Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This episode was just awesome. All :eyepop: to the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That was absolutely amazing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Anime fully delivered all the hype.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Mama Midorya died of a heart attack, RIP

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Jeez. Poor Midoriya was just a straight up pile of broken bones and torn muscles by the end. Horrifying.

It was pretty obvious how the final clash was gonna go down though. Even One for All-infused punches directly into the gut weren't doing more than knocking Todoroki down for a second.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just love how wild eyed and slightly insane Midoriya looks throughout the fight. His power hurts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The egg didn't explode, though! (The egg is Todoroki.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darke GBF posted:

Jeez. Poor Midoriya was just a straight up pile of broken bones and torn muscles by the end. Horrifying.

It was pretty obvious how the final clash was gonna go down though. Even One for All-infused punches directly into the gut weren't doing more than knocking Todoroki down for a second.

At that point most of his hand was broken and he was doing his best to limit his power. A fully powered up punch to the stomach would have killed Todoroki.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
gently caress Endeavor

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dangerous Person posted:

gently caress Endeavor

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This fight translated beautifully into animation. I love how this version really impresses on you how close the match was and how much both of them had to put on the line to try to win. It's also really helps get across why both of them have what it takes to be heroes in a very public way.

Also, gently caress Endeavor.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm glad they didn't short-sell how abusive Endeavor was. He's an absolute fucker.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fabricated posted:

I'm glad they didn't short-sell how abusive Endeavor was. He's an absolute fucker.

Yeah, pretty much. The only fitting end for him is to die alone and forgotten, ambitions unfulfilled, cursing the uncaring world.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dangerous Person posted:

gently caress Endeavor

gently caress Endeavor

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i dont think todoroki can violate the laws of physics in the force and momentum category, midoriya at full power would knock todoroki's spine out of the ring, only hopefully w the rest still attached

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really want to watch the SoL focused on the girls in the class whose ED has inexplicably been swapped with the ED for MHA proper. It looks like it'd be comfy as hell.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really want to watch the SoL focused on the girls in the class whose ED has inexplicably been swapped with the ED for MHA proper. It looks like it'd be comfy as hell.

I know right

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tollymain posted:

yeah i dont think todoroki can violate the laws of physics in the force and momentum category, midoriya at full power would knock todoroki's spine out of the ring, only hopefully w the rest still attached

Todoroki can't take more damage than any normal human if it actually lands. He can probably make some sort of armour out of ice to block, but that wouldn't slow a proper OfA empowered punch very much. If Deku actually used the level of power he was actually capable of to attack a fellow student, that student would be paste. Look what he did to the robot in the entrance exam.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
That late title card was fuckin cool as hell dude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, that final attack was beautiful. And almost as powerful as Todoroki's mom's water attack.

Dangerous Person posted:

gently caress Endeavor

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I don't mean to be hyperbolic and say this anime makes me cry because I don't want people to get the image of me sobbing uncontrollably while staring at a computer screen but something about this show (and Midoriya as a protagonist specifically) makes me tear up a lot, and the list of things that make me do that so regularly is pretty short.

Something about Midoriya is a lot more relatable than other shonen protags, his character goes a lot beyond the normal archetype tropes of "I'm just gonna do my best!!!" and I guess it hits me right in the warm fuzzies. The extremely well-timed music swells help too I suppose.

It's weird thinking something like "Midoriya is probably straight up my favorite shonen protagonist" when we're only 23 episodes in, compared to the hundreds that a lot of long-running shows have. This show really really moves, while still balancing its cast extremely well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

That late title card was fuckin cool as hell dude.

Horikoshi did the same thing for the chapter the episode was named after and I'm still glad they kept it.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I don't mean to be hyperbolic and say this anime makes me cry because I don't want people to get the image of me sobbing uncontrollably while staring at a computer screen but something about this show (and Midoriya as a protagonist specifically) makes me tear up a lot, and the list of things that make me do that so regularly is pretty short.

Something about Midoriya is a lot more relatable than other shonen protags, his character goes a lot beyond the normal archetype tropes of "I'm just gonna do my best!!!" and I guess it hits me right in the warm fuzzies. The extremely well-timed music swells help too I suppose.

It's weird thinking something like "Midoriya is probably straight up my favorite shonen protagonist" when we're only 23 episodes in, compared to the hundreds that a lot of long-running shows have. This show really really moves, while still balancing its cast extremely well.

Midoriya is great, and I'm glad that there's so much emphasis on his successes stemming from his hard work and tactics. Even though this show is hitting a lot of the same beats as other similar shows, the execution feels really refreshing.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Midoriya is great, and I'm glad that there's so much emphasis on his successes stemming from his hard work and tactics. Even though this show is hitting a lot of the same beats as other similar shows, the execution feels really refreshing.

