Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9542GB5EF/fernando-alonso-brazil-2015-1-8-figure?key=20e2bc11674c4e1bd49c72b8b780c4d1

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-bosses-target-more-than-21-races-from-2019-913656/

On the one hand I love how they say in a rounds out way they want to focus on races in Europe instead of 3rd world poo poo holes but in the other I don't think they need to add more races when so many of them are snoozefests to begin with.

Also holy poo poo:

quote:

Bratches added F1 is keen to avoid clashes with other sporting events.

FIA president Jean Todt met with F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn, World Endurance Championship CEO Gerard Neveu and Formula E chief Alejandro Agag in Monaco to discuss greater collaboration on calendar planning in the future.

Brawn also met with Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta in Spain to discuss avoiding clashes with MotoGP.

"We are very interested in doing what's best for fans, to the extent that there are opportunities to avoid circumstances where there are competitive sports going on," he said.

"Next year there is a weekend where the Wimbledon final and World Cup final take place on the same day as the British Grand Prix. It would be suboptimal to have the British Grand Prix on that day."

RIP 2018 Wimbledon and British GP I guess

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Yes because so many motorsports fans are big into their tennis and football :allears:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

enri posted:

Yes because so many motorsports fans are big into their tennis and football :allears:

My point is most people are going to be watching the world cup, don't be naive.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

enri posted:

Uh, yeah? Absolutely I watch all those things.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Tennis is ok but Their Soccer is a structurally flawed sport and I do not understand how it has become so popular internationally

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least they're going "Oh, crap, we have a problem here" instead of "gently caress them, they have to deal" as they would under Bernie.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The WC final would be in the evening anyway Wimbledon final and British GP clash quite alot though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think the bigger issue is pushing for more races when the last five races of a season feels like a complete slog to get through now.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

The Croc posted:

The WC final would be in the evening anyway Wimbledon final and British GP clash quite alot though.

Yeah I don't care about tennis but I literally don't understand the scoring system. All I care about is what horrible tragedy will befall the world cup in Russia.

And the way you people feel about Monaco is how I feel about Silverstone so no big loss at all.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I think the bigger issue is pushing for more races when the last five races of a season feels like a complete slog to get through now.

Double points with firehoses. Bring back Bernie.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm legit gonna miss Sepang it was a great track and the race served as a reason to put them on the map besides just knowing to never get on a Malaysia Airlines flight ever again.

Having France and Germany back is awesome and ridiculous they were ever removed in the first place gently caress Bernie. Get rid of Russia and Bahrain. I'm indifferent to Abu Dhabi but I hate the season ending there.

Another US Grand prix would be nice but maybe after they get over their full Nazi phase.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress it, just do Macau.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

gently caress it, just do Macau.

Gross

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Formula 1 Macau Grand Prix, last car running wins.

It's only 10 laps long.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

WELL DONE MACAU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Basticle posted:

My point is most people are going to be watching the world cup, don't be naive.

lol I hate football with a passion I have no clue for its appeal.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The Croc posted:

Which is a pity as you wont get stories like this
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...-Royal-Box.html

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

Formula 1 Macau Grand Prix, last car running wins.

It's only 10 laps long.

Macau was paying kart drivers like $3k, room and freight into the country if you just turned up to race. I'm actually shocked Bernie never went there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Football is good
Tennis is good
Racing is good
Other football is good
Basketball is good
Hockey is good
Baseball is OK

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

lol I hate football with a passion I have no clue for its appeal.

Okay

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tennis is bad.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Please.

Someone explain tennis scores.

I've spent 20 minutes reading up and I still dont get it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The only good sports are hockey and darts. Car racing is okay sometimes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Please.

Tennis scores are confusing?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Macau was paying kart drivers like $3k, room and freight into the country if you just turned up to race. I'm actually shocked Bernie never went there.

