Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

Sky Ladder

Any natural feature or piece of hardware which allows a god or mortal to ascend quickly and

easily to Heaven is called a sky ladder.​ Many sky ladders are physical terrain features anyone

may climb to get to one precinct or another in Heaven, such as ancient trees or sacred

mountains like Kunlun. You can also get a portable version in the form of a collapsible ladder,

grapnel gun, or similar climbing aid; the ̉ŕshà, who also employ sky ladders to get to their

Heaven, like golden chains. Especially outside the Middle Kingdom, where natural sky ladders

are rare, a pocket sky ladder is a great way to keep in touch with your superiors, or escape to

your office when your ex shows up.

Batman: Chinese god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Terrorforge posted:

Speaking of, werewolves don't have any special power deal lethal damage to spirits, right? Unless they outrank the prey they just deal bashing damage like everything else? This is one of those things that ends up being confusing because it's never addressed directly. I'm pretty sure this is how the rules work out, but the fact that the book is constantly talking about spirits being "torn apart" and that one sidebar that notes a werewolf's natural weapons count as "supernatural" for things that care about it (which I don't think spirits do?) very easily gives the impression that they're extra lethal to Shadow entities.

And while I'm asking, do Claimed still burn 1 Essence per day to stay alive like a spirit does? And do they retain any of their "human" Traits like Vice, Virtue or Integrity?

Pretty sure Werewolf claws and teeth to lethal to literally everything, and aggravated damage if the werewolf is actually consuming them. Even to spirits. You've got to actually be in a condition where the spirit is corporeal to you - ie, in the Shadow, the spirit is materialised or you have a Siskur-Dah or other power that lets you hit spirits in Twilight - but if you can hit them, I'm pretty sure it's lethal. Wolves were built for hunting spirits.

As for Claimed, pretty sure that one of the reasons to Claim or Possess something is that while you're piggybacking on a meatsuit, you don't need to spend an Essence a day to stay alive. It counts as being under an anchoring condition. As for Vice, Virtue and Integrity, since it's the spirit in control I think you use the spirit's Vice and Virtue and ignore Integrity entirely.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Doodmons posted:

Pretty sure Werewolf claws and teeth to lethal to literally everything, and aggravated damage if the werewolf is actually consuming them. Even to spirits. You've got to actually be in a condition where the spirit is corporeal to you - ie, in the Shadow, the spirit is materialised or you have a Siskur-Dah or other power that lets you hit spirits in Twilight - but if you can hit them, I'm pretty sure it's lethal. Wolves were built for hunting spirits.

That feels like the natural assumption, but I cannot find anything in the book that actually supports it.

Doodmons posted:

As for Claimed, pretty sure that one of the reasons to Claim or Possess something is that while you're piggybacking on a meatsuit, you don't need to spend an Essence a day to stay alive. It counts as being under an anchoring condition. As for Vice, Virtue and Integrity, since it's the spirit in control I think you use the spirit's Vice and Virtue and ignore Integrity entirely.

Yeah see the thing about those "anchoring" Conditions like Fetter is that they protect from Essence bleed, which is the loss of 1 Essence per hour ephemeral entities suffer outside suitable conditions, not their natural "metabolism" that consumes 1 Essence per day. Claiming also explicitly protects against Essence bleed, but it makes no mention of their natural consumption. I'm guessing it still applies, but Claimed are weird enough that I figured it was worth asking.

Also spirits in 2e no longer have Virtues or Vices.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I love everything about this preview, including the part where Laozi's most common incarnation in the world is a mass of bickering Chinese grandmas.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Terrorforge posted:

That feels like the natural assumption, but I cannot find anything in the book that actually supports it.

Yeah see the thing about those "anchoring" Conditions like Fetter is that they protect from Essence bleed, which is the loss of 1 Essence per hour ephemeral entities suffer outside suitable conditions, not their natural "metabolism" that consumes 1 Essence per day. Claiming also explicitly protects against Essence bleed, but it makes no mention of their natural consumption. I'm guessing it still applies, but Claimed are weird enough that I figured it was worth asking.

Also spirits in 2e no longer have Virtues or Vices.

