Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Corbeau posted:

The real winners are us, who didn't have to play this game at all.

Corbeau posted:

Corbeau posted:

Corbeau posted:

We will pour one out for your personal lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Corbeau posted:

not an emptyquote

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Corbeau posted:

Not an emptyquote, but also: worth it, this game is worth it friends..

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Glazius posted:

Is it possible to put so many units in a province they can't all participate in combat?

You can probably crash a battle with too many units, I know I've had that happen before. Somewhere around 2000 units or more the game has trouble handling it and will be likely to crash on turn processing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hahahahahahahaha, holy poo poo, that was amazing :allears:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Corbeau posted:

:stat: :wal: The real winners are us, who didn't have to play this game at all.

I'm so glad this post ended the page, and hopefully it will get to be the title of the thread for whatever poor sap decides to make the next LP.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm so glad this post ended the page, and hopefully it will get to be the title of the thread for whatever poor sap decides to make the next LP.

Pretty much. Goddamned this LP is fantastic, as are all the participants.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Now this was the most impressive battle I didn't see in-game myself. Nice surprise!

For my own part of this LP, I'm trying my best to get back into the swing of things and made commentary for 5 videos at once yesterday. Now I'm rendering and uploading them one-by one. Caelum Turn 83 will be finished in about half an hour.

The bad news is, that's about it until the next weekend. No way in hell will I have the time to do this during the work week. (By the way, including cutting, rendering and uploading, those 5 videos represent 7 hours of work. Yeah, way back when I started this, I totally underestimated the amount of work a video Let's Play would make. :shepface:)

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Sweet jesus that is a lot of mages :stare:

That's some top tier Dominions Bullshit. carefully crafting a gigantic special army and kitting it out with all the cool toys and scripting all the best spells and buffs. . . . And then watching it just absolutely rip itself to shreds with offscript shenanigans.

How are u posted:

If you enjoyed seeing how communions hosed up spectacularly in this battle then know that there's a very special, communion-focused game or two that will start in the next few days!

Also, I really hope someone'll be documenting this game for the LP forum. A game of all blood and/or astral nations sounds crazy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: CNN presents :frogsiren:

Caelum Turn 83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8WSwUYKD40

A communion of mages is broken by sheer numbers and a Golem proves: Numbers aren't everything.

Older turns

Koriar
Apr 22, 2010
I woke my fiancee up with my reaction to that army. I think this is officially my favorite Dom4 LP.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Caelum Turn 84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G--Gbj7iPas

In which Anti-Golem plans are developed.

Take a step back

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
How is Utterdark affecting Caelum and why are there no Caelum globals up?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's far too late in the game for this, but Mammoths do very well in Darkness since it's a massive debuff to the primary defense against trample. That's, uh, more an early-midgame strategy though rather than one that will work if it's Utterdark.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flavius Belisarius posted:

How is Utterdark affecting Caelum and why are there no Caelum globals up?

I think in one of the five videos I'm preparing I actually talk about the reason for me not having any globals up. (The answer is I'm poo poo at playing Dominions 4)

And I will talk at length about Utterdark and its influence on Caelum about ten turns/videos from now. Which, if I can keep up the pace of 5 videos per week means this video will be posted on the weekend starting June 17th. So have patience, the answers are on their way!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Caelum Turn 85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJTUHdvSt5s

Back to the last turn

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Where are you from in the world, by the way, Libluini? I can't place the accent.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If I had to guess.... Germany?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Where are you from in the world, by the way, Libluini? I can't place the accent.

It's in my profile, but to spare you the click, it's Hanover, capital of Lower Saxony. That's one of the northern states of our fine German republic.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 100

Turn 100 begins with taking a deep breath, because holy poo poo we made it to turn 100! Most games of Dominions 4 do not hit turn 100, but the Mo’Money ruleset is conducive to stretching things out, plus the Throne victory conditions require around 70% of all of the Thrones on the map [Ed: I have come to realize that this is madness]. Well, when this game started my initial goal was to survive into the 30s, so I am extremely pleased to not only be alive and relevant in the late-late-game, but, surprisingly, in a position to contest the victory! As I mentioned last time the next six to eight turns are going to be pivotal, so let’s see how turn 100 goes!

Turn 100 begins with casting all of the usual poo poo. We summon Worms, we summon as many Vampire Lords as we can afford (6), Siege Golems, Demons of various types, Green Lions, and more. One new thing this turn is that we successfully cast Infernal Disease at Bogarus’ gently caress-off doomstack several times. Here’s what a Disease Demon assassination looks like:

Take that!

Disease Demons are nasty customers. They’re probably -the- premier assassination vector in the game, both because of the ridiculously cheap cost (5 Blood Slaves!!), and because the assassin itself is a beefy mother-fucker.

