Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Trabisnikof posted:

Because any amount of time or effort spent trying to get Californians to move to Texas to vote Democratic is wasted compared to using that effort on GOTV in Texas instead. We don't have unlimited money or volunteers for GOTV.

But that's the same argument that has also dissuaded Democrats from investing in GOTV efforts in Texas at all. Or Arizona, or half a dozen other states that we write off as Republican in spite of their clear political value due to special representation. We try harder and harder to scrounge up votes in a system that is heavily tilted toward conservatives. And whenever the scales get thumbed even more, we shrug and promise to double down and educate - to push voter participation ever higher. But a viable demographic response is staring us in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

But a viable demographic response is staring us in the face.

Convincing enough people to move from blue states to swing Texas isn't a viable political response to anything.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Apoplexy posted:

WTF. Rick Perry is doing the job expected of Secretary of Energy fairly adequately. Not trying to kill the institution outright with incompetence and corruption.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/energys-perry-blast-running-agency-vowed-kill-47806784

WTF.

I'll believe it when he fights for (and gets!) proper funding and doesn't close laboratories.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Data Graham posted:

Sounds like he's just blown away by how "cool" the national labs are.

Like he's climbing into the driver's seat of a big rig and making honking and gear grinding noises

Someone photoshop Perry's face on that loving Trump Truck pic

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

You may as well add Tillerson to the list. State is toothless and barely functioning at the moment.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AbsolutelySane posted:

You may as well add Tillerson to the list. State is toothless and barely functioning at the moment.

I'm not at all sure that's Tillerson's fault, although admittedly that relies on A) the timing of the resignations/sacking of senior employees and B) Hill gossip about him being irritated that Trump's not letting him fill vacancies.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Trabisnikof posted:

Convincing enough people to move from blue states to swing Texas isn't a viable political response to anything.

Texas would take a generation, but eventually it would be utterly fatal to the Republican Party. Places like Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin are much easier targets, and there is already plenty of coastal movement in and out of those states. I should probably stop pumping the idea any further, but right now the biggest issue for liberals isn't convincing more people to vote, it's contesting gerrymandering and special representation directly. There were 2,868,691 more votes for Clinton than for Trump, but the election came down to where 108,496 of them lived.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 4, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The best use of Soro bucks is getting a chem or pharma degree and making drugs for regressives.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

Texas would take a generation, but eventually it would be utterly fatal to the Republican Party. Places like Michigan, Pennsylvania, or New Hampshire are much easier targets, and there is already plenty of coastal movement in and out of those states. I should probably stop pumping the idea any further, but right now the biggest issue for liberals isn't convincing more people to vote, it's contesting gerrymandering and special representation directly. There were 2,868,691 more votes for Clinton than for Trump, but the election came down to where 83,940 of them lived.

Are you imagining people moving to a more conservative state just to vote D because they got a targeted ad on facebook? Are they moving because a volunteer knocked on their door? Are they moving to Pennsylvania to vote Democratic straight ticket because of a meme that they saw on Reddit?

You can't convince enough people to move to a state with laws they probably don't like and keep them voting Democratic once they move just through ads and outreach.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Apoplexy posted:

WTF. Rick Perry is doing the job expected of Secretary of Energy fairly adequately. Not trying to kill the institution outright with incompetence and corruption.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/energys-perry-blast-running-agency-vowed-kill-47806784

WTF.