Anchoring Conditions also grant a point of Essence per day to any connecting spirits in proximity to them. You're right in that it doesn't technically stop the daily Essence bleed, but it does cancel it out. What I'm not 100% sure about but don't see any reason why they can't is whether Claimed can use their once-daily "gorge for Essence" on their own Claimed Condition to no ill effect. I would assume they can, otherwise I don't really see how Claimed get any Essence back since all the other sources of Essence are on the other side of the Gauntlet. I guess they could go around causing more Resonant and Open Conditions and gorging on those. Even then, I imagine a Claimed is pretty Essence-starved, deprived of their usual bounty of other spirits to leech off. They're trading food supply for reduced outgoings, I suppose.

Good catch with the Virtue and Vice, it's only ghosts and angels who have those.

With regards to hurting spirits, I think this is one of those dumb White Wolf 'you have to infer based on the text' things: the justification for them taking bashing is their lack of internal organs etc, which is the same reason vampires don't take lthal from normal attacks and werewolves explicitly do do lethal to vampires so, therefore, to spirits. The line that's confusing me in the Combat section of the spirits chapter is the mention that spirits in Twilight can only attack and be attacked by spirits "of the same type". I assume that this is an artefact from OPP copy and pasting the Ephemeral Beings rules and find+replacing 'ephemeral being' with spirit. In the original text in GMC it said "entities in Twilight can only attack or be attacked by ephemeral beings of the same type" so I can only assume that the passage in Werewolf means that rather than, say, a fire spirit can only fight other fire spirits which is what I would think had I never read another WoD book and didn't know what an ephemeral being was.

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 27, 2017

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Doodmons posted:

Anchoring Conditions also grant a point of Essence per day to any connecting spirits in proximity to them. You're right in that it doesn't technically stop the daily Essence bleed, but it does cancel it out. What I'm not 100% sure about but don't see any reason why they can't is whether Claimed can use their once-daily "gorge for Essence" on their own Claimed Condition to no ill effect. I would assume they can, otherwise I don't really see how Claimed get any Essence back since all the other sources of Essence are on the other side of the Gauntlet. I guess they could go around causing more Resonant and Open Conditions and gorging on those. Even then, I imagine a Claimed is pretty Essence-starved, deprived of their usual bounty of other spirits to leech off. They're trading food supply for reduced outgoings, I suppose.

Good catch with the Virtue and Vice, it's only ghosts and angels who have those.

Oh riiiight, the hierarchy of Conditions means that anything a a spirit Possesses or is Fettered to is by definition Open, which means it is by definition Resonant, which means being there generates Essence for it. That should probably let Claimed generate their own daily Essence as well.

As for getting more, the behavior of Claimed briefly described in Werewolf suggests they're trying to create Resonant Conditions - the Hatred-Claimed sows dissent, the Fire-Claimed torches stuff, that sort of thing. That could just be them acting out their nature, but either way I'd say that disallowing them to gorge on themselves is the most narratively interesting option, since it forces them to seek out or create appropriate conditions.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

My money's on "actually a slapdash mobile game"

not to rain on anyone's parade here but focus home interactive does primarily publish actual real video games

primarily weird budget european stuff like the Divinity games and the Sherlock Holmes games but, like, actual things on PC

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Doodmons posted:

With regards to hurting spirits, I think this is one of those dumb White Wolf 'you have to infer based on the text' things: the justification for them taking bashing is their lack of internal organs etc, which is the same reason vampires don't take lthal from normal attacks and werewolves explicitly do do lethal to vampires so, therefore, to spirits.

The thing about that is that vampires have a line in their book stating that they take bashing damage from non-supernatural weapons. There is no equivalent line for spirits. This gets under my skin because implies it just hard enough that it feels like it should be the case, but not hard enough that it has to be RAI. I mean, a pack of werewolves can beat up most spirits pretty good dealing only bashing, assuming they can get the wiley little sods to stay put.

Doodmons posted:

The line that's confusing me in the Combat section of the spirits chapter is the mention that spirits in Twilight can only attack and be attacked by spirits "of the same type". I assume that this is an artefact from OPP copy and pasting the Ephemeral Beings rules and find+replacing 'ephemeral being' with spirit. In the original text in GMC it said "entities in Twilight can only attack or be attacked by ephemeral beings of the same type" so I can only assume that the passage in Werewolf means that rather than, say, a fire spirit can only fight other fire spirits which is what I would think had I never read another WoD book and didn't know what an ephemeral being was.

