Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuns posted:

There's tons of tats and quite a few BJJ tats at my gym. But I managed to make it to black belt with no BJJ tattoos. An amazing number of people get them at blue belt and under though. It's especially cringeworthy when it's gym specific and they end up leaving the gym.

I know some dudes that got the team logo then their gym changed associations like a year later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns, real question. Are you Harley Flanagan?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

That's intensely hosed up

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

JaySB posted:

Yuns, real question. Are you Harley Flanagan?
Lol no. But one of the best things about the gym is that Harley is the kids' instructor. I wish I kept a copy of the newspaper cover photo of Harley being carried handcuffed to a wheelchair out of Webster Hall after stabbing his ex-bandmates from the Cro-Mags in self defense. We have got to be the only martial arts gym whose instructors have nearly all been on the cover of the NY Daily News or NY Post for assault. And in our defense almost all acquitted or charges dropped.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 2, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Its good to train with tge cro mags

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Am I wrong for thinking this purple belt is a bad purple belt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXx4Xtnh2Gg

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

he might've been trying to do his game in a relaxed manner that exposes most of his flaws so that the teacher can pick up on them better perhaps? Rolling at full intensity might be a bad idea in that context since the teacher would perhaps have to think more about what he's going to have to do and at the same time pay attention to what the guy is loving up? I don't know, the input of more experienced would be welcome.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
That does make sense.

But also, I mean, there are some instances where I didn't see any kind of submission escape or defenses, like halfway through where he gets his back taken and just sorta... lets the choke happen.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bubba Smith posted:

That does make sense.

But also, I mean, there are some instances where I didn't see any kind of submission escape or defenses, like halfway through where he gets his back taken and just sorta... lets the choke happen.

maybe once he got in the bad position he though ''eh, gently caress it, I shouldnt've let the guy get this far, might as well tap instead of trying to survive for a minute out of our six minute roll''.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Only thing that was stand out is that he extends his arms out and pushes a lot when his guard was passed and the teacher punishes this a few times in the roll. Also he doesn't appear to know what to do in turtle except cover up and pray so he gets punished every time he goes there.

I'm just a dumb blue belt who talks about stuff on a dead gay comedy forum so I dunno anything.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I thought he was incredibly flat on his back too and didn't seem to know any basic escape from knee on belly and his turtle/back defense was...lol

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Actually, while we are on the subject, I've got a very hard time using the turtle as a tool. What videos or ideas could I implement to use it better?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Actually, while we are on the subject, I've got a very hard time using the turtle as a tool. What videos or ideas could I implement to use it better?

Eduardo Telles is the turtle guard master. Do with it what you want. Not really a position I want to spend any time if I can avoid it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Turtle can be fun and can surprise people if you take the right chances that set up other escapes.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Use it as a path to your guard of choice?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There's a bunch of options from turtle. What ever you do sitting there and buttoning up is the worst thing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That purp reminded me of some of the rudimentary things i, a blue belt w 3 years training, still do. He looked awful.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
You attack their arms from turtle, like Sakuraba :black101:

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/How-to-Use-the-Kimura-from-the-Turtle-Position-in-BJJ-a-Tutorial

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 2, 2017

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Turtle is awesome because it's one of the few ground positions that's common to almost every kind of grappling. There are great submissions from there in Judo, wrestling is FULL of reversals from bottom, and there are obviously ways to use it to get back your guard in BJJ. You can develop a really diverse bag of tricks by going outside of the standard BJJ techniques.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You would not believe the number of people who cannot prevent you from just standing up. A lot of people aren't prepared to attack if you aren't trying to reguard. There are sit throughs and single legs of all kinds.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Are any of you pajama hugging enthusiasts watching the IBJJF Worlds? Black belts start this afternoon.

Also, this has to be the best way to get a brown belt:

http://www.flograppling.com/article/57066-lightweight-wins-absolute-gold-at-worlds-beats-three-ultra-heavyweights#.WTML_xMrJ-U

"Jonnatas Gracie (no relation to the famous family) of Atos -- who won lightweight gold -- took out the gold, silver and bronze medalists from the ultra heavyweight division during his run at absolute gold. He also beat medium heavyweight silver medalist Andre Wiltse."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You would not believe the number of people who cannot prevent you from just standing up. A lot of people aren't prepared to attack if you aren't trying to reguard. There are sit throughs and single legs of all kinds.

