Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I'm doing ribs in the oven to finish on the grill and I want to do a dry rub, how do I cook them in the oven first? Do I do a dry rub, let it sit, then oil it and foil it loosely? Do I just dry rub and foil tight? What's the best method?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
personally I would dry-rub and foil them real tight. They'll steam in their own juices and get veeeery tender this way (do them low though, 325*F I'd say, and you can go lower). Then yeah, finish on the grill. Will you be painting them with some sauce of some kind?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I make fresh yoghurt in the Instant Pot, how long will that batch of yoghurt last in the fridge? There's no way I could eat the vast quantities of yoghurt produced in 3 days, but making less than a gallon at a time seems pointless for the amount of time required. Also, how soon after making a fresh batch of yoghurt would I have to use some of it as a starter for the next batch before I'm no longer able to use it as a starter?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

JawKnee posted:

personally I would dry-rub and foil them real tight. They'll steam in their own juices and get veeeery tender this way (do them low though, 325*F I'd say, and you can go lower). Then yeah, finish on the grill. Will you be painting them with some sauce of some kind?

I was planning on painting them on the grill.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Here's the sauce and rub I used on some smoked spare ribs and chicken last weekend: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/apricot-glazed-barbecue-pork-ribs-recipe.html

It's absolutely incredible and very easy to make. Probably the best sweet and spicy barbecue sauce I've ever had.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Suppose it fits for KC style.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 3, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Anyone have a good recipe for haddock loins on the grill? Normally I bake them (drizzled with olive oil, with boiled new potatoes with Zataran's extra spicy crab boil in the water). I'd like to grill them, and I have a stainless steel doohickey to grill them on. Haven't found a decent recipe though. TIA

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-wrong thread, asked in the baking thread, my bad-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 4, 2017

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Making some grilled chicken thighs and pasta salad for a picnic later. Any pro tips?

The pasta I have is fusilli, the children requested it, so anything that works particularly well with that would be appreciated.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Scientastic posted:

Making some grilled chicken thighs and pasta salad for a picnic later. Any pro tips?

The pasta I have is fusilli, the children requested it, so anything that works particularly well with that would be appreciated.

This recipe- http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/06/blistered-tomato-pasta-salad-basil-recipe.html - is really simple and a nice change from a mayo based pasta salad.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Loopoo posted:

If I make fresh yoghurt in the Instant Pot, how long will that batch of yoghurt last in the fridge? There's no way I could eat the vast quantities of yoghurt produced in 3 days, but making less than a gallon at a time seems pointless for the amount of time required. Also, how soon after making a fresh batch of yoghurt would I have to use some of it as a starter for the next batch before I'm no longer able to use it as a starter?

My wife is a food scientist who does R&D projects for and produces yogurt on industrial scales for a very large company here in the US.

Her advice is that if you are in a very clean kitchen and have sterile equipment and keep your ph correct, the product will keep indefinitely. However, because that's not super reasonable to expect in a home kitchen at your first go at it, but you take care to do your best, "probably 7-14 days or so", all dependent on cleanliness and the ph of the batch. Flavor wise, you'll start lose quality around the 10+ day mark.
Those were her answers given a 1 gallon batch size and the limited info in your post. Your millage can and will vary obviously.

edit: You can keep some around for a starter for the previously mentioned 7-14 days (basically as long as the original batch would have lasted for), but she really wanted me to stress that you need to keep poo poo clean, like, sterilize your storage containers and "don't serve this to people at the farmers market or something stupid". She's not a big fan of people making this in the home environment.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 4, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it possible to make chicken parmesan without a casserole dish? I really want chickparm, but I don't have a deep dish.

I might also make meatballs more cuz they're surprisingly easy to make. Don't require a lot of cleaning, either.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Make your cutlets separately (flatten, dredge, coat, and either bake or pan fry)
Place cutlets on foil lined cookie sheet.
Top with sauce that you've made separately in a different pot (or can, I dunno what you're angling for here).
Put some fresh basil on the sauce if available, top each with good handful of shredded cheese.
Finish under broiler.