Yeah that's a clear case of copy-paste gone wrong. There's a few similar in the 2e core rulebook where it's painfully obvious they've just done a find and replace exchanging "World of Darkness" for "Chronicles of Darkness", like where it talks about cahracters "living in the Chronicles of Darkness."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Batman: Chinese god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA6KPuUGQz4

It's been done before.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Terrorforge posted:

Speaking of, werewolves don't have any special power deal lethal damage to spirits, right? Unless they outrank the prey they just deal bashing damage like everything else? This is one of those things that ends up being confusing because it's never addressed directly. I'm pretty sure this is how the rules work out, but the fact that the book is constantly talking about spirits being "torn apart" and that one sidebar that notes a werewolf's natural weapons count as "supernatural" for things that care about it (which I don't think spirits do?) very easily gives the impression that they're extra lethal to Shadow entities.

I think there is a shadow gift called Barghest that let's them wreck spirits or undead (can't remember which).

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kibner posted:

I think there is a shadow gift called Barghest that let's them wreck spirits or undead (can't remember which).

It's undead, and it mostly just lets you attack ghosts in Twilight. It also has a side clause about sucking Willpower from corporeal undead and if they don't have any left you deal lethal damage, but nothing like that for ephemeral beasties.

Barghest is kind of funny though because it creates the inintuitive situation that any werewolf (but especially a Bone Shadow) can learn to attack ghosts at will, but the only unique way they have of attacking spirits in Twilight is the Bone Shadow Siskur-Dah.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What We Do In The Shadows is free on Amazon Prime Video right now.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Terrorforge posted:

It's undead, and it mostly just lets you attack ghosts in Twilight. It also has a side clause about sucking Willpower from corporeal undead and if they don't have any left you deal lethal damage, but nothing like that for ephemeral beasties.

Barghest is kind of funny though because it creates the inintuitive situation that any werewolf (but especially a Bone Shadow) can learn to attack ghosts at will, but the only unique way they have of attacking spirits in Twilight is the Bone Shadow Siskur-Dah.

Uh...

Werewolves have an honorary Rank score based on their Renown (pg 99). If it's 2 higher than a spirit's Rank, the Werewolf's natural weapons count as that spirit's Bane, meaning they do lethal damage even when the spirit's in Twilight - and aggravated if they're both in the Hisil or the spirit's Materialized in the Flesh.

There's no power for "can shank weaker spirits" because it's built into being a werewolf. All Uratha have it.

Why 2 higher? Because it means most Uratha can tear Rank 1 spirits apart, experienced ones can injure Rank 2 spirits, and elder werewolves can take on Rank 3 spirits - Rank 4 and 5 ones are sufficiently epic to always need a proper Hunt.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 30, 2017

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Uh...

Werewolves have an honorary Rank score based on their Renown (pg 99). If it's 2 higher than a spirit's Rank, the Werewolf's natural weapons count as that spirit's Bane, meaning they do lethal damage even when the spirit's in Twilight - and aggravated if they're both in the Hisil or the spirit's Materialized in the Flesh.

There's no power for "can shank weaker spirits" because it's built into being a werewolf. All Uratha have it.

Why 2 higher? Because it means most Uratha can tear Rank 1 spirits apart, experienced ones can injure Rank 2 spirits, and elder werewolves can take on Rank 3 spirits - Rank 4 and 5 ones are sufficiently epic to always need a proper Hunt.

Right, but I'm not talking about weaker spirits. The fact that there's a Gift that lets you punch a Rank 4 underworld monstrosity in Twilight but not one that lets you hit the Rank 4 shadow monstrosity you're actually supposed to shepherd is a minor curiosity, but what I really want to know is what kind of damage werewolf teeth and claws do to a spirit when its Materialized or both of them are in the Hisil and the werewolf isn't of higher rank.

e: btw, the note for the Bone Shadow Siskur-Dah "grants your character the ability to touch and strike ephemeral entities nominated as prey with her natural weapons." I assume that's meant to imply ephemeral entities in Twilight?

e2: wait, what's that about a Hunt? I heard someone else say that calling Siskur-Dah as a Bone Shadow lets you deal lethal damage to spirit prey, but I couldn't find any references to that in the text either

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 30, 2017

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kurieg posted:

What We Do In The Shadows is free on Amazon Prime Video right now.

