Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Nicely done.

I turned a competitive lap with my TC4 this weekend. Now.. I need to start doing that consistently.

I also found out that stock tamiya square pin tires have enough traction to wheelie my DT-02 on carpet.

And the M05 still prefers to spend it's time on it's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

If you're getting traction roll, the springs/shock oil might be too soft. Try hardening up both.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

the big problem is this black CRC carpet. It's like velcro. I mean "yey fast" but also "boo to sticky to be useful"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What tyres are you running on it at the moment?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You don't have too much traction until you traction roll on VTA tires.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm running the treaded radial tires that came with my Miata M-05.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You don't have too much traction until you traction roll on VTA tires.

.. I have done this with my TC4. If I sauce to the edges and give it five minutes to soak. The only reason it didn't happen sooner was I was running a 34 tooth pinion, and I didn't have enough speed to get it up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'd go for Ride carpet hard tyres on the front, and Team Powers 36s on the rear

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'll give that a swing.

Speaking of modifications. I got my 17.5 motor installed on the DT-02. It's a lot quieter. It's a bit faster. It's got even more torque. It'll genuinely wheelie on grass with only the slightest of backing up runs.

I... am a happy camper.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Losi Mini 8IGHT on MassDrop for $200. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/losi-mini-8ight-1-14th-scale-rtr-buggy

Seems like it comes with everything you need except a battery charger. Includes 4500Kv brushless (but no sensor) motor and a LiPo compatible ESC, but only includes a 1100mAh Ni-MH battery.

Seems to be right at that price point to introduce someone to the hobby with a good kit at a relatively low price.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Edit: My post has nothing to do with the previous one. :-) Though, if you're looking to get someone into the game cheap, look at the DT-03. There's a lot to be said about "big" for dealing with the real world.

On the "I'm not really a Tamiya fan" slant. But.. things kinda came together to say I needed to buy this. So here we go.

I purchased a tt02b MS. For $132, shipped.

I purchased a turnigy 13.5 turn blinky setup. For $70, shipped.

I purchased a set of J Concepts Bar Codes. For $7, shipped.

I purchased a Turnigy Metal Gear servo. For $14, shipped.

I purchased a Orange RX Receiver. For $12, shipped.

I purchased a Tamiya Blue Hard chassis. For $8, shipped.

I purchased a GPM motor mount. For $9, shipped.

I purchased 18 and 19 tooth pinions. For $6, shipped.

I purchased a Tamiya set of Metal Body Shocks. For $54 shipped.

And yesterday, between 3:15pm, and 12:10am, I turned that $312, plus half a can of spraypaint into a complete buggy. Well, not "Just I", a good friend of mine also bought all the same bits, and he built his at the same time.

A "big post" like the DT-02 post is coming. Suffice it to say the tt02b ms is a hell of a deal. They don't mention all the parts it comes with on tamiya's or any other website. So... Here's the full list: Fiberglass shock towers, 0.5deg metal rear hub carriers, metal and fiberglass battery strap with transponder mount, metal drive cups and dogbones, full bearings, 17 tooth pinion, full turnbuckle set, metal driveshaft and aluminum drive cups,

Oh, and to back up the "i'm not really a tamiya fan". I still own five Losi r/c cars in addition to the usual 1/10 stuff. :-) And if there were any other "decent" 4wd cars in that price range, I'd be on it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I found a picture.... Turns out it's a family photograph.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Welp, had to buy some parts for the CC01. Unfortunately, they're replacement factories and not upgrades. In the rear end, the teeth that mesh the long axle shaft and the diff together have all but completely stripped. That combined with an open front diff don't make for much motivation on less than ideal surfaces.

Bevel gear set and axle shaft set are on their way. Bit of a bummer, but that's the way she goes, I guess.

