Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Just wait until people realize they can literally just shoot you with any weapon and do damage.

wait a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The barrel displacement seems hosed. Like, I'm on board for what your sights show not being what you can shoot (IE if your barrel is still behind the doorway but your head isn't, you shoot the doorway), but it seems like it's way off. Multiple times I've had my barrel visibly over a crouch-wall and still hit my side of it, even when aiming level or slightly up. And it's not like it's hitting the top of the wall, it's hitting my side of it.

Also: Had a great time learning that YOU NEVER SPAWN ON A HELICOPTER. Either they drop you behind your initial spawn, meaning you'd save time and effort just choosing that spawn, or they're trolls who fly you out of bounds and just kill you that way.

Never. Spawn. On. A. Helicopter. Ever.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've had the opposite experience, I seem to get shot in the LZ about 1/4 of the time and the rest I get dropped off pretty close to an objective. Pretty rare that I get an incompetent pilot or a griefer since they usually get vote kicked pretty quickly.

Once I was flying a Loach and didn't even realize the commander spawned on me, I held him hostage until I realized he was trying to vote kick me as I was flying back to base for repair/rearm. Then he TK'd me and he was stuck there because he didn't know how to kill himself.

So yeah, Huey's are fine to spawn in, maybe not Loach's though, or at least one I'm flying.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 3, 2017

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Popete posted:

Yeah it's surprisingly easy to take down a chopper with just an AK. That's why you gotta be flying at full speed and make wide arching turns so you never slow down over the enemy.

I've managed to shoot a pilot in the air and watched it slam into the ground. It was a luck shot since I was shooting at the gunner and led the target too much. The crew survived and I managed to kill two before they mowed me down. I wish I got video of it since I'll likely never do it again.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Also the recon plane, I've single handedly shot down several with just my AK. It's a fun little minigame for when your idiot squad leaders don't build tunnels and you're forced to spawn at the back.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I've never played a Red Orchestra game. What distinguishes it from Battlefield?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Games of this are really hit and miss for me, so far! I do way better on the urban map than I do with the jungle. I feel like I don't have the eyes or the aim to get consistent kills.

How do I get good like the guys getting snap headshots on me while I miss my first shot?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

James The 1st posted:

I've never played a Red Orchestra game. What distinguishes it from Battlefield?
Pacing is much slower. Don't get me wrong, it gets just as hairy and explosive as it does in Battlefield, but you also have to be much more conservative with your assaults. I also find it much more immersive because of it. Pulling off a successful room clearing is very rewarding, as is getting the drop behind people. UI is much more restrictive too. You'll be having to check your map from time to time, as well as "inspect" your magazine to see how much ammo you have left. Most importantly, you'll have to roll your reticule over someone to check if they're friendly before you shoot, because 9/10 servers allow friendly fire. If I'm making it sound like ARMA 3 or SQUAD (or its predecessor, Project Reality), it really isn't. It's still much faster paced than those games. If you just wanna shoot some dudes and have fun, this game has the mechanics to allow that. But you will have to be more cognisant of your surroundings.

rincewind101 posted:

Games of this are really hit and miss for me, so far! I do way better on the urban map than I do with the jungle. I feel like I don't have the eyes or the aim to get consistent kills.

How do I get good like the guys getting snap headshots on me while I miss my first shot?
Same here. Games have gotten incredibly detailed nowadays, and I do like having my graphics options maxed, so having to pixel hunt in the jungle is definitely a thing in this game. I haven't really found a way to overcome it, other than fulfilling another niche on the map. When you're talking about snipers, are you also sniping too, or playing as a regular grunt? Someone will provide a much better answer to your question, but I've noticed my sniper frustration has gone way down when I actually decide to fire back with some controlled semi-auto bursts. I've gotten much more surprise headshots and kills from that, rather than surgically lining up a hit back. Worse case scenario, you still suppress them and their aim gets all wonky which puts you at an advantage.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 3, 2017

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
What servers do most of you play on? I've been jumping on the official servers for a bit and want to play with some people who can coordinate and not just randoms since my friends are assholes and don't want to buy the game.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Hamlet442 posted:

What servers do most of you play on? I've been jumping on the official servers for a bit and want to play with some people who can coordinate and not just randoms since my friends are assholes and don't want to buy the game.

There's a group on the mumble in the OP that's on an Tripwire Official server in Atlanta.

buglord posted:

When you're talking about snipers, are you also sniping too, or playing as a regular grunt?

