Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

I couldn't figure out the routing thing, even if I routed something away from something that had a lot of orange it would keep creeping up, it sort of only seemed to stop if I was routing nothing to that column
It seems like maybe there's a little inertia to it, sometimes it seems to continue building up for a little bit even after you take power away. But basically the way it works is that any power conduit (or whatever its called) that's running above normal output (green arrow) builds meter, and any conduit running at or below normal output (red arrow) drains it. How much its being increased or decreased by vs its normal level probably also has an effect, not totally sure though. To prevent things from blowing up you want to try to reduce power below normal through your hot conduits, rerouting is cumulative up each system so you can route power away from a conduit or two below the hot one and then route it back into the system above that conduit to maintain relatively high output but also giving that conduit a break. Of course you also wanna keep a finger on the reset routes button if you need to slam on the brakes, its better to keep standard routing than have something blow up and get penalized for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Rectus posted:

Who ordered the pogo stick locomotion?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3d4z9IQio

How does it feel?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Is Bridge Crew worth $50? Or should I just wait for a sale?

TomR posted:

How does it feel?

To treat me like you do?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Is anyone excited for the update on Fallout 4 VR at E3? As far as I know it's Vive only, but everyone I've read was impressed outside of motion sickness at last years reveal. The only thing I can see having issues is reading the Pip-Boy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

InevitableCheese posted:

Is anyone excited for the update on Fallout 4 VR at E3? As far as I know it's Vive only, but everyone I've read was impressed outside of motion sickness at last years reveal. The only thing I can see having issues is reading the Pip-Boy.

You can read the text just fine in E:D, I'm sure the Pip-Boy won't be much different.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Colonial Air Force posted:

You can read the text just fine in E:D, I'm sure the Pip-Boy won't be much different.

I don't think it's about clarity as much as the relative size of the Pip in the world. I imagine they'll either make it bigger, or we will just have to hold it really close to our face.

Also completely forgot about the DOOM VR announcement as well. Has there been any updates on that? I know Fallout 4 will be playable on the floor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

InevitableCheese posted:

I don't think it's about clarity as much as the relative size of the Pip in the world. I imagine they'll either make it bigger, or we will just have to hold it really close to our face.

Also completely forgot about the DOOM VR announcement as well. Has there been any updates on that? I know Fallout 4 will be playable on the floor.

Ah, I was thinking that it'd pop up to full screen when you needed it.

And DOOM VR!? Hell yes.

E: Er, no pun intended.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 2, 2017

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

veni veni veni posted:

Is there anywhere that Demos the Vive?

Staples near me has an apx 10'x10' space in their furniture section marked out for Vive demoing, so maybe check them out? I never expected them to have it, and I have not actually seen any Vives for sale there.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

InevitableCheese posted:

Luckily the PipBoy's interface is completely green which should greatly help with readability in pentile headsets.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Arizona Sunshine comes to PSVR this month and with support for the Aim controller, so I'd like to hear opinions about that game from you fine people. Probably going to be $40 for us too, but we will have said controller making a gigantic difference in immersion and the lot. Farpoint quickly made peoples best FPS in recent years lists thanks to it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MrLonghair posted:

Arizona Sunshine comes to PSVR this month and with support for the Aim controller, so I'd like to hear opinions about that game from you fine people. Probably going to be $40 for us too, but we will have said controller making a gigantic difference in immersion and the lot. Farpoint quickly made peoples best FPS in recent years lists thanks to it.

I had a lot of problems with it. Go into it expecting a really really arcadey shooter with a mildly annoying protagonist. No point to using the Aim controller since the weapons are handguns.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TomR posted:

How does it feel?

Pretty good. The pogo stick is just parented to the controller at the moment, but it feel fairly natural to use. It would probably be possible to have it pivot from your feet, but you I think you lose some control that way.

It's in my SteamVR Home beta map now.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=929520573&searchtext=

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is anything VR not horrifically overpriced?

