Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Guy Mann posted:

Say what you will about Kingdom Hearts, the final battle in two was amazingly nutso in the best possible way. Like, you fight an entire living city/spaceship with some shmup sequences to break up the final boss' zillion different forms/costume changes and then at the end you have to deflect ten thousand lasers to survive. It takes a half hour to play through even if you're fully prepared and you're basically breaking the controller by the end of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vocDalCY8c

Bosses where you fight a boss the same size as you > bosses where you fight a giant thing, but using all of the game's normal combat mechanics > bossfights made up of different game mechanics and QTEs

The Xemnas boss fight has... all of those things, so it has its ups and downs. KH's human-sized bosses are best, though - KH2 is not as good as KH1 overall, but the fights against the organisation members are a lot more fun than most of KH1's bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
surely the people who make Java are triollionaires by now, you'd think they could update their installer from the one they've been using since literally before this millennium

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pollyanna posted:

Does Mario and Luigi Dream Team ever get more interesting? Cause I just hit the desert area and I'm really not feeling this game.

gently caress, I still didn't finish Paper Jam.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

All fighting games are incredibly bad at showing players what's actually important in the tutorials.

Guilty Gear's is good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Guilty Gear's is good.

It's

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Does Mario and Luigi Dream Team ever get more interesting? Cause I just hit the desert area and I'm really not feeling this game.

Hah, I started playing this a couple days ago and also just made it to the desert and was also wondering that, so that's a shame.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov1kjVvYpWk&t=8s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvISifSH5e4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Red Bones posted:

Bosses where you fight a boss the same size as you > bosses where you fight a giant thing, but using all of the game's normal combat mechanics > bossfights made up of different game mechanics and QTEs

Yeah I have this rule of thumb that if a game has to show tutorial prompts in the endgame, it has hosed up somewhere

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think fighting giant things is fun in some games. Like Contra.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Paper Jam was real fun. Not a perfect game but a worthy entry into the franchise.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was thinking about .hack yesterday, specifically the weird bootleg server in it called Net Slum. The server had rogue AI, hackers and weirdos as everyday members, if I remember correctly.

Would Second Life qualify as a real life analogue to Net Slum? Cause man, it's easily as weird.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was Net Slum full of furries and flying penises?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

haveblue posted:

I always got the sense that it wasn't....not filled with em.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

haveblue posted:

It definitely had furries

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man i really would like a remake of the .hack games, at least the first four. i really enjoyed them and there's very little gameplay-wise to fix. they could even add on online component similar to Journey where you would never know if that random NPC you see is another player or a fake player and that would be cool imo

i volunteered to work tonight, even though my body feels like sylvester stallone's face looks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

.hack has no chance of coming back as long as Sword Art Online exists and does better sales-wise than anything in .hack ever did.

At least I'm assuming it does considering the waifu poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i actually thuought Sword Art Online was actually an MMO and not a "Fake MMO" like .hack :monocle:

poo poo now i have to play it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought Sword Art Online was an anime?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I believe the anime about the fake mmo came first, then they made a bad game about the bad anime. All I really know about it is the main character really wants to gently caress his sister.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pollyanna posted:

it's an anime that inspired the book that may well inspire the video game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I believe the anime about the fake mmo came first, then they made a bad game about the bad anime. All I really know about it is the main character really wants to gently caress his sister.

I think, to give it an extremely tiny amount of credit, the main character does not want to gently caress his sister, she just wants to gently caress him despite him having an actual non-relation girlfriend.

Admittedly my knowledge of this comes entirely from third-hand knowledge so maybe he does.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

That's not even nearly true

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I think, to give it an extremely tiny amount of credit, the main character does not want to gently caress his sister, she just wants to gently caress him despite him having an actual non-relation girlfriend.

Admittedly my knowledge of this comes entirely from third-hand knowledge so maybe he does.

I'm pretty sure that's worse.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure that's worse.

It's OK, she's just his adopted sister. She's actually just his first cousin.

gently caress anime, is what I'm saying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Preaching to the choir.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
OH BOY, ANOTHER ANIME ARGUMENT

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

What happens is that they're both playing the same MMO without realizing it, and end up partying with each other in the game without realizing who the other is. She ends up with a crush on him until she realizes he's her stepbrother, and both are freaked out afterwards.

If I were to be extremely generous I'd say its a comment on internet anonymity and the dangers of it- the sister character is even set up as a foil to the heroine of the first arc who is noted as being unusual in actually using her real name in an online game. Even with that all in mind I don't think its executed well at all.

Like its basically a bad riff on the movie The Shop Around the Corner.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 3, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Anime... is good

Except... when it isn't

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ciaphas posted:

Anime... is good

Except... when it isn't

:same:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

anime

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just...I just wanted to talk about .hack

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

I just...I just wanted to talk about .hack
.hack is good. I liked how the characters in the game would actually throw out a stock "Thanks" and such any time you used an item to heal them or whatever.

Like it wasn't extensive but it was nice for an early PS2 game. That kind of thing would have helped FF12 a bit I feel.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Anyway there's a neo nazi demonstration going on in my small very liberal city and its more like a zoo, with them being cordoned off by the police, bless this country

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Please do not feed the nazis

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Raxivace posted:

.hack is good. I liked how the characters in the game would actually throw out a stock "Thanks" and such any time you used an item to heal them or whatever.

And sometimes this would hilariously backfire, like how one of the characters leaves for a game or two and comes back still stocked with all the earlygame healing items you gave them, so when they get hurt lategame they use a ton of low-tier healing items and that prompt (voice clip? it's been a while) would show a billion times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

Anyway there's a neo nazi demonstration going on in my small very liberal city and its more like a zoo, with them being cordoned off by the police, bless this country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukFAvYP3UU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't get it. What's your problem with Talonflame?

• Locked thread