Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Domus posted:

Oh, good to know. Just...why did I pay $100 if they're going to be sub-par copies? Really, Amazon?

What do you mean $100? You said it yourself. Free with Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Like if you paid for Prime solely for the B:TAS episodes that's kind of on you dogg. They don't even have the classic theme song.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

purple death ray posted:

Like if you paid for Prime solely for the B:TAS episodes that's kind of on you dogg. They don't even have the classic theme song.

Ha ha holy poo poo

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

purple death ray posted:

They do for season 2.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah just season 1 has the wrong intro for some reason

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I do remember the man-bat episode always looked rough, even outside prime.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It was also the only time in the original episodes they got away with showing batman bleeding.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It was the very first episode and the reason that season finale JLU "Epilogue" episode ended the way it did with the homage to the first few seconds of the Manbat episode, they didn't know if they were getting another season which they did

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4EuOMiKSQ

Clip of the new Spider-man cartoon. The CG assets look garbage, but I really dig the rest. The super simplistic backgrounds look rather good (love that exterior shadows are blue) and help the characters pop, which is extra good since they're emoting fairly well. I can see this being good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the backgrounds and CGI look extremely unfinished, but I like the fighting and choreography is pretty good, and Spidey's new VA is much easier to listen to than Drake Bell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I really like that clip.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Reminds me of the Green Lantern show. Super weird art style, but the show itself was pretty interesting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember when cartoons were pretty.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
You figure technology would have made doing beautiful animation easier and cheaper, but it seems to have had pretty much the opposite effect of encouraging even more corner cutting. Like you'd figure that the best episode of a 20 year old cartoon would be significantly cheaper and easier to produce today and that the bar for animation would be higher in general. But then stuff like Avenger's Assemble happens.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ToastyPotato posted:

You figure technology would have made doing beautiful animation easier and cheaper, but it seems to have had pretty much the opposite effect of encouraging even more corner cutting. Like you'd figure that the best episode of a 20 year old cartoon would be significantly cheaper and easier to produce today and that the bar for animation would be higher in general. But then stuff like Avenger's Assemble happens.

I'm pretty sure blame can, as is often the case, be laid squarely at the feet of Adobe Flash.

Doomsday Clock will reveal that it's also responsible for Flashpoint.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

It's not really that simple. Hand-drawn animation doesn't suddenly become cheaper with technology. Even while it introduces new options those options take time and energy to learn. Working with digital coloring over traditional for example actually requires a lot of work. In addition changing tastes and styles have an impact there too. Hand-drawn is actually more expensive because there are fewer studios doing it and fewer people trained in doing it well.

In addition old cartoons often had a lot of cheapness and shortcuts themselves, just in different ways, so it can depend on what method of cheapness looks best to you.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus a variety of other factors, like what the market will support, what the cost to effort ratio is to get kids to pay attention to a show, and what the studio actually wants out of the show. We all remember the years of things like Gargoyles and BTAS being great, but not only was that a very different time, they were also beacons in a sea of less memorable cheap poo poo.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Clip of the new Spider-man cartoon. The CG assets look garbage, but I really dig the rest. The super simplistic backgrounds look rather good (love that exterior shadows are blue) and help the characters pop, which is extra good since they're emoting fairly well. I can see this being good.

This animation is the worst I've seen in a very, VERY long time.

Wow...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Plus a variety of other factors, like what the market will support, what the cost to effort ratio is to get kids to pay attention to a show, and what the studio actually wants out of the show. We all remember the years of things like Gargoyles and BTAS being great, but not only was that a very different time, they were also beacons in a sea of less memorable cheap poo poo.

It's also easy for nostalgia to blind you to just how bad some poo poo looked.

Looking at you, 90s Spider-Man.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Based purely off the way Spider-Man moved his legs around while running and spinning around, his secret identity must be Dean Venture.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I knew I'd seen that gangly knees and elbows run somewhere recently!

Dean as Peter and Hank/Dermott as Venom is actually pretty perfect.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, I didn't enjoy that at all. It looks rough. The dialogue is extra corny (yes I realize it's Spider-Man) and the metro card bit just didn't land for me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well it'd be hard to be worse than Ultimate Spider-Man, so whatever, I'm down with this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm surprised people are bagging on the animation here, it's actually really fluid for what it is. Like, these are detailed semi-realistic characters, and normally when you do that on a cartoon budget you get super stiff animation because more detailed objects are hard to render moving around in interesting ways. See for ex. all the Marvel cartoons in the past eight years or so. You can see where the corners are being cut but there's also a lot of intricate animation in this clip.