A regular grunt. The situation I almost always end up in is:
1. See someone far away
2. Shoot at them and miss
3. Instantly get shot dead as I try and adjust aim

Maybe I need to try and use the steady aim more?
That said, I agree that bursts of semi-auto in the general vicinity of where you see muzzle smoke or whatever it is works surprisingly well. It seems like bullet penetration in this game is generous.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

rincewind101 posted:

A regular grunt. The situation I almost always end up in is:
1. See someone far away
2. Shoot at them and miss
3. Instantly get shot dead as I try and adjust aim

Maybe I need to try and use the steady aim more?
That said, I agree that bursts of semi-auto in the general vicinity of where you see muzzle smoke or whatever it is works surprisingly well. It seems like bullet penetration in this game is generous.

A lot of this comes down to positioning. Make sure you're not leaving a silhouette. It's better to be behind a rock along the front of a hill than behind a tree at the top.

Don't stand right in the windows. Stand to the side and look diagonally through. Slice the pie. Also, it's best to aim while your weapon is steadied against a wall it rock or whatever. Your aim is significantly better. You'll see an icon low-center when you're steadied.

If someone takes a shot at you and misses, they have a bead on you and we'll probably get you soon if not the next shot. Reposition and fire back from somewhere else.

Tall grass works surprisingly well for concealed advancement.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of foliage concealment, how does that work with graphics settings? Does cover/shadows work against someone who plays on minimal settings? I know of a few FPS games where people would tank their settings to score more kills.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

buglord posted:

Speaking of foliage concealment, how does that work with graphics settings? Does cover/shadows work against someone who plays on minimal settings? I know of a few FPS games where people would tank their settings to score more kills.

Purely annecdotal​, but I've never really had an issue when using grass or shadows for concealment.

I also did a search on their forums and couldn't find any complaints about "low-spec" cheating, so maybe the devs addressed in the development?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Velocity Raptor posted:

Purely annecdotal​, but I've never really had an issue when using grass or shadows for concealment.

I also did a search on their forums and couldn't find any complaints about "low-spec" cheating, so maybe the devs addressed in the development?

Even on the lowest settings most of the bushes and grass are still there. The best way to hide is don't give yourself a huge vantage point because that also increases the number of places they can shoot you from. Lay down behind a hill or bush and shoot to the sides, if you have to shoot to the front, make sure you don't poke all the way through like there should still be some grass on your screen, the more the better. Or wait for them to pass you and shoot them in the back, but make sure they are 30mish away when you kill them or they will come looking for you.

Honestly I don't like most of the American helmets because they are neon green and usually the first thing I notice about enemy soldiers, switch to the boonie hat or lowland camo helmet.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Getting team killed when playing as an American in the brightest camo as an African American and being told "sorry thought you were VC" wears thin, there is literally no way

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I never thought I'd get to relive the jank of games like Gothic 3, but here we are.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Burning napalm doesn't render as long as it does damage. That's kind of lovely.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Getting downed as a pilot is half the fun, it seems, since if you live you're usually behind enemy lines, so you're in a great position to run up behind people and go on a murder spree. I just got a hilarious number of pistol whip kills, including the guy who shot me down with the DshK and the enemy commander. This game seems to go from 'impossibly hard' to 'racking up insane kill streaks' very quickly and I love it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Which planes can you shoot down with the dshk?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Sometimes this happens

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
guys i know how to do commander now

that's about my average score now. to the point that i got kicked from a game because of it when i was around 90 kills on cuchi.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also: Had a great time learning that YOU NEVER SPAWN ON A HELICOPTER. Either they drop you behind your initial spawn, meaning you'd save time and effort just choosing that spawn, or they're trolls who fly you out of bounds and just kill you that way.

i've never been your pilot :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNRqFgzs_8

also, this video thankfully shows me that i need to adjust my recording volume for the new headset because god drat am i loud in it.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Well, I guess that takes care of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMP-jo6btjk

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

That was just a vampire turning into his bat form.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

automaticswim posted:

guys i know how to do commander now

that's about my average score now. to the point that i got kicked from a game because of it when i was around 90 kills on cuchi.

i've never been your pilot :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNRqFgzs_8

also, this video thankfully shows me that i need to adjust my recording volume for the new headset because god drat am i loud in it.

Lets not forget your sacrifice today. Of when you got auto-kicked for too many TKs despite leading the scoreboard as the commander, Gay "Punished" Satan.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

"Should I drop this napalm on our guys?"
"Yeah, do it!"
"Okay."

Edit: Oh yeah, Satan. I forgot you took my request to be landed on top of the radio tower seriously and then, for the most part, actually pulled it off. And then we successfully capped C!