I can say with my own information from people that it's because he's delegating: he's been listening to the career staff and management there and taking their advice. It's surprising on the outside but on day one I knew he was the best cabinet member in the Trump administration because Perry isn't dumb enough to think he can run the Department without the buy-in of the people under him.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
How did the whole free state movement happen? Aside from being close enough to Boston to support the bunch of moochers those bastards are :argh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blindeye posted:

I can say with my own information from people that it's because he's delegating: he's been listening to the career staff and management there and taking their advice. It's surprising on the outside but on day one I knew he was the best cabinet member in the Trump administration because Perry isn't dumb enough to think he can run the Department without the buy-in of the people under him.

also as lovely as he was before he's still previously a career politician, unlike many of Trump's people

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What are the chances that Secretary of Energy is actually Rick Perry's life goal and everything he has ever done was to lead to the election of the one person who would appoint him to that role.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cheekio posted:

How did the whole free state movement happen? Aside from being close enough to Boston to support the bunch of moochers those bastards are :argh:

Some jackass professor in 2001 went "Hey, it's weird how no libertarians with their total lust for government destruction get elected to office, we should all move to a tiny state and take that bitch over". And a few years later there were a few thousand of them and they had a vote, and New Hampshire beat out Wyoming. There are a lot of reasons they could give for that, but I'm pretty sure it's "Nobody wants to live in Wyoming if they are trying to overthrow the government without a militia, and it's nice being near wider civilization while we try to destroy it.".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not at all sure that's Tillerson's fault, although admittedly that relies on A) the timing of the resignations/sacking of senior employees and B) Hill gossip about him being irritated that Trump's not letting him fill vacancies.

None of it's Tillerson's fault. I think all the resignations happened before he was even confirmed.

That's all Trump. And no one except Trump and Bannon really wants to cut the State Department's budget (or cut it so much) so that shouldn't go anywhere.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Apoplexy posted:

WTF.

It's probably because he sat in a room and listened to how the Department of Energy was super important and if you hosed with it Arizona would be turned into a Fall Out Cosplay due to Nuclear Accidents.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

withak posted:

What are the chances that Secretary of Energy is actually Rick Perry's life goal and everything he has ever done was to lead to the election of the one person who would appoint him to that role.

Turns out Perry was the Littlefinger of this administration all along

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

withak posted:

I think he's a big fan of Electro from the Sinister Six.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Are you imagining people moving to a more conservative state just to vote D because they got a targeted ad on facebook? Are they moving because a volunteer knocked on their door? Are they moving to Pennsylvania to vote Democratic straight ticket because of a meme that they saw on Reddit? You can't convince enough people to move to a state with laws they probably don't like and keep them voting Democratic once they move just through ads and outreach.

Jobs and culture. Advertise in blue cities for work in purple cities and help with relocation costs. Encourage business expansion in these areas and connect municipalities with coastal companies that want to move themselves and their employees to somewhere more affordable. Municipal governments would jump at the chance of helping their economy, and probably would be happy to help with the effort. Counter conservative state reputations by painting the cities as modern, progressive, and cultured. Showcase these places as an attractive alternative to cities with highly competitive job markets, and skyrocketing business and livability costs. History has shown that if you can establish foundational support for bringing groups of new people into an area - connecting them with initial housing, jobs, and a welcoming community - then it makes it much easier to interest people in taking a chance. In many ways, shifting the economy and demographics of a state is much more straightforward than changing the opinions and political engagement of its existing citizenry, because it is less oppositional and more permanent.

The same concept could be extended to encouraging immigration into the United States, and converting more legal residents into citizens - because the demographic changes that are engendered in that effort are far more concrete than trying to pull the strings of American political opinion. And Republicans recognize this: Their desperation to eject people of color from this country is out of a fear of looming political impotency as much as anything else - each POC represents a step forward on the road to white pluralism in the United States.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 4, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Apoplexy posted:

WTF.

Probably someone had a serious sit down with him and asked if he wanted his name to be on the report that mentioned "The (once populated city) Incident."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

help with relocation costs.

Money spent paying people to move would be better spent setting up political infrastructure in those states.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

WTF.

Hah, doe is perry's own aca revelation.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm working off assumptions here, but Secretary of Energy seems like a fairly bipartisan position. Your opinions about abortion and voting rights aren't really relevant to handling nuclear waste.