In other events, I had the in-laws over this past weekend and let the FIL drive the Bronco around a bit (axles were fine at the time). I'm thinking of picking him something up that he can go have fun with because he seemed to have a pretty good time slamming it around the back yard. I want to get something kind of entry-level hobby-grade but probably RTR rather than a kit. I saw that LaTrax (Traxxas) has an RTR Teton kit and thought that might be a good fit. Does anybody have any experience with that thing?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They do the CC-01 as an RTR, too, if he seemed to enjoy it, and that gives you parts compatibility for mods and spares.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I just bought a used tlr 22 3.0 setup to run 2wd buggy this summer.

Pretty pumped, I've always wanted to race but didn't have the funds til recently.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I also have my TC4's VTA setup. And i'm considering how to make it faster. It slows down drastically in corners, a combination of the single joint CVD's and front spool. I picked up a transponder, and I now have some real idea of the lap times i'm turning. "Fast guys" at my track, are turning mid to high 10's. My car, with my driving, is getting 12.9. I can "excuse" a few tenths to running a cheap battery, two generations old motor, and various other factors. While I need lots more practice, I believe practice isn't going to find two whole seconds.

The big step to going faster, is to gear the motor more steeply. But I appear to be losing a massive amount of speed in corners to drivetrain losses. Like, if a part of the course is twisty, I can depend on losses to keep my speed down. I have two projects to make my TC4 faster. First, are some DCV drive shafts up front. Second, is going to ditch the front spool for a ball diff. I just need to remember to put the DCV's on my next hobbyking order.

My M05 is becoming a money pit. However satisfying it may be. Getting a car with narrow track, and sticky tires to run well on carpet is a god-damned challenge. The recommended spring setup is hilariously stiff. So I now have white springs in back, and blue up front. And I have what amounts to a full v2 chassis on it. I'm just waiting for the setscrews to fit in the swingarms so I can set the droop.

I can't wait for my next visit to the track to see how the changes I made will do.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Check one more thing off the list of poo poo to buy. Still had some of that aluminum sheet left over so I cut out and bent up a skidplate for the rear diff.There's maybe a quarter inch or so between the diff and the plate so I may try to shorten those spacers up a bit and snug that up to get some of that ground clearance back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I also have my TC4's VTA setup.

The weird thing to me here is that spools are the hot ticket at my track. I don't think anyone runs a ball diff up front in any class.

Battery really doesn't matter that much on VTA because a 25.5 just won't draw that much from it. Check your drag brake settings perhaps?

Also, VTA tires are horribly inconsistent batch to batch.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Decided to get my Stampede back up and running. The bearings and spur gear were shot as well as a bunch of other little things that were held together with glue and wishful thinking. Got a new 2017 Raptor body while I was at it. Went with candy apple red paint. I think it turned out pretty bad rear end.

free website to upload photos

Some of the new front alloy parts. Shiny and blue.

free website to upload photos

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I've been thinking about getting a scaler. My stampede has speed and violence covered so I figure something a little more zen would be fun. I know the axial scx is popular but does anyone have an opinion about the Vatterra Ascender trucks? Like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/VATERRA-1972-Bronco-Ascender-Truck/dp/B013SVU6SI

They got that one at the local hobby shop. I love the body, and the mechanicals seem well made but I don't know anything about the reliability or aftermarket for them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I've been thinking about getting a scaler. My stampede has speed and violence covered so I figure something a little more zen would be fun. I know the axial scx is popular but does anyone have an opinion about the Vatterra Ascender trucks? Like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/VATERRA-1972-Bronco-Ascender-Truck/dp/B013SVU6SI

They got that one at the local hobby shop. I love the body, and the mechanicals seem well made but I don't know anything about the reliability or aftermarket for them.

I've got a couple of Vaterra's RC's (Twin Hammers and the Glamis Uno), and they've been really solid so far. I think the Ascender's been well-received. Less aftermarket stuff than there is for the Axial, but still a decent selection. And the body's awesome, so 100% go for it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Awesome. I'll probably be picking one up in the coming weeks.

