Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm not real pumped about the Rage arts. I mean, they look cool, but they are WAY too freaking safe. If I hit you 3 times on your way over that should break the super move. Just played for a few hours with some friends and I literally had to play it as " oh crap, almost at red, let's play it safe until I can land a combo that will kill them completely"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Medullah posted:

I'm not real pumped about the Rage arts. I mean, they look cool, but they are WAY too freaking safe. If I hit you 3 times on your way over that should break the super move. Just played for a few hours with some friends and I literally had to play it as " oh crap, almost at red, let's play it safe until I can land a combo that will kill them completely"

Just don't throw out limbs when you have the life lead is what I've learned from rage arts. That or bait them into using it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Follow up to my previous post: Wow! With just those two things (hold button then press the other counts as hitting both, and shortcuts) suddenly I can pull off all sorts of poo poo with Chloe and she feels a lot more powerful :woop: Mapping 3+4 to a button almost feels like cheating and makes for some super easy and powerful combos. With back turned, just mash f+shortcut and keep mashing it if the launcher connects; 72 damage combo :laffo:

inthesto posted:

Launchers are unsafe in general. IIRC, the tiger uppercut is a high launch, so yeah videos use that to demonstrate max damage.

I assume it's extra unsafe because you'll get launched if it's blocked. AFAIK that doesn't happen with most hopkicks (i.e. you have time to block before the standard launcher connects)? At least it says in the char overview that Chloe has the only launchable on block hopkick in the game, so presumably all the other hopkicks don't have this problem.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Keegers posted:

Just don't throw out limbs when you have the life lead is what I've learned from rage arts. That or bait them into using it.

Yeah, after an hour or so of playing I learned that. It just really sucks that most of them combo off any hit, period. :(

I am reminded of how god awful I am at the game, because my biggest weakness is people who follow the complex mechanic of "jam on buttons". Hopefully playing online I get a win every 100 matches or so.

Also, man it feels good to use a Playstation pad again. I didn't play much Tekken 6, but I did it with a fightstick and it just feels so much better with a pad.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

i find its pretty easy to bait people into using their super if when you knock them down they enter rage, because they are very likely going to just use it as soon as they get up so you can run at them after knocking them down and just stand there and block it, then kill them

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What's the basic difference between the two different Rage moves it gives you? I got the game and we pretty much immediately started playing with no research.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
e: i was totally wrong lol.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 3, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Removing names, rank, and character from match acceptance.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/870797968269430784

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Rage Arts are basically super moves; they have armor on startup and do a big pile of damage that gets higher if you have less health.

Rage Drives vary more by character and have different uses, like they might be very safe mixups or launchers. For example, ending a combo with King's rage drive gives you a guaranteed opportunity to go for a ground throw.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Finished the story and I guess I was holding it to a higher standard than I should have but

So many years of waiting and that? Turns out Kazumi was nothing more than some mook who in some grand plan decided to kill heihachi by marrying him and having a kid, then waiting like 7 years before trying to do something about it? Akuma was completely not explained. All those trailers and vignettes over the years made it out like it was some tragic story when its nothing but Kazumi was a jerk just like the rest of em.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm a big fan of cheese so this game's story is good to me.

I loving lost it when Kazuya shot a perfectly-aimed eye laser to take out an orbiting satellite.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Remember when Heihachi strapped Kazuya, Jin and Jinpachi to a rocket and shot them into space?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I just did Asuka's fight, and there's something about her that looks off. Even in the CG cutscene after the fight, she looks worse than she did in previous games, unless I'm totally misremembering.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

I made a bit of a primer vid for Leo, my fav char in T7. I'm planning on doing this for more characters soon, so lmk who you wanna see covered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkxiCwTvX8

Leo has really strong mix ups in 7FR to the point where Yuu & Nobi consider her a 50/50 mix up character. D/f+2+3 knocking down on natural hit while being -14 on block is really strong. I wouldn't recommend d/b+4,1 at the wall, d/f+2+3 guarantees full crouch d/f+3 at the wall and is less negative on block. D/b+1+2, 1+2 is a mid that can be hit confirmed for wall splat and u/f+3 is another safe mid wall splat move that crushes lows.

D+1+2 stance can transition cleanly into full crouch meaning you have a mix up between bok+2 as a safe mid launcher for strong damage or FC d/f+3 for a low knock down. The most popular juggle route for her uses f+4~d/f after screw which sets up either finishing the combo for damage or ending in full crouch with a mix up between FC d/f+3 or WS+2. Both of those moves hit grounded opponents if they don't stand up.

