Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Yeah for loving real. Driving it through the mountains around Denver, I had it flat on the floor, practically on the redline and it was still 5 under the speed lining and not accelerating going up hill. The best things I could say for it was the mpg was acceptable, the interior was comfortable ish, out side of that it was a miserable car. I had a Cherokee trail hawk last time I was in Denver. That was more fun. But the electric power steering would over heat and shut off if you put it in sport with TCS and started drifting it on dirt roads. The trans was loving awful still though. Also the trail hawks climate control and infotainment was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Christobevii3 posted:

Knowing chevy it probably adds chrome everywhere

:911:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sadi posted:

Yeah for loving real. Driving it through the mountains around Denver, I had it flat on the floor, practically on the redline and it was still 5 under the speed lining and not accelerating going up hill. The best things I could say for it was the mpg was acceptable, the interior was comfortable ish, out side of that it was a miserable car. I had a Cherokee trail hawk last time I was in Denver. That was more fun. But the electric power steering would over heat and shut off if you put it in sport with TCS and started drifting it on dirt roads. The trans was loving awful still though. Also the trail hawks climate control and infotainment was better.

I remember living in Colorado Springs as a kid and my friend's dad had a 4 cyl 4x4 nissan hardbody while mine had a 4.0L cherokee. It was just expected at altitude that the most that nissan could manage up vail pass was 45 flat out. The cherokee had no such problems.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

bull3964 posted:

So what is the current hot take on the Focus RS? Did they finally resolve the leaking transfer case issues? Anything else pop up?

It's getting really hard to resist trading in my '11 WRX on one and I'm hearing people are actually starting to be able to buy them around invoice.

Keep going back and forth on doing that or dumping a few grand into the WRX to make it less doughy and keep it for another 3 years it so until the next gen WRX is out. (assuming the next gen is worth buying.)

I would go for it just make sure you buy a 17, they seem to have sorted all the kinks out in the 17. Or try for a fancy LE if it's not much more money.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The transmission that Jeep puts in the Renegade is dire. I hated the Renegade I has a rental, and I went in really wanting to like it. It just hunts and hunts for the right gear when you make the slightest change to throttle input and never reacts smoothly or quickly to anything.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

big money big clit posted:

The transmission that Jeep puts in the Renegade is dire. I hated the Renegade I has a rental, and I went in really wanting to like it. It just hunts and hunts for the right gear when you make the slightest change to throttle input and never reacts smoothly or quickly to anything.

I've heard that 9-speed ZF transmission was a real pile of poo poo. If I was handed a Renegade for a rental, I'd probably ask for something....anything else.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Domestic Amuse posted:

I've heard that 9-speed ZF transmission was a real pile of poo poo. If I was handed a Renegade for a rental, I'd probably ask for something....anything else.

No, the transmission is largely sound, but FCA in their infinite wisdom not only license produce it themselves, but they also opted to do their own control module and programming. That is why it is such a heap of poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I keep hearing people say "oh, today's automatics are so much better than manuals!" but I have yet to see it actually be true outside of high-end cars (and even then, it's not a given).

Why are automatic transmissions still so poo poo in so many cars?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
On the other hand, I'm a big fan of well-executed DCTs.

The '17 Audi A4 has one :) the S4 weirdly gets an automatic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PT6A posted:

I keep hearing people say "oh, today's automatics are so much better than manuals!" but I have yet to see it actually be true outside of high-end cars (and even then, it's not a given).

Cost mostly.
The luxury 8-10 speeds get the proper amount of care and thought into their control modules, maybe some learning algorithms, taking load into account, more or less instantaneous shifts in semi auto, the nice stuff.
6 speeds get a fall through switch statement in a loop.

Good autos have been good since like 06

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 3, 2017

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Anecdotal obviously, but I am actually quite impressed with the Ford six speed that is in the 2015 Mustang and F150s. Once the factory programmed sport mode is engaged, it's 90% of how I would manually shift in both timing and speed. I think they're called the 6R80?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ford's transmission programming seems to be absolutely on point these days. I've driven a few of their cars with automatics (of different transmission types too) and I have to grudgingly admit they've done a good job in every case.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

MrChips posted:

No, the transmission is largely sound, but FCA in their infinite wisdom not only license produce it themselves, but they also opted to do their own control module and programming. That is why it is such a heap of poo poo.

