Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PureRok posted:

I still think the original Twin Peaks is a comedy. I know I spent most episodes laughing my rear end off. Even the new season I spend a lot of time laughing. :shrug:

Maybe I'm just insane.

It's definitely a comedy. I don't know that I'd say it's primarily a comedy but there are like a dozen characters that exist pretty much entirely for comedic effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The original run perfectly walks the line between horror and comedy, that's a huge reason why it's so good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Every scene with Dougie so far has been laugh out loud funny, but there's also a lot of really horrific stuff happening in the first few episodes too.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

eSporks posted:

Saw this on facebook, the warehouse box scene synced up with the purple room.

I'm not convinced there is any relevant connection there. I feel like its just people see what they want to see, but the 2 scenes do have eerily similar pacing.

For some reason it didn't occur to me until I watched this video that the twitching creature inside the box could be from the same place as the woman who has no eyes. They move very similarly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My friend pointed out earlier that the noises when the eyeless woman is warning Coop against the device are similar to the ones when the box creature is fuckin Sam and Tracey up.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Fados posted:

needs someone to put his shoes on

very glad his first words out of the Lodge weren't NEW SHOES

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Fados posted:

So now, 25 years later, he's reborn again, gets another chance at understanding this primordial evil. I think reborn really is the apt term, I now think that purple transition zone is some kind of womb, with "Mother's" door knocking it's beating irregular heart. He's then learning how to go to potty, needs someone to put his shoes on, and is learning how to speak through imitation.

I really kinda love this interpretation.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So my friend (who's somewhat of a Lynch skeptic) and myself started a podcast about the revival called PEAKED and I thought I'd whore it out in here. There's a lot of goofing and me explaining some of the references and such. It's on iTunes here and at http://www.hitwithwrench.com/podcasts/.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can confirm that seeing the new Mulholland Drive 4K restoration in a theater totally owns. Also it's a great idea to watch that movie again soon after you've seen it because then on your second viewing you can piece together the timeline much clearer after you find out what happens in the last act of your first viewing (seeing it a week and a half ago was not my first viewing but rather my first viewing in a really long time).

Escobarbarian posted:

So my friend (who's somewhat of a Lynch skeptic) and myself started a podcast about the revival called PEAKED and I thought I'd whore it out in here. There's a lot of goofing and me explaining some of the references and such. It's on iTunes here and at http://www.hitwithwrench.com/podcasts/.
Cool! I've been hoping to find a good podcast that talks about the new season as it airs, so I will definitely check this out :)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can confirm that seeing the new Mulholland Drive 4K restoration in a theater totally owns. Also it's a great idea to watch that movie again soon after you've seen it because then on your second viewing you can piece together the timeline much clearer after you find out what happens in the last act of your first viewing (seeing it a week and a half ago was not my first viewing but rather my first viewing in a really long time).
Cool! I've been hoping to find a good podcast that talks about the new season as it airs, so I will definitely check this out :)

Both FIRE TALK WITH ME and TWIN PEAKS REWATCH are now doing weekly episodes. Both are good for different reasons, but there's a lot of great discussion in TWIN PEAKS REWATCH over the last two episodes (They also discuss The Missing Pieces).

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Just on a side note I don't know how you guys can stand those podcasts, I mean, I could dig it if I had some horrible menial work I could mindlessly focus on while listening, but like I don't... I was watching a youtube video of a couple guys discussing episode 3, and like, one of them has his loving phone out and is checking whatever on it while either the other guy was talking and saynig nothing at the same time or while he was doing it. And it's just like, gently caress. It's aggravating enough to have people doing poo poo on their phones all the time around you in real life but I don't have the loving time for this podcast crap that's going over info I can suss out in a fraction of the time it takes these gently caress-ups to summarize the episode and then try winding their head around whether there might be some sort of metaphor in the episode :rolleyes: I'd post the rolling eyes emoticon vomiting up smaller rolling eyes emoticons, if I could.

Anyway, I dunno I just never seem to actually find any content worth truly consuming within a podcast, but then that hasn't always been the case so I shouldn't really be talking poo poo like this, I guess :(

Oh, about Mulholland Dr, I wasn't lucky enough to see it in a theater but I did watch it again. I was truly struck by just
how many
different types of "doppelgangers" there were even in each separate phase of the film, and then the amount just doubles when you compare the doppelgangers *between* the two phases.

One thing I noticed this time around, which I had never noticed before, is that "Camilla Rhodes" in the First Part is played by Melissa George, who also plays the blonde woman whom Camilla from the Second Part pointedly kisses at the humiliation party in front of Diane. I had just never made that connection before. And both time's she's a sort of doppelganger for Betty/Diane.

edit: Random aside: I was watching a video of Lynch naming his favorite filmmakers/films, and the ones he says off the top of his head (in about this order) were: Kubrick, whose films he says he can watch over and over and over and over and never get tired of - he did not name a particular film. Billy Wilder, particularly Sunset Boulevard (of course) which he also says he watches over and over again. Then he mentions Fellini (naturally) and - and I *love* him for this - he goes out of his way to mention Jacque Tati and his comedies and that is SO great and SOOO true!