We hurled six Greater Horrors at Bogarus once again, and here’s what happened:

Yeah, disappointing, but seriously there is -no- way we can ever replicate what happened last turn. I’ve put over 1100 hours [Ed: 1309 now] of playtime into Dominions 4 (thanks, Steam) and I’ve never seen a Communion self-destruct like it did a turn ago. What we’re doing with these Horrors right now is basically forcing Bogarus’ army to waste a poo poo-load of battlefield gems casting massive buffs and spells to defend against nothing. Once we get Candles on Escuania we’ll probably even order an attack, but I won’t risk anything until then.

We fight a bunch of battles against Pangaea. Pan is still staling, so they’re very one-sided and uninteresting. This is fun, though. Take a look at how loving dangerous and hard-hitting our Se’irim are once they’ve gone Berserk:

28 strength is hardcore, bro.

And, because they’re Demons, their stats are unaffected by Darkness. That Attack score of 18 is monstrous against any unit that doesn’t have Darkvision (or is a Demon or Undead).

Our Golems do their cool thing:

We ping Bogarus’ fort in The Forgotten Woods and see what’s inside:

Interesting. We’re going to move a bunch of Vampire Lords over, loaded with Blood Slaves, and try to Hellbind Heart that King of Magma and that Treelord. Why not, right?

We storm the Pangaen fort in Stinging Swamp, the siege we moved our new Seraph to several turns ago:

Whose that at the back of our army?

Look at how badass and beautiful our Seraph is on the field, what a gorgeous piece of destructive hardware. I’m just really happy to be using it, because you very rarely ever see units so expensive used in a normal game of Dominion 4. Also, note the six incredibly resilient Worm Mages standing nearby:

Why, it's our Seraph!

The defenders of the fort are comprised of a Pan and a dozen or so Dryads, plus 30-odd Centaur:

Not for long!

Large Beetles from the Worm Mages clog the entrance, boxing the centaur inside the fort gate.

I scripted Kushiel to cast Mass Flight, now we have Flying Gibborim:

Now with Flying!

Surprise!

I -forgot- to script Kushiel to “Cast Spells” once his script ran out, and it decided it would be far more fun to fly straight into the fortress and begin smiting Dryads in hand-to-hand combat:

:fuckoff:

Our Enchanted Forests global triggered attacks in various provinces around the world. We hit Caelum, Bogarus, and Pangaea, defeating province defense in several locations. Vine Men proved inadequate to defeat robust Pangaean defense, however. I’ve come to learn that Pangaea has some really robust PD!

Satyr do just fine against lovely vine men.

Our Deep Cut into Pangea continues. We’re penetrating further into Pannish territory on both sides of our Empire. We’re pinging a few forts this turn, including Pan’s fort in the province of Mark, in which lies one of his Thrones. I am -pretty- sure that Caelum has just come to realize that Pangaea is chain-staling, at least Libluini sent us a message on IRC wondering what the hell was going on. I expect Caelum to begin chomping at the corpse that is Pangaea within a turn or two, so our head-start will soon be over.

We've taken a ton of free Pangaean territory in the East.

And we continue hungrily in the far West.

We’re throwing more Horrors at Bogarus, moving Vampires to the province with the Treelord and King of Magma, and otherwise just holding tight. We’re not committing substantial forces without white Candles, no matter how badly Ramc wants a big dumb fight. Ramc is Good, and Cunning, and if he managed a decisive victory or two he might become more invested in the game and subsequently play better. Don’t worry, we’ll soon be entering the Final War, the War to End All Wars.

Speaking of Horrors, check out all of the little Independent flags indicating where Horror Seeds have exploded, manifesting Horrors which have attacked Bogarussian provinces. It took like 20+ turns but the spell sort of works!

Take a look at this Caelan army one of our Scouts caught in the field:

Libluini’s clearly been planning to transition to a fully Undead army for a while now. We can see a bunch of Corpse Constructs, Longdead, Wights, and the army is commanded by the Daeva of Aging. The Daeva of Aging is a Caelum national summon, and from what I can remember is an extremely high level Death mage. We’ll try to keep an eye on this army, it may soon be time to start Horror Seeding our good friend and ally Caelum.