I had the Stampede out for awhile today. I threw it in the trunk and went to my nephew's wedding reception. Everyone who came out for a cigarette or some fresh air wanted to have a turn with it. Even gramma beat on it for a minute and a good time was had by all. I love how people that only ever got to play with those crummy old radio shack buggies lose their poo poo when they pop a wheelie or catch some air with the stampede.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Awesome. I'll probably be picking one up in the coming weeks.

I had the Stampede out for awhile today. I threw it in the trunk and went to my nephew's wedding reception. Everyone who came out for a cigarette or some fresh air wanted to have a turn with it. Even gramma beat on it for a minute and a good time was had by all. I love how people that only ever got to play with those crummy old radio shack buggies lose their poo poo when they pop a wheelie or catch some air with the stampede.

Don't forget about the new scale truck that Traxxas should be rolling out soon. It looks like it has some really nice features: https://traxxas.com/news/new-product/trx-4

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I picked up my old disassembled Tamiya Hilux from my dad's place and decided to put it back together and see if I can get it to run. It's been sitting there for about 20+ years. I used to be pretty decent at racing when I was a teenager and did decently for a mostly adult hobby.

Im reading up on the RC scene now and it's pretty interesting. Traxxas seems to have taken over as the main brand. 20 years ago it was Associated vs Losi with Traxxas as an after thought. When I was racing my Tamiya, all I wanted was an Associated RC10T but couldn't afford one. Getting an Associated truck now is completely feasible except the local shops (two of them in Winnipeg) don't seem to carry Associated. I find it odd that they carry Traxxas though considering Best Buy also carries them. You would think the local shops wouldn't want to compete with their prices.

I plan on hitting up the shop that also has a race track (Eliminator RC) this weekend to get an idea of what the race scene is like now and then figure out if I want to commit to a new kit after that.

What are the racing scenes like in your areas?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Koth posted:

I plan on hitting up the shop that also has a race track (Eliminator RC) this weekend to get an idea of what the race scene is like now and then figure out if I want to commit to a new kit after that.

What are the racing scenes like in your areas?

E-RC is one of the best hobby shops in Canada, crud even one of the best in North America. Ryan is a stud, I've known him nearly a decade. They know their stuff and carry a ton of inventory. Ryan is prett AI too. He's got a G body, a mustang drag car that's nutty, a snowmobile that's overdone. Great place to have local

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

E-RC is one of the best hobby shops in Canada, crud even one of the best in North America. Ryan is a stud, I've known him nearly a decade. They know their stuff and carry a ton of inventory. Ryan is prett AI too. He's got a G body, a mustang drag car that's nutty, a snowmobile that's overdone. Great place to have local

Yeah, I'm sad I moved away from Brandon (2 hours west of the 'peg) before I got into RC. But eliminator is really highly regarded.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
^^ Cool, that's good to know. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

I completed the Tamiya Hilux rebuild last night. I was pleased to see I still had all the pieces, with a couple of minor exceptions. The 25 year old batteries seem to have lost some punch though, as the truck definitely lacked in power when I took it for a test drive. I'm wondering if that's because I only did a partial charge on the battery because it was late and I just wanted to see if it still actually worked.

I'll do a full charge this evening and see if that makes a difference.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The TRX-4 (new Traxxas scale crawler) is really good. Lots of great detail that is generally uncommon in Traxxas vehicles. Good design. Legendary Traxxas electronics. The remote lockers are completely unprecedented at this price point. And it performs quite well. If anyone is wanting to get started in scale crawling, this is the truck to have.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kuffs posted:

The TRX-4 (new Traxxas scale crawler) is really good. Lots of great detail that is generally uncommon in Traxxas vehicles. Good design. Legendary Traxxas electronics. The remote lockers are completely unprecedented at this price point. And it performs quite well. If anyone is wanting to get started in scale crawling, this is the truck to have.

