Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Bored and ever so slightly drunk on a Friday evening, decided to finally replace my poo poo mouse, Amazon tells me "Hey you buy a lot of useless toys, how about that Oculus Rift here, I can get it to you tomorrow!" Curiosity got the better of me.

So... this poo poo really, really works. However, the resolution is definitely too low for me to use it as my main/permanent display. Double it for 2nd gen (if 2nd gen ever happens) and I'll buy whatever PC is required to drive that thing and throw out my sim racing monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm waiting for
a) higher res, better quality in general
b) some kind of integrated (place for) corrective lenses because gently caress wearing glasses inside a VR thing

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

uXs posted:

b) some kind of integrated (place for) corrective lenses because gently caress wearing glasses inside a VR thing

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have smaller glasses I got from the air force and I have no issues with them in VR.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I wear glasses but they're relatively weak so I can get by without using them under the headset.

Two hours of AC, no problem. Tried Adrift, had to stop after 10 minutes and lie down a bit :barf:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I have contacts specifically for when I want to play VR. I agree that fitting prescription lenses would be great, though you still run into the issue of your friends/family being blind or potentially scratching your lenses.

Hopefully gen 2 uses a different style lense that can be adjusted, so that glasses or contacts aren't needed. Then just have an option like the IPD adjuster to find a good point.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

VR is cool but Dirt 4 has no support so I can avoid buying a headset another day!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Gozinbulx posted:

I don't get how dischord works. I get notifications of messages but can't see anything.

click the @ sign

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I am lucky enough that my glasses fit into the rift because I have a narrow head. I liked AMS but my current room/wheel setup is cramped so I can't do non VR games.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Some things I learned about VR in AC:

- Even though I'm only somewhat shortsighted, "the screens are close I don't need my glasses" does not really work. There seems to be more going on and I have way less eye strain using my glasses under the headset.
- Oculus has some tech that makes 45 FPS seem alright, but in the long run you probably want to make sure that it stays at 90.
- 1.5 supersampling and sacrificing some world detail is a very good tradeoff for picture clarity.
- Personally I think it looks better with all post processing off.
- My brain/eyes seem to prefer having the virtual driver in place, i.e. not being invisible.

Last not least: This poo poo is pretty compelling. I kinda wish I hadn't bought the drat thing, because now I'll spent all day every day waiting for Oculus4K.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Some things I learned about VR in AC:

- Even though I'm only somewhat shortsighted, "the screens are close I don't need my glasses" does not really work. There seems to be more going on and I have way less eye strain using my glasses under the headset.
- Oculus has some tech that makes 45 FPS seem alright, but in the long run you probably want to make sure that it stays at 90.
- 1.5 supersampling and sacrificing some world detail is a very good tradeoff for picture clarity.
- Personally I think it looks better with all post processing off.
- My brain/eyes seem to prefer having the virtual driver in place, i.e. not being invisible.

Last not least: This poo poo is pretty compelling. I kinda wish I hadn't bought the drat thing, because now I'll spent all day every day waiting for Oculus4K.

The way VR works is to trick your eyes into focusing at infinity so nearsighted people have to wear glasses as your eyes are always looking into the distance. At least for the most part, unless the object in game is extremely close to the camera.
ASW smoothes out performance if it drops under 45FPS but its noticable in racing sims so its best to tweak your settings to stay at 90FPS.

Supersampling is not linear so the best performance to clarity setting is actually 1.3

I only use post processing to darken/saturate the image some as with it off AC looks very washed out to me.
Some people like the racer arms some don't. Also there is some settings to keep drivers view fixed to the horizon to help with motion sickness.

I know you don't own a rift/vive but in general even with current tech it is pretty sweet. To me AC overall looks better than iRacing in VR with the exception that the mirrors in iracing work better.