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 4, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

bees everywhere posted:

Getting downed as a pilot is half the fun, it seems, since if you live you're usually behind enemy lines, so you're in a great position to run up behind people and go on a murder spree. I just got a hilarious number of pistol whip kills, including the guy who shot me down with the DshK and the enemy commander. This game seems to go from 'impossibly hard' to 'racking up insane kill streaks' very quickly and I love it.
Even on foot, staying behind when your team is falling back in a defensive scenario is fun. You get the "fall back" alert once in a while but you can stay really quiet by some bit of wall and spot and kill everyone who's rushing ahead.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The VC shotgun is crazy, I've been running around with the full length version and the half buckshot - half slugs ammo and it fucks up everyone/anyone you fire even halfway accurately at, my last match on the city map I ended up with just under 40 kills from shooting down alleys and coming around on guys and filling their backs full of buckshot.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Yardbomb posted:

The VC shotgun is crazy, I've been running around with the full length version and the half buckshot - half slugs ammo and it fucks up everyone/anyone you fire even halfway accurately at, my last match on the city map I ended up with just under 40 kills from shooting down alleys and coming around on guys and filling their backs full of buckshot.

Do you single fire or double fire the barrels?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Had a similar experience on Hue. I was VC in A and I watched some guy run behind the vehicle across the street. I pulled up my sights and readied to shoot him when he popped out. Instead, a massive spray of blood erupted from the backside of the vehicle. No idea what caused it, there was never and explosion. But it was amazing.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I made 2 gifs last night

This game sure has some interesting bugs
https://gfycat.com/ForcefulDimpledFrillneckedlizard

my first claymore kill was everything I ever wanted
https://gfycat.com/UnsungHandsomeJerboa

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Holy poo poo the barrel offset is bad. Laying prone on flat ground, shoot the ground. Shooting crouched over a stack of sandbags that are barely high enough to cover someone prone at someone standing, shoot the bags.

The spooky is also broken. I have run through the middle of fields without cover and never had it even shoot near me. Laying in complete cover inside a building where it can't even see me? Killed twice in an hour.

I'm very much enjoying the game and having a ton of fun, but the small technical issues like these and napalm not rendering after impact while still doing damage put some really big stumbling blocks in the way of that fun.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Is there a Steam group or something to organize games? Or should I just hop into mumble and go from there?

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Mega Comrade posted:

Do you single fire or double fire the barrels?

Single fire is more than enough for 70+ meter kills with buckshot in my experience. It's pretty loving fun.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Holy poo poo the barrel offset is bad. Laying prone on flat ground, shoot the ground. Shooting crouched over a stack of sandbags that are barely high enough to cover someone prone at someone standing, shoot the bags.

The spooky is also broken. I have run through the middle of fields without cover and never had it even shoot near me. Laying in complete cover inside a building where it can't even see me? Killed twice in an hour.

I'm very much enjoying the game and having a ton of fun, but the small technical issues like these and napalm not rendering after impact while still doing damage put some really big stumbling blocks in the way of that fun.

THIS. It's been driving me insane since beta how many times I'm very clearly looking over sandbags or a wall and my bullet hits the top of it. It's impossible to tell sometimes if my barrel is angled over it or not. I'll be shooting at someone who I can only see the very top of their head, and they're shooting at me, but the only way for me to not hit the thing in front of me is to stand up all the way and make myself a clear target. What the gently caress? This is a problem in almost every FPS, but it feels much more common in RS2.

It's like a puzzle on every map learning which spots you can safely hide behind and still shoot over, and which spots just don't work.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Someone please do an analysis of the AKs recoil patterns when spamming semi vs full auto, tia. It seems like spamming semi is just a fraction slower to mag dump but with far less vertical recoil in my idiot opinion.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

claymore never disapoints https://gfycat.com/ThirdEssentialApisdorsatalaboriosa

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Death by Chickens posted:

THIS. It's been driving me insane since beta how many times I'm very clearly looking over sandbags or a wall and my bullet hits the top of it. It's impossible to tell sometimes if my barrel is angled over it or not. I'll be shooting at someone who I can only see the very top of their head, and they're shooting at me, but the only way for me to not hit the thing in front of me is to stand up all the way and make myself a clear target. What the gently caress? This is a problem in almost every FPS, but it feels much more common in RS2.

It's like a puzzle on every map learning which spots you can safely hide behind and still shoot over, and which spots just don't work.

This is sometimes caused because the bullets come out of the end of the gun so don't actually match the iron sights. Moving closer to the thing your shooting over 'mostly' fixes it. It's an attempt to be realistic but you can see why most shooters just make the bullets come out of your eyes.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

This is sometimes caused because the bullets come out of the end of the gun so don't actually match the iron sights. Moving closer to the thing your shooting over 'mostly' fixes it. It's an attempt to be realistic but you can see why most shooters just make the bullets come out of your eyes.

I generally try to be as close to the cover as possible, but yeah it still often hits the lip of the sandbag or ground. I still haven't gotten a good feel for when I have a clear shot or not, which leads to a lot of standing up and getting killed immediately.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Do you have to trigger the claymore or will they go off on their own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

JFC posted:

Do you have to trigger the claymore or will they go off on their own?

trigger only.

• Locked thread