? Unsure if that's what you're shooting for or not. There's a LOT of variations of that dish.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 4, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh. Huh. I was under the impression that chickparm necessitated a casserole. Fancy that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Oh. Huh. I was under the impression that chickparm necessitated a casserole. Fancy that.

Yeah, it doesn't. I prefer to fry the cutlets, then broil them with the cheese on top and then plate them with the sauce. That way you get more crispy crust on the cutlets, of course if you prefer the crust to be saturated with sauce you can do them that way, it's all valid.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

My wife is a food scientist who does R&D projects for and produces yogurt on industrial scales for a very large company here in the US.

Her advice is that if you are in a very clean kitchen and have sterile equipment and keep your ph correct, the product will keep indefinitely. However, because that's not super reasonable to expect in a home kitchen at your first go at it, but you take care to do your best, "probably 7-14 days or so", all dependent on cleanliness and the ph of the batch. Flavor wise, you'll start lose quality around the 10+ day mark.
Those were her answers given a 1 gallon batch size and the limited info in your post. Your millage can and will vary obviously.

edit: You can keep some around for a starter for the previously mentioned 7-14 days (basically as long as the original batch would have lasted for), but she really wanted me to stress that you need to keep poo poo clean, like, sterilize your storage containers and "don't serve this to people at the farmers market or something stupid". She's not a big fan of people making this in the home environment.

I really appreciate you going out of your way to ask your wife that, the woman has smarts. That's perfect, and I'll definitely do my best to make sure things are sterilized. I'll probably use the Instant Pot as an autoclave, I'll wrap aluminium foil around the yoghurt jar lid I'm gonna use to store the yoghurt so it stays sterile until I actually pour the yoghurt in. If I use a spoon I wash right before using (with hot water and soap) would that be clean enough to not transfer bacteria to the yoghurt and inadvertently into the sterile jar?

All this said and done, I might just be a lazy person and just make batches of yoghurt that I know I'll eat within the week so I don't die a horrible death. Yoghurt is pretty friendly when it comes to letting you know whether it's expired and unsafe to eat though, so I should be alright.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Me personally, for the short duration you intend to keep this? I'd say 'yeah sure'.

If you want to go all out, use a bleach solution to clean your counter top, soak your containers and utensils in the solution and air dry on the sanitized surface. Probably overkill for this, but hey, something to think about if you decide to get into it and make a lot.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

Me personally, for the short duration you intend to keep this? I'd say 'yeah sure'.

If you want to go all out, use a bleach solution to clean your counter top, soak your containers and utensils in the solution and air dry on the sanitized surface. Probably overkill for this, but hey, something to think about if you decide to get into it and make a lot.

I'd do it if it gets me another week out of the yoghurt. My biggest worry is once I start, I'll force myself to keep making new batches so I don't run out of starter, and I'll be drowning in the stuff and feeling really guilty if I don't finish it all.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I have a carton of eggs that isn't very old, maybe like a week i haven't verified the date, but the two times i have eaten from that batch (hard-boiled and fried) i have gotten diarrhea. could i have bought a bad batch? Should i throw them out? I don't want to waste but i also don't want diarrhea eggs. why are they bad?

I am very certain its the eggs and not anything else,

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

the two times i have eaten from that batch (hard-boiled and fried) i have gotten diarrhea.

Should i throw them out?

I [...] don't want diarrhea eggs.

I am very certain its the eggs

Uh...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Eggs are cheap enough to just toss 'em at the first suspicions. Throw them at your local yard-loitering no-good youths, buy more. 10 eggs are worth a lot less than a single session with the rear end volcano.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PRADA SLUT posted:

If I'm doing ribs in the oven to finish on the grill and I want to do a dry rub, how do I cook them in the oven first? Do I do a dry rub, let it sit, then oil it and foil it loosely? Do I just dry rub and foil tight? What's the best method?