Also, nurburgring in the gen 1 miata is a good way to chill.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 5, 2017

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I honestly don't even need actual VR. just a screen I could wear on my head like all those dumb VR-goggles-that-hold-your-phone things you see everywhere, but with a screen that has an HDMI input, and i can play like im staring at an 80inch screen. thats all I want. But it seems surprisingly hard to find even though that tech has been around for like 15 years.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The way VR works is to trick your eyes into focusing at infinity so nearsighted people have to wear glasses as your eyes are always looking into the distance. At least for the most part, unless the object in game is extremely close to the camera.

Ah, that would explain it.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

ASW smoothes out performance if it drops under 45FPS but its noticable in racing sims so its best to tweak your settings to stay at 90FPS.

Elite seems to be 45 everywhere other than in open space, but there it doesn't seem to matter. In AC 45 FPS bothers me after a while.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Supersampling is not linear so the best performance to clarity setting is actually 1.3

And thanks for that. Got me some performance back to raise world detail slider a notch.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

I honestly don't even need actual VR. just a screen I could wear on my head like all those dumb VR-goggles-that-hold-your-phone things you see everywhere, but with a screen that has an HDMI input, and i can play like im staring at an 80inch screen. thats all I want. But it seems surprisingly hard to find even though that tech has been around for like 15 years.

A friend of mine had a Sony Glasstron HMD back in the late 90s, which was exactly that. It was the cheapest one and the resolution wasn't great but it was still pretty neat for the time, I remember playing Jet Moto with it a bunch.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Eyud posted:

A friend of mine had a Sony Glasstron HMD back in the late 90s, which was exactly that. It was the cheapest one and the resolution wasn't great but it was still pretty neat for the time, I remember playing Jet Moto with it a bunch.

Yeah I remember this, I just don't see how there are not higher res newer version of this stuff today. on Amazon you see that there is a miche market for this for like people who want to pilot their camera drones as if they were flying them (cool idea I guess) but everyone says they look like poo poo and theyre based on wireless tech (obviously) which isnt even what I need.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gozinbulx posted:

https://shop.avegant.com/

Pretty mixed reviews and at that price, might as well get a VR headset.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

That's pretty much what VR is at this point.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
Is a rift more demanding than a triple screen setup? I run 3x 1920x1080 (with render separately/multi-view/whatever each sim calls it) and I would have thought that would have been more demanding than 2x 1080×1200, but I wonder whether I am missing something.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd be buying a headset if Dirt 4 had support. I used it with iracing and AC and was on the fence.

Nothing else this year I see myself using one for.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

General RAARGH posted:

Is a rift more demanding than a triple screen setup? I run 3x 1920x1080 (with render separately/multi-view/whatever each sim calls it) and I would have thought that would have been more demanding than 2x 1080×1200, but I wonder whether I am missing something.

It is also 90hz vs 60hz, so that's 50% more. And you are rendering 2 individual screens/views, not one large view that is split to multiple screens. Then you have the actual render pixels, which tend to be slightly higher than the screen resolution. That is set by the developer and could be increased further by the user (which can drastically increase clarity).

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I gave in and finally re-regged at iRacing to give it another shot.

1. Man I hate forced cockpit view but whatever, It's fine.

2. Did a race, people hitting me counts against ME for contact?

3. Finally got disqualified for contact when someone spun out and drove ACROSS (perpendicular) the track and I had literally no way to not t-bone him.

What is that poo poo?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If you're involved in that many incidents you're likely part of the problem

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

So I gave in and finally re-regged at iRacing to give it another shot.

1. Man I hate forced cockpit view but whatever, It's fine.

2. Did a race, people hitting me counts against ME for contact?

3. Finally got disqualified for contact when someone spun out and drove ACROSS (perpendicular) the track and I had literally no way to not t-bone him.

What is that poo poo?

