Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Holy poo poo 9S in Route C. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Holy poo poo 9S in Route C. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. :stonk:

It turns out that the worst time for horrible events to occur is when someone is already having a crisis of faith.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

How would that be impossible? He can clearly deal with every other emotion. What's different about grief?

I don't know if you noticed, but it's literally the END TIME for him and his people. There will be no more children, and no machines to join his village. He will be alone forever.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

He's such a big baby. All he has to do is get the kids to chant THIS CANNOT CONTINUE and another healthy robot will spring forward from his chest.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Haven't finished ending E (I am not good at bullet hells) but I spared Pascal because I figured there was always the possibility of more children he could help. Just like the ending of the first Nier should have been the end of society, there not being more robots produced right now could always change, and Pascal could have a new life to live. Killing him right then and there guarantees that doesn't happen.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Snak posted:

I don't know if you noticed, but it's literally the END TIME for him and his people. There will be no more children, and no machines to join his village. He will be alone forever.

And that invalidates what I said... how?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Could someone please go into spoiler-y details about Emil? I didn't know that he was the last human so I imagine this is another gem they decide it to tell anyone so we are left in the dark unless we play Nier. Unless it ends up on Steam or I watch a long rear end let's play i will never know so please explain how he is a human and why he is hosed up? I thought he was just a wacky robot based on what we are given in this game. Also do the robots base themselves on him because they know he is human or did Emil have an active roll in that?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

You know he's a robot and the game states very clearly that that's impossible, right

I believe in him.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

rio posted:

Could someone please go into spoiler-y details about Emil? I didn't know that he was the last human so I imagine this is another gem they decide it to tell anyone so we are left in the dark unless we play Nier. Unless it ends up on Steam or I watch a long rear end let's play i will never know so please explain how he is a human and why he is hosed up? I thought he was just a wacky robot based on what we are given in this game. Also do the robots base themselves on him because they know he is human or did Emil have an active roll in that?

I'll try.

Emil started NieR as a semi-normal boy, but he was cursed with an ability that would turn anyone he looked at into stone. He wore a blindfold to protect others for the first half of the game.

It's revealed later on in NieR that he and his sister were experimental bioweapons made by the NieR-universe's equivalent of the Umbrella Corps from the Resident Evil series. They find his sister's monstrous form bound in chains in the basement of his home, and she eats/fuses with Emil. He ends up with his signature moon-head and a skeleton body.

In one of the final fights of the game, the team fights Devola and Popola. They succeed in killing Devola, and Popola has a complete meltdown from losing her other half and attempts to magic-suicide bomb NieR and friends off the face of the planet. Emil sacrifices himself to prevent a full-party wipe.

It's revealed during one of the later endings that Emil's head managed to survive the blast. He is at this point the only surviving 'human' left on Earth, if you don't disqualify him because of his various bioweapon transformations.

----------------

Throughout NieR, Emil bonds with fellow outcast Kainé. They each lived alone for most of their lives due to their respective curses, but they end up with a sibling-like bond to each other. At the midpoint of the game, Emil is forced to turn Kainé to stone to prevent her from going berserk. After Emil gets turned into a freaky skeleton, he gains the magical ability to heal Kainé from her petrification. He hides to avoid frightening her, but she immediately recognizes Emil despite his disfigured moon-head.

Memories of Kainé are what kept Emil going through the millenia as a quasi-immortal magical weapon. The Lunar Tear quest is based on Emil attempting to regain his fading memories. Kainé's grandmother left her a necklace made up of the extremely rare flower, so she is linked symbolically to the flower. Emil's shrine of flowers is dedicated to her memory and surrounds a recreation of her small shack home where she grew up.

----------------

Unless I'm mistaken, Emil's similarity to machine lifeforms is left open-ended. It's possible that the aliens based their technology on Emil, since he was probably a greater threat to them than all of the androids. It's also possible that the clones of Emil became the basis for machine lifeforms after his personality became too fragmented by the self-cloning process.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The machines are described quite differently in The Flame of Prometheus novella, as resembling a catfish, which seems to imply they at first looked like their creators what's with the aliens' catfishy whiskers so I think it's entirely plausible as adaptive weapons they evolved to look like the strongest fighter they ran into on Earth which just happened to be Emil. Since later on we get Adam and Eve who knows maybe with time most machines would've evolved to look like YoRHa.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Finally getting around to playing this -- is there a bug in this game that constantly kicks 2B out of running (not sprinting) and has her walk instead? Sprinting never gets interrupted, but if I'm just at the jogging pace, she'll frequently slow to a walk until I re-initiate running.

