Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Hillary should write a book of cocktail recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Prorat posted:

He's not right and global warming is only a thing because of his propaganda which only exists because he spent millions on pushing it.

This chicken little nonsense "we are all gonna die!" You are fine, the planet is fine. In 30 years we are all gonna be 60 years old on this stupid forum, still be using coal/natural gas/oil and the Earth will be exactly how it is.

you're a loving retard

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

basic hitler posted:

you're a loving retard

He's right though, most of us will most likely be fine in our parent's basements.. A lot of people will be super hosed up, but we'll inherit our basements damnit!!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the water table is too high here to build a basement but since potable water and most regional aquifers will become depleted we can indeed inherit basements soon enough

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

gore must be more influential than i thought if he managed to convince 98 percent of the worlds scientists of a global phenomenon with only a few million dollars

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

basic hitler posted:

the water table is too high here to build a basement but since potable water and most regional aquifers will become depleted we can indeed inherit basements soon enough

Look at this guy who doesnt live in the land of 10,000 lakes. :smug:

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Wasn't al gores dad owner of a zinc smelting company or something? It's exactly that baby boomer mentality of "gently caress you, got mine, why can't you get yours you lazy kids?"

(It's because they took it all already)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

berth ell pup posted:

Wasn't al gores dad owner of a zinc smelting company or something? It's exactly that baby boomer mentality of "gently caress you, got mine, why can't you get yours you lazy kids?"

(It's because they took it all already)

Hey Al! Do you mean you watched Bull Connor, THE DEMOCRAT? Is that the Bull Connor you watched turn hoses on civil rights demonstrators?

What’s that? You heard a lot of racist comments when you were young, Al? Were they from the mouth of your dad, Al Gore, Sr.? After a quick Google search, I found out that Al Gore, Sr. voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 when he was a Democratic U.S. Senator from Tennessee. Not only did he vote against it, he participated in a 74 day filibuster in an attempt to delay and weaken the legislation.

BY THE TIME the younger Gore was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives, the Gore relationship with Hammer had already begun to transfer from father to son. In the 1960s, Gore informed Hammer that zinc ore had been discovered near the Gore farm in Smith County, Tenn. Hammer, who owned Occidental Minerals (a subsidiary of Occidental Petroleum), bought the land for $160,000, twice the only other offer. But after buying the land, Hammer made a strange decision at least from a business standpoint. Rather than mine the zinc-rich land, he offered instead to let Gore buy it from him. Then, once ownership transferred to Gore, Occidental starting paying Gore $20,000 per year for the mineral rights to mine it. After the first payment, Gore Sr. sold the land to his son for $140,000. Gore has received a $20,000 check in the mail almost every year since.

Perhaps even more astounding than Hammer’s decision to sell the land and pay royalties is that Occidental never actually mined the land. In 1985, Gore began leasing the land to Union Zinc, Inc., a competitor of Occidental. Gore still receives $20,000 a year in royalties. In all, the Hammer-engineered sweetheart deal has put hundreds of thousands of dollars in profits in Gore’s pocket.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

JB50 posted:

when fresh water becomes scarce i have a strong feeling that land will be u.s. soil inside a year of the first water riots

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

basic hitler posted:

when fresh water becomes scarce i have a strong feeling that land will be u.s. soil inside a year of the first water riots

Wut?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you mean canada right? i'm saying there's like no chance that place doesn't become US territory if water becomes a scarce resource. like Fallout but instead of oil, water.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

basic hitler posted:

you mean canada right? i'm saying there's like no chance that place doesn't become US territory if water becomes a scarce resource. like Fallout but instead of oil, water.

Minnesota. Close, but not quite Canada.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

JB50 posted:

Minnesota. Close, but not quite Canada.

Holy poo poo, he's right... We've already claimed it!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

Alaska has about 3,197 officially named natural lakes,C[›][1]B[›] out of over 3,000,000 unnamed natural lakes,[2] approximately 67 named artificial reservoirs,C[›][3] and 167 named dams.C[›][4]

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prorat posted:

He's not right and global warming is only a thing because of his propaganda which only exists because he spent millions on pushing it.