You're going to want to have them in there at the very least 2-3 hours depending on what kind of ribs they are etc

I do closer to 250

I find you end up with them kind of greasy and sitting in their own juice if the foil is too tight.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
For ribs, do you guys make your own BBQ sauce? Or do you have a go-to brand to buy?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'll make some if I want to brag on it at some picnic/potluck/whatever but most of the time I buy. I only use it for ribs tbh, and even then it's thinned out and barely glazed on the rib for finishing, not super thick or whatever. Brisket dun need it :colbert:. Pulled pork I prefer a mustard vinegar sauce (literally just mustard, cider vinegar, touch of sugar to take the edge off the vinegar, salt, chili flakes). I buy bulls eye, mostly because of this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/taste-test-best-bottled-barbecue-sauce.html but again I'm not much of a sauce guy.

edit: xref with another list, bull's eye wins here, too https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bottled-bbq-sauce-sweet-baby-ray-s-stubb-s-kc-masterpiece-bull-s-eye
3rd place here http://www.thekitchn.com/the-bottled-bbq-sauce-taste-test-we-tried-7-brands-and-ranked-them-220654

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 5, 2017

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Cool, Bulls Eye is the one I get too. I made my own once to try and I came out pretty good, but it seemed like overkill. Good to know I'm not alone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i trust this guy for bbq sauce reviews

http://www.meatwave.com/reviews

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I was just surprised! Ive never had an issue with eggs before. i thought bad eggs like smelled or something?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You should alert the store or farm or whatever so they can take action if there is some sort of contamination.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

double checking the diarrhea was def two separate incidents with time in between so as to completely be the eggs and not sometihng you had before the first egg that caused a long bout of the runs coincidental with both egg incidents.

ASCII visual:
pre:
it is this:
egg 1                  other foods             egg 2
     Diarrhea ----->   normal poos -------------->   Diarrhea----->

not this: 
unknown initiator               egg 1                       egg 2
Diarrhea ---------------------------------------------------------->
edit:
also, only intersection of the two diarrhea causing meals was the eggs

i.e.

meal 1:
egg
other poo poo

meal 2
egg 2
different poo poo

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 5, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I made my own barbecue sauce last weekend and posted it quite recently, either here or in the smoking thread. It's a perfectly sweet and spicy apricot barbecue sauce, only takes about 10 minutes of active time to prepare, too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Were the yolks runny? That can cause issues even if hard-cooked eggs don't.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I was just surprised! Ive never had an issue with eggs before. i thought bad eggs like smelled or something?

Either the eggs have gone bad and they will start to smell real bad

Or it's salmonella and if you get that, it's not just one wet poop and it's ober.... It's weeks of misery.

So I don't think it was the eggs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Don't overfill a baking dish when making lasagna. Lasagna turned out perfect, but I've got burnt cheese and sauce all over the bottom of my oven which is gonna be an absolute nightmare to clean.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's everybody use for simple, easy weeknight dinner recipes? I'm looking at the Serious Eats Dinner Tonight listing but it's not always quite what I'd call simple and easy.

Loopoo posted:

Don't overfill a baking dish when making lasagna. Lasagna turned out perfect, but I've got burnt cheese and sauce all over the bottom of my oven which is gonna be an absolute nightmare to clean.

Can't you just set it to "clean"?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I left some chicken cutlets in a pickle juice brine and forgot about them. It's been a couple days. Is there any way to use them or are they chicken ceviche by now?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

I left some chicken cutlets in a pickle juice brine and forgot about them. It's been a couple days. Is there any way to use them or are they chicken ceviche by now?

They're chicken ceviche but go ahead and dredge em in flour and fry em up for chicken sandwiches, that's basically the chick fil a "secret."

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

They're chicken ceviche but go ahead and dredge em in flour and fry em up for chicken sandwiches, that's basically the chick fil a "secret."

Yeah that was my intent before I forgot about them. Didn't know if it was worth the effort to put up and then cleanup after a fry if the chicken is already cooked to hell by the acid.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Can I just cook salmon steaks like salmon filet? Last time I did filets (also the only time I've cooked salmon) I just pan fried them and made a honey & mustard glaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yeah that was my intent before I forgot about them. Didn't know if it was worth the effort to put up and then cleanup after a fry if the chicken is already cooked to hell by the acid.

You'd be able to tell the texture, give it a bend/twist and if it flakes like overcooked chicken then it's toast.