I learned a few of these and pretty much if I can use the go to knees escape I'm either free, on top, or submitting the other guy with few exceptions. It's totally worth it to learn a few of these.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

These videos are pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIHc2CtuXKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBNNOEOaBY

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The purple belt may not be the most skilled but nothing in particular suggests to me that he is overranked. He's definitely not a senior purple belt but a skilled opponent can make you look super dumb even if normally you do well against people around your skill level. A lot of stuff you may think he should do may be subtly blocked by the black belt. It's sometimes hard to see pressure and balance and control from a youtube video. I am uncertain why they would show a dominating roll against a visitor and place it on youtube. Seems a little obnoxious.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

omg chael crash posted:

My brother(a two stripe white belt I think?) just moved to NYC and wants to train at Renzo's. How would you say the school is for people of his level? He's torn between that or Marcelo's. I've trained at your joint the few times I've been through town and it looked beginner friendly but I'm a long way past white belt so I can't really judge.
The school is pretty excellent for people of his level but so is Marcelo's. Have him drop by both places and train then make a decision. Also before he makes any decision, send me a PM and I'll send you my personal information and I can give him a tour of our school in the morning and he can train in the morning with us. I can also speak with a lot more candor in person than on line. Both places are excellent and there is no wrong decision. People seem to gravitate on way or another on the basis of (1) do you want to be a no gi submssion or MMA competitor -> Renzos or (2) do you want to be an IBJJF gi competitor -> Marcelos. But that shouldn't matter at the lower levels. The schools cultures are a bit different but we can get into that later. If your bro has only trained outside of NYC, I will have to note that one thing about our school in particular is that we're super NYC culturally. We do a lot of friendly ball busting and poo poo talking. Odddzy can give a better perspective of an outsider who has visited.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I like training with a gi and I don't think the outfit itself is the problem, but as I try to sit through the World Championships, I find myself thinking that Eddie Bravo was right about the rest. Twelve mats of people simultaneously riding their advantages to the buzzer is a lousy way to showcase the best Jiu Jitsu.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Leandro Lo matches are the epitome of what you/Eddie Bravo are talking about.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

JaySB posted:

Leandro Lo matches are the epitome of what you/Eddie Bravo are talking about.

Yeah. He seems to take great pride in gaming the rules to the maximum degree so that he can win without without anything resembling "submission grappling" happening.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

omg chael crash posted:

My brother(a two stripe white belt I think?) just moved to NYC and wants to train at Renzo's.

Yuns posted:

I'd go with what Yuns says, your brother should try out a few places just to make sure he likes the vibe of the place he want to go train at but for me, the vibe of the place fit fine. I have no idea how serious he is about BJJ but people are helpful and the class keeps going after it ends. lots of the instructors from other schools dropping in on the mornings stay for a while longer and help out with privates and stuff to help people training for competitions and stuff. It's definitely beginner friendly.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

We're east coasters(Philadelphia) so we're pretty open to getting our balls busted.

That being said, I don't have PMs so I'm not sure how I get you in contact with him

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 4, 2017

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

He said he went to Renzo's, Marcelo's, and Clockwork and grabbed schedules. For what I understand, the schedule at Renzo's fits him best

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Marcelo is an amazing instructor and is legit one of the nicest people you will ever meet, I'd heartily recommend training with him in any capacity

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

omg chael crash posted:

We're east coasters(Philadelphia) so we're pretty open to getting our balls busted.

That being said, I don't have PMs so I'm not sure how I get you in contact with him
Do you have an secondary email address that you don't mind putting up here for a few? I'll email you if you do.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 4, 2017

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

You can delete the email address now. I got it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Yuns posted:

You can delete the email address now. I got it.

I had him email you from his personal account. Thanks guys

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

With only 2 active mats, both with commentary, today is much more watchable coverage for IBJJF Worlds. Also, some good matches. Bruno Malfaicne just had a pretty rad finish.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Leandro Lo just won a quarterfinal by referees decision 0-0 on points and 1-1 on advantages

:tootzzz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I like the singular focus of Bernardo Faria. Over-under pass all day. If it works, mounted triangle next.