There's that, but there's also a lot about how he always feels like his success is due to the support of others or even just luck rather than his actual ability. There's a spotlight on his feeling of inferiority that I appreciate a lot.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Slime posted:

Todoroki can't take more damage than any normal human if it actually lands. He can probably make some sort of armour out of ice to block, but that wouldn't slow a proper OfA empowered punch very much. If Deku actually used the level of power he was actually capable of to attack a fellow student, that student would be paste. Look what he did to the robot in the entrance exam.

Todoroki can also ad hoc use his fire to create ERA armor ala the way tanks use explosive to deflect tank rounds. We saw this when Midoriya tries to air punch him during the cavalry battle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

There's that, but there's also a lot about how he always feels like his success is due to the support of others or even just luck rather than his actual ability. There's a spotlight on his feeling of inferiority that I appreciate a lot.

Deku's impostor syndrome is a really interesting way to make him feel human, and it's handled very well. Honestly, every major character has some core part of their personality that holds up what would otherwise be a Generic Shonen Character. Bakugo's big-fish-small-pond moment and his reactions to it, Todoroki's 'limiter' being a very understandable psychological reaction to his upbringing, how important Iida's family legacy is to him, the list goes on.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'm still not really on board with Bakugo. People seem to say he gets better as things go on and develop more and I trust that but for now he still just primarily feels like an irritable poo poo, albeit one that at least seems to respect whoever he's fighting. His cutaway scenes where he trash talks everyone are funny but he's not really a compelling character to me yet.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It depends on the person. I'm caught up on the manga and i still dislike him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I'm still not really on board with Bakugo. People seem to say he gets better as things go on and develop more and I trust that but for now he still just primarily feels like an irritable poo poo, albeit one that at least seems to respect whoever he's fighting. His cutaway scenes where he trash talks everyone are funny but he's not really a compelling character to me yet.
Understandable. The end of this arc does a lot for him, but even that pales in comparison to a huge moment for him in (at current anime:manga pace) what will be happening in Season 3. I don't want to say much more for risk of getting into Big Spoilers territory, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bakugou is basically a Vegeta character - you have to like a character who is just a mean prick to enjoy him. At no point are we told "oh Vegeta was abused as a child so we totally sympathize with him," we just accept that he's a jerk and because it's television we enjoy how big of a jerk he is. Bakugou has plenty of development but if you're fundamentally against a character who is a blatant, angry rear end in a top hat to the protagonist you'll never like him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bakugou is awesome, because he is a grumpy dump who is simultaneously no fool to the usual shonen tropes. His one weakness is a pretty big one though, since part of being a professional hero in this series is how you handle people. I like it.

I also don't consider him a Vegeta character, since...yknow....he's not an unapologetic murderer.:shrug:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
That's why I'm not passing too much judgment on stuff I haven't seen yet. I didn't really think Vegeta was all that interesting either until he chilled out and became a dad, it took time to build his character and then reconstruct it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The really good Bakugou material is in what's likely to be anime season 3 at current pace. That's also when he won the popularity poll.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

We're still getting Prime Bakugou Development in the manga, his arc is nowhere near finished

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All you need is the scene where he brushes his teeth. If you don't like Bakugou at least a little after that, then you're broken inside.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if we'll get a new OP/ED for the next cour.

I want something weirder and less generic (or at least more rockish) than the last couple of OPs. Go get MAN WITH A MISSION or One Ok Rock or Little Village Medicine Shop (I think I got it right- Hori's favorite band) or something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This is probably the best episode of anything I've seen this season.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mentioned this in the manga thread last time it came up but: the main issue with bakugou is that, in the early part of the series, he's too extreme to fall into the role of just a brash rival but also isn't over the top enough to feel exaggerated, so the result is that he comes off as, essentially, a nascent school shooter. Mineta also has a similar thing going on where he's not pathetic enough to be non-threatening but also not insane enough to be farcical, so instead of being funny he's just disgusting. The thing is that Horikoshi catches on fairly quick and he corrects course, its just that it takes a while for it to happen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mineta and Bakugou's early portrayals don't fail too hard IMO because no one really indulges them.

Mineta's perversity grosses out basically everyone in class and he gets called on it just about every time he engages in it. Aizawa tells Bakugou to cut his stupid poo poo out the instant he starts it when he gets to UA (a contrast to him in middle school). Bakugou's issue wasn't him being praised for being him early on- it was just that he was a bit TOO mean. Making fun of Midoriya is one thing, telling him to literally kill himself is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh my god that fight. I've been waiting for this episode all season and it did not disappoint.

Fabricated posted:

I wonder if we'll get a new OP/ED for the next cour.
I would be shocked if we didn't, the OP for season 1 showed stuff all the way to the fioghts at USJ whereas the current one only shows stuff for the sports festival, which is not going to last for the entire two cours.

• Locked thread