I watched Tati in high school in my Film Club and it was really funny and subtle physical comedy that took its time, and I had never realized it before but it's such a dead ringer for the kind of physical comedy Lynch uses in his own films at times, especially in Twin Peaks.

The last director he mentioned was Hitchcock, singing out Rear Window, which is, well, logical. What's amazing is how when a filmmaker answers these questions honestly, you really can almost see, er, how Lynch slowly developed his own style almost *on top* of those influences - but it's really quite spot-on. Take some Kubrick and Hitchcock, add a dollop of Billy Wilder, a dash of Tati's physical comedy, and a decent amount of Fellini's often uncomfortable surrealism, and there you go.

I'm not saying this sums up Lynch, because if *anyone* is their own filmmaker it's probably Lynch. I think more people would "get" him if they actually watched Billy Wilder and Fellini, to be honest. I always loved Fellini's Satyricon in an odd way. It seemed quite Lynchian in how it often seemed purposefully opaque and making a point of the insignificance of the plot as merely an excuse to present something else entirely, an approach I've always kept in mind with Lynch. Like Fellini, Lynch always made a point of freeing his film from the constraints of traditional narrative.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 3, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The gently caress discussion videos are you watching where the hosts are checking their phones in the middle of it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm always a bit surprised that Luis Bunuel doesn't get more mention as an influence on Lynch. I feel like That Obscure Object of Desire, for instance, could absolutely be passed off as a David Lynch film.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm always a bit surprised that Luis Bunuel doesn't get more mention as an influence on Lynch. I feel like That Obscure Object of Desire, for instance, could absolutely be passed off as a David Lynch film.

i mean, you could keep going back to bergman and maya deren and fritz lang as well. i feel like every generation has a handful of great impressionist filmmakers and lynch is definitely among them.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

The gently caress discussion videos are you watching where the hosts are checking their phones in the middle of it

This was idle thumbs, which I've heard are supposed to be good and which was mentioned and recommended in this very thread! Maybe they were having an off day or something but that was the last straw, the goddamn phone-surfing. It wasn't even that he was checking his phone, he was on it for like a solid minute before I turned it off in disgust god knows how long he kept using it. Idle thumbs indeed. I'd have been totally fine with it if he was looking up something for the show or using it in any show-related capacity, by the way.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 3, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kaworu posted:

Just on a side note I don't know how you guys can stand those podcasts, I mean, I could dig it if I had some horrible menial work I could mindlessly focus on while listening, but like I don't... I was watching a youtube video of a couple guys discussing episode 3, and like, one of them has his loving phone out and is checking whatever on it while either the other guy was talking and saynig nothing at the same time or while he was doing it. And it's just like, gently caress. It's aggravating enough to have people doing poo poo on their phones all the time around you in real life but I don't have the loving time for this podcast crap that's going over info I can suss out in a fraction of the time it takes these gently caress-ups to summarize the episode and then try winding their head around whether there might be some sort of metaphor in the episode :rolleyes: I'd post the rolling eyes emoticon vomiting up smaller rolling eyes emoticons, if I could.

Anyway, I dunno I just never seem to actually find any content worth truly consuming within a podcast, but then that hasn't always been the case so I shouldn't really be talking poo poo like this, I guess :(
I just like hearing other people's thoughts/theories after I see a movie/TV show that's a real head trip, even if they don't necessarily align with my own :shobon: I want to know what everyone else gathered from it.

kaworu posted:

Oh, about Mulholland Dr, I wasn't lucky enough to see it in a theater but I did watch it again. I was truly struck by just
how many
different types of "doppelgangers" there were even in each separate phase of the film, and then the amount just doubles when you compare the doppelgangers *between* the two phases.

One thing I noticed this time around, which I had never noticed before, is that "Camilla Rhodes" in the First Part is played by Melissa George, who also plays the blonde woman whom Camilla from the Second Part pointedly kisses at the humiliation party in front of Diane. I had just never made that connection before. And both time's she's a sort of doppelganger for Betty/Diane.
Absolutely! Having just recently seen it and then coming back to it again, I was able to easily connect all the dots between the "dream place" and reality, and it's kind of hilarious and terrifying how Diane takes literally everyone from her reality and distorts them for her dream.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's basically a remake of Wizard of Oz.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

kaworu posted:

The problem with Youtube is that whenever anything new such as Twin Peaks or the Game of Thrones you know things with a cult following behind them you end up with some decent analytical and critical videos about such things but you end up with at least double of the amount of bandwagoners making videos when all they did was look up information on the shows in question from Wikipedia and related Wikia sites and then regurgitate the information on youtube hopefully in a script format.
Its just an attempt to lure in viewers for them sweet sweet adsense bucks, better to just make a quick buck regardless of the quality of your content than spend the time and energy trying to make something close to halfway decent.
Hey maybe if your are lucky you can record videos of yourself opening a lootcrate box or record a movie review of a film just released in your car with no editing because god knows all you wanna spend the limited time on this earth is listening to a sperg pontificate for a hour about utter bollocks.
God most of Youtube is garbage but the treasures found within shine so very brightly.