Why do you think this is the case? It seems hated just as much in the Acuras and Land Rovers. I think it has more to do with the huge ratio spread making 9th almost useless and the two dog clutches that make certain shifts feel really bad. Do they not do the calibration for the 8 speed as well?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As I was puttering along on a ~350 mile highway jaunt today I was musing how much I'd love to be loping along in a V8 Lincoln sedan based on a stretched Mustang platform. I can't blame Ford/Lincoln for not bothering though. Such a car would be a complete sales failure in today's market.

Shame.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The 6 speed with the 1.4t was nice though.

One more reason to avoid automatics I guess.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mazda's autos are great too.

My mom is visiting from out of state and got a Kia Soul for a rental. I had to drive it quite a bit today and came away impressed. Drove nice, handled nice, and it could get out of its own way. Think it's kinda cool looking too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Michael Scott posted:

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of well-executed DCTs.

The '17 Audi A4 has one :) the S4 weirdly gets an automatic.

I don't think that's particularly weird - the VaG DSGs have always been about cost cutting so you wouldn't expect them to appear in the high end cars

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

dissss posted:

I don't think that's particularly weird - the VaG DSGs have always been about cost cutting so you wouldn't expect them to appear in the high end cars

The new RS3 has the 7 speed DCT. It's traditionally been reserved for sportier Audis. The official version is that it can't handle the torque of the new turbocharged engine in the S4/5.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

jfreder posted:

Why do you think this is the case? It seems hated just as much in the Acuras and Land Rovers. I think it has more to do with the huge ratio spread making 9th almost useless and the two dog clutches that make certain shifts feel really bad. Do they not do the calibration for the 8 speed as well?

I love the zf8 in BMWs. I know they are made by zf for BMW I didn't know who programs them but they are just solid and shift fast and like I'd want them to.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Sadi posted:

I love the zf8 in BMWs. I know they are made by zf for BMW I didn't know who programs them but they are just solid and shift fast and like I'd want them to.

That's the one auto I've driven that didn't really do anything to make me upset. Especially in sport mode, it's really a good transmission setup.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Wistful of Dollars posted:

As I was puttering along on a ~350 mile highway jaunt today I was musing how much I'd love to be loping along in a V8 Lincoln sedan based on a stretched Mustang platform. I can't blame Ford/Lincoln for not bothering though. Such a car would be a complete sales failure in today's market.

Shame.

I know the mustang sells plenty, but I am still honestly surprised Ford isn't using that platform for anything else, at least to lower development costs. Bring back the Falcon dammit!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shame.

Only if it's got a four barrel carb and dual exhaust. You know, with 4.11 gears you can really get lost.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

I know the mustang sells plenty, but I am still honestly surprised Ford isn't using that platform for anything else, at least to lower development costs. Bring back the Falcon dammit!

I bet there's a bunch of people at the company who would love to do just that, but even if the engineering were *relatively* easy it still costs money, plus the factory tooling, etc.

I can guess it just doesn't make business sense, even if people within the company would like to do it. :smith:

Cadillac has less excuses for not plopping an LS3 into the CTS. :v:

Deteriorata posted:

Only if it's got a four barrel carb and dual exhaust. You know, with 4.11 gears you can really get lost.

One step at a time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shame.

There's still the Charger and rhe Genesis I guess...

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cadillac has less excuses for not plopping an LS3 into the ATS. :v:

FTFY

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cadillac has less excuses for not plopping an LS3 into the CTS. :v:

As far as I can tell, the only reasons are trying to "modernize" their image and cargo culting German carmakers. "We need to show we are a modern car company and not the company known for hundreds of years for making big powerful v8 luxury cars, so we will deliberately not give consumers what they want except for the Escalade". Coincidentally their only successful product is the Escalade

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Deteriorata posted:

My main complaint about those cars is that the brakes are good, but the tires are just fair. It could have something to do with the way I'm driving them, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PT6A posted:

I'm pretty happy with the automatic in my xB, was pretty worried I would hate it but for the most part it's been great.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

