Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It looked to me like the new tribe killed all the adults in the old one and only took the children in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Yak of Wrath posted:

Fuller should have done it Wonderfalls style;

Coming to America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxvQQIF4KQ

This is kind of amazing that even in Wonderfalls, Bryan Fuller was pushing the idea that gods won't accept piddly gifts and demanded human sacrifice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Crow Jane posted:

It looked to me like the new tribe killed all the adults in the old one and only took the children in

No. It seemed like the leader allowed herself to be sacrificed and then a male rejected the offer of food because he was upset.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

One very humanizing thing about Nunnyunnini in this segment was that it knew it would die, but allowed itself to be lost and forgotten in order to ensure that its followers survived. The gods are not all leeching assholes.

I think it's neat how at least the old gods like Anansi have relatable human elements while the new gods are basically creations on the millennial mind like tech boy being a forum troll.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sickening posted:

No. It seemed like the leader allowed herself to be sacrificed and then a male rejected the offer of food because he was upset.

Yeah he didn't want to convert to the new god and got wrecked by a hail of javelins as a result.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Funny I thought those fellas we're native Siberians.

Possibly, but it's wasn't native anyone back 20,000 - 14,000 years ago. People are still arguing where native peoples were back then.
Calling racism for basically proto-culture, migratory hunter gather groups? is silly.

These are the same people that walked half way around the world bit by bit, swapping genes, all thee way to South America. With a 15, thousand year gap.
They all came through Siberia.

edit: I'm going away for work for 3 months, going to miss the end of this season for a while.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 30, 2017

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

Crow Jane posted:

This is what time got out of it--their God led them there to find food and said it would come at a price, and the price was that title and the adults would die so that their children would be taken in. I was under the impression that it tied in with Wednesday's talk later on in the episode about how the old gods actually gave back to their worshippers, in contrast to the new gods. :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crow Jane posted:

Sickening posted:

etalian posted:

Yeah he didn't want to convert to the new god and got wrecked by a hail of javelins as a result.

Its intentionally ambiguous and you can read it a few ways. It could be the adults knew the only way to get the children to be accepted was to die, so they all intentionally "didn't convert" in order to get killed, so the children would be accepted. The leader could have told them that. Or it could be that the god saw he wouldn't accept it and they would be killed, and told her that the children would be the only ones to survive and thus be taken in by the other tribe. It works out the same either way; the god knew how it would play out and accepted passing on something of what they were.

What seems especially poignant to me is that a Mammoth god and a Buffalo god seem... related? They're both great beasts of animals, both followed and worshiped because they are the major food source for the tribes...

Like one way you look at it, Nunny died in exchange for Mammoth taking in his tribe's children. But what if that's not the whole picture? What if Mammoth god is like, Nunny's cousin or brother? Or his son even? Or his reincarnation?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its intentionally ambiguous and you can read it a few ways. It could be the adults knew the only way to get the children to be accepted was to die, so they all intentionally "didn't convert" in order to get killed, so the children would be accepted. The leader could have told them that. Or it could be that the god saw he wouldn't accept it and they would be killed, and told her that the children would be the only ones to survive and thus be taken in by the other tribe. It works out the same either way; the god knew how it would play out and accepted passing on something of what they were.

What seems especially poignant to me is that a Mammoth god and a Buffalo god seem... related? They're both great beasts of animals, both followed and worshiped because they are the major food source for the tribes...

Like one way you look at it, Nunny died in exchange for Mammoth taking in his tribe's children. But what if that's not the whole picture? What if Mammoth god is like, Nunny's cousin or brother? Or his son even? Or his reincarnation?

Gods are created by people. People worship the mammoth god because they rely on mammoths to survive. Someone started to believe in a mammoth god and got others to and bam, one exists. Same way with the buffalo it seems. The gods also appear to compete for the belief of the people, so when the mammoth people started to follow the bison one they mammoth one was forgotten.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

I think it was to come off as a storybook fable/parable about how gods are forgotten

Sure, I get the purpose of the storytelling, I just wasn't sure why they used cartoony CGI instead of actual actors. We're still talking about homo sapiens here, even though it's 15,000 years ago. Even the Skhul/Qafzeh fossils found from 80,000 years ago show bone structure relatively the same as ours. I'm not sure why the animation used weird elf-looking people.