1. This is a racing sim, not an arcade game. You'll also want a wheel and not a controller if you want to be good.

2. iRacing uses a no fault system.It's not possible for the game to assign fault. For any situation where you think it's obvious the other person is at fault, someone will find a way to purposefully get themselves hit to give someone else fault. This means that whenever there is a collision, everyone involved gets incident points. Everyone also gets the same amount of incident points. So if you tap someone and they end up spinning out and hitting a wall and getting a 4x, you also get a 4x even though you carried on just fine. There's a time period after the initial incident where any incident points are applied to everyone involved up to a maximum 4x.

3. There's usually always a way to avoid a crash. Sometimes you won't have enough time to react, but most of the time you can lift off and steer around. In the end, even real life races have crashes, you just have to live with it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I started playing again recently with a controller (because I accidentally resubbed for a year after selling my wheel) and you can be pretty decent with it depending on the car. Not that it is any great accomplishment, but I've been winning some rookie Mazda races with it by qualifying near the top and staying fairly clean. I'll probably start practicing some ovals with it to see how it goes and maybe some bottom split BSS races.

That being said, you will likely never be top split or driving any fast open-wheel cars quick at all without a wheel. But I'm having fun at least.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

1. This is a racing sim, not an arcade game. You'll also want a wheel and not a controller if you want to be good.

2. iRacing uses a no fault system.It's not possible for the game to assign fault. For any situation where you think it's obvious the other person is at fault, someone will find a way to purposefully get themselves hit to give someone else fault. This means that whenever there is a collision, everyone involved gets incident points. Everyone also gets the same amount of incident points. So if you tap someone and they end up spinning out and hitting a wall and getting a 4x, you also get a 4x even though you carried on just fine. There's a time period after the initial incident where any incident points are applied to everyone involved up to a maximum 4x.

3. There's usually always a way to avoid a crash. Sometimes you won't have enough time to react, but most of the time you can lift off and steer around. In the end, even real life races have crashes, you just have to live with it.

1. Come on man, you really gonna condescend to me in the Sim Racing thread because I don't like cockpit view? I play all the sims, they all have nose view, which is my preference.

2. I get it, theres no way to assign fault, but then what do I do when someone just repeatedly hits me in the back because they can't find a way around me? I got tapped like 3 times that way. Then, someone else tried to pass, I didn't try to aggressively cut them off, in fact I held my line, and the guy just veered into me. He ended up spinning out and I held but again, all the points for nothing.

3. There was literally no way to avoid this crash, the guy was being malicious and intentionally drove in front of me across the track as I was trying to avoid him. Also, this was at the worst possible place, the top of the hill at Lime Rock, so I was completely blind until I went over the hill and there he was, a few feet away waiting for me upon which then he gunned it forward (across) leaving me absolutely no way avoid him. I don't know what the solution is, but i thought the reason I paid monthly and paid out of the rear end for any cars or tracks was to avoid this kind of poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Crashes happen. I've been crashed out of 24 hour races with no fault of my own. Crashes happen to the best real drivers in the world.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can report people who freak out and go out of their way to drive backwards or something. They usually get suspended if it something super obvious.

A guy tapping you from being several times could be you are braking earlier than most cars do at a corner or him braking later. Punting people is by far the most common kind of accident in rookie road races. You just need to deal and move on to the next race. If the same thing keeps happening then it is because you are loving up in some way, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Also get out of rookies

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I thought people were bad at ovals till I realized I was lifting early during races and causing people to wreck into me.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Gozinbulx posted:

1. Come on man, you really gonna condescend to me in the Sim Racing thread because I don't like cockpit view? I play all the sims, they all have nose view, which is my preference.

2. I get it, theres no way to assign fault, but then what do I do when someone just repeatedly hits me in the back because they can't find a way around me? I got tapped like 3 times that way. Then, someone else tried to pass, I didn't try to aggressively cut them off, in fact I held my line, and the guy just veered into me. He ended up spinning out and I held but again, all the points for nothing.