Like, Perry being given the office is still farcical, but given that he's done executive work before and the worst parts of his politics don't figure in I guess it's not that shocking to find he's trying to do his job correctly?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna love hearing propaganda about how the van attack means they need moar guns in the U.K. CNN already had some guy reciting talking points to that effect on tonight.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Voyager I posted:

I'm working off assumptions here, but Secretary of Energy seems like a fairly bipartisan position. Your opinions about abortion and voting rights aren't really relevant to handling nuclear waste.

Like, Perry being given the office is still farcical, but given that he's done executive work before and the worst parts of his politics don't figure in I guess it's not that shocking to find he's trying to do his job correctly?

Also Energy handles huge corporate contracts (the National Labs are run by contractors, plus projects like Yucca Mountain) so that's something Perry is all about. I'm sure he's very happy to have the Bechtels and Honeywells of the world tell him that he's their favorite cabinet member.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Stock buybacks would keep the economic expansion going. It's not necessarily a great way to do it, but it would have a short-term positive effect.

It's difficult to predict because the Great Recession and the government's response to it has kind of broken how some of this stuff is supposed to work. If you look at domestic companies like Comcast and AT&T, they've been very active in spending their money and expansion. It makes sense for multinationals to do the same once extra capital is freed up. But people who say otherwise make sense too.

Ah Reaganomics.

On the one hand, the full weight of history and evidence proving it wrong, on the other hand if everyone claps their hands and believes hard enough it has to work this time!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Probably someone had a serious sit down with him and asked if he wanted his name to be on the report that mentioned "The (once populated city) Incident."

But he was okay with [insert Texas city] having large industrial incident?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Perry strikes me as the kind of simpleton that knows he has to rely on those around him.

In Texas, he got surrounded by whoever the Republican Party told him to use, so things went poorly.

At the DoE, he's surrounded by career staffers who care about their agency's mission, so things will go well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kaal posted:

Jobs and culture. Advertise in blue cities for work in purple cities and help with relocation costs. Encourage business expansion in these areas and connect municipalities with coastal companies that want to move themselves and their employees to somewhere more affordable. Municipal governments would jump at the chance of helping their economy, and probably would be happy to help with the effort. Counter conservative state reputations by painting the cities as modern, progressive, and cultured. Showcase these places as an attractive alternative to cities with highly competitive job markets, and skyrocketing business and livability costs. History has shown that if you can establish foundational support for bringing groups of new people into an area - connecting them with initial housing, jobs, and a welcoming community - then it makes it much easier to interest people in taking a chance. In many ways, shifting the economy and demographics of a state is much more straightforward than changing the opinions and political engagement of its existing citizenry, because it is less oppositional and more permanent.

In a way companies are already kinda doing this. Boeing has been relocating a lot of their jobs from Washington and California over to the South and/or Texas because those places are giving them better tax cuts and also because those places hate unions.

The problem is you're going to need to do a whole lot better to convince people like engineers to leave their coastal cities like Seattle move to shitholes like Atlanta. You'd have to pay me like twice my hypothetical Seattle salary to get me to even consider wanting to move to Atlanta, and no I don't care that "cost of living in Atlanta is less than Seattle." If I'm earning say 80k in Seattle then I'd need an offer of 160k in Atlanta to move there because you're kind of asking me for a lot and engineers are still in a position where we get to choose and be picky.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A bit tangential but I am happier than I thought I'd be to see a video game guy I follow awakening to the issues in the US. Not even a few months ago he was dealing with shitbirds like Colin Moriarty, one of the shittiest scumbags in the industry who, I believe these are essentially his direct words, "wants to be the Glenn Beck of conservative gamers". Then danny got a pretty swift and brutal education when he made some ignorant political arguments on twitter and it seems he's taken a pretty hard turn since then. Smart guy, but since he's a recent immigrant, didn't really know much about the US as a whole outside of California where he'd travel for business. Seeing stuff like this helps me remember that not everyone is hard-coded into their political beliefs. He was casually liberal before but looks like he's actually realizing how hosed up an "American Conservative" is.

