Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I wish I could give you tips but frankly I've found long games of Stellaris pretty unsatisfying compared to Civ or EU. I just don't think the decisions are interesting any more at some point and I end up never loading that save again.

That's sort of what I was afraid of. I think I'm just an EUIV disciple at heart and wishing it felt more like that. Which it probably shouldn't and doesn't have to, but elements of the 4X genre that it needs seem like it drive it a little more boring (for me) toward the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, the game is kind of annoying with the way the Swarm is just an "if neither of the others happens". Maybe if the Unbidden were changed to be tied to someone loving around in the Shroud a lot? Or maybe just having a researchable tech that improves the chances of the Swarm happening somehow in exchange for something? Not sure what that could be though since they're extragalactic.

I dunno, fortunately I'm not a game designer :v:

The extragalactic nature of the swarm gave me a great idea: One of the galactic wonders is a giant sensor array to spy on the entire galaxy. So obviously a sensor array that strong should be detectable from very, very far away... You see where this is going?

Why not let the chance of the extragalactic invaders skyrocket if someone builds the sensor array? Obviously, something out there will take notice every time your civilization brazenly sends sensor signals across the galaxy. It will shine like a beacon, drawing the Swarm to you.

Tying this crisis to a hard-to-build galactic wonder should also mean your civilization is strong enough to deal with an endgame crisis already.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Shugojin posted:

Actually, checking on this I can't find a console command that gives a tech. Maybe it does exist but I don't see it on the wiki. Sorry :smith:

Thanks for looking. I save-scummed my way back and got the deflectors.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Libluini posted:

The extragalactic nature of the swarm gave me a great idea: One of the galactic wonders is a giant sensor array to spy on the entire galaxy. So obviously a sensor array that strong should be detectable from very, very far away... You see where this is going?

Why not let the chance of the extragalactic invaders skyrocket if someone builds the sensor array? Obviously, something out there will take notice every time your civilization brazenly sends sensor signals across the galaxy. It will shine like a beacon, drawing the Swarm to you.

Tying this crisis to a hard-to-build galactic wonder should also mean your civilization is strong enough to deal with an endgame crisis already.

some sensors are passive

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

some sensors are passive

and some devs can change flavour text

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just use the mod that removes the flags that stop more crises from happening

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Forewarning, long rear end rambling post.

Anyone have any tips for sticking with a game? I have a few things that hold me back from actually getting to end game. I think I have like a few hundred hours and have never gotten to an end game crisis. I always get bored first. Basically:
-I can't not micro or min/max. I don't do it to the 9th degree but I abhor sectors and constantly have to play building games on planets. I'd rather not have a sector if it's planet's are going to count against me for unity and research but I can't trust it to compensate. I'll sacrifice for roleplay, but even still.

-I like to roleplay. I like to keep my fleets, planets, etc named and pick some certain suboptimal choices if it fits the people I'm playing. This gets to be a bitch late game when you just don't care because you're approaching stomp mode and most events don't affect you or you've seen them. I fall into the Paradox pit of not reading any flavor and just clicking buttons.

-End game feels sloggy and bad. Fleets feel totally temporary and ephemeral. Essentially just a physical manifestation of your minerals per month.

-It feels binary. I've won EUIV and HOI battles/wars I shouldn't have, and I feel like I have strategy and control. Paradox always has doom blobs but a shitload of flavor and nuance gets folded into Fleet Power and it sure seems like 25k always beats 20k. Also, as with any Paradox game at launch or near it, you cannot go tall.

-Altogether, combat is more opaque than HOI4's naval combat, I swear. I haven't read the wiki or guides and I would like not to because part of my fun is figuring it out, but drat. I don't know how to figure out if certain classes are effective or not. Moreso are the effective for the cost? Are the fighters and bombers helping? Etc etc.

I think my next tactic will be to play a smaller galaxy. I've always played larger because I'm hoping that mid game will feel more akin to other Paradox grand strategies (it never quite does). At the same time I'm worried I'll be too powerful, too fast. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I might disable some of my mods that add extra ship classes and stuff. I absolutely love the addition flavor and options but that might just be adding complexity that's unnecessary.

I want to like the game more but gently caress if mid to mid-late doesn't bore the poo poo out of me.

Sectors have been improved a lot. If you want to min-max the way to do it is to build up the planet how you want (don't need the upgrades for the building types), throw it into a sector, and tell the sector AI to not redevelop.

