off of EBay to give even better stick feel.

Is an intermediate stick the way to go in the opinion of SASers? I don't take slap shots except in the rarest of circumstances so any loss of power of fine. Also, I have always purchased shafts and blades separately but it seems the way to go is the composite one piece sticks now. What are the options of the SA hockey world who have not taken a 10 year hiatus from this amazing game?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm 5'9"/180 and used intermediate sticks for a long time. They worked well and were usually $10 cheaper. Plus you can get them in sick 62 flex if that's your thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're strong enough to see the benefits from a higher flex stick, do you still use those dumb 75 flex intermediates?

Is it because you gotta cut them down? (Not a short joke, the warrior high end ones are the length of most senior sticks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for the Feedback Henrik. Do you find that generally the shafts are of a smaller diameter/circumference with more rounded edges and all? I have an old two piece Nike shaft that is pretty rounded but works perfect for my style of play. I may even get an end plug for it to add about 1 1/2 inches and use it until I can try out some of the other guys' sticks.

Also I have been seeing the "unbranded" All Black hockey sticks which seem like a good idea if the quality of there.

These things: http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com