Another quick thing to mention is qcf+1 is ridiculous and guarantees WS+4,1+2 on counter hit for really good damage.

Here's a quick recording of the juggle and the mix up from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwGBRIzr_tw

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Evil Canadian posted:

Finished the story and I guess I was holding it to a higher standard than I should have

the story mode isn't even consistent with the extremely small amount of previous material, like in 6 heihachi doesn't know who lars is and that was the excuse for him coming out of nowhere, except in this game actually he had him on purpose to test out if he had demon semen or something and then just completely failed to keep an eye on him afterwards because ???

an actual story in tekken was and always will be a mistake, i'll take random vignettes from tag and the ps1 games over this nonsense any day. coulda used the money on all these fancy CGI cutscenes to put tekken ball in the game on launch or fix these annoyingly long and omni-present loading times these games have had for about a decade now

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 3, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
with that said I can finally stop pretending I understand how standing up in tekken works b/c I can just mash DP so this game is pretty drat good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why does Chloe have two hopkicks and one of them isn't even in the move list

I just realized I've been using uf+4 while practicing combos, which is what Feng uses (and thus what I'm used to) but the move list only says uf+3 is her hopkick and sure enough, that's a different one :psyduck:

also hi it's me the person who tried Lucky Chloe ironically and is now actually enjoying the character. My friend's going to kill me

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

tyblazitar posted:

Am I the only one having problem with certain inputs on pad? Specifically I find it really difficult to do b,f type inputs, like Kazumi's b,f+2,1,1+2 in combos just always turn into f+2, or it's too slow for the combo. Is it just a question of not being used to b,f commands and I'll get the hang of it or is that legit annoying to do on pad?

I'm a bit late responding here but you should check out the video in the move list if you haven't already, there is an audio cue for each of the inputs including motions. Probably one of the best features i've ever seen in a practice mode.

However, I haven't had any problem doing Feng's b,f+1 on pad so it may be something on your end.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've discovered Katarina and King are super fun to play.

Katarina's drop dead simple to play at least at what feels like an acceptable level but all her buttons feel good and she's great for someone like me who is bad at fighters. And she's got a taunt, which instantly makes her top tier. King is pretty different and a lot harder to use correctly but i'm certain he has the coolest looking moves in the game and there's nothing better than hitting grabs that would be whiffs for anyone else

I think i'm really going to enjoy this game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes Treasure Battle will throw a CPU against me that just completely wipes the floor with me, we're talking 0-2 and I'm lucky to land a single blow. Then the next fight is against a CPU that just stands there and doesn't even attack :geno:

Is this how the game tries to figure out what level you're on or is it doing it just to gently caress with winstreaks

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I made up my own little Eliza vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Bi_bCVRQY

By a scrub, for scrubs. I saw some of the stuff posted earlier and its mad hard for me as at this point I might as well be new to Tekken effectively as I haven't played since 5. What I got in there should be manageable for most anyone to pull off.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Too bad there's no shortcut to doing the shoryuken motion. As someone who has never played a Street Fighter, it just seems unreasonably awkward to move my thumb in that pattern. It's like a quarter-circle motion with a typo. It's a shame too because she's one of the characters I wanted to try out, and I can't even perform half of her moves in training mode :sigh:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Too bad there's no shortcut to doing the shoryuken motion. As someone who has never played a Street Fighter, it just seems unreasonably awkward to move my thumb in that pattern. It's like a quarter-circle motion with a typo. It's a shame too because she's one of the characters I wanted to try out, and I can't even perform half of her moves in training mode :sigh:

SRK seems tough at first, but will become natural as you practice. If you work to get the motion precisely, I guarantee you will improve and then be proud that you can get the motion.

e: and you will also be able to own all your friends in street fighter games with a shoto

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 3, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

I made up my own little Eliza vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Bi_bCVRQY

By a scrub, for scrubs. I saw some of the stuff posted earlier and its mad hard for me as at this point I might as well be new to Tekken effectively as I haven't played since 5. What I got in there should be manageable for most anyone to pull off.