I don't regret it but it can be a bit shallow after you learn the motions I suppose, up to you.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

InevitableCheese posted:

They didn't announce DOOM VR. They just showed some DOOM 2016 assets in VR. They haven't discussed plans to release any content yet.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
For better or for worse, Bridge Crew has become the official system seller among my group of friends. Two now have Rifts on order with a third planning on PSVR.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

Despite its issues I'd say it's one of the best experiences I've had so far. Pretty immersive and some of the darker areas can be very tense (I am a big wuss). My only gripe is the protaginist being extremely cheesy, calling every zombie "Fred" or "Freddie", I guess in some effort to avoid using the z-word and be generic. My family members that love The Walking Dead and the like are crazy about it, and even my older mother-in-law comes over specifically to play it (and she doesn't play video games).

Stick100 posted:

They didn't announce DOOM VR. They just showed some DOOM 2016 assets in VR. They haven't discussed plans to release any content yet.

Well, drat that's disappointing. Some sites I looked at were listing it as TBA, but confirmed.

I wish more older games would go back and add VR support. Serious Sam is the bomb on Vive.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I had a lot of problems with it. Go into it expecting a really really arcadey shooter with a mildly annoying protagonist. No point to using the Aim controller since the weapons are handguns.

The Aim controller would be useful even for pistols because of the better tracking in comparison to lovely the PSMove controllers.

Stick100 posted:

There were some rumblings that they had further developed the port and integrated gameplay elements into it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wintermutant posted:

For better or for worse, Bridge Crew has become the official system seller among my group of friends. Two now have Rifts on order with a third planning on PSVR.

It's pretty rad that Ubisoft keeps doing this cross platform thing. Werewolves is the only PSVR multiplayer game I can actually find games in. Well, that and Farpoint but that game is brand new still. Bridge crew should actually have some longevity because of it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

InevitableCheese posted:

I wish more older games would go back and add VR support. Serious Sam is the bomb on Vive.

VR is pretty hard to do so it makes sense that you'd need to have pretty good grasp of your game engine/the original engineers. Many of the older game engines would be really hard to retrofit.

It makes sense that a smaller/insular company the often reworks it's titles would be able to do it while other companies would have a much harder time. They had just done a Serious Sam remaster recently so the tech was probably near a modern API already. I think we're a lot more likely to see VR versions of remasters of games then the older games themselves.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I would say it depends on the value you get out of your entertainment. I would say I've probably played it for maybe 14 hours since last sunday, and the game cost about the same as 2 movie tickets, but I've definitely gotten much more value out of the game than I would have seeing a couple movies this past week, and I'm still not close to bored with the game. Its one of the most fun times I've had in VR.

If you want to compare it to the amount of content you'll get out of an equally priced non VR game? Well, no you're not getting that. Theres 6 missions at the moment, 5 categories of random missions, and 2 bridges. The real fun of the game is just while you may do say mission 3 a bunch of times, its never the same experience when you're with totally different people, and in a different role. Things going pear shaped and everyone starting to panic and get stressed is a big part of the fun. That will only go so far of course if they never release new content, so, yeah I guess it depends on how you value your entertainment purchases.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

After Farpoint I'll take fake-akimbo with free movement and rotation with the Aim over anything else (motion sickness immune so far), it's light enough to use one-handed should they implement support and tracking for two Aim too.

InevitableCheese posted:

Despite its issues I'd say it's one of the best experiences I've had so far. Pretty immersive and some of the darker areas can be very tense (I am a big wuss). My only gripe is the protaginist being extremely cheesy, calling every zombie "Fred" or "Freddie", I guess in some effort to avoid using the z-word and be generic. My family members that love The Walking Dead and the like are crazy about it, and even my older mother-in-law comes over specifically to play it (and she doesn't play video games).
I was born 1980 so that's a perfectly okay protagonist in my book!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arizona Sunshine has its issues but it has moments of organic greatness that comes from the panic of waves. Finishing a fight and looking around to see the bodies and the half empty magazines you dropped in a panic is a great experience.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

No point to using the Aim controller since the weapons are handguns.

From the trailer it looks like you have movement control though, right? The PS Move controllers don't have a joystick so if you want dualshock controls + motion aiming, the Aim is pretty much the only option on PS4.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Electromax posted:

From the trailer it looks like you have movement control though, right? The PS Move controllers don't have a joystick so if you want dualshock controls + motion aiming, the Aim is pretty much the only option on PS4.