But anyway, this is a stupid nitpick, and it was a really well done scene. Just thought maybe I was missing something :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

COOL CORN posted:

Sure, I get the purpose of the storytelling, I just wasn't sure why they used cartoony CGI instead of actual actors. We're still talking about homo sapiens here, even though it's 15,000 years ago. Even the Skhul/Qafzeh fossils found from 80,000 years ago show bone structure relatively the same as ours. I'm not sure why the animation used weird elf-looking people.

But anyway, this is a stupid nitpick, and it was a really well done scene. Just thought maybe I was missing something :)

It used CGI because doing lots of different sets and costumes and stuff gets really expensive really fast.

They used weird elf-looking people because photorealistic people are hard and far more expensive.

Its just economics really. TV per-episode budget of a non-HBO show... just can only do so much. And this show is already going BIG on the CG effects AND the costumes and sets and stuff.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Also they blew that huge wad of money on the gay sex scene cg

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I wouldn't mind seeing more flashback scenes in a different animation styles

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

COOL CORN posted:

It was a stylistic choice. Really surprised that anyone is put off by this given the visual style of the show...seems like an odd nitpick.

And if people are this upset over it being all CGI, what kind of fit would they have pitched if it had been bad cgi (not HBO/GoT sfx budget here) mixed with live action?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also they blew that huge wad of money on the gay sex scene cg

Fiery semen is expensive, but I doubt it would deplete anyone's effects budget.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The CGI was definitely done the way it was on purpose. It's meant to look like a storybook, the death of a god. Someone mentioned to me it reminded them of the Deathly Hallows animation in the Harry Potter movies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And this may seem like a minor thing, but the more realistic a dead baby is, the more it upsets people.

They weren't "weird elf people" though, they were just cartoon people...

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is there a name for that shaky-background camera technique used during World's introduction?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Watching it again, it seems a bit confusing. The bison god kills the leader of the mammoth tribe. Then the bison people offer livers(?) to that one guy, but he knocks them to the ground. The bison person signals to shoot that guy with arrows. but then one of the mammoth ladies picks up the liver bundle and offers it to the children. Or was that just an older child?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The female leader​ of the tribe sacrifices herself to the buffalo god, the one dude refuses to convert, so they kill him. Everyone else converts and reaps the benefits of being in the new buffallo worshipping tribe.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

The CGI was definitely done the way it was on purpose. It's meant to look like a storybook, the death of a god. Someone mentioned to me it reminded them of the Deathly Hallows animation in the Harry Potter movies.

Yeah, it was also the first time we've seen a god in an explicit and fairly fantastical form. So far all gods we've seen looked like fairly regular people, with the exception of Anansi's spiderface and Mr World's globehead. So with that it makes sense to go for a focused and unified art style to properly integrate that visual.

And, of course, there's the factor that this story was literally prehistoric. Filming something in the traditional way generally gives the impression that the viewer is somehow a direct witness to the events. But the whole point of the story was that the whole thing had been forgotten about. The stylisied approach helps to underscore that disconnect, to emphasize that this is just a story and not an actual account.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's super true. I really felt that "showing a thing that has been forgotten" like, "wasn't possible". Like the only way to relate it is through telling a story about it. Yoy can have a "flashback" to something no one remembers.

I mean, obviously you could, but this stylistic choice suggests the idea that you can't, which is a stylistic choice of it's own.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dont know if it was intended, but one of the benefits of animation is that the stone coloring of their skin makes their race harder to pin down.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I dont know if it was intended, but one of the benefits of animation is that the stone coloring of their skin makes their race harder to pin down.

It was, they call out how one of the benefits of animating was not having to make a call about how people would have looked in real life in the after-episode segment.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Elotana posted:

Is there a name for that shaky-background camera technique used during World's introduction?

yep, it's called Snorricam

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr73ez4lqDI

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Elotana posted:

They filmed him using a handheld camera and then stabilized the image on his face, so the background looks like it's freaking out to keep him centered and still.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Was the buffalo from this flashback the same buffalo that Shadow sees in the first episode?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I think it is but the eyes aren't on fire as much

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My friends, should you ever visit Kentucky, I promise that "C'mon, one drink. Well, that's a lie. Five, six drinks!" shall be the order of the day.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I really liked the weird animation style of the intro. The look of the people reminded me of wood, like they're carved figures or something. Like the only thing to go by is old artifacts of petrified wood and that's what the story is based on. And it makes it feel like, well, properly old. Like the people made of wood sounds like something out of a creation myth and or something about living in harmony with the land.