I get what you're saying about the fleet sizes. IMO they made a bad choice when it comes to how expensive ships are. There's a great star trek mod out there and one of the best changes it makes is way, WAY upping how much ships cost. THis leads to smaller fleets and losing a ship actually feels like a big deal. A battleship (Galaxy class if you're federation) costs upwards of 8k minerals, for example, rather than the 1500 or so in vanilla. Smaller, more capable fleets go a long way towards making you actually give a poo poo about your ships.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
There should also be a chaos mode option that forces all crises (and wars in heaven, once they actually work) to spawn simultaneously.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, the game is kind of annoying with the way the Swarm is just an "if neither of the others happens". Maybe if the Unbidden were changed to be tied to someone loving around in the Shroud a lot? Or maybe just having a researchable tech that improves the chances of the Swarm happening somehow in exchange for something? Not sure what that could be though since they're extragalactic.

I dunno, fortunately I'm not a game designer :v:

I'd see it as either being linked to the psychic techs (with the idea being that your people or another empire are acting as a psychic beacon for the Swarm, similar to how the Astrononicon is drawing in the Tyranids in 40K), or link it to the advanced genetic modification techs, say that they have scouts in our galaxy who reported a technology that would be very useful to a species with biological ships which then caused the Swarm as a whole to be diverted to our galaxy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey, I had some horrible nanotech beasts start killing everyone on one of my new colonies. Sent an army over to rescue them, but now every one is being purged, how can I stop the process? Ordinarily, I'd just send over some new colonists, but there are some pretty nice uplifted dudes I'd like to save.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I don't know if it is a bug or not, but apparently I can terraform any red-brown barren planets? :psyduck:

Including this gem:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Some duct tape oughta fix that right up, feature.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The button's clickable but it doesn't let you select a planet type to terraform it to unless it has the terraforming candidate modifier

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Iced Cocoa posted:

I don't know if it is a bug or not, but apparently I can terraform any red-brown barren planets? :psyduck:

Including this gem:

I sometimes get terraforming-anomalies for barren planets and since there is no menu anywhere listing the terraforming candidates you've found, are you sure this isn't one of the barren planets your scientists found to be a candidate?

Also, in the newest changelog from Paradox there is this:

Paradox posted:

- Fixed missing terraform option for cold barren planets

In other words, yes sometimes you can terraform barren planets.

Allyn posted:

The button's clickable but it doesn't let you select a planet type to terraform it to unless it has the terraforming candidate modifier

Oh, I didn't know the button shows up before you can terraform! (Never looked too closely at the interface.) Case closed, I guess!

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Allyn posted:

Yep, just checked. Don't know why the button is there though.

But there was this one time where I had the whole "planet constantly changing let's see if we can make it Arid" event happen. On a shattered planet like that one. Orbiting a Black Hole. I savescummed so many times but it always failed. Too bad that save died.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

So I've been messing around with this game since I got it, and I've been having fun. I've played the peaceful Earth start with full tutorial a few times, until I really felt like I got a feel for playing. My only other Paradox game was Crusader Kings II, so I was honestly very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the tutorial and how accessible the interface was despite the many options. I love CKII, so it's nice to see that Paradox has invested in making their games more user friendly. By comparison, I've gotten friends into CKII, but I've had to be there and give a personal tutorial to help them get to understand the basics and get started.
I think my favorite part of Stellaris is the dry sense of humor in the events. On my third start and current game, I got an alien precursor event with 3-4 meter worm aliens who were religious zealots. Finding their home world and finding out that they had committed mass suicide because they had come to realize that they were plugged into a virtual reality matrix (the game) for the amusement of a sick deity (me) was absolutely hilarious.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Iced Cocoa posted:

But there was this one time where I had the whole "planet constantly changing let's see if we can make it Arid" event happen. On a shattered planet like that one. Orbiting a Black Hole. I savescummed so many times but it always failed. Too bad that save died.

If its the thing that gives it the "grimacing: +6 physics" or whatever, always leave it be. The tech bonus is waaaaay better than the size 6 shithole it inevitably becomes (assuming you don't just fail and get nothing).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Catalina posted:

I think my favorite part of Stellaris is the dry sense of humor in the events. On my third start and current game, I got an alien precursor event with 3-4 meter worm aliens who were religious zealots. Finding their home world and finding out that they had committed mass suicide because they had come to realize that they were plugged into a virtual reality matrix (the game) for the amusement of a sick deity (me) was absolutely hilarious.