UnculturedSwine
Jul 7, 2006

Is there a good review or break down of Inland Empire similar to the hulk review of Mulholland Drive that was posted ITT earlier?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never read one and am not sure one is possible. But I'd definitely like to.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's about a woman in trouble.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My favorite one line teaser for a thing is what Pizzolatto said about True Detective season 2. It’s about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system", if only the season lived up to that glorious sentence.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i mean, you could keep going back to bergman and maya deren and fritz lang as well. i feel like every generation has a handful of great impressionist filmmakers and lynch is definitely among them.

True but I feel like Bunuel in particular has a very similar sensibility. Touches of humor that are very similar to Lynch, much moreso than Bergman, for instance. There's a scene about 12 minutes into That Obscure Object of Desire that was hilarious and completely took me by surprise at how unexpected it was. The movie also has the doppleganger motif. And thematically it's just such a strong, singular vision. Not that Bergman doesn't have that as well, but Bunuel seems almost a kindred spirit to David Lynch. Their voices are so complementary to each other, so of a particular type.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

kaworu posted:

This was idle thumbs, which I've heard are supposed to be good and which was mentioned and recommended in this very thread! Maybe they were having an off day or something but that was the last straw, the goddamn phone-surfing. It wasn't even that he was checking his phone, he was on it for like a solid minute before I turned it off in disgust god knows how long he kept using it. Idle thumbs indeed. I'd have been totally fine with it if he was looking up something for the show or using it in any show-related capacity, by the way.

maybe just listen to the podcast?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's definitely helpful to think about it more in terms of recurring themes (adultery, poverty/inequality, violence against women, the fear of spiritual emptiness and failure), but I've always taken it to be a kind of cinematic therapy session.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Fan podcasts are nearly universally insufferable due to the ever present feature of the hosts obnoxiously guffawing at their own 'jokes'.

Not that goon one, I'm sure that's a noble effort. I will listen to it later.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 3, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Where's a good place to get nice high-quality screencaps from the third season?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Late to the party on watching this, about halfway through ep 3 now.

Minor gripe but having grown up in South Dakota and now living in southern CA, it is super obvious it was filmed here and doesn't remotely resemble SD landscapes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Where's a good place to get nice high-quality screencaps from the third season?
Whatcha need? I've got a 4K monitor and I've been screencapping a bunch of stuff from Showtime Anytime on my PC.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Whatcha need? I've got a 4K monitor and I've been screencapping a bunch of stuff from Showtime Anytime on my PC.

Got any Evil Cooper Laptop screencaps?

Thanks in advance

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I wouldn't mind anything beautiful or backgroundsy but I'm specifically looking for images of Cooper as an amnesiac.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Got any Evil Cooper Laptop screencaps?

Thanks in advance
How's this? Not sure what that black pixel's about in the top-left corner, though. That only comes up when I fullscreen Showtime :wtc:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wouldn't mind anything beautiful or backgroundsy but I'm specifically looking for images of Cooper as an amnesiac.
Any scenes in particular?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

How's this? Not sure what that black pixel's about in the top-left corner, though. That only comes up when I fullscreen Showtime :wtc:

The left corner always has a tiny glitch on my Roku, too. No idea what's going on with it.

Could you screencap Leland telling Coop to find Laura for me?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The left corner always has a tiny glitch on my Roku, too. No idea what's going on with it.

Could you screencap Leland telling Coop to find Laura for me?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ray Wise owns.

Thank you.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

kaworu posted:

Dude, his episode notes are on his phone. He mentions it at one point. I prefer taking notes with a pen and paper (and the other guy did that), but I understand taking notes on the phone. He's looking at it so he can make sure they're ticking off talking points.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/nkTUlJq.gifv

I'll post clips but only clips i make thanks

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

moist turtleneck posted:

http://i.imgur.com/nkTUlJq.gifv

I'll post clips but only clips i make thanks
:lol:

Saw this one a little while ago:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Dude, his episode notes are on his phone. He mentions it at one point. I prefer taking notes with a pen and paper (and the other guy did that), but I understand taking notes on the phone. He's looking at it so he can make sure they're ticking off talking points.

Oh, is that seriously all? I do that. That's nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

kaworu posted:

Since you couldn't figure out what he was actually doing on his phone, you might need more help than you think.