Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pence just got a hard on

quote:

Cohabiting couples in Burundi have until the end of the year to get married or face legal consequences.

The government order comes after President Pierre Nkurunziza launched a campaign "to moralise society".

A government spokesman said a crackdown on informal relationships was needed to combat a population explosion.

He said too many schoolgirls were getting pregnant and men were taking advantage of women by cohabiting with several simultaneously.

Burundi has been in crisis since 2015 when Mr Nkurunziza, a born-again Christian, announced he would run for a controversial third term.

One farmer quoted by AFP said local officials had already threatened him and his partner with a fine and said any child born out of wedlock would not qualify for free education or medical treatment.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/868354673442529280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Quiznos is ok but small family deli places are always the best

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chard posted:

gyro or gtfo

Also shawarma and banh mi.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bill Clinton Would Have Won

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...as someone who did archery in high school, the utter disregard for safety here makes me cringe. Bows are as dangerous as guns, you DO NOT DO poo poo LIKE THIS IN A CLOSED SPACE.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Bill Clinton Would Have Won

Well now I just feel nostalgic for the menus that don't change every three damned seconds!

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Captain Invictus posted:

if we're gonna have foodchat for this evening's derail I'm gonna have to throw down and say papa ginos is some of the worst poo poo pizza in the world, and there's some shiiiiiitty pizza out there.

As much as I hate to even remotely defend Papa John's, I've only eaten at one place that could screw up pizza, and it wasn't them. It was Sbarro's.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Pikavangelist posted:

As much as I hate to even remotely defend Papa John's, I've only eaten at one place that could screw up pizza, and it wasn't them. It was Sbarro's.

Didn't McDonald's make pizzas for a sec

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

papa ginos is some of the worst poo poo pizza in the world, and there's some shiiiiiitty pizza out there.

Captain Invictus is one of the wrongest people in the world, and there's some wrrrrooooong people out there.

Papa Ginos is the best. Whenever I'm in New England it's my first and my last stop. I will literally fight you over this.

Edit: Papa Ginos aint Papa Johns. Yes, Papa Johns is pretty trash. Papa Ginos is a New England only chain and it literally defines what good pizza is. All pizza is measured in terms it's variation from the Papa Ginos standard.

Edit2: Did you throw this out there just because you know there are a lot of people who feel strongly for Ginos and you knew saying this would drive somebody mad?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 3, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You want poo poo pizza then you want BLAZE pizza.

Just put all that garbage on there, EVERYTHING.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Didn't McDonald's make pizzas for a sec

Yes, they were capitalising on the popularity of the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Phyein posted:

I want everyone to picture Jeff Sessions getting crushed by a steamroller. We could all use a laugh in these troubled times.

I am just imagining him calling the steamroller the N-word over and over as it just keeps rolling forward.

FlamingLiberal posted:

NYT reporting that Trump is not going to try and block Comey from testifying before Congress

The President added "I've got some second amendment people who'll take care of it for me. Mr. Putin says so. He says that there's no way Comey will testify because he's gonna have guys shoot him" before literally his entire staff tackled him and insisted we had to look into his heart to understand what he TRULY meant.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hmmm, very interesting, Mr. Speaker...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Shifty Pony posted:

Speaking of Atlanta and food there was a place southwest of Atlanta right off I-20 called Jurassic Subs. It is a sub shop with dinosaurs everywhere and it is loving awesome.

the sandwich was decent but any shortcomings were more than made up for by the dinosaurs

Someone kidnapped and redecorated a Firehouse Subs.

I live in Atlanta and don't know Jet's but after looking it's because they're mostly in lovely areas I never go to.

Your Pie is my favorite chain pizza, but that's kinda cheating.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Pepperjax makes a pretty good cheese steak, you know for the Midwest. Also their spicy ranch sauce is :krad:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

axeil posted:

I did not get a chance to ask a question at Lovett or Leave It but it was a good episode. They talked a bunch about the Social Security Disability article we were talking about this afternoon.

Did you get me Katie Nolan's number or other contact info

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AsInHowe posted:

Did you get me Katie Nolan's number or other contact info

Don't be gross

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hellblazer187 posted:

Captain Invictus is one of the wrongest people in the world, and there's some wrrrrooooong people out there.