Couldn't find anything about this via google so I'm suspecting my Dualshock 4 is getting long in the tooth. Nothing like this happens in any other game, though.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Have you tried just holding forward on the keyboard bindings to see if it still happens? I was using a DS4 with DS4Windows for 80 hours and cant remember anything like that. Sounds like a bit of a deadzone issue on the thumbstick maybe.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

enojy posted:

Finally getting around to playing this -- is there a bug in this game that constantly kicks 2B out of running (not sprinting) and has her walk instead? Sprinting never gets interrupted, but if I'm just at the jogging pace, she'll frequently slow to a walk until I re-initiate running.

Couldn't find anything about this via google so I'm suspecting my Dualshock 4 is getting long in the tooth. Nothing like this happens in any other game, though.

Are you by any chance stumbling over debris? That'll slow you down

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Have you tried just holding forward on the keyboard bindings to see if it still happens? I was using a DS4 with DS4Windows for 80 hours and cant remember anything like that. Sounds like a bit of a deadzone issue on the thumbstick maybe.

No can do! (I'm playing on PS4.) I guess it must be a combo of the game having a real slight deadzone between run and walk, and my controller going out. Oh well.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Are you by any chance stumbling over debris? That'll slow you down

Nah, I don't suspect so -- it'll happen on perfectly flat ground, and there's no animation of stumbling or anything similar that goes along with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley

The English VAs for 9S and 2B (Kyle McCarley and Kira Buckland) are preparing to read the concert scripts right now, gonna start very soon I assume.

edit: They are now live. Kyle looks like he hasn't slept in 10 years for some reason but I'm pumped!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 4, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'd already read the scripts but man, hearing them read was electrifying. Teared up multiple times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, they did a fantastic job. Kyle's wife Katelyn was a surprisingly good A2!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There is only one A2 and her name is John Cena or Ayaka Suwa please feel free to enjoy the meme before the actual answer

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There is only one A2 and her name is John Cena or Ayaka Suwa please feel free to enjoy the meme before the actual answer:

Cherami Leigh.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There is only one A2 and her name is John Cena

I'd listen to him no-sell that role for a while.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

enojy posted:

That almost certainly means your left stick is hosed. Time for a new controller!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Tatumje posted:

I'll try.

Emil started NieR as a semi-normal boy, but he was cursed with an ability that would turn anyone he looked at into stone. He wore a blindfold to protect others for the first half of the game.

It's revealed later on in NieR that he and his sister were experimental bioweapons made by the NieR-universe's equivalent of the Umbrella Corps from the Resident Evil series. They find his sister's monstrous form bound in chains in the basement of his home, and she eats/fuses with Emil. He ends up with his signature moon-head and a skeleton body.

In one of the final fights of the game, the team fights Devola and Popola. They succeed in killing Devola, and Popola has a complete meltdown from losing her other half and attempts to magic-suicide bomb NieR and friends off the face of the planet. Emil sacrifices himself to prevent a full-party wipe.

It's revealed during one of the later endings that Emil's head managed to survive the blast. He is at this point the only surviving 'human' left on Earth, if you don't disqualify him because of his various bioweapon transformations.

----------------

Throughout NieR, Emil bonds with fellow outcast Kainé. They each lived alone for most of their lives due to their respective curses, but they end up with a sibling-like bond to each other. At the midpoint of the game, Emil is forced to turn Kainé to stone to prevent her from going berserk. After Emil gets turned into a freaky skeleton, he gains the magical ability to heal Kainé from her petrification. He hides to avoid frightening her, but she immediately recognizes Emil despite his disfigured moon-head.

Memories of Kainé are what kept Emil going through the millenia as a quasi-immortal magical weapon. The Lunar Tear quest is based on Emil attempting to regain his fading memories. Kainé's grandmother left her a necklace made up of the extremely rare flower, so she is linked symbolically to the flower. Emil's shrine of flowers is dedicated to her memory and surrounds a recreation of her small shack home where she grew up.

