Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's actually funny how practical calling the cops is. When they show up they're behind a barricade and will open fire on Jason if he approaches - they can't kill him, but the volume of gunfire is too much for him to get close.

Pity they don't go full Jason Goes To Hell. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

It's a huge love letter to the films, and I adore how a lot of Jasons will "roleplay" and focus on doing scary movie poo poo rather than just murdering everyone at the first opportunity. It's also great seeing Counselors make the exact same movie mistakes. :allears:

I played it on launch day, and yeah, it's fantastic to play as either Jason or a counselor. As a counselor it's legit scary to suddenly hear the music score kick in to tell you Jason's nearby, and every time I'd try to hightail it to the nearest cabin or something, lock myself in, and then cower under a bed or in a closet or something, waiting for my inevitable gruesome murder. Once I thought I'd get clever and put a bear trap in front of the door that Jason was going to chase me through. But I put it too close to the door and couldn't get around him :argh:

Playing as Jason is fun for how insanely OP he is. I really need to see a round where the counselors kill Jason legitimately, so far I've only seen it done as a cooperative how-to demonstration. Speaking of, I also love how they have like 5 or 6 different Jasons, each with their own stats and abilities. It really is a great fun game.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jun 2, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They eventually added an ability (Stalk) for Jason to where he can kind of sneak and it hides the music cue so you can still surprise people who think they're safe and comfortable because they're used to listening for the music.

Game needs a serious cleanup pass but it's legit fun as hell.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ohhh so THAT'S what Stalk does! :doh: I could never figure it out so I never bothered with it. I never had any trouble catching and killing the counselors without it anyway.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I remember hearing that the game wasn't going to ship with singleplayer, so I shelved my massive, massive Jason hype. Is that true, or just some old news/bullshit?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ShootaBoy posted:

I remember hearing that the game wasn't going to ship with singleplayer, so I shelved my massive, massive Jason hype. Is that true, or just some old news/bullshit?

It's true, it's an asymmetrical multiplayer game so one person plays as Jason while seven other people (Eight if someone uses the radio, then a dead/escaped player comes back as Tommy Jarvis) try to escape through various means. It's crazy fun though I really recommend it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ShootaBoy posted:

They're patching in single player in the summer. It actually didn't even reach that stretch goal in the kickstarter but I guess the game being a massive success made them decide to pull the trigger on it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Testekill posted:

They're patching in single player in the summer. It actually didn't even reach that stretch goal in the kickstarter but I guess the game being a massive success made them decide to pull the trigger on it.

With the game being hot as poo poo on Twitch and Youtube they're smart to seize the opportunity.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
DOOM 2016 has really old-school ways of solving mechanical problems. The fight against the Cyberdemon involves an arena change, which you can reasonably do in a few different ways in modern games... but Doom does the old-school method of just having the arenas as different parts of the same map. And they don't even hide it, those arenas are blatantly visible all throughout the level leading up to it despite the fact they aren't 'part' of the level geographically.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally gotten around to playing Dreamfall: Chapters, and I love the way your choices actually matter. There's a few big MAKE YOUR CHOICE NOW moments in each Book, but there's also dozens of minor decisions that can have all sorts of unforeseen consequences. I've only finished the first two Books so far and leaving the Warden alive's given the General a witness. Even just choosing Reza's lunch for him has had multiple unforeseen... SAUSEQUENCES! Whenever you do something that will shift future results, the game also just has a little exclamation mark icon in the corner rather than "X WILL REMEMBER THIS", so you'll never really know just what you've changed until it comes back on you.

I also really like how each Book has been capped off with a little summary of "You made this choice, and you'll find out the result of your actions very soon/next Book".

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I played some Red Faction tonight and goddamn, is the shotgun satisfying. It's got a heavy blast to it and, more often than not, blasts enemies back a few feet. All the weapons have some sort of alt-fire; the shotgun's regular is a two shell blast, and the alt-fire is loving full-auto mayhem.

I also think the soundtrack is cool.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Just got my hands on Breath of the Wild so get ready for the occasional update on that poo poo.

Someone in here mentioned a while back that there's a Gerudo town early in the game that has the eye symbol on its gate, with an arrow sticking out of it. The joke being that's the symbol that was used for arrow-based switches in the 3D Zelda dungeons.

What they didn't mention is that those arrows missed the target, and you get a korok seed for making the shot properly.

I'm really enjoying the korok seed stuff, actually- so far I've had to chase a teleporting flower, take out a couple of shooting galleries, swish a boulder toss, drop an apple in a bowl, and make a couple of stone piles match, among other things. It feels like I'm exercising my 'pay attention to the world' skill in a way that I haven't had to in Zelda for a long-rear end time.