Last, but definitely not least, we’re going to look at some score graphs! It’s turn 100, so it’s a great time to pause and look at charts. Recall that we have that magic site that reveals mundane graphs, so we can even get some good information out of it. First we have the Province graph:

:wow: Well, friend, it looks like we are the largest nation in the game. Tearing a great, gaping, blood chunk out of Pangaea grew our Empire tremendously, and we’re only going to get bigger. We’ll skip the Forts graph and go to Income:

See if you can guess when Bogarus cast Utterdark. Pangaea’s income is so much higher than everyone else’s purely because of the massive gold boost he gets from Celestial Rainbow. Let’s check Gem Income:

I’m pretty sure that we’re now pulling in more -raw- gem income than anybody else. Bogarus still probably owns hundreds and hundreds of Firebirds that are potentially generating a massive, off the books gem income that won’t show up on the graph. Still, we’re doing really loving well. Let’s see Dominion strength:

We’re doing great once again. I can pretty confidently predict that we have the strongest Dominion in the game at this point, and we have -zero- reason to stop pushing it. Even if Caelum threatened to declare war next turn I’m not sure that I’d throttle out Dom-pushing one bit. Finally we have the best graph; Army Size:

Army size is actually interesting this time! Look at how horrendously Utterdark has affected Pangaea, Bogarus, and Caelum. Their mundane armies of recruited troops have cratered. Our armies, on the other hand, were firstly built primarily of Sacreds (which do not desert), and then we transitioned to building armies of summons (again no desertion). Our military forces in the field have actually weathered Utterdark better than anybody else in the game!

Next turn: Bleeding the Beast-Men.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So how are we celebrating Turn 100 in Gath?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sacrifice Virgins, Summon Vamps, Goats, and Worms.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Green Intern posted:

Sacrifice Virgins, Summon Vamps, Goats, and Worms.

pinky_and_the_brain.gif

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How are u posted:

See if you can guess when Bogarus cast Utterdark. Pangaea’s income is so much higher than everyone else’s purely because of the massive gold boost he gets from Celestial Rainbow. Let’s check Gem Income:

As far as I'm aware, Celestial Rainbow's generated gold is also off-the-books (it shows up as an event each turn), so this isn't actually the reason why.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lord Koth posted:

As far as I'm aware, Celestial Rainbow's generated gold is also off-the-books (it shows up as an event each turn), so this isn't actually the reason why.
Well that's interesting. What could be causing it? A bunch of high-powered gold-generating sites?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There one way to find out :black101:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

PurpleXVI posted:

So how are we celebrating Turn 100 in Gath?

Huddling in the dark to hide from the vampires. Since the lightning stopped striking the people of Gath there is no longer any illumination at all as they slowly starve to death without the gift of health.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Have there ever been a multiplayer Doms game where the world was not reduced to a hosed to death pile of burning poo poo by the end of it? I imagine it would take an "environmentalist" game where certain global/provincial damaging spells are banned, but even then the world would still be plagued with blood sacrifice, vampires, demons and horrors from the void.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Broken Box posted:

Have there ever been a multiplayer Doms game where the world was not reduced to a hosed to death pile of burning poo poo by the end of it? I imagine it would take an "environmentalist" game where certain global/provincial damaging spells are banned, but even then the world would still be plagued with blood sacrifice, vampires, demons and horrors from the void.

It's one of the cool thematic elements of the game, with the general byline that 'war between deities would be HORRIFIC', but it's entirely possible for a game to reach a winning state before things get too worked over, especially with the introduction of the Thrones system.

Prior to Thrones, in earlier iterations of the game, the only way to win was to be the last Pretender standing, so instead of having the possibility of a few swift Throne caps cementing their ascendancy, any game that actually made it to an endgame state would virtually guarantee at least one if not several losing Pretenders Wishing for Armageddon, diseasing and aging the whole world at an incredible pace, tainting the very fabric of magic with blood corruption so that horrors start attacking absolutely any sign of magic anywhere, blotting out the sun with Utterdark, sacrificing thousands to grease the wheels of demon-summoning war industries, etc.

In the background material, several factions are explicitly opposed to global devastation in some sense, valuing either the land or its people as core cultural ideas, but that doesn't stop most of them from loving it all up in practice regardless because as people keep pointing out, when the war is on to become God, virtually any measure is defensible since if you gain omnipotence, you could just fix things how you please. In many cases, 'fixing' things means slaughtering the rest of the living to rule over a kingdom of the dead, rending everyone's sanity, or choking civilization under a wave of murderous plant life, prior to feeling some astral tug to an unknown elsewhere and leaving behind your broken kingdom for the cycle to begin anew.

It kind of really loving sucks to be a dirt farmer nobody in the world of Dominions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Caelum Turn 86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18z3RQZM--g

This was the turn where my last commentary session slowly ran out of steam. In case you're wondering why I sound like I'm recording the audio from my death bed.

Last turn

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It kind of really loving sucks to be a dirt farmer nobody in the world of Dominions.

Or Conquest of Elysium, where the best case scenario is being drafted to stand guard over your formerly defenseless home...and the worst cases are innumerable.

I bet any artwork depicting scenes from the end of an ascension war is indistinguishable from a metal album cover.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Broken Box posted:

The point of "plot" of Dominions is the War of Assenction causes the literal apocalypse, and frankly the gods don't care because they're just there to either win or die.