Looks heavily influenced by anime, but like, modern action/slice of life anime and things in that visual style rather than hyperstylised shounen stuff. I'm impressed.

I love Spider-Man having a running commentary, too. I feel like that's actually key to the essence of the character, the "narration box" style panic about how he's going to get out of this one, and bringing it back captures a large part of what makes him a charming underdog hero.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I liked the metro card bit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I like the commentary from Spidey, I like the homemade suit, I like the fluid movement, and I even liked the metro card joke. He WOULD be nerdy enough (at least as a teen anyway) to obey the laws when he's in a super dire situation like that. Then him getting tackled through anyway was amusing.

But those backgrounds. Those are so bad that, once I noticed them, it ruined pretty much everything else for me. I seriously hope that's not a final clip or something. They could've at least slapped some outlines on things...and a teeny bit more detail. I get they wanted to focus on the action and the forefront but still...

Also what exactly did Spider-Man slam into there? Air? The ground? A tree? I have no idea and it seems like the animators didn't either.

I did notice the homemade suit has no spider emblem yet. I think that's a nice touch. If you're going to make a homemade suit out of clothes AND you're really eager to run around in it, you're not gonna try to make an emblem.. Especially if you might suck at sewing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure the homemade suit is from the new movie. You can see it in one of the later trailers.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also what exactly did Spider-Man slam into there? Air? The ground? A tree? I have no idea and it seems like the animators didn't either.

It's the ground. If you slow it down you can see a downward slam from Scorpion. Perspective in that shot is all kinds of wonky.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I enjoyed Beware the Batman a fair amount, even with the somewhat ugly style and obvious CG limits (compared to Green Lantern, which could hide it better). It's pretty tightly plotted and the characters involved are interesting precisely because they're not so overexposed. I'm a big fan of Grey Griffin so her voicing Magpie was very welcome, and Metamorpho, Lady Shiva and Katana were all great. Batman himself was a bit bland, and I wasn't huge on this Alfred, but it was definitely it's own take and I would have been interested in Season 2 with The Outsiders being involved.

Before it I also watched The Batman which was solid, but disappointingly repetitious with the same male villains. I really enjoyed Poison Ivy and Catwoman, and they hardly appear compared to so many Joker (strong performances from KMR though, and I don't hate The Batman designs as a change of pace) and Penguin episodes. Batgirl also gets pushed to the side once Robin shows up, but there were some fun episodes. I particularly liked the future episode where the archaeologists were exploring the Batcave, so it was just a shame that only male Justice Leaguers showed up in the final season. Guess that's a product of selling toys to boys.

I do appreciate that all the Batman cartoons did their own thing and did it well.

Velcro Crucifix
Oct 7, 2013
I really dug Return of the Caped Crusader, and the VA for Riddler did a solid Gorshin impression.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Now that Wonder Woman has gotten her own movie and it's turned out to be a huge success, do you think DC might actually give her more animated stuff of her own now?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They don't even give Batman that anymore.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Dexie posted:

Now that Wonder Woman has gotten her own movie and it's turned out to be a huge success, do you think DC might actually give her more animated stuff of her own now?

Given the quality of DC's animated releases in recent years, I rather hope not.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Her animated film was already pretty rad and was made before the rot set in anyway. We have that Batman and Harley Quinn one to "look forward" to now. Also, whatever happened to the Gods and Monsters followup? Did it just get quietly cancelled or what?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

They don't even give Batman that anymore.

He got like 3 or 4 straight DTV films. I can definitely see WW getting at least 1 animated project if this movie makes bank.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ToastyPotato posted:

He got like 3 or 4 straight DTV films. I can definitely see WW getting at least 1 animated project if this movie makes bank.

She's already got one of the best films in DC animated history. Might be best to quit while we're ahead on this one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ToastyPotato posted:

I meant like animated series stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I meant like animated series stuff.

Doesn't Batman have some kind of weird robot animal thing? DC hasn't really been doing much animated TV stuff outside of Teen Titans Go and that weird high school superhero girl show.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched four episodes of Justice League Action and thought it was ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ToastyPotato posted:

Doesn't Batman have some kind of weird robot animal thing? DC hasn't really been doing much animated TV stuff outside of Teen Titans Go and that weird high school superhero girl show.

That's more DTV stuff, and it's not animal robot thing so much as this lighter focused, absurdly toyetic thing.