You have roomscale movement (for platforms that support it, of course) but other than that it's all teleportation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a moment in the PSVR announce trailer (~0:10) with a rifle on a bipod, maybe they added long guns specifically for the two-handed controller?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 2, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You have roomscale movement (for platforms that support it, of course) but other than that it's all teleportation.

I have a standing setup with the Oculus Rift & use the right Touch Controller thumbstick to move around.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

^^^ ah, news to me

haveblue posted:

There's a moment in the PSVR announce trailer (~0:10) with a rifle on a bipod, maybe they added long guns specifically for the two-handed controller?

That is a setpiece, you can't take that rifle with you. There are a few mounted weapons like that but everything else is one-handed (but includes smgs and such)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Watching two Russians go through the dark mine right now and the game is on my shopping list, perfect. Underground, tight spaces, full darkness, zombies, all things that combined make a 4x combo of making people poo poo themselves, I will have pain in the cheeks from smiling as I go through it. Hope it comes just after E3 or something.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Taintrunner posted:

I have a standing setup with the Oculus Rift & use the right Touch Controller thumbstick to move around.

Locomotion was a recent patch. The game was teleport only originally.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Been meaning to ask this, but does anyone want to add each other on Steam? Definitely need more friends to play VR with, and they may as well be goons. My username is the same as here.

Edit: I also own 1400 non-VR games. So there are those as well.

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 3, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They claim to have re-jiggered it for the aim controller. Not sure what that entails other than not duel weilding, but the aim is insanely good compared to the move controllers for tracking.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Arizona Sunshine's weakest point by far are the horde sections, particularly the mine one. Even with locomotion, you're just not agile enough to really be on the move and the reload mechanics and relative sparsity of ammo can be a real pain. I had to redo the mine sequence some 10 times or so before I got it nailed down, they feel balanced for co-op play but not for solo.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

InevitableCheese posted:

Been meaning to ask this, but does anyone want to add each other on Steam? Definitely need more friends to play VR with, and they may as well be goons. My username is the same as here.

Edit: I also own 1400 non-VR games. So there are those as well.

There's a username channel in discord with a lot of steam and uplay accounts. Probably best to go there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Songbearer posted:

Arizona Sunshine's weakest point by far are the horde sections, particularly the mine one. Even with locomotion, you're just not agile enough to really be on the move and the reload mechanics and relative sparsity of ammo can be a real pain. I had to redo the mine sequence some 10 times or so before I got it nailed down, they feel balanced for co-op play but not for solo.

Yeah. I banged my head against the horde section in the mine 8 or 9 times before I decided I was done with the game for now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bridge Crew MP is kind of amazing, even when you get blown up by klingons. Mixing PC and console was totally seamless too, no one would have noticed if we didn't all ID ourselves.

We tried the OG Enterprise bridge, but noped straight back to the menu when we discovered that it's absolutely 100% accurate to the show, right down to everyone's panel being a random grid of unlabeled LEDs and switches.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

To treat me like you do?

If you have 100 uPlay points, you can get a 20% discount. I had them from some old Assassins Creed achievements.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

Bridge Crew MP is kind of amazing, even when you get blown up by klingons. Mixing PC and console was totally seamless too, no one would have noticed if we didn't all ID ourselves.

We tried the OG Enterprise bridge, but noped straight back to the menu when we discovered that it's absolutely 100% accurate to the show, right down to everyone's panel being a random grid of unlabeled LEDs and switches.
You can turn on button labels. Its pretty crazy though, helm essentially has WASD controls

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it's definitely worth full price, but if you've played any Ubisoft games at all you should already have enough points for that discount, if not there's some account shenanigans you could do to get the required points

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

You can turn on button labels. Its pretty crazy though, helm essentially has WASD controls

Yeah, it was still intimidating though. I was on helm, I didn't get a chance to try using it because everyone said almost in unison "we are so not doing this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You should've gone for it, it's not so bad if you've done the Aegis and roughly know what you should be doing. Combat is more straightforward for example since you have fewer options for hacking and power distribution, it's just more difficult to do the basic stuff. Once you can turn off the labels it gets pretty sweet.