Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My hot take is that the new emojis are totally fine and cool, thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

CLAM DOWN posted:

My hot take is that the new emojis are totally fine and cool, thanks for listening.
Definitely better than Samsung's

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

datajosh posted:

Definitely better than Samsung's

:agreed:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Really makes you think

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Thanks for the tips re the Chromecast, I had no idea Google added(??) The ability to remove the notification on non-casting devices and that people were cancelling my poo poo and not just dismissing notifications as those jerks claimed

Time to dig it up again and try it out

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mods requesting a new av, thanks

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Those newer ones will be easier to insert into the emoji movie franchise over the next 15 years

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can you imagine that this is your job - to look at a set of old emojis and come up with new versions?

:smithicide:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's a spicy take but unfortunately it's also wrong as gently caress.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Hey guys is Santa happy now?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Unless the clap emoji was changed from a picture of hands clapping to an embedded self destruct instruction that spreads to every device owned by the person who entered it, I don't really have an opinion on the new ones.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

docbeard posted:

Unless the clap emoji was changed from a picture of hands clapping to an embedded self destruct instruction that spreads to every device owned by the person who entered it

This but for 🤔

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It's new smartphone time, and I'm debating right now between staying with T-Mobile and getting an iPhone 7, or switching to Verizon and getting a Google Pixel. Leaning toward the Pixel right now 'cos I kind of prefer Android overall.

Gonna ask a stupid question: are there significant delays in getting OS updates and the like on the Pixel, like there are with other manufacturer phones, or is that not a factor?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sereri posted:

This but for 🤔

:thunk: is the only acceptable version

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

are there significant delays in getting OS updates and the like on the Pixel, like there are with other manufacturer phones, or is that not a factor?

No

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thought not, but still good to hear. Thanks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually one more question. If I buy the Pixel directly from a Verizon store instead of waiting for shipping (because I'm a lazy bugger), am I going to have to deal with much/any bloatware or extra fiddling?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think the only difference is you can't unlock the bootloader

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Actually one more question. If I buy the Pixel directly from a Verizon store instead of waiting for shipping (because I'm a lazy bugger), am I going to have to deal with much/any bloatware or extra fiddling?

No. It will come with a couple (like 3? i can't remember exactly) Verizon apps pre-installed but you can easily uninstall them. Other than that it's good pure pixel Android, no Verizon OS modifications or update delays.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Does Gboard ever capitalize ' i '? It's really loving annoying that it doesn't auto-correct and i can't figure out why every other keyboard ever can do it automatically, but Google's doesn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It does for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Counterpoint: it never did for me either.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It does for me.

LastInLine posted:

Counterpoint: it never did for me either.

It only does sometimes for me, goddamn Google can't make up their mind about anything

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Of course Google is capitalised

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Don't use Gboard, but can you long press on the suggested "i" and tell it not to suggest it anymore? Hopefully that would reset it for you.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm always amazed at how often 'abd' comes up instead of 'and' when I type using gesture/flow/swype typing. It's like every keyboard that supports that kind of typing.

I've seen it happen for other people too, it's not me, I swear.

Side note, Google keyboard capitalized I for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Curious if anyone else has this problem: On a number of occasions now, once a week or so but sometimes more often, I've had Pixel Launcher stop responding and cause my Pixel XL to freeze up, requiring a hard reboot. When I look at the battery screen after, it's one of these:

I have narrowed it down to Pixel Launcher because:
1) I can be in other apps navigating around, and swiping down the tray, etc, and everything is fine, but the freeze occurs when I hit the home button
2) At one point, I was able to get to the Pixel Launcher app details screen while it was frozen and force stop it. Then hitting the home button caused it to re-launch, and it was all good again

This started since the 7.1.2 I believe, so relatively recent. Done a factory reset since then, no difference

Update on this for anyone who cares:

I got fed up with this still happening after a factory reset, so tried the Google support chat thing. Few questions later and they're sending me a replacement, it was crazy how quickly they moved through support questions and sent me a device. So yeah!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That's a spicy take but unfortunately it's also wrong as gently caress.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The new emojis are bad and if you're going to use round people you may as well use emoji one, which is good, sort of

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
In the Samsung keyboard when you type a word that's not in the dictionary, the leftmost suggestion along the top row is a checkmark to add it to its dictionary. It works to add the capitalized "I" should you accidentally delete it. Whatever keyboard you're using should have a similar feature.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Uthor posted:

Don't use Gboard, but can you long press on the suggested "i" and tell it not to suggest it anymore? Hopefully that would reset it for you.
That sort of works but only one time.

When I type i, and it suggests 'i' 'I' 'it', if i remove the suggestion for the lowercase (sometimes takes 2 tries before it goes away) and only 'I' is left, then it auto-corrects. If i type 'i' again in the middle of a sentence, it goes back to suggesting 'i' 'I' 'it'.

I swear I'm not :spergin: it's just really annoying because i haven't​ had to capitalize i in loving years. Goddamnit it Google.

Edit: i even re-sycned my personal dictionary and specifically added an i -> I entry and it still doesn't auto-correct.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 3, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

That sort of works but only one time.

When I type i, and it suggests 'i' 'I' 'it', if i remove the suggestion for the lowercase (sometimes takes 2 tries before it goes away) and only 'I' is left, then it auto-corrects. If i type 'i' again in the middle of a sentence, it goes back to suggesting 'i' 'I' 'it'.

I swear I'm not :spergin: it's just really annoying because i haven't​ had to capitalize i in loving years. Goddamnit it Google.

Edit: i even re-sycned my personal dictionary and specifically added an i -> I entry and it still doesn't auto-correct.

This is exactly my experience as well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Are you using en_GB as your language? There was a bug recently involving en_GB and the lowercase i.

Solutions I've seen thrown around:

quote:

Go to GBoard Settings > Dictionary > Personal Dictionary > English (United Kingdom)

Scroll down until you see the "I" (and auto-correct from "i") and delete it.

quote:

1.) In gboard settings, under Dictionary --> Add-on dictionaries, make sure "English(UK)" is unticked.

2.) Next open up any root file manager of your choice and navigate to "/data/data/com.google.android.inputmethod.latin/files/personal"

3.) Delete the file "Personal.en_GB.dict"

4.) Navigate to "/data/data/com.google.android.inputmethod.latin/files/cache" and delete the file "en_GB_d3.dict"

5.) Reboot your device

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was helpful actually, have had that issue for the last few months.

Just toggled that UK addon dictionary off, tested it, works fine again. Turned it back on, still working. Will see if it sticks bit seems good so far.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Finally got my Pixel from the world's worst Swappa seller. Everything seems great, except that Assistant doesn't seem to be giving me the option to take a screenshot and share it, in any app. It worked just fine on my 6P. The only option I have it Send Feedback. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Finally got my Pixel from the world's worst Swappa seller. Everything seems great, except that Assistant doesn't seem to be giving me the option to take a screenshot and share it, in any app. It worked just fine on my 6P. The only option I have it Send Feedback. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

No idea!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You only get the share screenshot shortcut if you're in an app, it won't come up on the homescreen. Edit: Just noticed you said "in any app". Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Do you have the keyboard button that CLAM DOWN does?

At least you have the keyboard button. My girlfriend got it the day after they announced it was coming on her Pixel, whereas my Pixel XL still doesn't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I use action launcher but I get the share screenshot button on the home screen

E: re the keyboard button, this is a Moto g4

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 4, 2017