If you haven't yet, watch this. It's hilarious.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

If you haven't yet, watch this. It's hilarious.

Seconding, thirding, fourthing, and fifthing this statement.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Terrorforge posted:

Right, but I'm not talking about weaker spirits. The fact that there's a Gift that lets you punch a Rank 4 underworld monstrosity in Twilight but not one that lets you hit the Rank 4 shadow monstrosity you're actually supposed to shepherd is a minor curiosity, but what I really want to know is what kind of damage werewolf teeth and claws do to a spirit when its Materialized or both of them are in the Hisil and the werewolf isn't of higher rank.

e: btw, the note for the Bone Shadow Siskur-Dah "grants your character the ability to touch and strike ephemeral entities nominated as prey with her natural weapons." I assume that's meant to imply ephemeral entities in Twilight?

e2: wait, what's that about a Hunt? I heard someone else say that calling Siskur-Dah as a Bone Shadow lets you deal lethal damage to spirit prey, but I couldn't find any references to that in the text either

Yeah, this is super-relevant and starting to make me think that we have been doing it wrong in the Viking Werewolf game I'm in. The way we've been running it is that werewolves do lethal to spirits normally and aggravated to them if they're consuming their spirit-flesh for Essence or if they are 2 Ranks higher than them. The difficulty is that werewolves have no special way to hit spirits that aren't corporeal. So they can happily gnaw away if:

1) The Spirit and Wolf are both in the Hisil
2) The Spirit and Wolf are both in the real world and the Spirit is Manifested or Possessing someone
3) The Spirit is in Twilight and the Wolf is currently under a Bone Shadow Siskur-Dah or some equivalent effect that lets them hit incorporeal beings
4) The Spirit is in Twilight and the Wolf is two spirit ranks higher than the spirit - thus counting as its bane, and therefore solid to it in Twilight.

but otherwise they're poo poo out of luck as far as being able to punch spirits. Is this wrong? Is it meant to be bashing?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
IIRC, there's a segment in WTF 2e that mentions spirits from the shadow and spirits from other places actually can't interact until they manifest. So the 'punch ghosts in the ghost-twilight' power is specifically meant to allow werewolves to deal with a type of spirit they can't normally interact with in the Twilight.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Tasoth posted:

IIRC, there's a segment in WTF 2e that mentions spirits from the shadow and spirits from other places actually can't interact until they manifest. So the 'punch ghosts in the ghost-twilight' power is specifically meant to allow werewolves to deal with a type of spirit they can't normally interact with in the Twilight.

In the World Chronicles of Darkness, "spirit" refers exclusively to denizens of the Shadow. The collective terms for spirits, ghosts, angels and others beings that use the same basic ruleset is "ephemeral beings".

And the thing that makes Barghest a little weird is that werewolves actually don't have an easy way of interacting with regular Shadow spirits in Twilight. In order to attack a powerful spirit in Twilight, a werewolf must utilize its Bane, force it to Materialize or call a Bone Shadow Sacred Hunt on it. In order to attack a powerful ghost in twilight, a werewolf can do any of those things or just spend 1 Essence on a Gift.

(There is one caveat, which is that Werewolves have other things that make it easier for them to deal with spirits specifically, like the Ithaeur's Shadow Gaze which lets them find a spirit's Bane on sight and that thing that makes them count as a Bane for weak spirits)

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 31, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

The Scion 2e preview for the Shen just went out to the backers.

I'm not sure whether I should punch or congratulate whoever made the Wudang clan joke.

I love one of Guan Yu's aliases: "Guan the Holy Great Deity, God of War Manifesting Benevolence, Bravery and Prestige, Protector of the Country and Defender of the People, Prow and Honest Supporter of Peace and Reconciliation, Promoter of Morality, Loyalty and Righteousness"

Also, if one were to choose a single Pantheon to do a campaign around, the Celestial Bureaucracy seems like the easiest because plots would literally be the same inane poo poo that would go on in a normal bureaucracy but with gods and demons and magic.
"I need an original copy of form 4682-31-0-23."
"Turns out it's in Diyu"
"Turns out the person who took it to Diyu, lost it and was picked up by a Scion of the Kami"
"Turns out it was stolen by a Titanspawn"
and so on...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Their view on rehabbing the Titans also owns hardcore.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Their view on rehabbing the Titans also owns hardcore.