----------------

Unless I'm mistaken, Emil's similarity to machine lifeforms is left open-ended. It's possible that the aliens based their technology on Emil, since he was probably a greater threat to them than all of the androids. It's also possible that the clones of Emil became the basis for machine lifeforms after his personality became too fragmented by the self-cloning process.

I'm pretty sure they started basing themselves off of him since he's the only human they've encountered. They clearly have a thing for wanting to act human. Would they know that Emil's not a typical human?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So I never did anything at all with Emil in Automata, does the reason his head is inside a machine/"where am I?" ever get explained?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'd listen to him no-sell that role for a while.

But, you knew that... didn't you!!!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Note though in the cd drama and the storybook segment he's fighting the actual aliens themselves instead of machines. I don't think at that point they would've had any idea what a human is

Akuma posted:

So I never did anything at all with Emil in Automata, does the reason his head is inside a machine/"where am I?" ever get explained?

Nope! That's something for a novella to explain one day I guess

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Oh man, I just finished Ending B and THERE'S AN ENTIRE OTHER GAME WAITING BEHIND IT

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Oh man, I just finished Ending B and THERE'S AN ENTIRE OTHER GAME WAITING BEHIND IT

:yokotaro:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

CJacobs posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley

The English VAs for 9S and 2B (Kyle McCarley and Kira Buckland) are preparing to read the concert scripts right now, gonna start very soon I assume.

edit: They are now live. Kyle looks like he hasn't slept in 10 years for some reason but I'm pumped!

Is this getting thrown up on YouTubes?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, but you don't have to wait. Check the past broadcasts.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Before doing C, get the tissues for either crying or masturbating, or both.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/does-the-designer-behind-nier-automata-believe-in-god?utm_source=wptwitterus

Interview with Yoko Taro in English

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

rio posted:

And some deadly heal chips. Berzerker Mode :getin:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

More like a combination of deadly heal, offensive heal, and auto heal. Seriously, use all three of those with Berserker mode. Maybe add auto item too. :getin:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

rio posted:

I never got the weepiness people get at this game. It's at its absolute worst on Reddit. Just seems like another video game story to me. Am I an emotionless robot? Have all the video game stories over the years formed a callus over my callous soul?

PS: Never go into the Nier subreddit. If you do, don't look at the drawings. You're welcome.

...! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 5, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I just got my 80% Quest completion trophy upon finishing Speed Star.

For anyone else still having trouble, starting the self-detonation as you fall off the first building and then dashing out of it as you hit the ground seemed to do the trick for me. From there just dash dash dash until the goal.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Did anyone not keep the auto-item-pickup chip on for the rest of the game after you bought it?

Really feels like that should've been a default thing you can turn off if you want rather than something you have to unlock.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Begemot posted:

Did anyone not keep the auto-item-pickup chip on for the rest of the game after you bought it?

Really feels like that should've been a default thing you can turn off if you want rather than something you have to unlock.

I didn't. It's not that great and it takes up precious chip space. And it gets superseded by much better healing chips.

Edit: I didn't see the word "pickup". To answer your question, of course I kept that chip on.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Raxivace posted:

So I just got my 80% Quest completion trophy upon finishing Speed Star.

For anyone else still having trouble, starting the self-detonation as you fall off the first building and then dashing out of it as you hit the ground seemed to do the trick for me. From there just dash dash dash until the goal.

I skipped that quest because I hate any kind of racing quest in any game but I read that that quest is insanely easy if you use 9s and remote control a flying bot. Unless they patched that?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

So many people stop after ending A without understanding that it's basically a chapter ending -- especially when they see that route B is mostly a retread of route A -- so they miss the entire second half of the story. They think route B is NG+. I've even seen reviewers stop after ending A and then dock points off the game for being short.

Game's not over till you get ending E, folks.

...! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

...! posted:

So many people stop after ending A without understanding that it's basically a chapter ending -- especially when they see that route B is mostly a retread of route A -- so they miss the entire second half of the story. They think route B is NG+. I've even seen reviewers stop after ending A and then dock points off the game for being short.

Game's not over till you get ending E, folks.

I hear a sound