Good to hear! That will probably be my next purchase. I think my LST brushless is a bit too much truck for me and I've never tried crawling before.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

We've been posting a lot about it on Big Squid. The TRX-4 is a freaking beast of a truck.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Riller posted:

Don't forget about the new scale truck that Traxxas should be rolling out soon. It looks like it has some really nice features: https://traxxas.com/news/new-product/trx-4

Oh holy poo poo, yes. Portal axles? That's bad rear end. It's a good thing I didn't drop the money on that other truck yet cause that Traxxas is definitely my style.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The size and weight can be drawbacks if you want something more SCX10-ish, but man does it have a lot of neat features.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Man, this video of a guy stress testing it on a trail is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63hF1F1fLo

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
So does RTR mean the car/truck comes fully assembled? I must admit, I don't like that at all. One most fun things about RC was the building!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Koth posted:

So does RTR mean the car/truck comes fully assembled? I must admit, I don't like that at all. One most fun things about RC was the building!

Yeah. Most kits come that way now. I agree about the building being very fun, though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

Man, this video of a guy stress testing it on a trail is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63hF1F1fLo

Medic (aka Aaron) is an awesome and cool dude and y'all should be subscribed to him. He does a ton of great video's.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Kibner posted:

Yeah. Most kits come that way now. I agree about the building being very fun, though.

Kits you ~want~ tend to come as kits though. :-) time to go a little off-topic.

A friend of mine watched my driving friend an I build a TC6.1. She got to build her own shock, and now wanted her own car to build. So we did some digging, decided on a Tamiya DT-03. After some clever internet work, we had a whole car, with support gear for $215 or so. Including paint. (That's radio, receiver, car, battery, charger, servo.) It could have been done cheaper if a chinesium radio was ok.

And in the end, it's a fine car, and she can say "I built it myself". Which has lead to phone calls of "Hey, I fixed X-Y and Z" instead of "How do I fix this?"

I've been sitting on a TT01 for almost a month now. The bearings showed up today. ... maybe i'll build that tonight.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'd like to get a RC car to play around with in my apartment and sidewalks; I'm currently leaning towards a RTR Kyosho Mini-Z. I'd like to have something I could 'build,' but when I'm looking at entry level kits + things you need to get running I'm looking at $300 when I'm trying to keep it under $200. Any other recommendations would be great to hear.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Koth posted:

I felt that way when I got the Stampede. With all the bashing I've put that thing through over the years I've had it apart many times over. I'm just as acquainted with it's innards as if I had assembled it initially.

I'm definitely gonna get that Traxxas crawler though. I've watched a bunch of videos and that thing looks like a blast. I can't wait to get one and beat on it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

kimcicle posted:

I'd like to get a RC car to play around with in my apartment and sidewalks; I'm currently leaning towards a RTR Kyosho Mini-Z. I'd like to have something I could 'build,' but when I'm looking at entry level kits + things you need to get running I'm looking at $300 when I'm trying to keep it under $200. Any other recommendations would be great to hear.

If you're not sure if you're gonna play with it much, check out one of these...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-a...fbQ3hoC6Zvw_wcB

I got one for the kid and honestly, it's tons of fun indoors. Outside it's pretty useless though. The advantages are, it's only $50, it recharges off the controller like one of those cheapo drones and it's pretty drat tough. Surprisingly quick and nimble for something so small too.

Setting up little ramps with books and cardboard is great fun. If you have pets it's also fun to torment them with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

kimcicle posted:

Mini-Z's dont' like sidewalks. The cracks are murder. As you scale down cars, you need to look more and more at off road cars. If they still made it, the ideal option would be the Losi Mini Stadium truck, or the Mini Rally car. There are some chinese clones in the $40-100 range that are worth looking at.

"indoor" and "outside" are very different enviroments for r/c cars. It's hard to bridge that gap.