If they could get the Sun Wukong to (somewhat) behave (occasionally), they should have no problem getting Titans to do the same.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah. I really love the entire writeup and the Celestial Bureaucracy as being the most hands-on pantheon just by virtue of there being so loving many of them and their desire to keep the world ordered.

(Also, I approve of them being studiously silent on China v Taiwan.)

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

For anyone interested, I've turned the dicerolling part of Dicecord into a Discord chat bot. You can grab it here.

Does all the kinds of rolls you need as well as opt out flavour text when you get no successes or 5+ successes. The flavour text is generic by default but it can be themed to your gameline. So far all it does is mage but feel free to throw quip suggestions for other gamelines in the meantime!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Further Reading posted:

For anyone interested, I've turned the dicerolling part of Dicecord into a Discord chat bot. You can grab it here.

Does all the kinds of rolls you need as well as opt out flavour text when you get no successes or 5+ successes. The flavour text is generic by default but it can be themed to your gameline. So far all it does is mage but feel free to throw quip suggestions for other gamelines in the meantime!

Amazing. Werewolf next, in my selfish opinion.

Dec 26, 2012

Further Reading posted:

Very nice. Does this handle the various X-again/rote permutations?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

01011001 posted:

Very nice. Does this handle the various X-again/rote permutations?

Yup! Also handles chance die too.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Chronicles core book is on sale today. 10$ on drivethrurpg.

neaden fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 3, 2017

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
How to hide an angel in plain sight.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sweet Jesus it's an anti-AT field.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

I know what my next psychopomp's demonic form is going to look like. Thanks!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It looks like a Persona boss to me. Like Ameno-Sagiri's hyperactive cousin.

(It's fantastic.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Further Reading posted:

Why does this say "Diceroller bot made specifically for cwod ruleset"? Is it actually for oWoD or is it for nWoD 2e? Because last time you posted something I could have sworn it was for 2e.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Ozma?!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Yawgmoth posted:

Why does this say "Diceroller bot made specifically for cwod ruleset"? Is it actually for oWoD or is it for nWoD 2e? Because last time you posted something I could have sworn it was for 2e.

It is for the Chronicles of Darkness. I think the 'W' was on accident.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fittingly, this has been deleted. Looks like the God Machine someone doesn't want the truth to out. :v:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Archonex posted:

Fittingly, this has been deleted. Looks like the God Machine someone doesn't want the truth to out. :v:

I was wondering how all these big tech firms stay afloat without being profitable

turns out twitter is infrastructure...

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh, should be Cod for Chronicles of Darkness. I might just stick to nWoD 2e.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

So somebody a while ago posted that they were doing a Magical Academy, and I decided to steal that idea wholesale. Some key notes:

-Everyone has a Family Merit, from 0-3. Determines your pedigree and your expectations.
-The Central Mystery is that the Midwest United States are having what can only be called 'partial' Awakenings. Mages who awaken and don't seem to remember or otherwise have a tenuous grasp on their time in the Supernal, but aren't suffering from the same condition Banishers are. Partial Awakenings seem to be most common in late high school/early college age.
-The Academy [name pending] was set up by the Pentacle to educate these new Awakenings on their new life expected of them, with 'Houses' dedicated to the Diamond Orders (because Harry Potter is popular with this generation and the founders are leveraging that).

Some complications:

-The Free Council contributed, and has a presence in Club Activities and the Student Senate (opposed by the Student Council), but no formal House. This has made some faculty supportive of...subversive behavior.
-Students who have Partial Awakenings seem to draw large amounts of Supernatural Power, and many Students bring the Abyss along in their spells whether they intend to or not.
-The Seers of The Throne are infiltrating The Academy as hard as they loving can. This ranges from subtle tempting and propaganda, to outright enemy agents inserted among the staff and students.

More details will be posted if anyone in interested, but I have a small question:

How do the Faculty deal with the Abyss? Is there a way to purge or otherwise deal with Abyssal nonsense, perhaps with Prime? It would probably be difficult, but there are always more Arrows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Welp. Now I have to follow suit. It's just too good to pass up for my revealed future setting.