This chicken little nonsense "we are all gonna die!" You are fine, the planet is fine. In 30 years we are all gonna be 60 years old on this stupid forum, still be using coal/natural gas/oil and the Earth will be exactly how it is.

fake news

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gore was quite stupid because he distanced himself from billy despite clinton being very popular among dems. if he had clinton out there stumping for him jeb wouldn't have been able to steal the election in florida.

he really was hillary before hillary.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Prorat posted:

but things will never change in MY lifetime! - posted by an idiot on the internet a few short years after it's creation

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

Land of 10,000 hot takes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
climate activism is virtue signalling

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Pfft...caring about your children's futures. You're just trying to make people like you!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like how right wingers are such broken people that they don't think anyone could care about anything but themselves so it's gotta all be for show.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there are lots of bona fide environmental causes. "climate" isn't one. It's just the postmodern expression of slaughtering a calf to make the crops thrive.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 3, 2017

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Gazpacho posted:

there are lots of bona fide environmental causes. "climate" isn't one. It's just the postmodern expression of slaughtering a calf to make the crops thrive.

Trying way too hard. Too many syllables. Grammar is too consistent. Try again.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

funnily enough cattle farming is one of the causes of climate change

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

VideoTapir posted:

Pfft...caring about your children's futures. You're just trying to make people like you!
if you were to succeed in leaving your children an 18th century standard of living (the only way to meet greenhouse emission targets) they would curse your name

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gazpacho posted:

if you were to succeed in leaving your children an 18th century standard of living (the only way to meet greenhouse emission targets) they would curse your name

We should leave them a mad max wasteland instead good point

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

if you were to succeed in leaving your children an 18th century standard of living (the only way to meet greenhouse emission targets)

This is blatantly false and also really stupid, I'm really not sure why it persists as an argument.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Gazpacho posted:

This feels a little like virtue signaling.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"You're virtue signaling! You're virtue signaling!" I scream as I slowly shrink and transform into a registered non voter

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Stexils posted:

funnily enough cattle farming is one of the causes of climate change

Man, people don't want to hear this. I don't want to hear this.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

"You're virtue signaling! You're virtue signaling!" I scream as I slowly shrink and transform into a registered non voter

When I was a kid, we just called it, "posturing."

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

When I was a kid, we just called it, "posturing."

virtue signalling has an element of good intentions, like trying to make the world a better place but going about it in a way that prioritizes making you feel good about what you're doing and convincing yourself that you must be helping even if you're really just being a sanctimonious prick

at least i think it should be used that way

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

phasmid posted:

Man, people don't want to hear this. I don't want to hear this.

I think pigs are worse than cows if it helps

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

"Virtue signalling" is a useful and valid concept that had been rammed into the ground by shitheads.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Virtue signaling is always a worse term to use than actually explaining​ yourself.

I have to say that until "fake news", neither side really noticed how lovely it is to make up new buzzwords every day and hope they become hashtags, I remember articles proposing new ones and poo poo. Just keep making new words up to shut others out of your incrowd that fit in a tweet.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

This feels a little like virtue signaling.

I agree, the only way to save the planet is to let China continue to exponentially increase their emissions

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Virtue signaling is always a worse term to use than actually explaining​ yourself.

I have to say that until "fake news", neither side really noticed how lovely it is to make up new buzzwords every day and hope they become hashtags, I remember articles proposing new ones and poo poo. Just keep making new words up to shut others out of your incrowd that fit in a tweet.

Fake News was real funny though because it immediately boomeranged on its creators because glass houses, stones, etc.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I agree, the only way to save the planet is to let China continue to exponentially increase their emissions

This is the essence of the greenhouse gas problem: someone is going to have to pay via massively decreased energy consumption (and thereby decreased production, standard of living, etc.), and pretty much nobody is going to be the one to gently caress themselves for the benefit of ungrateful strangers who will then turn around and gently caress them some more with their competitive advantages

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

virtue signalling has an element of good intentions, like trying to make the world a better place but going about it in a way that prioritizes making you feel good about what you're doing and convincing yourself that you must be helping even if you're really just being a sanctimonious prick

at least i think it should be used that way
i think it was originally about this moralistic song-and-dance routine that progressives felt compelled to do whenever talking about anything political. "as a straight white man, i know that i owe a debt to..." it's a kind of argument that starts with this grand opening gesture and often seemed to be done for self-satisfied and self-involved reasons. or used as a smokescreen for defending the indefensible, like hillary's wall street speeches and the like.

i see the term now used by people on the right to point to any expression of opposing views to be virtue signaling. but i think this reflects an inability of people to see their enemies' "positive" actions as sincere. people think that if their enemies do a "good" thing, then they are faking the "good" part in the service of a sinister (globalist / soros-funded / etc.) agenda.

which was also the problem with the original virtue signaling. if you made an argument, even a progressive argument without doing the "as a [blank]..." song-and-dance routine, then you were treated as being insincere: you haven't checked your privilege. so of course you'd make that argument! you should be silenced!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
JC Clinton

• Locked thread