3. There was literally no way to avoid this crash, the guy was being malicious and intentionally drove in front of me across the track as I was trying to avoid him. Also, this was at the worst possible place, the top of the hill at Lime Rock, so I was completely blind until I went over the hill and there he was, a few feet away waiting for me upon which then he gunned it forward (across) leaving me absolutely no way avoid him. I don't know what the solution is, but i thought the reason I paid monthly and paid out of the rear end for any cars or tracks was to avoid this kind of poo poo.

1. It's an ACTUAL sim, show me any racing where you drive while strapped to the hood

2. You can either let them by to save your rating, or just live with it. If you drive cleaner than they do, you'll finish more races, get more points, and be put into a different league from them.

3. Welcome to racing, enjoy your stay. Still far cleaner than any other sims. If someone is being especially egregious, you can snip a clip and file a protest against them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

1. iRacing is trying to be the most realistic sim. You can't drive a real car from a nose camera, so they force everyone to drive from the position you drive a real car from.

2. If they are causing a problem, you protest them after the race.

3. In this case, you save a replay and file a protest. There is a setting you can set so it always asks if you want to save a replay before you quit. Save a replay, cut out the specific bit where the guy pulls out in front of you. Then you go to the race results page after the cooldown period and click the link to file a protest. You explain what happened and upload your replay segment.

In any case, once you get above 3.0 SR you get automatically promoted out of rookies for some reason. Move to D class and you'll be able to find some better racing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't mean for this to sound condescending but I think just about everyone goes through the same reaction that you do, where you are pissed that you are getting wrecked by some supposed stupid fucker in a pay service designed to weed those people out. It is completely normal and part of learning how to deal with iRacing. Sometimes you will be the stupid fucker. That is what race cars in real life are.

Also yeah, it gets way better out of rookies. I'm pretty sure some people have sunk hundreds of dollars into iRacing subscriptions and never leave rookies.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

In any case, once you get above 3.0 SR you get automatically promoted out of rookies for some reason. Move to D class and you'll be able to find some better racing.

not much better, but better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In low skill lobbies, swallowing your pride and lagging to the back of the pack is the best way to get a clean drive in. If the other drivers really are that bad they'll eventually eat poo poo on their own and you can get by without much issue.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

In low skill lobbies, swallowing your pride and lagging to the back of the pack is the best way to get a clean drive in. If the other drivers really are that bad they'll eventually eat poo poo on their own and you can get by without much issue.

Yeah this is true but this is also really boring and you do sorta need to learn how to race in traffic at some point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well then you gotta choose your poison. Get a boring clean race, or suck it up when someone rams you and move on with life. That's life.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Automobilista is on sale so I picked it up, interested to see what's been improved since stock car extreme and nice to see that they are still updating it.

Do any of these games with karts have amusement tracks? Would be neat to set it up for my daughter and have her zoom around in a rental kart. And who am I kidding, I'd enjoy the hell out of that.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Didn't know about the replay clip/protest system, good to know. This was prime candidate as I said, the dude literally cut across the track to hit me, not just "racing is racing".

I don't think I even accidentally hit anyone, but I did get legit points taken away from leaving the track slightly a couple times cause after getting banged up, my car had no stability under braking and it was very difficult to get through each turn clean. The taps on the back were definitely cause I was slow/braking too soon cause of this, but I don't know what else to do other than make my turn then get out of the way, which I did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do some more practice. Get into practice sessions and watch laps by other people. When you can do several laps in a row without going off the track, get into busy practices and drive next to other people. Then jump into another race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I've never understood the argument that head (usually actually chest) cam is the most realistic option. I sit a similar distance between my monitor and my front windshield, only that my windshield is about 60 inches diagonally and with infinite resolution. I would argue that a top of bonnet cam is the most realistic. Your spatial awareness is sooooo much better in a real car than a sim, and reducing it further by filling half the screen with useless interior just seems dumb to me. VR and maybe crazy surround monitor setups is an exception though.