Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

UmOk posted:

Best part of Star Wars

I am so into this.

Still trying to figure out what the spider/crab/xenomorph has to do with Obi Wan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I am so into this.

Still trying to figure out what the spider/crab/xenomorph has to do with Obi Wan.

Someone made an effort post about him struggling with being a closet homosexual. I wish I could find that post.

I mean he pokes it with a big hard stick and the creature breaks it in half.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Instant Sunrise posted:

i can't believe it took me this long to realize that as of rogue one, there are just as many star wars movies not directed by george lucas as there are ones he did direct.

It was 2:1 against until PM and only got to a tie again with AotC so that's been the case as often as not. Bit unfair though because my understanding is he did do a lot of directorial work on at least Empire. One of the legit Star Wars historionerds like Cnut or Bongo Bill can correct me

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

UmOk posted:

Someone made an effort post about him struggling with being a closet homosexual. I wish I could find that post.

I mean he pokes it with a big hard stick and the creature breaks it in half.

Yeah, I figured it's either that or something about Jedi repressing their sexuality.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's a praying mantis, and we know what praying mantises do to their mates.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Instant Sunrise posted:

i can't believe it took me this long to realize that as of rogue one, there are just as many star wars movies not directed by george lucas as there are ones he did direct.

That was also true as of Return of the Jedi

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I can't find Cnut's original post re: AOTC Sex Chat, but it's quoted on this page:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755790&pagenumber=768&perpage=40#post467664862

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

That arena battle at the end is so over the top it's like it was written by a child

"what if we had like 100 jedis in one battle" :downs:

They get slaughtered is what.

You know I always used to dislike it when the Jedi came out at the beginning of that battle. I was like, they're all just showy and in the end they're a bunch of lame chumps.

Then I thought about it, and Yoda earlier on in the very same film explicitly says that's what the Jedi are now and it's a huge problem he doesn't know how to fix.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 4, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There were 212 Jedi that showed up.

About 30 survived.

What a bunch of chumps

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

General Dog posted:

That was also true as of Return of the Jedi

You mean ESB?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I enjoy how much it wears its influences on its sleeve- it's really obvious that Obi-Wan's stuff is a vintage detective story, that the landscapes are out of Golden Age sci-fi pulp covers, the monsters in the arena are a Harryhausen homage, there are maser tanks from the Toho kaiju movies in the big ground battle, etc.

I think one reason I do like the prequels is I'm a fan of the source material for Star Wars- I like the old Flash Gordon serials and Sinbad movies and Godzilla movies, so things like cheesy dialogue or flowery romance don't faze me as much. That's par for the course.

:same: It's also why I'm the only person who loved John Carter.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dialhforhero posted:

You mean ESB?

I doubt that's what they meant since when ESB came out there was the same number of Star Wars movies directed by George Lucas than there were by other people, not more. :O

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pops Mgee posted:

Where is Fate of Atlantis?

Between I and II in that list; and it absolutely counts with the movies.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

porfiria posted:

You definitely kind of get the feeling with a lot of the stuff that people miss from the OT (more naturalistic acting styles and dialogue, relatable characters) are things that Georgie either felt obliged to veer towards or seeped in via osmosis in 1977 and that he sort of just eliminated in 99.

Well, I think he even said the reason he started with "episode 4" was because he knew that the story of the fall of the Republic wouldn't be as easily appealing to the average viewer. So that may also be why he cared more about including things in the original trilogy that would appeal to anyone, since it didn't have the cache of Star Wars as a franchise yet.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I like everything about this

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Silly boys, you don't have to fight over little 'ol me~

But if you do, I'm rooting for the hot one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love how Palpatine always has that same chair

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how Palpatine always has that same chair

I love the little spin at the beginning. He knows he utterly in command.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
my first gif

is not anything special

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

El Burbo posted:

There were 212 Jedi that showed up.

About 30 survived.