Thanks for this.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
There are so many fighting games releasing back to back... Just this month: GG rev 2, Tekken 7, KOFXIV.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Your Computer posted:

SRK in this game is way stricter about it than SF has been in a long time. You have to end in DF.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's more difficult because I'm playing on a Wii U gamepad (I'm too cheap to buy another controller)? I reckon most people here are using a DS4 and the dpad is like twice the size of the Wii U one in addition to having separate buttons. I'm trying to find a way to make it more precise than "roll thumb over dpad and hope it inputs correctly" but other than holding the controller super weird and using multiple fingers I just can't do it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Maybe it's more difficult because I'm playing on a Wii U gamepad (I'm too cheap to buy another controller)? I reckon most people here are using a DS4 and the dpad is like twice the size of the Wii U one in addition to having separate buttons. I'm trying to find a way to make it more precise than "roll thumb over dpad and hope it inputs correctly" but other than holding the controller super weird and using multiple fingers I just can't do it.

I have both the wii u and ps4 controller and the dpads are basically the same. The key to this is that you tap forward and "let it go to neutral" before the d/f,f , which doesn't feel like much, but its important. Turn the inputs on in training to see what your inputs register as.

Earlier I was trying heihachi on pad and got like 80% EWGF so im confident you can do this

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So who would this thread suggest as a starting character to sombody that only has passing experience with Tekken and wants to start playing seriously with this one? Just looking through the character list and messing around a bit in practice mode i'm between Dragnov,Leo and Asuna at the moment.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

I have both the wii u and ps4 controller and the dpads are basically the same. The key to this is that you tap forward and "let it go to neutral" before the d/f,f , which doesn't feel like much, but its important. Turn the inputs on in training to see what your inputs register as.

Earlier I was trying heihachi on pad and got like 80% EWGF so im confident you can do this

:confused: okay so maybe I exaggerated a little

I appreciate all the advice though, I really do! If you're confident I can do it, I'll try my best! :3: It would be fun to at least get good enough with this character that I can input the moves.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Tekken 7 defaults to "Borderless," which is what I want, but it's a filthy lie. It's just regular fullscreen. Mostly that's okay, but I alt-tabbed briefly while searching for a ranked match, and when I got one I couldn't alt-tab back. It's a small complaint, my matchmaking times are way better than they were in SF5, but it would be nice to be able to do something else while waiting for a match.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

Tekken 7 defaults to "Borderless," which is what I want, but it's a filthy lie. It's just regular fullscreen. Mostly that's okay, but I alt-tabbed briefly while searching for a ranked match, and when I got one I couldn't alt-tab back. It's a small complaint, my matchmaking times are way better than they were in SF5, but it would be nice to be able to do something else while waiting for a match.

The actual Fullscreen mode has worked well for me, and I always play in Borderless. I was going to comment on it earlier, I think Tekken 7 is the only game that hasn't complained at all with alt-tabbing even though it's fullscreen :iiam: I've been alt-tabbing like crazy since the game launched and so far no ill effects. Maybe the face fullscreen borderless is actually worse at alt-tabbing somehow?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So who would this thread suggest as a starting character to sombody that only has passing experience with Tekken and wants to start playing seriously with this one? Just looking through the character list and messing around a bit in practice mode i'm between Dragnov,Leo and Asuna at the moment.
I'm completely new to the series so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've gotten the feeling from this thread that Leo is the preferred "beginner character" (even if that term doesn't matter much in Tekken). I've also heard that the best beginner character is any character you enjoy (moveset, aesthetics, combos, whatever) as long as they're not Yoshimitsu, Master Raven or Kuma/Panda :v:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So if anyone else is like me and is playing on a stick that doesn't have a touchpad on it, pro tip: if you set the stick to ps3 mode, you can use the select button in place of all the touchpad stuff (recording/replaying the training dummy, resetting training mode, etc.) This is an absolute life saver.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

:confused: okay so maybe I exaggerated a little

I appreciate all the advice though, I really do! If you're confident I can do it, I'll try my best! :3: It would be fun to at least get good enough with this character that I can input the moves.

The size of the dpad doesn't matter as much as how responsive it is. Trust me, the wii u pad is good enough to consistently do mario maker 1 frame shell jumps.