As far as I can tell, the only reasons are trying to "modernize" their image and cargo culting German carmakers. "We need to show we are a modern car company and not the company known for hundreds of years for making big powerful v8 luxury cars, so we will deliberately not give consumers what they want except for the Escalade". Coincidentally their only successful product is the Escalade

Yep, and the Escalade is wildly successful as far as its contribution to GM's overall profit margins. Meanwhile the dealers around here have 1.5 year old ATSs advertised at $12K off a $40K MSRP

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Our cheapest car used to be called the CTS and came with a V6. Oh, let's make a new flagship range-topper sedan, give it boring styling that looks like the CTS, and we'll call it the CT6. It costs sixty thousand dollars. No V8.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Our cheapest car used to be called the CTS and came with a V6. Oh, let's make a new flagship range-topper sedan, give it boring styling that looks like the CTS, and we'll call it the CT6. It costs sixty thousand dollars. No V8.

What was that electric Volt with the Cadillac badge on it that they tried hocking for lots of money? ATS? I've seen a couple of them around town and while they look nice that was a classic GM move.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I mean yeah they could make a DOHC v8 again ala the northstar but thats too way too much r&d cost.

Now if the ZR1 is DOHC we might start to see it in cadillacs.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 4, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KakerMix posted:

What was that electric Volt with the Cadillac badge on it that they tried hocking for lots of money? ATS? I've seen a couple of them around town and while they look nice that was a classic GM move.

The ELR

It was basically a Volt coupe, and sold about as well as any other hybrid coupe

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I mean yeah they could make a DOHC v8 again ala the northstar but thats too way too much r&d cost.

Now if the ZR1 is DOHC we might start to see it in cadillacs.

The SBC is fine and plenty smooth for luxury duty imo

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Remember how the first generation CTS-V was stick only? And the second gen came with a stick option? Let's eliminate that for the 3rd gen and thus eliminate any repeat customers from previous generations who want to row gears.

Let's also continue with CUE. A system that is so lovely, there has never once been a favorable review in any magazine or article about Cadillac cars.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Franco Caution posted:

Remember how the first generation CTS-V was stick only? And the second gen came with a stick option? Let's eliminate that for the 3rd gen and thus eliminate any repeat customers from previous generations who want to row gears.

Let's also continue with CUE. A system that is so lovely, there has never once been a favorable review in any magazine or article about Cadillac cars.

CUE now has Apple Carplay and Android Auto so hopefully it will be fine now

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The new RS3 has the 7 speed DCT. It's traditionally been reserved for sportier Audis. The official version is that it can't handle the torque of the new turbocharged engine in the S4/5.
It's a few things. It was cheaper to use the ZF in the S4/5 that it was to redesign the DSG. Plus, the ZF is used in a bunch of other longitudinally engined Audis (including the RS6/7) so it simplifies their supply chain by only having 2 transmissions for longitudinally engined cars. Also the ZF has much better low speed characteristics than the DSG and it doesn't hang like the DSG did when you surprise it with an unexpected gear change.

The DSG in the A4 is a simplified design of the one in the old S4. It was redesigned to be much smoother and it is also cheaper as it was designed to handle less power.

Audi used a beefed up DSG that now has an extra gear (vs the old 6 speed unit) in the S/RS3 and TTS/RS because it was cheaper work with their in house design than to get ZF design a beefed up 9 speed unit for a small production run. The 9HP48 has a maximum torque rating of 354 lb ft which is what the RS3 and TTRS engine put out.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 4, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I won't be so optimistic as to think that plopping a V8 option into the CTS or CT6 would suddenly make them the hottest cars on the market, but it sure as hell wouldn't hurt.

The CTS and CT6 are rare cases of cars that literally need minimal engineering or R&D to use a V8.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The ELR

It was basically a Volt coupe, and sold about as well as any other hybrid coupe

I always called it the Cimarron II.

I wish Cadillac would stop chasing the German designers, I can understand it's their market segment, but they have one of the best V8 engines available to them that would compete brilliantly but they refuse to use it because "BMW doesn't use one so we won't either!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

So well known, in fact, that we still use the "It's the Cadillac of x" idiom to describe something that is the indisputable best in its class.