Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Because PLD has no build up time, has massively more powerful average combo potency, and Holy Spirit is way more powerful than Bloodspiller or Fell Cleave because the only thing it cost is mana that you regen automatically with your massively more powerful combos anyway.

Also that you spend 42 seconds of every minute doing at least 20% more damage, and 30 seconds of every minute doing 30% more damage.

Also, you can shield block literally everything now and shelltron is on a 5s cooldown.

PLD is probably going to be the go-to main tonk, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Gruckles posted:

All the 2.X horses besides Kirin are still grounded. Flying Goobue is also maybe on the table still. Pretty much everything else that made sense to fly has had flying added.

The Goobbue mounts should fly by flapping their noodly arms really fast.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No, the arms should just extend all the way to the ground and walk like that.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

They should fly by spinning their noodle arms around like helicopter blades blowing downwards.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Well poo poo, I was hoping to get one sent to me but I have no idea if anyone I was actually friends with still plays :v:

What was your in game name?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I don't deserve to be punished just because I happen to be the custodian of this lovely hellhole thread

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 4, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

FaintlyQuaint posted:

This post is really amazingly funny in light of PLD being extremely better than both WAR and DRK as of NA/JP info release.

I mean hopefully there was a massive rebalancing in the week or so that we've had since then (or between now and SB launch), but, uh, if nothing changes PLD/whatever is not a PLD will be the new comp for everything.

Yep. WAR and DRK theoretical rotations have them pretty close on potency. If the DRK trick attack thing is real, DRK/PAL will be meta as long as you have a dps that applies slashing.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
The pendulum school of game design.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
This is a good game and I like it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I don't even know what this is about but I guess my avatar was getting kind of old and raggedy anyway

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Truga posted:

Also, you can shield block literally everything now and shelltron is on a 5s cooldown.

PLD is probably going to be the go-to main tonk, yeah.

My PLD's at like 46 and I kind of want to level it up before SB but on the other hand I absolutely don't want to play a job with no damaging aoes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Get it to 50 for Stormblood and then use the newly-added 50-59 armory bonus.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

vOv posted:

My PLD's at like 46 and I kind of want to level it up before SB but on the other hand I absolutely don't want to play a job with no damaging aoes.

iirc 46 is exactly the level when paladins get the physical AoE in 4.0 so you're at the perfect time to wait

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

can i get an aV pleaseeeeeeeeeee

no

also chiming in to say most of the SB areas look really dull. I'm hoping they're hiding the cool stuff because what they've shown thus far isn't very impressive.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 4, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i do not think paladin is going to do more damage than warrior, and if it does square enix is Very Dumb. but I do not think it will happen.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i do not think paladin is going to do more damage than warrior, and if it does square enix is Very Dumb. but I do not think it will happen.

PLD without ever hitting FoF or Requiescat is almost 10% ahead of WAR and DRK. :)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

PLD being even competitive and also being able to block any tank buster with shelltron will make them the meta MT. They're just ridiculous for it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
my hats off to the brave soldier keeping the dream of fracture alive

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

PLD being even competitive and also being able to block any tank buster with shelltron will make them the meta MT. They're just ridiculous for it.

Shelltron still only guarantees a physical block, but magic damage in general can be blocked.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

panda clue posted:

no

also chiming in to say most of the SB areas look really dull. I'm hoping they're hiding the cool stuff because what they've shown thus far isn't very impressive.

I liked the one dungeon they've shown so far.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

FaintlyQuaint posted:

PLD without ever hitting FoF or Requiescat is almost 10% ahead of WAR and DRK. :)

over what period of time? i don't know how much the paladin damage numbers for their combos got tweaked but requesciat gives you a six-holy spirit window, each of which is doing less damage than a fell cleave buffed by nothing other than berserk.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Farg posted:

my hats off to the brave soldier keeping the dream of fracture alive

Fracture will never die.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I missed that ForF was previewed as a 30 seconds duration with a 60 CD :v: I was somewhat distracted thinking up Offtank PLD shenanigans. With Royal Authority comboing off of Riot Blade you've got steady Mana regen to do Holy Spirit smackdowns like OT War's do Fell Cleave bursts now :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I for one am looking forward to my WHM damage going to nothing if only because it means 99% of pubbie tanks will no longer have reasons to scream at me about REEEE HOW DARE YOU NOT BE IN CLERIC STANCE followed by REEEEE HOW DARE YOU BE IN CLERIC STANCE I AM BEING EVER SO SLIGHTLY DAMAGED BY AN ADD.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I suspect the aim is for PLD to have slightly better or equal sustained damage but for WAR to have better burst damage. They probably want more towards equal though, if the numbers shake out the way people are saying, PLD will probably eat some nerfs to bring them in line, or WAR potencies will be bumped up a bit. Dunno what their aim is for DRK though. Middle ground in burst between PLD and WAR with some kind of utility to make up the difference?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I actually do want to start playing again but I know I'm just gonna burn out just in time for SB release if I do.