Practice slow while looking at the input record. Slow down to like 1 motion per sec until you can do that consistently!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Somebody linked a playlist of juggles and CH combos for the entire cast. I decided to transcribe all of Leo's combos so I could easily read them while I'm in practice mode. Figured I might as well share it:

df+2 f+2 b+1,4 df~3 f+4,2 dash f+4 df~1+2
df+2 3,2,4 df~uf+1,1 dash f+4 df~3,1,2
df+2 f+2 b+1,4,2 dash f+4 df~3,1,2

uf+4 f+4 df~3 f+4 df~uf+1,1 dash f+4 df~3,1,2
uf+4 f+4 df~3 f+4 df~3 f+4,2 dash f+4 df~1+2
uf+4 b+2,1 f+4 df~u+1,1 dash b,f+1+2,1+2,qcf+2

wr2 f+2 b+1,4 df~3 f+4,2 dash uf+1,2
wr2 f+2 b+1,4 df~uf+1,1 dash b,f+1+2,1+2,qcf+2
wr2 qcf+3 f+4 df~3 f+4 df~uf+1,1 dash qcf+3,1,2

f,f+4,3 d,N b+1,4 df~3 f+4 df~3,1,2
f,f+4,3 d,N b+1,4 df~3 f+4 df~uf+1,4

d+1+2~2 uf,N,4 b+1,4 df~uh+1,1 dash f+4 df~3,1,2
d+1+2~2 f+3 b+1,4,2 dash f+4 df~3,1,2
d+1+2~2 uf+2, b+1,4 df~3 f+4,2 dash f+4 df~1+2

d+1+2~3 d,N b+1,4 df~3 f+4 df~3,1,2
d+1+2~3 dash f+4 df~3 f+4 df~3 f+4 df~uf,1+1

CH d+1 d wr3 b+1,4 df~uf+1,1 dash b,f+1+2,1+2,qcf+2
CH d+1 d wr3 b+1,4 df~3 f+4,2 dash f+4 df~1+2
CH d+1 d wr3 f+4 df~3 f+4,2 dash f+4 df~3,1,2

CH uf+1,1 dash b+1,f df~3 f+4 df~3,1,2
CH uf+1,1 dash f+4 df~3 f+4 df~3 f+4 df~uf+1,1

db+3 f+3 b+1,4,2 dash f+4 df~3,1,2
db+3 f+3 b+1,4 df~3 f+4,2 dash f+4 df~1+2

CH u+3+4 2 b+1,4 df~3 f+4,2 dash f+4 df~1+2
CH u+3+4 b+1,4,2 dash f+4 df~3,1,2
CH u+3+4 b+1+4 df~3 f+4,2 dash uf+1,2

CH b+1 b+1,4,2 dash b,f+1+2,1+2,qcf+2
CH b+1 b+1,4,2 dash f+4 df~3,1,2
CH b+1 f,f+4,3 dash 3,2,4 df~3,1,2

CH 4 dash f+1 b+1,4,2 dash b,f+1+2,1+2,qcf+2
CH 4 dash f+1 b+1,4 df~3 f+4,2 dash f+4 df~1+2

CH KNK2 d,N,df+1 b+1,4 df~3 f+4,2 d f+4 df~1+2
CH KNK2 d,N,df+1 f+2 b+1,4,2 dash b,f+1+2,1+2,qcf+2

db+1+2,1 splat b+1,4,3,4
db+1+2,1 splat b+1,4 df~1+2
db+1+2,1 splat d+2 splat 1,4,2

Don't expect me to do this for any other character

inthesto fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 3, 2017

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
It's not really a problem but when I alt tab all my windows shrink to, I estimate, about 1080p.

I have a 1440p monitor and the games set up as such but it does this for some reason.

Also i'm a bit nervous about alt tabbing while waiting on ranked matches as the game's froze up on me a couple times with it. Performance is fine and i'm using GTX 1080

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Scrub question: I just got matched against a Bryan player for the first time, and he spammed jabs a lot. I could block them but I could never seem to counter, because nothing I did was fast enough after blocking, even my own jabs (I was Law). Jabs, low kicks, grabs, nothing worked. Any tips?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

guppy posted:

Scrub question: I just got matched against a Bryan player for the first time, and he spammed jabs a lot. I could block them but I could never seem to counter, because nothing I did was fast enough after blocking, even my own jabs (I was Law). Jabs, low kicks, grabs, nothing worked. Any tips?

Scrub answer; sidestep or backdash, punish the whiffing jabs.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

guppy posted:

They're highs, so you can duck them (and then punish with something like law's while standing 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like Claudio's moveset but I can't stand his face, and since I'm in this for the dress-up that clearly won't do. The game heard my prayers, and now Claudio is one of my favorites :allears:

Instantly more JoJo, instantly better!

My stand is 『CUDDLY GHOST』(not pictured)