What a bunch of chumps

I mean, they did kill a bunch of droids that no one should care about because droids aren't people.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsUmA8Fuys4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There has to be one person on this earth that understands the comic timing of that scene and can slap it on to something else. Commander Cody signaling to shoot Obi Wan is not the place for the title.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

my first gif

is not anything special

I don't care who knows it, my dream home has Padme's sick-rear end porch + grill.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CelticPredator posted:

There has to be one person on this earth that understands the comic timing of that scene and can slap it on to something else. Commander Cody signaling to shoot Obi Wan is not the place for the title.

It should play normal a little bit before Order 66 wth Cody and Obi Wan then music plays as call goes in and title card as Obi Wan gets shot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I picked up vol.1 of the Darth Vader comic on a whim, and it's actually done quite a good job of matching the aesthetic of the original films, while telling a new story. I'm pretty impressed at the choices they've made that run counter to other elements in Star Wars - there's an evil R2D2 + C3PO who Vader recruits - along with a profiteering 'archaeologist' who I think is setup to be an anti-Indiana Jones figure.

Might be the best bit of 'expanded' Star Wars I've enjoyed in a long time.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Beeez posted:

Well, I think he even said the reason he started with "episode 4" was because he knew that the story of the fall of the Republic wouldn't be as easily appealing to the average viewer. So that may also be why he cared more about including things in the original trilogy that would appeal to anyone, since it didn't have the cache of Star Wars as a franchise yet.

He wasn't actually originally going to make a movie about the fall of the Republic, though. That's really just one of those simplified sound bite things he does for interviews. The original script's first act has some scenes which take place on the Imperial capital world, and there's also a big Vietnam-infused political subplot involving the invasion of the sovereign planet of Utapau by an oppressive technological army while self-interested senators squabble over courses of action that's obviously a prototype of all the political machinations in the prequels (Naboo was even called Utapau in early drafts of TPM). Those were the kinds of things he was interested in dealing with back in 1975 but had to cut out for being too convoluted and hard to pull off, but the fall of the Republic itself was always just part of the backstory. But very shortly after the original movie came out Lucas is on record in interviews musing about going back and making movies about that backstory, and it's likely he was thinking about all that even before then at some point while actually making the movie. It just wasn't part of the original original plan.

Yaws posted:

That arena battle at the end is so over the top it's like it was written by a child

"what if we had like 100 jedis in one battle" :downs:

Why is that a bad thing? The original Star Wars is defined by being bombastic, over-the-top, and full of childish glee. How is showing an army of Jedi with lightsabers drawn rushing against hordes of opposing killer droids in the Clone Wars anything but an entirely appropriate setpiece for a prequel trilogy depicting the Jedi Order at the height of its power? That's the entire idea: showing the Jedi in an entirely different, contrasting context from what we're familiar with in the OT. In the OT, the Jedi are few in number, old, faded, and scattered across the galaxy hiding in caves. In the PT, they operate out in the open in large groups as an organized knightly force to be reckoned with. The contrast between the trilogies puts truth to the idea that their "fire has gone out of the universe", and that things have changed greatly since their glory days as legendary warriors and respected guardians of the Republic.

Tolkien uses pretty much the same device in his works. In LOTR, Elves are elusive, rare, and near-mythical creatures hidden away in secluded sanctuaries, concealed almost always from mortal view. But in The Silmarillion, there are titanic armies of Elves parading across the countryside, leading massive military campaigns, and mingling freely with Men and all the rest of the mundane races of Middle-earth. The idea, once again, is to clearly illustrate the extent to which the Elves have diminished and become little more than faded myths in a world where they were once simply a glorious fact of life.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

He wasn't actually originally going to make a movie about the fall of the Republic, though. That's really just one of those simplified sound bite things he does for interviews. The original script's first act has some scenes which take place on the Imperial capital world, and there's also a big Vietnam-infused political subplot involving the invasion of the sovereign planet of Utapau by an oppressive technological army while self-interested senators squabble over courses of action that's obviously a prototype of all the political machinations in the prequels (Naboo was even called Utapau in early drafts of TPM). Those were the kinds of things he was interested in dealing with back in 1975 but had to cut out for being too convoluted and hard to pull off, but the fall of the Republic itself was always just part of the backstory. But very shortly after the original movie came out Lucas is on record in interviews musing about going back and making movies about that backstory, and it's likely he was thinking about all that even before then at some point while actually making the movie. It just wasn't part of the original original plan.