Papa Ginos is the best. Whenever I'm in New England it's my first and my last stop. I will literally fight you over this.

Edit: Papa Ginos aint Papa Johns. Yes, Papa Johns is pretty trash. Papa Ginos is a New England only chain and it literally defines what good pizza is. All pizza is measured in terms it's variation from the Papa Ginos standard.

Edit2: Did you throw this out there just because you know there are a lot of people who feel strongly for Ginos and you knew saying this would drive somebody mad?
Let's duel, you czar of bad taste. I threw it out there because there's a shitload of them around here, and all of them have garbage pizza. lovely sauce, crust that is paper-thin and I would only ever feed to my dog, cheese that is middling at best and toppings that even dominos does better. It's on par with little ceasars, but LC at least has possibly the cheapest prices for pizza anywhere. I have been conned into eating it more than I care to admit over my life because it's often where lazy people go to get pizzas for birthday parties, work events, etc, since it's everywhere and convenient. It is the saddest pizza.

Meanwhile, ten bucks gets you an 18" hot and ready pepperoni, cheese, or supreme pizza at costco, and it's always good. Never disappoints. Plus you can get some fantastic berry smoothies to go with it for a buck 25 each, and their new brisket sandwich is loving great if a bit expensive(for costco).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why not just eat garbage off the street instead of either of those places.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

mango sentinel posted:

Don't be gross

I sent him on a mission

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hollismason posted:

Why not just eat garbage off the street instead of either of those places.
Please do not sexually proposition me.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Classtoise posted:

I am just imagining him calling the steamroller the N-word over and over as it just keeps rolling forward.

:laffo: all red faced, shirt half un-tucked, neck veins popping out, knees flexed 90 degrees and white-knuckle fists screaming until he coughs blood instead simply stepping out of the way and admitting black people are humans. It's art

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know Jimmy Johns bases itself on super fast delivery but how the gently caress does that work? Didn't places like Dominos get in big trouble in the 80s because their promised fast delivery times resulted in tons of car accidents?

Part of it is the sandwich assembly line is built for speed. It's set up so that most of the time you can finish someone's order before they even get their wallet out to pay for it. It takes seconds. It's why they only serve cold sandwiches and you have to start your order with one of the numbered sandwiches instead of building ala carte. There is a rote procedure for absolutely everything.

They have incentive programs for fast delivery, and will encourage their drivers to be as fast as possible while protecting themselves by never explicitly telling you to break driving laws. But yeah, many of the drivers are reckless and speed because that's the only way to make the deliveries on time.

Jimmy Johns are also crazy about cleanliness, and every inch of the store (including the tile grout underneath the equipment) is cleaned every week. So if you ever worry about restaurant cleanliness that's the one good thing about the stores. The bread is pretty good, and their cookies too at least.

Also yeah, the CEO is a jerk.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'd like to interrupt the sandwich talk briefly to laugh at these Trumpeters:

quote:

ROTT: Williams has applauded Trump's plans to repeal Obama-era regulations on the coal industry, but he also knows that there are factors Trump can't change. He can't change the energy market.

WILLIAMS: Part of it is because of the price of natural gas has made it more competitive.

ROTT: And he can't change the fact that increasingly, the two biggest customers for Colstrip's energy, people in Washington and Oregon, don't want coal-fired power anymore.

RON ROBERTS: Many of our customers are more interested in having green energy come through. They're more interested in renewables.

quote:

MANNIX: We can put up with all the pollution, and they get the gravy. And this went on for 40 years. And we took it. We ran with it. We made it successful. And now these prima donnas out there can just walk away. Well, no - pay your way out of it now.

ROTT: Mannix and others here would like to see those states help pay for Colstrip future, whatever that may be.
They're not giving up on coal, not even close to it. But they know that changes are inevitably coming. Nathan Rott, NPR News, Colstrip, Mont.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/01/531099076/montana-town-exemplifies-coal-countrys-uncertain-future

tl: dr

Montana Trumpsters think Trump will bring back coals jobs to their lovely little town, but also seem to realize that natural gas is also killing coal. But they're also angry that Oregon and Washington, which used to be the coal company's biggest customers, don't want coal anymore, and the Trumpsters insist that they should be propping up their lovely industry. Sounds like entitlement to me...

