Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
im not going to pretend that anyone cares what i pay for fnms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

im not going to pretend that anyone cares what i pay for fnms

I do. I care about all of you.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

I do. I care about all of you.

i pay 420 dollars with 69 packs of prize support per person

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure its 5 across the entire state of texas and surrounding states. Seems very unlikely its the outlier. Are you guys getting gouged on the coasts or what?

Right now I'm in Philly but my last store was in the middle of nowhere IL so ???

I guess not everything is actually bigger in Texaxs :downsrim:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Our store gives a box/$72 credit for going 4/0 and half that for 3/1 so I think $10 is pretty fair for that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm so sick of seeing marvel decks.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm so sick of seeing marvel decks.

Everyone is, and as much as I hate seeing Wizards having to ban cards that should have never been printed. I think this one is going down. Temur Energy will still be a beast though.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
My LGS does Modern FNMs that get 20 people on average. It's 4 rounds, pack-per-win, $8 entry. I 4-0'd last night after not playing for a few months and it was my first time playing Grixis Death's Shadow :v:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

Everyone is, and as much as I hate seeing Wizards having to ban cards that should have never been printed. I think this one is going down. Temur Energy will still be a beast though.

https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/871098146201456642

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/871103479908974592

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is a very odd structure, how many players did they average?

It was up to 40 per week, by the time I moved away. The store could only hold 16 matches, so there were always people playing outside in the mall. A few times I showed up 15 min before fnm started and they turned me away. This was around OG Zendikar, though, so in the middle of the boom, and during a good standard.

How is the structure odd? Packs were $4, so all of the entry fees were converted to packs for the prizes.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

As we watch feature matches where marvel loses repeatedly.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Right now I'm in Philly but my last store was in the middle of nowhere IL so ???

I guess not everything is actually bigger in Texaxs :downsrim:

The other store in Philly does Modern on Monday nights (and legacy on Wednesday) for a 10$ entry fee. But all that goes into the prize pool for store credit, so its basically wagering more to win more.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Some how the stream video is like triple speed but the audio is normal. I'm so confused.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Some how the stream video is like triple speed but the audio is normal. I'm so confused.

They are commentating on a recorded game. The commentary is live while the game isn't.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They are doing live commentary over a recorded match that wasn't shown previously while the next round gets set up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That makes much more sense. They should do that for everything but the finals.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That makes much more sense. They should do that for everything but the finals.

Agree completely. Also having the pre recorded and edited match to go to is a nice touch to fill air time.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Are CFB running this GP? This has been their standard operating procedure for a long time I think.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

Are CFB running this GP? This has been their standard operating procedure for a long time I think.

Timewalked matches are not standard operating procedure.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Watching this Dykman guy play is aggravating as gently caress.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Watching this Dykman guy play is aggravating as gently caress.

Him taking the full 30 seconds to draw the 6 cards for marvel was the cherry on that poo poo sundae.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

i pay 420 dollars with 69 packs of prize support per person

:same:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

So I attended a 25 person fnm last night that instead of packs, every entry got you 10 bucks store credit. Flat payout, everything else was just for playing magic. People bitched and left. I advised the shop owner to simply ban those people from the store because they are cancer he doesn't need but the only other shop in the area is struggling and he doesnt want to risk his customer base.

How the tables have turned. It appears the store owner decided to wipe everyone store credit. He gave 1 day warning before he did it and I wasn't at that fnm last week when it happened. Apparently the store credit you accumulate you have to use right away as its lost at the end of the night. Probably lost about 50 bucks in store credit and a good friend of mine lost 20. Oh well, just another store I won't go to even again. Turns out they are cancer. :argh:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
dyk man

get it?!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

It was up to 40 per week, by the time I moved away. The store could only hold 16 matches, so there were always people playing outside in the mall. A few times I showed up 15 min before fnm started and they turned me away. This was around OG Zendikar, though, so in the middle of the boom, and during a good standard.

How is the structure odd? Packs were $4, so all of the entry fees were converted to packs for the prizes.

i meant the adding a pack per 2 people thing, i'v never heard of that before

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

How the tables have turned. It appears the store owner decided to wipe everyone store credit. He gave 1 day warning before he did it and I wasn't at that fnm last week when it happened. Apparently the store credit you accumulate you have to use right away as its lost at the end of the night. Probably lost about 50 bucks in store credit and a good friend of mine lost 20. Oh well, just another store I won't go to even again. Turns out they are cancer. :argh:

surely you can report them to WOTC for reneging on prize support, right? that's incredibly lovely lol

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

From what I've seen most places do 2 packs per person for $10 so that's pretty much half the payout for half the entry fee.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

My store forces store credit to be used that night of, but they at least tell you that instead of letting you walk away.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

My store forces store credit to be used that night of, but they at least tell you that instead of letting you walk away.

Yep, which is basically the rub. I already hit the owner up on facebook and his response was "its your responsibility to ask". Losing business for short term profits isn't smart. His regulars are already staging a coup with the other store in town.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Is that even legal?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Yep, which is basically the rub. I already hit the owner up on facebook and his response was "its your responsibility to ask". Losing business for short term profits isn't smart. His regulars are already staging a coup with the other store in town.

This, amongst horribly unclean and unorganized stores, is why nerds with no business skills should not go through with their dream of opening a gaming store to run into the ground.

You all should demand the store credit or threat to ruin the stores name. If enough people go against him he should fold; use your money, and walk away after.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The players are playing really fast because they don't want to draw.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

We lobbied with the Amsterdam coverage guys to get someone into the feature match who played a deck with indomitable creativity. It worked but he didn't cast it a single time :suicide:

But he did beat marvel with it so there is that.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Willeh posted:

We lobbied with the Amsterdam coverage guys to get someone into the feature match who played a deck with indomitable creativity. It worked but he didn't cast it a single time :suicide:

But he did beat marvel with it so there is that.

I rather watch someone someone with a 50% record or losing record play someone else if they have unique decks vs. two 7-0 guys with decks we constantly see on coverage.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
$5 bucks in SW Ohio/N KY and at least one store in New Orleans (okay, metarie or however you spell it)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The idea is that prizing should be proportionate to the money brought in with entries, such that winnings are always reasonable instead of the store throwing money away on slow nights and most players getting nothing when there's a crowd. Stores that payout a flat amount by record do this automatically, because more players inherently means more winners, but if the store is instead tracking standings with a prize pool divided based on record then they need to increase the pool as the player count rises.

So, for instance, my LGS usually does FNM with for $5 with a prize pool based on entries and divided by standings, while other tournaments are flat entry with credit payouts based on record.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shut the gently caress up, Aaron.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Honestly, I hate Marvel less for being overpowered at this point and more for being a slot machine of wild swings that minimizes the impact of player agency on the outcome of games.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Lol this means he's about out of business, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Lgs I play at does $6 fnm, you can use credit for it, two packs per head. They start off with standard and if that doesn't fire they ask what people want to play. Either ends up a draft or modern.

Standard has been good enough that we're fine playing it.