Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

C A B

Also, hot drat, look at that Mexico. Normally, they get their teeth kicked in by the USA/PSA when they try to make a grab.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

CBA

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C A B.

Two men pay respects
Bow politely, smile warmly
Both hiding their blades.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
C (with the aim of stabbing them in the back ASAP)
A

No other option is viable :colbert:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Is there a specific mechanic for stabbing Russia in the back here because as a democracy we can't declare war on them unless them have a crazy high belligerence score and we have the intervention slider maxed out, and given that they have an alliance with Germany they aren't about to get into conflicts large enough to rack up the required belligerence. Also, why would we want to stab them in the back after giving them more land and a longer border that we would have to defend?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 3, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What's with the NaPo Russian flag? It never changed to that when I did a Wrangel playthrough.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Plutonis posted:

What's with the NaPo Russian flag? It never changed to that when I did a Wrangel playthrough.

It's new with a recent patch and comes with what basically replaces the Wrangel-Vozhd-path. Wrangel was a lot more moderate than a guy that would be a fitting figurehead for the Nazi Russia path, so he now takes what is essentially the Denikin part (I think) and somebody new (don't remember who exactly) now gets to run Russia in the Vozhd path, which comes with that fancy new flag.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A C B

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

RZApublican posted:

Is there a specific mechanic for stabbing Russia in the back here because as a democracy we can't declare war on them unless them have a crazy high belligerence score and we have the intervention slider maxed out, and given that they have an alliance with Germany they aren't about to get into conflicts large enough to rack up the required belligerence. Also, why would we want to stab them in the back after giving them more land and a longer border that we would have to defend?

They don't have an alliance with Germany, they guarantee to come to Germany's aid in a war with France specifically. Plus, I think the idea is that we stab them in the back while they're still fighting in Europe but we've mopped up the Krauts' Asian colonies. I have no idea if there's a mechanic to break the alliance mid-war, but C on the off-chance.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'll find a way to make it so that I can double cross them if it comes to that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

If my DH knowledge is accurate, I'm pretty sure decisions have the capability to just break everything. So you can just cook up a decision that breaks the alliance, cleans up the resulting two alliances (Japan + their allies / Russia + their allies) and declares war, then just fire that at will.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

C A B

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A C B

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Since this is a major decision about creating or staying out of a Eurasian alliance with Russia, here's information about the rest of the world's powers.

THE INTERNATIONALE:

France and Britain are mainstream syndicalists while the Combined Syndicates as of now has taken a more moderate tack with Norman Thomas in charge. They don't particularly like us though, since we are supporters of the Pacific States.

The Pacific States has gone a tad more right but they're certainly in our area ideologically. I checked, they are at 0% to accept an alliance, I'm certain due to their high isolationism. They will end up wherever their event chain deposits them.

THE ENTENTE:

The Entente except for National France are all democratic. We have an 88% chance to join the Entente, so that is an option at basically any time, and it may be something I put up for a vote in the event that we don't form an alliance with Russia.

Germany is democratic as of now, but our collision course with them is set.

And of course, there is Russia which is very nasty but also potentially very dangerous for us (as far as I know, if we were allied and attacked Germany, their NAP wouldn't matter and they would be drawn in regardless).

Basically, the Entente are our true brothers in ideology but their ability to help us is limited at the moment while Russia are ideological foes of liberalism but we have a mutual enemy in Germany.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 3, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
CAB

Giving up Transamur for the sake of diplomacy is reasonable, for appeasement never.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ACB

gently caress the Russians we're not betraying our allies

Also :eyepop: Uncommonly open and not-repressive countries in this timeline.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
ACB

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
A with an eye for joining the Entente later.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
CAB

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
ABC, and join the Entente when possible.

No compromises with enemies of democracy. You should all be ashamed!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

ACB

We already have a friendly Russia, it's just small right now.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Option A defeats Option C by 17-14 (1 non-SA vote for A).