Also, Subway is loving awful. Shame that Quizno's went out of business. Now there was a REAL man's sandwich shop!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Phyein posted:

Roy rogers still exists, albut only at interstate rest stops. I occassionally go to them when im bored and miserable... theres something peaceful about a rest stop espicially on a tol higheay because its close to home but isolated at the same time because only long travellers go to them. They feel like a whole nother world.

Roy rogers sucks though its bottom of the barrel fast food, its like, theres no reason anyone would go to them unless they absolutely have to. Hence interstate rest stops.with nothing nefore or after for 20 miles.

bernie would have won

I've heard that East of the Mississippi (I hope that is a neutral term), interstate rest stops have fast food restaurants and stuff?

In the Western United States, all they have is bathrooms, drinking fountains, picnic tables, sometimes flyers of tourist attractions. Sometimes people make coffee which they give away for donations.

This isn't totally irrelevant to the thread, because I am learning about Trump's mindset, about a world where everything is commercialized and tacky, and where of course a rest area has a bunch of cheesy chain restaurants. The idea that a rest area could just be some trees and picnic tables is probably something that Trump couldn't understand.

In fact, has Donald Trump ever had any record of being in a natural area? I mean, like most people from the East Coast, he probably doesn't even understand such a concept exists, and then on top of that, the idea of him coming up against something that is just nature, that isn't a social reality where he could stroke his ego, probably just doesn't compute.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Mr Interweb posted:

I'd like to interrupt the sandwich talk briefly to laugh at these Trumpeters:

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/01/531099076/montana-town-exemplifies-coal-countrys-uncertain-future

tl: dr

Montana Trumpsters think Trump will bring back coals jobs to their lovely little town, but also seem to realize that natural gas is also killing coal. But they're also angry that Oregon and Washington, which used to be the coal company's biggest customers, don't want coal anymore, and the Trumpsters insist that they should be propping up their lovely industry. Sounds like entitlement to me...

Also, Subway is loving awful. Shame that Quizno's went out of business. Now there was a REAL man's sandwich shop!

This article is confused.

This article is people in the Eastern United States who have never been further than Pennsylvania, who think that the entire Western United States looks like rural Pennsylvania, and who are trying to figure it out based on that.

Oregon and Washington never used much coal power, Oregon and Washington had plentiful hydroelectric power coming from rivers. Coal mining was not a major industry in Montana: Montana's history is based around copper mining, if anything.

The county that Colstrip, Montana is in had a maximum population of 10,000 people, which even by Montana standards is small. Compare that to Silver Bow County (Butte), which at its peak had 25% of Montana's population. Contrary to the narrative about coal miners loving Trump, Silver Bow County has voted Democratic in every election in its history, with I think the exception of Nixon in 1972. But because the narrative is about environmentalist hating coal miners, Montana has to be about that, too.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 3, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

I've heard that East of the Mississippi (I hope that is a neutral term), interstate rest stops have fast food restaurants and stuff?

Yup. I was floored the first time I drove cross country and found how less-lovely East Coast rest stops are than West Coast ones.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

In the Western United States, all they have is bathrooms, drinking fountains, picnic tables, sometimes flyers of tourist attractions. Sometimes people make coffee which they give away for donations.

They have similarly bare bones rest stops east of the Mississippi but there are also rest stops that have multiple fast food restaurants in them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Montana's energy comes from the static generated by loving sheep.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

The vast majority of rest stops I've been to through the southeast & up through Ohio have been lovely little buildings with vending machines.

WITH THE EXCEPTION of the Tamarack in West Virginia. https://www.tamarackwv.com/

I haven't been there since I was like, 9 or something, but I remember it being ridiculous and huge and had a theatre and stuff in it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

This isn't totally irrelevant to the thread, because I am learning about Trump's mindset, about a world where everything is commercialized and tacky, and where of course a rest area has a bunch of cheesy chain restaurants. The idea that a rest area could just be some trees and picnic tables is probably something that Trump couldn't understand.