Also whoever designed the horse taming system knows exactly how to do gamefeel. Horse is frustrated? It'll make noises and resist your commands. Soothe it, bam, particle burst, horse does what you say as soon as you finish.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The giant monster gorillas in Metro 2033 are awesome. If you attack them (which you instinctively will because every other mutant in the game is hellbent on murder) they're gigantic angry bullet sponges that can kill you in a couple of hits. But if you just stare right in their eyes, stand your ground and don't turn your back, they'll walk away and leave you unharmed.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Jun 3, 2017

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Yesterday, a friend came over so I was showing him BotW. I've never found a real use for attaching things to an octorok balloon but it's cute so I demonstrated with a melon and used a korok leaf to send it floating out into the countryside. When the balloon popped our aerial melon fell pretty far and rolled off, so we decided to go search for it - only to find that a bokoblin had got there first and was eating it :argh: . We killed him to try and defend our precious melonfriend but it was too late. RIP brave flying melon.

I love this game.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Jun 3, 2017

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Catwoman's move list in Injustice 2 they labeled 'Cancel" as "Cat-cell".

You
Oct 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finally gotten around to playing Dreamfall: Chapters, and I love the way your choices actually matter. There's a few big MAKE YOUR CHOICE NOW moments in each Book, but there's also dozens of minor decisions that can have all sorts of unforeseen consequences. I've only finished the first two Books so far and leaving the Warden alive's given the General a witness. Even just choosing Reza's lunch for him has had multiple unforeseen... SAUSEQUENCES! Whenever you do something that will shift future results, the game also just has a little exclamation mark icon in the corner rather than "X WILL REMEMBER THIS", so you'll never really know just what you've changed until it comes back on you.

I also really like how each Book has been capped off with a little summary of "You made this choice, and you'll find out the result of your actions very soon/next Book".

I didn't even know this existed! Thanks for helping me spend money and time, I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You posted:

I didn't even know this existed! Thanks for helping me spend money and time, I guess.

Have you played The Longest Journey and Dreamfall? Play those first if not.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you played The Longest Journey and Dreamfall? Play those first if not.

How's the adventure game stuff in chapters compared to dreamfall? I liked it back in the day but it tried to do combat and stealth sections that weren't good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Action Tortoise posted:

How's the adventure game stuff in chapters compared to dreamfall? I liked it back in the day but it tried to do combat and stealth sections that weren't good.

Oh, faaaar and away better. There is no combat, and while there is a rare bit of stealthing around guards to solve a puzzle or two, the only penalty is a "HEY WHO'S THERE" and a flash back to about ten paces from where you were caught.

My only actual complaint with Chapters is it doesn't have the Focus mode that Dreamfall had, which made searching through rooms for interactive objects much easier.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The giant monster gorillas in Metro 2033 are awesome. If you attack them (which you instinctively will because every other mutant in the game is hellbent on murder) they're gigantic angry bullet sponges that can kill you in a couple of hits. But if you just stare right in their eyes, stand your ground and don't turn your back, they'll walk away and leave you unharmed.

Funny because thats the fast track to getting smacked around like a ragdoll by an actual gorilla.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On GTA V, the way they handle police chases is generally quite good- you really have to find some side street or alley where they won't look for you, and fortunately in not-LA there are a lot of those- but if your wanted rating is 3 or higher the Tangerine Dream music kicks in, and there's a really satisfying final swell if you do evade. Getting them to work on the soundtrack was an inspired move.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

if you listen to your buddies' chatter before you get into the library they talk about never taking your eyes off a librarian.

i thought it was flavor text until i saw someone go through that segment without firing a bullet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Starting a replay of Tony Hawk's American Wasteland as I never was able to beat it before due to the controller being tricky to use on diagonals and the d-pad being too spongy to really balance with. Something I like about it is that a) building the skatepark by literally tearing the city apart to steal bits of it is pretty epic in scope, and satisfying to watch them get incorporated into the park, but I also like the cash missions as they give you a good chance to practice the mechanics that you would be having trouble with. It seems very newcomer friendly because of that, at least at first.

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Starting a replay of Tony Hawk's American Wasteland as I never was able to beat it before due to the controller being tricky to use on diagonals and the d-pad being too spongy to really balance with. Something I like about it is that a) building the skatepark by literally tearing the city apart to steal bits of it is pretty epic in scope, and satisfying to watch them get incorporated into the park, but I also like the cash missions as they give you a good chance to practice the mechanics that you would be having trouble with. It seems very newcomer friendly because of that, at least at first.

That game has easily the best soundtrack of all the Tony Hawk games, too, debate your mom.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
In What Remains of Edith Finch, you play the titular character as she explores her childhood home, piecing together the stories of the family members that came before her. Since the family was largely eccentrics and obsessives with a tendency to die at a young age, each of the rooms you get a peek at through the peephole at the early game showed each room as heavily themed after what that family member was obsessed with, such as astronauts, soldiers, the ocean, etc. When you explore the shared areas of the house at the start, you might notice that for all these distinctive rooms, there's a common theme on the front of the doors with each family member's nameplate where they're represented by a bird.