Anticheese posted:

Or Conquest of Elysium, where the best case scenario is being drafted to stand guard over your formerly defenseless home...and the worst cases are innumerable.

I bet any artwork depicting scenes from the end of an ascension war is indistinguishable from a metal album cover.

Someones really should do a Conquest of Elysium LP. I've been told it's basically if you played a province commander instead of a Pretender.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone did do one a while back. I don't think it ever got finished though.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

goatface posted:

Someone did do one a while back. I don't think it ever got finished though.

Yeah, it died really quickly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's been a successful single player CoE LP. He played through four different nations.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

senrath posted:

Yeah, it died really quickly.

Much like my attempts at playing the game. :v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 101

Turn 101 begins normally. We summon creatures, forge items, and reap blood slaves. We also hurled several Greater Horrors and sent five Disease Demons at Bogarus’ big ol’army once again. The Disease Demons kill several Astrapelagists and Occultists, but the fifth demon fails in his task:

Foolish and incompetent demon!

Dang! It looks like this is one of Bogarus’ beefed-up Starets mages, probably the one that’s casting Master Enslave! He’s got an Ether Warrior for a bodyguard. Ether Warriors are extremely expensive, high level Conjuration summons, though they’re really quite tough:

Ok actually this guy is insane.

And that is a beefy-rear end bodyguard.

I’d have loved to have successfully assassinated that mage, maybe we’ll get lucky another time.

The Horrors we hurled at Bogarus’ army in Escuania find…nothing but PD:

These guys got mulched!

It looks like Bogarus moved his doom-stack, but to where?

!

Ah, I see. Ramc is taking the fight to us, hoping to force a real battle. The doom-stack advances into our province of Boggiton:

The mega-army shambles towards us!

The sole defender is a Vampire Lord who had been patrolling the province:

Fight to the last skeleton!

We’re now under siege by a very magically dangerous army. However, we have so many Vampires in our fortress in Boggiton that Bogarus’ army can’t even damage the walls. We’re going to throw some more Horrors at them next turn, and then we’ll figure out a way to kill them all.

We advance deeper and deeper into staling Pangaea’s territory. I’m not documenting all of the battles we won as we continued into new provinces, killed PD, and put fresh forts to siege, but it happens. Remember that Pannish province that was sitting under siege from Horrors that manifested as the result of Horror Seed? I sent a few of our now entirely worthless Issacharite Sages to attack the sieging Horrors, just for fun:

The results of long, sustained Horror Seeding.

What a collection!

Horrors are perfectly happy to murder each other, given the chance, but they get around to slicing up the unfortunate Sages eventually:

For real, you guys? :cripes:

Thank you for your service, sages.

We storm a couple of Pangaean forts, using the same tried and true “mass-Vampires” strategy:

We did ping Pangaea’s fortress in Mark, a Throne province. Take a look at what’s inside:

I don’t have much experience with Draconians, but they look kind of underwhelming. There are dozens of Wind Masters inside as well, which indicates that the Throne in Mark is the Throne of Air. We’re going to storm the fort next turn with a fun little army of Golems, special guest Buer the Goat Sun.

A random event gave us a random item:

The Just Man’s Cross isnt’ something I’d ever forge, I can’t even think of a situation in which it would be useful. We’ll slap it on a random commander.

Next turn we’ll be storming several Pangaean forts and pinging others. We continue to gobble up as much of Pan’s territory as we can. Caelum is beginng to ask me whether “we” are at war with Pangaea now. I’m maintaining silence, neither confirming or denying anything. If Caelum is perceptive he’ll see that we’re making a huge land-grab and going for Thrones, and he’ll declare war on us. I hope he won’t figure this out until its too late.

Moving South, towards Pangaea's capitol.

We're close to joining the two sides of our empire in the North!

We are also storming Bogarus’ fort in The Forgotten Woods with a squad of Vampire Lords set to try and Hellbind Heart the Treelord and King of Elemental Fire inside. Fingers crossed!

Next turn: Many forts; storm them!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Assuming you get all of Pan's thrones before Caelum realizes what's up, how close would that put you to a throne-based victory? And does he have any particularly useful ones for you to exploit?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

Assuming you get all of Pan's thrones before Caelum realizes what's up, how close would that put you to a throne-based victory? And does he have any particularly useful ones for you to exploit?

I haven't really taken the time to do any Throne math at this point, but I definitely sit down and figure it out sometime in the next several turns. If we can take all of Pangaea's Thrones uncontested, though, we'll surely be pretty close to having the points to win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Horrors tearing each other apart in a chaotic frenzy is a fitting sight, though of course that means they're gone.

• Locked thread