Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

I love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon:

I'd go to the Ant Festival, that sounds rad. :ohdear:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Latest Two Bulls:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Marty Two Bulls remains one of the very best.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Kill Six Billion Demons posted:

“YISUN was questioned once by their disciples at their speaking house. The questions were the following:

‘What is the ultimate reason for existence?’

To which YISUN replied, ‘Self-deception.’

‘How can a man live in perfect harmony?’

To which YISUN replied, ‘Non-existence.’

‘What is the ultimate result of all action?’

To which YISUN replied, ‘Futility.’

‘How best can we serve your will?’

To which YISUN replied, ‘Kindly ignore my first three answers.’ ”

-Spasm 8

Praise YISUN

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

There's a book series that involves a Muslim valkyrie as a prominent character. She thinks the Aesir and Vanir are clearly just aliens posing as gods. Heimdall agrees with her.

A muslim thinking that Odin is a false god might not be as shocking as you think it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alhazred posted:

A muslim thinking that Odin is a false god might not be as shocking as you think it is.

It's a funny juxtaposition you rarely see, though. She's an honest to goodness valkyrie who spends her nights bringing the souls of worthy dead warriors to Odin's hall to feast and battle until Ragnarok, and in the meantime does her prayers five times a day and has a chain mail headscarf.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

I like that Ortega is gesturing like "Hold on, don't go lumping me in with these assholes."

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

There's a book series that involves a Muslim valkyrie as a prominent character. She thinks the Aesir and Vanir are clearly just aliens posing as gods. Heimdall agrees with her.

Wouldn't Heimdall know whether he is an alien or not? Or isn't he counted among the gods in that one? And is the possibility of Allah being an alien posing as a god ever brought up?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kopijeger posted:

Wouldn't Heimdall know whether he is an alien or not? Or isn't he counted among the gods in that one? And is the possibility of Allah being an alien posing as a god ever brought up?

It's not brought up. Heimdall shrugs at Sam and says sure, they probably are aliens or djinn or some such, he doesn't buy the god notion and never wanted to be worshiped. Allah also being an alien or some such is never brought up, with just a joke that Thor challenged Jesus to an arm wrestling contest and never forgave him for declining.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

^^ E: The classic "I don't know, I just work here" defense.

Alhazred posted:

Is there a snippy "-ism" for the view yes, there's giant bearded dudes hurling lightning bolts at people but that they're not worth worshipping? Because that's fundamentally different from atheism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Triskelli posted:

Is there a snippy "-ism" for the view yes, there's giant bearded dudes hurling lightning bolts at people but that they're not worth worshipping? Because that's fundamentally different from atheism.

Is it? Atheists don't deny the existence of the universe and all the forces that set it in motion. They just don't think a divine being is behind it. Not believing that a being is a god, regardless of their abilities, doesn't seem that different.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sheep-dodger posted:

"joke"

how are you so mutherfucking dumb Tinsley? (Also: why does it say political science if it's about climate science?)

Because he believes that climate science is a Democratic political topic and thus must be opposed by conservatives. It's not 'real' science, just a political talking point; all the scientists are paid off, right?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
"Is there a God?" and "Is this being a God?" are two different questions. Hell, even Godhood has different meanings depending on the context. Thor and the Aesir definitely aren't gods in the way that Christianity or Islam use the word, and it's not incongruous for Thor not to believe in any kind of supreme divinity despite his own existence.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Triskelli posted:

^^ E: The classic "I don't know, I just work here" defense.

There's henotheism, the belief that multiple gods exist but only worshipping one. That's incompatible with Islam, though. Islam is very strictly monotheist.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pakled posted:

There's henotheism, the belief that multiple gods exist but only worshipping one. That's incompatible with Islam, though. Islam is very strictly monotheist.

Thank you. I've been trying to remember the word henotheism for a while.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Terry Pratchett posted:

“Another priest said,"Is it true you've said you'll believe in any god whose existence can be proved by logical debate?"

"Yes."

Vimes had a feeling about the immediate future and took a few steps away from Dorfl.

"But the gods plainly do exist," said a priest.

"It Is Not Evident."

A bolt of lightning lanced down through the clouds and hit Dorfl's helmet. There was a sheet of flame and then a trickling noise. Dorfl's molten armour formed puddles around his white-hot feet.

"I Don't Call That Much Of An Argument," said Dorfl calmly, from somewhere in the clouds of smoke.”

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

What I generally see with gun control is "this policy is good, and as a bonus it will make my political enemies poo poo themselves with rage and/or terror, which makes it even better".

I've also seen "this policy is bad, but at least it will gently caress over the people who voted for it more than it will me".

I don't think I've ever seen "this policy is good solely because my enemies dislike it" or "this policy is bad, but my enemies dislike it, which makes it actually good" from the left.

Yeah, the first two are what I'm talking about. My point was that it's more of a thing that spiteful, petty people do rather than only conservatives as the thread was saying. And goons tend to be very spiteful and petty.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

loquacius posted:

Stephen Collins is consistently the best :allears:

Yeah, it came up earlier -- it's worth remembering that IDF service is in fact mandatory for Israeli citizens, but that doesn't explain tweets

Also, you can refuse to do it. I would.

A choice to follow along with your country's murder-machine is still a choice.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jesus christ mike

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Make wheelbarrow red and say MAGA. Change Obama to Trump. Change Trump's speech bubble to suit.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

I applaud President Trump for withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord. It sends a clear message to doubters that he is indeed not in the pocket of the Illuminati like all of the presidents since Kennedy have been. As to be expected, the outcry was immediate and incredulous. He fielded criticism from Al Gore, the Pope, Lloyd Blankfein, Merkel and many others. Leonardo DiCaprio said, “Our planet was threatened by Trump’s careless decision.” Notice how he doesn’t use the word ‘Earth.’ Instead we're just another planet out there—such as Mars—and its ready to have our atmosphere ripped away. Hey Leo, stick to acting and sucking in millions of bucks so you can leave huge carbon footprints with your private jets. Your pompous fear-mongering and hyperbole aren't convincing.

