Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

jBrereton posted:

It's A Harry Potter Reference.

as a stupid millenial apparently killing every industry ever i got the reference...i guess

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

she's kind of a peripheral weird twitter character so probably

oh ok w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
allow me to turn it into a US liberal-friendly headline:

Is Jeremy Corbyn The City's Severus Snape? 6 Ways He Might Get A Better Brexit For Bankers Than May.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jBrereton posted:

It's A Harry Potter Reference.

oh snap

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the one on the left doesn't seem familiar

weird how they didn't teach you about those loyalists in middle school

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Karl Barks posted:

i like orwell btu this doesn't make sense. germany had a king, japan had an emperor

The German Kaiser was a constitutional monarch but not in the modern sense, he could name and fire the chancellor at will and had complete control of foreign policy. Both Germany and Austria-Hungary occupied a middle ground between powerless ceremonial monarchy and absolute monarchy around the time of WWI and leaned towards the latter.

Hirohito was very much a figurehead but for a military junta instead of a democratic government.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fallen Hamprince posted:

weird how they didn't teach you about those loyalists in middle school

history in the UK, as far as it was for me, was learning about WW2 a million times wiht a bit of cold war near the end

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Jose posted:

history in the UK, as far as it was for me, was learning about WW2 a million times wiht a bit of cold war near the end

we learnt about nazi germany, the cold war, the vietnam war, and Britain from 1900-50 (mostly welfare state stuff) properly, but we did tudors and women's suffrage and such in lower years

nothing about the empire though lol

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Google.co.uk British Ron Paul

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Baloogan posted:

government is the most wildly successful invention ever made
and the proto-monarchy in canada is really stable :shrug:
i like it

it spares us from having a separate executive branch

those always seem to be a clusterfuck

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

and i must meme posted:

we learnt about nazi germany, the cold war, the vietnam war, and Britain from 1900-50 (mostly welfare state stuff) properly, but we did tudors and women's suffrage and such in lower years

presumably after Brexit the curriculum will shift back in the direction of "here are some times we beat up the French."

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bernard Sanders with the assist

https://twitter.com/imajsaclaimant/status/870673557273141248

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

Google.co.uk British Ron Paul
finally the rloveution we've all been waiting for

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kurtofan posted:

i dont get this

snape

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

and i must meme posted:

that was a far bigger range of stuff than when i was in high school which is the only bit of school history i remember

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
jeb!!!

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/871103193844940802

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jeb?

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/stat...pagenumber%3D69

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

presumably after Brexit the curriculum will shift back in the direction of "here are some times we beat up the French."

These are people who thought the centenary of WWI should be celebrated with street parties, so I think that may have happened regardless of the Brexit vote.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the ORB giveth and the ORB taketh away

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The terrorists have struck the UK again, London this time. Vehicle attack on pedestrians.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
verdammt noch mal

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
London Bridge, a mowing down.
A mowing down. A mowing down.
Please don't go, on that bridge,
You dummbbb lady.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/871090909114490881

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

noob question: how come the polls don't include SNP and the other regional parties? won't those parties probably hold about 70 seats or so? What do the Westminster polls tell us, practically?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
cor blimey

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Vox Nihili posted:

the ORB giveth and the ORB taketh away

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

noob question: how come the polls don't include SNP and the other regional parties? won't those parties probably hold about 70 seats or so? What do the Westminster polls tell us, practically?
Those numbers don't add up to 100% and make space for the SNP and other regional parties.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
which possible pm has the word orb in his name

🤔

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I can't believe all the talk about constitutional monarchy being a bulwark against fascism and nobody brought up the Kingdom of Italy, which was literally a constitutional monarchy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is Corbyn considered weak on defense where this attack might hurt him?

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is Corbyn considered weak on defense where this attack might hurt him?

His poll numbers went up after Manchester so he's probably fine.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hope this Predictit idiot is right

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is Corbyn considered weak on defense
Yes.

quote:

where this attack might hurt him?
Maybe, we'll see how it pans out.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
didn't may cut funding for cops and security and poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bet you British intelligence were aware of this attacker too, in spite of the London Muslim community giving warnings about him dozens of times.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If Corbyn pulled a Trump it'd make up for everything that happened in the last year and a half.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Bet you British intelligence were aware of this attacker too, in spite of the London Muslim community giving warnings about him dozens of times.
You know what mate that's quite possible, but if you arrested every hypothetical radge the security services knew about you'd have an awful lot of people in jail, and a really good reason for even more people to be hosed off at a government policy of detention for what in almost all cases amounts to masturbatory fantasist thoughtcrimes, just like the Diplock days.

Fix the collapsing job market for young men, fix the housing situation, fix the the mental health system, then maybe reheat authoritarian criminal justice proceedings.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jBrereton posted:

You know what mate that's quite possible, but if you arrested every hypothetical radge the security services knew about you'd have an awful lot of people in jail, and a really good reason for even more people to be hosed off at a government policy of detention for what in almost all cases amounts to masturbatory fantasist thoughtcrimes, just like the Diplock days.

Fix the collapsing job market for young men, fix the housing situation, fix the the mental health system, then maybe reheat authoritarian criminal justice proceedings.

Bernie would have won?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hope this Predictit idiot is right

raising the issue of service cuts and their impact on security re: terrorism is extremely good political judo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

The Manchester attacker went all the way to Libya for training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ORB has spoken