I wonder if RDM is going to come with any starting gear when it's unlocked. I've long since thrown away the vast majority of my leveling gear, and all of my INT gear for sure.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
All the heavensward jobs start with level 30 gear, so I don't see why the Stormblood jobs wouldn't give you a starter set.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Gizmo Chicken posted:

All the heavensward jobs start with level 30 gear, so I don't see why the Stormblood jobs wouldn't give you a starter set.

You got a weapon, chest and pants. That was it. Everything else you had to snag for yourself.

So we'll at least get that much!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kazinsal posted:

I for one am looking forward to my WHM damage going to nothing if only because it means 99% of pubbie tanks will no longer have reasons to scream at me about REEEE HOW DARE YOU NOT BE IN CLERIC STANCE followed by REEEEE HOW DARE YOU BE IN CLERIC STANCE I AM BEING EVER SO SLIGHTLY DAMAGED BY AN ADD.

WHM damage is going up, especially in comparison to the other healers.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The firecrest does exist.

Only after a fourth clear involving more chimera trains than I'd like to deal with.

The wall is your only friend in PotD 151+.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

EponymousMrYar posted:

You got a weapon, chest and pants. That was it. Everything else you had to snag for yourself.

So we'll at least get that much!

Oh. I thought you got a full set for some reason. My bad.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fracture will never die.

And the forums are better because of fracture.

On another note, I too was looking forward to playing SAM - but with the MCH changes, I think I might continue to live my Balthier / Mustadio fantasy. I picked this up when Heavensward was on sale last year, dropped it and then picked it up again these last few months. I use to play a shitton of WoW, but FFXIV is so, so much better.

I just hit 57 and still have a little bit to go to finish out the 3.0 story, but with any luck I should hit 60 by the middle of next week when I have a couple days off work. I just hit the point where a certain character bites the dust, the Heavens Ward's plan is semi-revealed, and almighty jesus just when I think this story can't hit me in the feels it does.

As opposed to WoW, where I could give a gently caress if Thrall does whatever the gently caress he does.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What are the MCH changes?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

This 4.0 SCH rotation sure is engaging and great. I can't wait. http://ffxivrotations.com/qhm (Replace some broils with Ruin + Energy Drain presumably).

:shepicide:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

No more cast times. :v:

Also a bunch of other stuff, but that's the most dramatic one I guess. Wildfire's down to only a ten second debuff, there's a "heat" mechanic that builds up as you use skills with gauss barrel on and affects various things, ammo maxes out at three now, the various stuns and snares and such are now role abilities rather than job skills... you'll probably wanna find a website with a better list, or just mess around a bit once it's live.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

Cast times are gone, Ammo is down to 3 and there's a new Heat mechanic tied to Gauss Barrel where you build heat up and keep it in the 50-100 range, since that gives you Heated Split, Slug and Clean shots which are higher potency than normal. Once you hit 100 heat you get a 20% damage buff for like, 20 seconds and then you lose Gauss Barrel and it goes on a 10 sec cooldown.

Also Wildfire is only a 10 second duration but your shots are getting out faster so reh. Turrets still have their hypercharge buffs although now you can overload them for a high potency attack (Rook's like, 400 IIRC) but that wrecks the turret for a duration.

Also also more sick kick flipping shooting gun animations.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Asimo posted:

No more cast times. :v:

Also a bunch of other stuff, but that's the most dramatic one I guess. Wildfire's down to only a ten second debuff, there's a "heat" mechanic that builds up as you use skills with gauss barrel on and affects various things, ammo maxes out at three now, the various stuns and snares and such are now role abilities rather than job skills... you'll probably wanna find a website with a better list, or just mess around a bit once it's live.

I think a nice QOL change is also simply that you won't have Raging Strikes, Hawk's Eye, and Blood for Blood to time with everything out.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

The big one is that Gauss Barrel is no longer going to cause cast timers, and also there's a new Heat mechanic, but I think that only kicks in for post-60 stuff.

If you want more details, then here's a video that could and should have just been some drat screenshots.

The role changes are in this other video, which I have linked right to the relevant time stamp for ranged DPS.

The job gauge and the attendant Heat mechanic are at this last video, which can be summarized as "you only get three bullets instead of five now," and "Gauss Barrel gives you a Heat Gauge, when your gun gets too hot it deals extra damage, at 64 then Split, Slug, and Clean Shot all power up when your gun is hot."

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

over what period of time? i don't know how much the paladin damage numbers for their combos got tweaked but requesciat gives you a six-holy spirit window, each of which is doing less damage than a fell cleave buffed by nothing other than berserk.

Over a period of time equal to forever. Their combos are weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

nuru posted:

I think a nice QOL change is also simply that you won't have Raging Strikes, Hawk's Eye, and Blood for Blood to time with everything out.

I'm at the point where I leveled Ninja then did a sudden switch to MCH when I hit Heavensward content, but haven't leveled many other classes due to just wanting to hit max level ASAP and burn through the story. Already, though - I have 3 bars full of skills and was dredding the task of adding more. I'm glad I won't have to worry too much about that since Stormblood is just around the corner.

As well, hitting the point where I unlocked Gauss barrel made the MCH feel a little clunky to me until I got use to it, but I normally stay away from caster classes in MMOs and was a little bummed out when MCH felt just like one.

• Locked thread