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/871031158212927488

probably makes me happier than normal due to seeing super-famous idiots with massive followings like Jontron and Pewdiepie turn out to be insanely stupid hyper-conservatives if not outright nazis. it super bothered me that these shitbirds had massive audiences of children who they could influence with their truly hateful politics.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Does it mean anything in the legal sense now that Trump called the Muslim ban a "ban." Though not specifically a "Muslim ban," just a, "ban." Also, "we need the courts to give us back our rights," I assume that means the right to ban Muslims.

*sidenote: Holy poo poo the GBS thread on the London Bridge terror attack. It's pretty bad, don't read it; a lot of ironic racism and not much info.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 4, 2017

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
There's no conservative jihad against the DOE or its stated agenda, unlike the EPA or Education. It's still politically acceptable for Perry to advocate for it. If right wing media spent as much energy railing against the DOE as they do against the EPA, Trump would have nominated a true monster for the position.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

A bit tangential but I am happier than I thought I'd be to see a video game guy I follow awakening to the issues in the US. Not even a few months ago he was dealing with shitbirds like Colin Moriarty, one of the shittiest scumbags in the industry who, I believe these are essentially his direct words, "wants to be the Glenn Beck of conservative gamers". Then danny got a pretty swift and brutal education when he made some ignorant political arguments on twitter and it seems he's taken a pretty hard turn since then. Smart guy, but since he's a recent immigrant, didn't really know much about the US as a whole outside of California where he'd travel for business. Seeing stuff like this helps me remember that not everyone is hard-coded into their political beliefs. He was casually liberal before but looks like he's actually realizing how hosed up an "American Conservative" is.

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/871031158212927488

probably makes me happier than normal due to seeing super-famous idiots with massive followings like Jontron and Pewdiepie turn out to be insanely stupid hyper-conservatives if not outright nazis. it super bothered me that these shitbirds had massive audiences of children who they could influence with their truly hateful politics.

Bah, with pdp it wasn't really surprising. Number one: he always made rape "jokes" and number two: he like, grew up super rich. He's a textbook trust fund kid.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Nobody has ever given two fucks about the people of Texas, least of all Texas' government.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheMadMilkman posted:

Perry strikes me as the kind of simpleton that knows he has to rely on those around him.

In Texas, he got surrounded by whoever the Republican Party told him to use, so things went poorly.

At the DoE, he's surrounded by career staffers who care about their agency's mission, so things will go well.

Literally all Perry has to do is step back and let the people who know what they're doing do their jobs.

It's a ridiculously low bar, and yet I'm still genuinely surprised he cleared it. Pleasantly surprised though, one of the few things we don't have to immediately worry about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

stone cold posted:

Bah, with pdp it wasn't really surprising. Number one: he always made rape "jokes" and number two: he like, grew up super rich. He's a textbook trust fund kid.
I never followed him so I didn't realize how lovely he was until the incident with the Fiverr dudes, which then led into finding out his penchant for using nazi and anti-Semitic "humor"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

Gonna love hearing propaganda about how the van attack means they need moar guns in the U.K. CNN already had some guy reciting talking points to that effect on tonight.

Terrorists drove away from bridge and were killed within 8 minutes of the first call. To say they needed anything more than what they already have, which is a country-wide network of CCTV cameras linked to plate readers and algorithms capable of following a person based only on their gait is loving ludicrous, and a naked attempt to sell something on the backs of corpses.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Acid Haze posted:

GBS ... [is] ... bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

A bit tangential but I am happier than I thought I'd be to see a video game guy I follow awakening to the issues in the US. Not even a few months ago he was dealing with shitbirds like Colin Moriarty, one of the shittiest scumbags in the industry who, I believe these are essentially his direct words, "wants to be the Glenn Beck of conservative gamers".

:confused:

• Locked thread