It's danger pay.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I'd take it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No one will watch the F1 live, they will record the F1. The biggest issue is that the people who can afford Silverstone tickets are the same people who can afford Wimbledon tickets, and those who go to the build up matches won't really be able to justify shelling out for two big expensive sporting events in one week.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Whitey Ford posted:

It's danger pay.

Its for some dumb kart track in Macau and not the street circuit itself. I was actually looking into it before I learned that because it would've been hilarious and amazing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Its for some dumb kart track in Macau and not the street circuit itself. I was actually looking into it before I learned that because it would've been hilarious and amazing.

Shoulda. I mean what crazy obligations do you have in ol Canada?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Wirth1000 posted:

Please.

In case you're serious:

Matches are best of 3 or 5 sets. 5 for the most important men's games (grand slams), 3 for everything else.

A set is first to 6 games, but you need a 2-game difference to win. So 6-4 wins, but 6-5 doesn't, you need 7-5. If it's 6-6, there's usually (*) a tie-break to win the set. (*: depends on the tournament.)

To win a game you need to win 4 points, but again with a 2-point difference. For reasons that nobody knows, these points are called 'love' for 0, '15'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Games of tennis are won by being the first to win four points, but like how sets need a margin of two games to win, games also need a margin of at least two points to win. The points are called, starting from zero: love, 15, 30, 40, and game (nobody knows why- tennis is extremely loving old). If a game is tied at 40-40, meaning either player needs to win two consecutive points to win, this is called "Deuce", and the next point won will give the winning player the "Advantage". If the player with the advantage wins the next point, that's game, otherwise it goes back to Deuce (40-40).

In reality, tennis is won by taking more steroids than the other player.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Shoulda. I mean what crazy obligations do you have in ol Canada?

When I looked at it I was basically assuming I could get a kart in some runnable condition for under $3k in vancouver (unlikely since the CIK fixed gear engine rules were heavily changed like a year before then and Vancouver's club to my knowledge doesn't run those engines), have somebody ship it over on a ship and then flying over there with as many tools possible to run an engine I have no experience and kart I haven't seen with against world class pros. Didn't seem like it'd be a ton of fun. It would make a lot of sense if I was buying a shifter kart and I could knock a grand or two off the price and have some fun learning about a kart I'd be keeping long term but my pockets aren't that deep at the moment.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

No one will watch the F1 live, they will record the F1. The biggest issue is that the people who can afford Silverstone tickets are the same people who can afford Wimbledon tickets, and those who go to the build up matches won't really be able to justify shelling out for two big expensive sporting events in one week.

Huh? the crossover with F1 and footy fans is quite broad, I know nobody that would watch the tennis before Silverstone, they'll watch the GP then switch over for the latter part of Wimbledon Final

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Games of tennis are won by being the first to win four points, but like how sets need a margin of two games to win, games also need a margin of at least two points to win. The points are called, starting from zero: love, 15, 30, 40, and game (nobody knows why- tennis is extremely loving old). If a game is tied at 40-40, meaning either player needs to win two consecutive points to win, this is called "Deuce", and the next point won will give the winning player the "Advantage". If the player with the advantage wins the next point, that's game, otherwise it goes back to Deuce (40-40).

In reality, tennis is won by taking more steroids than the other player.

If he's read up on it, he isn't going to get that either

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A simpler version is that tennis is ruined and bad now because the cool American and German players like Agassi, Michael Chang, Boris Becker, and Michael Stitch got replaced with awful Spainards and doping eastern Europeans and Russians, and the game is now all about awful boring defensive play and waiting for an unforced error. I hate tennis.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A simpler version is that tennis is ruined and bad now because the cool American and German players like Agassi, Michael Chang, Boris Becker, and Michael Stitch got replaced with awful Spainards and doping eastern Europeans and Russians, and the game is now all about awful boring defensive play and waiting for an unforced error. I hate tennis.

Name a thing you love

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Norns posted:

Name a thing you love

He loves to post. I think you'll find that he's a professor on that subject.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
^well played :golfclap:

Norns posted:

Name a thing you love

This thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Suck it, Poois