It also evokes a feeling in me that they're part of the old old history of the land. Like the story is as old as the trees or as old as the hills. This story that is so old that even the people in it are made out of the hills, because well, the hills are the only thing that old.

Idk, I'm bad at words.

Gillian Anderson Bowie was amazing and I need that background music in my life. I also think it's wholly worth noting that the technical boy didn't really pick up on what Media was doing AND that she snared him with his own trap. And hosed with him in his own cyber limo. The technical boy may be the means, but she's far better at the actual memes and understanding. The technical boy may be an upcoming power house of belief, but media has been media for eighty loving years and she's got far more belief and experience behind her. She definitely won't from lack of belief any time soon but she is due to evolve. The technical boy may be getting a juice from every time you send a Snapchat, but media is getting a trickle when you're talking about binge watching Netflix.

Personally I think her appearance is based on what's iconic as much as what's old. Partly she's using what's available (like Lucy) and what Shadow and Wednesday would recognize, like Marilyn. Stuff that's already timeless.

And impersonating another, living person might be a huge legal issue too.

Oh man I've been psyched for crispin Glover since I saw his name and he loving killed it so goddamned hard the wind is blowing back to Scandinavia. He's definitely the men in black, three letter agency, black helicopter spookshow that has a secret file on every American, although I read him as a little more American than true globalist. He sees the globe as something to be exploited, not united. The only time a country is referenced directly is as a blood sacrifice for Odin. He's got a license to kill, it classified, leave no witnessed and spin whatever kinda story you want thing. He might be the shadow government deep state, but he's an American shadow government.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I got the feeling that Mr. World is actual omnipotence, a constructed being that knows and sees everything. His power is letting what he wants of that knowledge be sent out through his pantheon of subordinates, Media and Meme-a-tron.

It's a power all the old gods played at, sacrificed for... but for him, it's just a given with zero cost.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wonder if him making a big deal out of 'seeing' Wednesday, here, in person, has any significance. Wednesday did mention he's someone you don't want to see your face until you're ready

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I am leaning on some book knowledge for Mister World but honestly the show is going off in its own direction at a pretty fast loving clip and that's already given us the Adventures of Laura, Audrey and Laura's Arm and Nicky Sobotka's Series Of Incredibly Unlucky Amazingly Giffable Moments of Magnificent Misfortune, so book divergence is a Good Thing so far.

You're a loving rear end in a top hat, Dead Wife.

e: like most of this episode is all new, practically none of it is directly lifted from the book.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
-boop-

Deleted due to request.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 3, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eh this is more of a thing where the actor wears a body cam while they move in order to make the environment rotate and bump around them. Mr. World's thing was more of a focus trick, although done with post stabilization. (You could probably just do the fuzz in post too, might look different)

Josef bugman posted:

In reference to the tree thing, I heard that it might be something to do with Mr Wood from the Books. Perhaps the other MIB will be making appearances?

This isn't the book thread, go post in the book thread if you wanna do that dude

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mr world is surely the internet? The whole wank face thing for example.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Definitely the personification of the NSA datacenter in Utah.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bape Culture posted:

Mr world is surely the internet? The whole wank face thing for example.

I think he is the personification of all the tinfoil hat people who think the government is watching their every move. They all believe this one thing is happening and they ended up spawning the thing they fear in Mr World.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

quote:

This isn't the book thread, go post in the book thread if you wanna do that dude

Fuller already posted storyboards with that name. So now you can't even spoiler stuff in this thread that Fuller publicly posts about? I don't even remember that character from the book. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

CaveGrinch posted:

Fuller already posted storyboards with that name. So now you can't even spoiler stuff in this thread that Fuller publicly posts about? I don't even remember that character from the book. Jesus Christ.

they didn't say "Mr. Wood from the storyboards that Fuller posted for the show that Starz produces and airs on television, here's a link!", they said "Mr Wood from the books"