Japan will not be entering into an alliance with Russia and will stand behind Transamur.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Part Six: I Hope You’re All Pleased With Yourselves (January-April 1938)

When rumors of a Russo-Japanese alliance spread following the Russian conquest of Mongolia, the Minseito government proclaimed publicly that an alliance targeted against Germany with the far right Vozhd regime was out of the question.

The lack of Russia as a partner in a confrontation with Germany and China complicated matters for Army planners, and the failure of the AOG-Qing standoff to break out into armed conflict also disappointed the planners.

The Qing Empire doubling in size overnight was an unwelcome development, as was their acquisition of the Portuguese port of Macao.

The Qing’s largest remaining contender for control of China, the National Protection Alliance centered around the Yunnan Clique, responded by seeking to seize Tibet. The previously fractious situation had China had quickly coalesced into four distinct units: the Japanese sphere, the National Protection Alliance, the Russian sphere, and the Qing Empire.

Japan was now contending with a much larger foe than it had anticipated.

The foreign developments did not change the Minseito’s plans to liberalize the economy, and the more competitive environment was already resulting in faster production of munitions.

Fortunately for the Japanese, the Russians did not take their claims on Transamur to war, at least not yet.

This strengthened the Japanese position when the Army instigated its plan to trigger a war with Qing.

Germany, despite losing the AOG to Qing, agreed to back China against Japan. The government refused to back down. Japan had taken on an incredible challenge on both land and sea. If they were successful, it would shift the balance of power in Asia forever. If they were unsuccessful, then Qing China would rise to power over the corpse of Japan’s empire.

STRATEGY SESSION

The Sphere is currently at war with the Mitteleuropa alliance, which includes all the above.

There are two theaters to consider here. The general mainland theater stretches from the frontier with the Qing Empire to Saigon. The Pacific theater consists of Germany’s mainly possessions, including Singapore, North Borneo, Northwest New Guinea and the various islands of Melanesia and Polynesia.

Germany’s Navy is large but many of the ships are old. However, Japan’s domestic difficulties have prevented us from building many ships of our own. Our carriers under production will not be ready until 1940.

On the outbreak of war, the Sphere’s military was mobilizing towards the border with Qing China. There was a clear advantage in terms of forces present on the frontier, but the total size of the Qing forces was larger.

On the Home Islands were four marine divisions, who were being held in reserve, possibly to open up a second front in China or to seize German colonial possessions.

To put it frankly, Japan had taken a hard path and seemed ready to pay for it. By committing to a liberal ideal and choosing confrontation with the greatest power of its day, Japan had not been able to expand its military like authoritarian and syndicalist states had been able to. 1936 was a year of chaos, not preparation, and the confrontation with Qing China and Imperial Germany came about sooner than anybody would have liked. However, Japan was not alone in believing that the age of the liberal democratic empires had not passed. There was an alliance that could help them.

POLICY VOTE: Join the Entente?

Yes or No.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yes

Joining the Entente will ensure our domination in Asia.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
No.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

God Yes

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hell yeah! :toot: :canada:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

YES

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Yes

Oh man that was bad luck. I play Qing a lot, so I knew a straight up annexation of the AOG is possible, but it's not the most likely of outcomes. Worse still the "inheritance" of the AOG means that they get all of the AOGs troops too, which stops the easy strat of just powering through the south. Voting yes because while Japan can totally take on even this bigger Qing and Germany, if Russia gets involved it's not gonna be a fun time

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Yes

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Probably better.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

We're not really in a position to say anything but yes

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Of course yes

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
We need SOME kind of ally. Yes

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Yes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yes.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

No

To cling to the skirts of the Entente is to say that we are dependent on white powers to cement our greatness. If the fates have chosen this path for Japan, then it is for a reason. Have you no concept of the strength of our people? We shall prevail!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
YES

Not only must we obey the laws of realpolitik, but ideologically we must stand with other democracies, especially against the great tyrant that is Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hell yes.