I like to imagine that their plan actually worked. Imagine if everyone in your empire committed suicide...game over, right? ;)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I like to imagine that their plan actually worked. Imagine if everyone in your empire committed suicide...game over, right? ;)

Ha! I agree. I mean, they never meet you in game, right? But you know what would be a sick irony? If they got reincarnated into humans.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

-Altogether, combat is more opaque than HOI4's naval combat, I swear. I haven't read the wiki or guides and I would like not to because part of my fun is figuring it out, but drat. I don't know how to figure out if certain classes are effective or not. Moreso are the effective for the cost? Are the fighters and bombers helping? Etc etc.

During the combat, at least, the combat panel shows how much damage you're doing with each weapon type on your ship, how much you're taking, etc. It's actually super helpful if you pay attention to it, and god knows I didn't for my first couple games.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Well that's a first.

I just had humans spawn as a FE

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well that's a first.

I just had humans spawn as a FE

Not to be a one-upper, but my current game had the Human Remnant and a normal pre-FTL human civ on Sol 3. The lore possibilities boggle the mind.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah Human FEs exist and I think they get some random special poo poo the same way tomb world Earths do. They're super rare though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Fix It posted:

Not to be a one-upper, but my current game had the Human Remnant and a normal pre-FTL human civ on Sol 3. The lore possibilities boggle the mind.
If the game was more flexible about what counted as a species you could have some neat events triggering whenever the game spat out two empires with the same appearance and such. In my first game I played I ended up running into another empire with my dudes' appearance but nearly opposite ethics, it would have been cool if that spawned some kind of long lost colony/stolen by aliens event.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Aethernet posted:

Tbh there's only so many variations on a theme you can deliver within the framework of the game. One crisis appears at the edge of the galaxy, one appears in the middle, and this new one will manifest on worlds with synths, I assume. Aside from giant fleets, it's really difficult to see how you'd make a crisis feel meaningful - something like a plague would only be interesting with a greater emphasis on civilian & trade mechanics than the game currently allows.

I dunno, SotS 1 had less non-combat mechanics and still managed to get some really cool menaces and grand menaces that were more than just "big fleet". The Puppetmaster that calls up all technology to rise against their makers, spawning an AI empire while simultaneously flying around the galaxy converting worlds and fleet. The Intergalactic beat cop who shows up every x years for x years to punish anybody who isn't being peaceful. The Von Neuman machines that will steal resources from planets and won't retaliate until you kill one of their harvester fleets, at which point they send progressively stronger punishment - but they have to build that punishment out of the resources they collect. The Locusts that just want to multiply - every time they eat x resources from a planet, they spawn a new ship that also goes around and eats resources to spawn more. A system-killer that draws a path through the galaxy at random and every system in the path gets wiped out as it works it's way through it's route. The insectoids that act out their lifecylce of "infest asteroid belt -> spawn queen -> queen to nearest asteroid belt -> spawn queen" that are a danger to everything in the system they infest.

Some of those would make great end-game crises. Some of them would make great mid-game crises. Some of them are better versions of the current neutral creeps like mining drones and void clouds.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, there are two things from SotS I unironically want Stellaris to steal, the menace mechanics is the greater of those two by a mile.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Me too. SotS' various menaces were amazing and Stellaris would benefit hugely from having them, or things like them. Things that aren't quite inexorable alien hordes, but one-off entities or beings that arise throughout the game.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

DatonKallandor posted:

I dunno, SotS 1 had less non-combat mechanics and still managed to get some really cool menaces and grand menaces that were more than just "big fleet". The Puppetmaster that calls up all technology to rise against their makers, spawning an AI empire while simultaneously flying around the galaxy converting worlds and fleet. The Intergalactic beat cop who shows up every x years for x years to punish anybody who isn't being peaceful. The Von Neuman machines that will steal resources from planets and won't retaliate until you kill one of their harvester fleets, at which point they send progressively stronger punishment - but they have to build that punishment out of the resources they collect. The Locusts that just want to multiply - every time they eat x resources from a planet, they spawn a new ship that also goes around and eats resources to spawn more. A system-killer that draws a path through the galaxy at random and every system in the path gets wiped out as it works it's way through it's route. The insectoids that act out their lifecylce of "infest asteroid belt -> spawn queen -> queen to nearest asteroid belt -> spawn queen" that are a danger to everything in the system they infest.

Some of those would make great end-game crises. Some of them would make great mid-game crises. Some of them are better versions of the current neutral creeps like mining drones and void clouds.