There are fast food rest stops along the eastern highway because it is a high traffic area over a long stretch and people eventually will get hungry or want some coffee, you see the unmanned bathrooms and picnic tables there because there isn't enough traffic to have restaurants on those roads.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

In fact, has Donald Trump ever had any record of being in a natural area? I mean, like most people from the East Coast, he probably doesn't even understand such a concept exists, and then on top of that, the idea of him coming up against something that is just nature, that isn't a social reality where he could stroke his ego, probably just doesn't compute.

You're right: New York City runs west to St Louis, its westernmost suburb. The last tree on the great Atlantic floodplain was felled in 1973, in the borough of Minneapolis. New York, in addition to being completely flat and entirely below sea level, has no state parks or forested areas. And of course there are no interstate rest stops without chain restaurants and big neon signs. And there are definitely no such structures dotting the highways of any states west of the Mississippi River, like the mountainless kingdom of Oregon, which I have only heard stories of thirdhand from weary travelers, because it's too much goddamn trouble for me to google something or read loving wikipedia before speculating about different parts of my own country like I'm a 14th-century English philosopher imagining what it must be like in China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_area

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Majorian posted:

Yup. I was floored the first time I drove cross country and found how less-lovely East Coast rest stops are than West Coast ones.

"Yes, instead of getting to have a quiet natural area where I can exercise, I get to look at asphalt and eat McDonalds"--- an East Coaster who also probably thinks that Trump Steaks are a classy luxury item.

Maybe the lack of nature and prevalence of fast food has some type of downside?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

This article is people in the Eastern United States who have never been further than Pennsylvania, who think that the entire Western United States looks like rural Pennsylvania, and who are trying to figure it out based on that.

Oregon and Washington never used much coal power, Oregon and Washington had plentiful hydroelectric power coming from rivers. Coal mining was not a major industry in Montana: Montana's history is based around copper mining, if anything.

The county that Colstrip, Montana is in had a maximum population of 10,000 people, which even by Montana standards is small. Compare that to Silver Bow County (Butte), which at its peak had 25% of Montana's population. Contrary to the narrative about coal miners loving Trump, Silver Bow County has voted Democratic in every election in its history, with I think the exception of Nixon in 1972. But because the narrative is about environmentalist hating coal miners, Montana has to be about that, too.

No, this is also wrong just like your earlier stuff. Have you tried leaving your home state/town/basement ever?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

"Yes, instead of getting to have a quiet natural area where I can exercise, I get to look at asphalt and eat McDonalds"--- an East Coaster who also probably thinks that Trump Steaks are a classy luxury item.

Maybe the lack of nature and prevalence of fast food has some type of downside?

Hahaha, you think West Coast rest stops are natural areas where you can exercise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

Hydroelectric power of course was invented in 1750 by the duke of Seattle, who guarded the secret with his life until it was stolen by the high priests of Oregon's northernmost island. Coal never had any use to them after that. Journalists would never fact-check a story, because there's obviously no way to learn about the past or any place you haven't personally visited.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
One that is not how correlations work. Two even if it did you hardly have a rigorous definition for "prevalance of fast food" or "lack of nature". For that matter there are a lot more parks and nature preserves then you know of apparently. For instance, Tennessee has the goddamn Smokys.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

That article interviews people who live in and grew up in Montana. But you're calling those people No-True-Westerners because they don't fit your limited worldview.

quote:

LORI SHAW: When I was a little kid, I actually thought it was a castle. And I thought the princess of Colstrip lived there.

ROTT: Lori Shaw could lay claim to that title, the Princess of Colstrip, herself, and she wouldn't hear many arguments. She's 25, wears her hair in a long blond braid and has the town's name tattooed in swooping cursive on her right wrist.

I don't think we've passed a person that hasn't waved at you so far.

SHAW: Yeah, that's Colstrip for you.

ROTT: Shaw is the co-founder of Colstrip United, an effort she helped to start about a year and a half ago to help give supporters of coal and coal workers more of a public voice.

Clearly Lori Shaw has never been further West than Pennsylvania :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You don't think that guy's a troll by any chance, do you?

• Locked thread