The Paris Agreement would have put a big burden on the US. “This agreement is less about climate and more about other countries gaining a financial advantage over the United States,” said the president. It would have sent more jobs overseas, while hurting our economy. Shutting down greenhouse gasses while allowing them in China was a bad deal for our country. President Trump hates bad deals. He stands for our country first and foremost. He’s a patriot and nationalist, and that’s refreshing. Patriotism used to be equated with nationalism, but the globalist professors and the far left legacy media have trained people into thinking nationalism is evil. They equate nationalism as ‘nativism’ and hate. The left went so far as to call anyone who wanted to protect our borders as being ‘Nazis.’ This was part of their plan—change the language and brainwash people into supporting their objectives.

George Soros, who has spent what has been called a "staggering amount of money" to influence (hack) our elections in favor of his selections, also spent $30 million on Al Gore’s global warming programs, which aim to lobby carbon taxes to further impoverish and control U.S. citizens. It’s about more money going to the central bankers and global business interests at top of the pyramid. It’s about those at the very top conditioning minds so that they’ll readily accept global ‘governance,’ which means a one-world collectivist dictatorship run by slave masters. The end game for them is making everyone poor and dependent on government. This also means digital currency, mandatory vaccines and the further erosion of liberty. Eventually it means a culling of humanity.

If Obama, Soros, Merkel, the Rothschilds, Trudeau, Marcon are excited about the agreement, then we know from that alone that it must be rejected. We know scientists can cherry pick and distort data to promote the agenda as long as they are well-plied with Illuminati money. We know that Kissinger considers climate change to be the main pillar in erecting the New World Order. Trump just put a crack in that pillar.

The atheist Bill Maher sounds like fire and brimstone preacher when it comes to climate change. He displays a religious fervor when it comes to the topic. Those opposing his view are treated with contempt and ridicule. This method is used by the globalists to quell opposing opinions on the topic. Anyone questioning it gets called names. Scientists who question it lose their jobs and reputations.

Yes, the climate changes, but if the globalists really cared about ‘the planet,’ they’d be doing something about the most egregious danger out there today: Fukushima, which continues to destroy an entire ocean. We hear nothing about that from the illuminati, do we? Instead, Al Gore bangs on his desk in his seashore mansion and demands a $15 trillion carbon tax so he and his carbon control companies can get filthy rich.

The climate change narrative is being run by con artists such as Gore. They spew out the best distorted data money can buy. It’s bunk. There’s no reason we can’t have clean-burning coal and natural gas. Both are in copious supply. There’s no reason we can’t have industry and well-paying jobs returning to America. But as George Carlin once said, ‘The real owners don’t want that."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

If Obama, Soros, Merkel, the Rothschilds, Trudeau, Marcon are excited about the agreement, then we know from that alone that it must be rejected.

Good argument

e: This is what I was talking about before. If my enemies hate this thing, it's good; if they love it, it's bad, no further rationale needed!

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 3, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

vermont is tired off this poo poo and has seceded from the union

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Hmm, yes, drawing Trump as a natural disaster (also a tornado) sure puts him in a positive light.

And what did the polar bear do to anybody??

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The really awful thing to think about to me is that he has never and will never experience any consequences for anything, ever. The worst thing that might happen is he might not get reelected, and then he goes home to his millions and makes even more money.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

And what did the polar bear do to anybody??

living (albeit not for long) proof that climate change is currently destroying ecosystems, like, right now

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

The ones I was thinking were Gnosticism (the monotheistic god is evil and might not even be the creator god) and Deism (a god made the world but doesn't interfere with it).

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Weird how there was literally zero discussion of how the Paris accords were hurting our economy until Trump decided it was a good idea to leave it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
death heat of the universe when

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

why is that man scrubbing the floor with very small pastries

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

For those not in the know on this: Theresa May refused to participate in the Leaders Debate, sending Home Secretary Amber Rudd in her place. Rudd had to be pulled away from planning her father's funeral to do the job. May is a monster with no human empathy at all, but even by her standards it was a cruel, callous and cowardly decision.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I'm spiteful and petty enough to wish it were possible to duplicate Earth so as to put all the pollutionists like Garrison, Ramirez, and other worthless scumbags on one to live and die in their own filth, without it hurting innocent people.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm spiteful and petty enough to wish it were possible to duplicate Earth so as to put all the pollutionists like Garrison, Ramirez, and other worthless scumbags on one to live and die in their own filth, without it hurting innocent people.

I usually just wish on them an understanding of what they're wrong about, what the effects of their willful ignorance have been and the moral fortitude to be unable to bear the thought of not making things right.

I think yours is more likely to happen though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cat Mattress posted:

I would be content if they just stopped making terrible cartoons and celebrating the misery of the less fortunate.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alhazred posted:

It takes dedication to be an atheist when you're literally wielding the hammer of the gods.

In fairness, the gods he met were all idiots.

Garrison posted:

Yes, the climate changes, but if the globalists really cared about ‘the planet,’ they’d be doing something about the most egregious danger out there today: Fukushima, which continues to destroy an entire ocean. We hear nothing about that from the illuminati, do we? 
It's poo poo like this that reminds me that this idiot really is Dees level crazy, he's just also an irredeemable shithead as well.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
fucuckshima, more like

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

finally someone has the guts to call out the pope on his bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
also it's pretty cool how he just casually mentions the illiuminati in his explanation for the cartoon

• Locked thread