I made it a point to build up to pop asteroid hives. it colored my tech choises more than anything early.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Splicer posted:

If the game was more flexible about what counted as a species you could have some neat events triggering whenever the game spat out two empires with the same appearance and such. In my first game I played I ended up running into another empire with my dudes' appearance but nearly opposite ethics, it would have been cool if that spawned some kind of long lost colony/stolen by aliens event.

It's possible to have two empires start with the same species. At least with Humans. If you play as the Commonwealth of Man, your xenophobic policies don't affect humans from Sol/United Nations of Earth, and only one "Humans" species shows up in the ledger.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh. Another thing I didn't know could happen. My post-robot transcendence race from my last play through just cropped up as a newly discovered faction way late game. As in robots with the same name I picked when I got to rename myself.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

John Lee posted:

During the combat, at least, the combat panel shows how much damage you're doing with each weapon type on your ship, how much you're taking, etc. It's actually super helpful if you pay attention to it, and god knows I didn't for my first couple games.

I see this, but I'm already trying to observe the actual battle behavior at normal speed and evaluate what ships should be equipped with what. Stellaris is maybe the only(?) Paradox game with truly spatial combat, which is definitely something new and fun but hard to decipher.

So I started a smaller galaxy, trimmed some needless fluff mods, and I'm having a better time. There's one giant glaring exception that's making me want to die, though.

Let me purge individual robots. I don't care if purge for actual species is limited for balance, but holy poo poo that is annoying. My true preference would be to make the Planet-Tetris minigame go away, but I get that's pretty fundamental at this point. That said, why did you take away options within it in the newer patches. :(

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Me too. SotS' various menaces were amazing and Stellaris would benefit hugely from having them, or things like them. Things that aren't quite inexorable alien hordes, but one-off entities or beings that arise throughout the game.

One-off entities are cool, but also the game could use more scenarios with a solution that isn't just kill it. Like they could revisit the original idea for the robot rebellion with the faction stuff, some sort of star conspiracy that infiltrates a faction in every empire. It's in everyone's collective interest to root out the conspiracy, buuuut maybe if you cooperate with them you get an edge over everyone that isn't.

Or even just less extreme versions of End of the Cycle, where you can buy into some sort of deal knowing that the other party wants to screw you over. At least then there could be a valid decision other than "kill them right now."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

John Lee posted:

But it doesn't show anything about strike craft except how many were shot down by the other side. Also it shows that weapon x did more damage than weapon y but not why or by which ship types.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LogisticEarth posted:

It's possible to have two empires start with the same species. At least with Humans. If you play as the Commonwealth of Man, your xenophobic policies don't affect humans from Sol/United Nations of Earth, and only one "Humans" species shows up in the ledger.
People are considered the same "species" if they have the same picture, homeworld, and traits. The game sets the homeworld of the human factions to Sol as part of spawning them, but there's no way for that to happen randomly while playing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always felt it was kind of lame how the Commonwealth has the special early game event chain but there's no events for finding Sol or the UN

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Did the beta patch manage to fix ethics attraction?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 4, 2017

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I always felt it was kind of lame how the Commonwealth has the special early game event chain but there's no events for finding Sol or the UN

I did find the Golden Disk in a random event in my current save. It led me to Tomb World Sol 3 populated by pre-scentient cockroaches.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

canepazzo posted:

Did the beta patch manage to fix ethics attraction?

The 1.7.2 patch notes say yes.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Okay, I need help in finding out what I'm doing wrong. I started playing a few days ago, and I have yet to survive for more that 150 years. Every time I'm declared on by larger empires with more and better ships and it doesn't feel like I'm stagnating during gameplay. The first time I was at my colony limit(9), trying to keep the fleet at the limit as well, but was horribly outmatched against some massive alliance and my federation buddies did squat. Is there any way to keep up with the AIs when it comes to tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuramor posted:

Okay, I need help in finding out what I'm doing wrong. I started playing a few days ago, and I have yet to survive for more that 150 years. Every time I'm declared on by larger empires with more and better ships and it doesn't feel like I'm stagnating during gameplay. The first time I was at my colony limit(9), trying to keep the fleet at the limit as well, but was horribly outmatched against some massive alliance and my federation buddies did squat. Is there any way to keep up with the AIs when it comes to tech?

As you expand your empire your tech costs go up, the more planets you have the more expensive techs get, so you need to increase your tech output more the more planets you have. It's percentage based so while colonizing your second planet and building a couple of labs on it will make you tech faster because you doubled your number of labs, your ninth planet will require a proprotional percentage increase in the number of labs you have just to break even.

Also your fleet cap is predominantly determined by how many and how big your spaceports are, build more spaceports and upgrade them.

• Locked thread