Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pram posted:

deleting your efi partition wouldnt brick your hardware

the efi nvram variables is a very different thing from the efi partition though, they get exposed as files under /sys/firmware/efi/efivars, and as noted systemd mounts them as read-write. if you delete them (e.g. the ol' accidental rm -rf on some root directory) a lot of hardware is bricked, properly irretrievably so (e.g. it has variables which record how the various buses etc. are attached, and it becomes unable to initialize anything without them)

it has been suggested that systemd should only mount efivars writeable for a moment when it needs to change something, and then return it to read-only, but the most infuriating of unhelpful oss nerd responses is trotted out on this; "it is not our problem, the hardware manufacturers should not make it possible to brick machines that way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

again, i think this is already fixed by making important efivarfs entries immutable. but i'm just a lowly whitenoise poster, no noone notices what i write anyway!

https://lwn.net/Articles/675073/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

covefivarfs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

again, i think this is already fixed by making important efivarfs entries immutable. but i'm just a lowly whitenoise poster, no noone notices what i write anyway!

sorry v:shobon:v

wasn't that important an issue either really, but did serve a showcase of linux software maintainers pointlessly being assholes about things, and poettering does not have the store of historic goodwill that linus does

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

yeah, but the systemd dude just sticking his fingers in his ears saying "nah nah nah not my problem not listening nah nah nah" instead of just changing the default efivarfs mount to read-only (which it should be anyway IMHO) was pretty :rolleyes: and unhelpful.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it has been suggested that systemd should only mount efivars writeable for a moment when it needs to change something, and then return it to read-only, but the most infuriating of unhelpful oss nerd responses is trotted out on this; "it is not our problem, the hardware manufacturers should not make it possible to brick machines that way"

wait hold on aren't these the same kind of turbonerds who would screech about how the big bad hardware corporation is locking down the hardware so that good honest tinkerers who know what they're doing can do as they please with THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY ??

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait hold on aren't these the same kind of turbonerds who would screech about how the big bad hardware corporation is locking down the hardware so that good honest tinkerers who know what they're doing can do as they please with THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY ??

lennart is a bully and systemd is botnet

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lannart hitlering

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm fairly sure I'm working with a lennart right now.

It is not a pleasant experience.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
MY SOFTWARE IS THE BEST AND YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No, gently caress you, you just broke your own loving api. Eat a shitbowl of dicks.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OWLS! posted:

I'm fairly sure I'm working with a lennart right now.

It is not a pleasant experience.

you work with a guy who can get poo poo done despite working in a hostile and incompetent environment? who deflects threats and infinite loathing for having the gall to sidestep the absurd kafkaesque beaurocracies of petty fiefdoms, all for the greater good?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

10 I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Corinthians 1:10-17

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

you work with a guy who can get poo poo done despite working in a hostile and incompetent environment? who deflects threats and infinite loathing for having the gall to sidestep the absurd kafkaesque beaurocracies of petty fiefdoms, all for the greater good?

this is an extremely bad post

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

RISCy Business posted:

this is an extremely bad post

dont sign

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Doc Block posted:

yeah, but the systemd dude just sticking his fingers in his ears saying "nah nah nah not my problem not listening nah nah nah" instead of just changing the default efivarfs mount to read-only (which it should be anyway IMHO) was pretty :rolleyes: and unhelpful.

:wrong:

you need rw access for efibootmgr and stuff. the immutable setting was the right one, and lennart did the right thing.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

there's nothing wrong with systemd

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd haters will latch onto any ill-conceived technical argument they can dig up, resulting it these arbritrary personal attacks without technical merit

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tankakern posted:

systemd haters will latch onto any ill-conceived technical argument they can dig up, because it allows them to pretend their arbritrary personal attacks have technical merit

ftfy

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

it's funny when some guy people don't like for no reason makes a mistake then dorks start melting down because of their dumb failbrains malfunctioning

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

qhat posted:

it's funny when some guy people don't like for no reason makes a mistake then dorks start melting down because of their dumb failbrains malfunctioning

i for one, personally cannot believe that systemd guy hasn't memorized and internalized all of the behavior of rm

i bet he doesn't even know about nmap -oS - hostname!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's pretty cool that that guy continues to make valuable contributions to the open source community despite a bunch of virgin mouthbreathing troglodytes calling him a oval office at every possible opportunity

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rather more fundamentally systemd and pulsleaudio are both pretty thoroughly irrelevant software, the only actually interesting aspect subject of discussion is the multiple facets of lack of professionalism in the linux community

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qhat posted:

there's nothing wrong with systemd

this guy gets it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rather more fundamentally systemd and pulsleaudio are both pretty thoroughly irrelevant software, the only actually interesting aspect subject of discussion is the multiple facets of lack of professionalism in the linux community

windows is good op

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

OldAlias posted:

please do nto accuse linux poettering of being hitler

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

:wrong:

you need rw access for efibootmgr and stuff. the immutable setting was the right one, and lennart did the right thing.

it should be mounted read-only by default, then for the few times something needs to be changed it should be remounted as read-write, then remounted back to read-only when done.

that's in addition to having some EFI vars being made immutable by the kernel.

whole lotta autists ITT

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

maybe efi vars shouldn't be a filesystem

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

They make the software largely for free don't they?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Vanadium posted:

b-b-but everything's a file!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

They make the software largely for free don't they?

this argument is never good

it is not so much that i am asking anyone to be professional either, rather the usual twisted love for pointing out the flaws in others

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Vanadium posted:

*devuan apostle bursts in dressed in a robe stitched from xxl linux con tshirts* MY FRIEND HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS OF THE UNIX PHILOSOPHY. WE ARE ALL BUT FILES IN RITCHIES EYES

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

this argument is never good

it is not so much that i am asking anyone to be professional either, rather the usual twisted love for pointing out the flaws in others

He's not being paid so he doesn't owe you an ounce of "professionalism" you stupid oval office

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am not saying he owes me professionalism, i am saying it is a p. fun activity to point and laugh at unprofessional idiots willingly wallowing in the poo poo shoveled by their peers. almost the point of the forum even

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Doc Block posted:

it should be mounted read-only by default, then for the few times something needs to be changed it should be remounted as read-write, then remounted back to read-only when done.

that's in addition to having some EFI vars being made immutable by the kernel.

whole lotta autists ITT

just because you say that it should be like that, doesn't mean that it should

you can't muck around with remounts and poo poo, you don't always know what setup a system has. the immutable setup is the only sane one

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"Hmm, yes, EFI vars should always be writeable because maybe systemd needs to change the boot volume every once in a blue moon."

edit: and yes, I know some are made immutable by the kernel, but even the EFI vars that won't brick the system if changed shouldn't be writeable without going through some hoops first to prevent accidents.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 3, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if it's going to pretend to be a filesystem for whatever stupid loving reason maybe it should also recognize the arcane filesystem feature known as "access permissions"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i am not saying he owes me professionalism, i am saying it is a p. fun activity to point and laugh at unprofessional idiots willingly wallowing in the poo poo shoveled by their peers. almost the point of the forum even

He's actually really helpful if ppl actively contribute code instead of just whining about an obscure thing and then melting down when he makes a mistake

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

rjmccall posted:

if it's going to pretend to be a filesystem for whatever stupid loving reason maybe it should also recognize the arcane filesystem feature known as "access permissions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
why is there an expectation that a system will still be bootable after rimming the whole disk???

• Locked thread