Because.

You see.

They're finches.

:buddy:

And because grandma was a bird-loving artist who had free reign of the house to herself for a couple years after the rooms had been sealed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Funny because thats the fast track to getting smacked around like a ragdoll by an actual gorilla.

Well, real gorillas don't slam their fist into your voice box and make you corpse regurgitate random phrases and words in an attempt to lure further victims closer.

The Metro books were pretty hosed up.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I just unlocked Blast Processing Armor for Braniac in Injustice 2. :cool:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just unlocked Blast Processing Armor for Braniac in Injustice 2. :cool:

Do you play as Brainiac, the city stealer, or Brainiac, hero from the future?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Do you play as Brainiac, the city stealer, or Brainiac, hero from the future?

Canonically: You are Braniac from the future disguised as Braniac-city stealer from the past to help beat Braniac-city stealer from the past.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I just let them walk up to me and shot them in the head with the volt driver. One shot kill something something zookeeper simulator

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Canonically: You are Braniac from the future disguised as Braniac-city stealer from the past to help beat Braniac-city stealer from the past.

I hate Mortal Kombat games mechanically, but I have always loved their penchant for world-building and attempts at complex plotlines...at least compared to other fighting game series. :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I hate Mortal Kombat games mechanically, but I have always loved their penchant for world-building and attempts at complex plotlines...at least compared to other fighting game series. :allears:

The story modes for 9 and X were really pretty fantastic b-movie type deals.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I love that the sidequests in Breath of the Wild are basically valueless. There's little mechanical point to doing them. But the characters sell the "this will make me feel better" angle so strongly that I want to help them almost for its own sake. Like the kid in Kakariko Village who wants to play tag and gives you a lump of rock salt if you catch them.

E: For those who don't follow, rock salt is a raw material you can get basically for free while travelling, and the kid gives you a single lump of it; most of the freebies that give you rock salt also drop an ore.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Jun 5, 2017

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I recently beat DX: Mankind Divided, and I love all the little design and architectural details that go into everything. The game is full of visual details that have no reason to be there except look cool.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hobo By Design posted:

I recently beat DX: Mankind Divided, and I love all the little design and architectural details that go into everything. The game is full of visual details that have no reason to be there except look cool.

A lot of times when you see something like this in a game it's a real thing that someone on the art team copied because they thought it looked cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann posted:

A lot of times when you see something like this in a game it's a real thing that someone on the art team copied because they thought it looked cool.

Sometimes they want to do this but can't get permission, like how the Chicago park sculpture appeared in Watchdogs as glowing blue donut instead of a reflective blob.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have give props to Yakuza 5 for going so far as to let you play as teenage-girl singer who overcomes adversity by singing and dancing, while the four other characters you play are burly dudes who overcome adversity by breaking guys' skulls against a wall. She gets her own combat-system and skill-tree, and the goal is to out-perform your opponent instead of giving them a concussion.

Yakuza 5 can be slow, patched-together, and boring at parts, but it works because it's sincere in it's convictions. There's no empty, cynical, commentary like the last GTA. It really is about people trying to better themselves in spite of the fact they can't walk five feet down the street without assaulting someone. It's like Airplane, where every situation, no matter how bizarre, is given a straight reaction, there's no wallowing in "Irony" or "Sarcasm".

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Sometimes they want to do this but can't get permission, like how the Chicago park sculpture appeared in Watchdogs as glowing blue donut instead of a reflective blob.

Why would they need permission to do that? It's a public structure. How is it any different than copying the John Hancock building or the Statue of Liberty? Is it because it's art?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been playing Prey, and I admit I appreciate the System Shock references like a video technology called Looking Glass, and the main elevator being stuck at the Arboretum level (was Hydroponics in SS2).

Great game overall, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I have give props to Yakuza 5 for going so far as to let you play as teenage-girl singer who overcomes adversity by singing and dancing, while the four other characters you play are burly dudes who overcome adversity by breaking guys' skulls against a wall. She gets her own combat-system and skill-tree, and the goal is to out-perform your opponent instead of giving them a concussion.

Yakuza 5 can be slow, patched-together, and boring at parts, but it works because it's sincere in it's convictions. There's no empty, cynical, commentary like the last GTA. It really is about people trying to better themselves in spite of the fact they can't walk five feet down the street without assaulting someone. It's like Airplane, where every situation, no matter how bizarre, is given a straight reaction, there's no wallowing in "Irony" or "Sarcasm".

Yakuza's greatest strength is knowing it's dumb as gently caress but never lets that bleed into its player characters. Your dudes play everything straight even when it's a guy in his underwear gyrating in front of you.