Fair enough, but my overall point still stands. People think Lucas made the prequels more convoluted and politics-based because he somehow forgot how to do a more simplified, action-y story, but he always wanted to detail how things got to the point they were in ANH one way or the other, he just realized it wouldn't be as marketable for the first experience audiences had with it. Much like the way the Ewoks originate from how, in early drafts of the original movie, there's a whole sequence where they meet with Wookiees on a forest planet and teach them how to fly X-Wings to destroy the DS, his ideas for the prequels do have a nascent presence in the original brainstorming sessions for the first movie. I think it's interesting that, when he was first deciding what number he'd give Star Wars when it was re-released in theaters, he actually considered making it episode 6 because he thought he might have an entire Clone Wars trilogy in between episode I and the movie that would sort of serve the function Revenge of the Sith ended up serving. It seems like he only entertained that idea very briefly, but it's still sort of like the precursor to the Clone Wars TV series.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Silamrillion ( most parts) was written years and decades before lord of the rings but it is a good analogy.

There is tons of elves on Loth Lorien even in Lord of the rings tho.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

Why is that a bad thing?

It's gauche, pandering and unimaginative.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

Actually, it's good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yaws posted:

What's wrong with pandering? Specifically in the case of a massively popular piece of popular entertainment with a huge fanbase? What's wrong with doing something to please those fans? If you're not trying to please your audience with a Star Wars film, what the gently caress are you trying to do with it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He actually did the opposite of pandering.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Weren't V and VI pandering to IV?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I feel like if you focus grouped people before the prequels came out, probably one of the only things everyone would agree on is that they expect to see charging armies of Jedi. The fact that you say its dumb is just proof that there's no way Lucas was ever going to make most people happy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

euphronius posted:

He actually did the opposite of pandering.

Nah, speaking for myself as a 14/15 year old, I was super psyched for armies of Jedi.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I remember wishing I was the Jedi with the tall forehead.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

Silamrillion ( most parts) was written years and decades before lord of the rings but it is a good analogy.

There is tons of elves on Loth Lorien even in Lord of the rings tho.

Not in the real world though. Lothlorien, Mirkwood, and, to a lesser extent, Rivendell, are reclusive strongholds that don't interact much with outsiders. The Elves in Lothlorien just about shoot the Fellowship on sight, and Mirkwood's trade with Lake Town is pretty impersonal, by barrels in the river. Elves are a wondrously rare sight for most of the other inhabitants of Middle-earth.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lampsacus posted:

I remember wishing I was the Jedi with the tall forehead.

Fun fact: that Jedi is one of the last males of his race. So in the old expanded universe he would periodically duck out of being a Jedi to go home, and this is true f***, a bunch of people to propagate his species. Admittedly I overheard this on a Star Wars role-playing game podcast as a joke so it may not actually be a thing in the old EU.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

Fun fact: that Jedi is one of the last males of his race. So in the old expanded universe he would periodically duck out of being a Jedi to go home, and this is true f***, a bunch of people to propagate his species. Admittedly I overheard this on a Star Wars role-playing game podcast as a joke so it may not actually be a thing in the old EU.

quote:

Assigned the Jedi Watchman of the Cerean sector, Mundi was granted a rare exception to the Jedi Order's ban on marriage due to his species' low birth rate and had a polygamous family of five wives and seven children, although he tried to avoid developing emotional attachments to them.

whoa nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Also his head looks like a penis

• Locked thread