Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm recasting my biggest Universe Survival Arc wish from Gohan being the last man standing to the Legendary Super Saiyan Kale completely dunking on Golden Frieza and giving SSJ PTSD all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I was one of those dorks mad about Goten and Trunks getting Super Saiyan the way they did, but that was an eternity ago.

Meanwhile the Universe 6 equivalent of a lazy guy who blew up all of Goku/Vegeta/Gohan's peers puts a stupid amount of effort into all his crazy plans, so of course the Universe 6 Saiyans actually put effort into figuring out how being a saiyan works instead of 'just lift', which is a pretty cool constant.

Give the Universe 6 trio a year in the time chamber and they'll all be able to Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken with no stress on their bodies when they discover that the secret to Kaioken is to focus all the energy in your left ear.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TheLawinator posted:

I assume that when universe 7 wins they'll wish for all the universes to be merged or something and that would be fuel for another 500 episodes. They already mentioned that their universe is barely inhabited.

Which would then allow them to take a grand tour (grand tour)...

Blockhouse posted:

also they got all this hot freeza merch lying around they can sell

but wouldn't it be cold?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Which would then allow them to take a grand tour (grand tour)...

Can't wait to see General Rilldo at the Tournament of Power.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
In a shocking twist of fate, Vegeta teaching Cabba how to go Super Saiyan directly leads to Universe 6's victory and the erasure of Vegeta and everyone he cares about.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I was one of those dorks mad about Goten and Trunks getting Super Saiyan the way they did, but that was an eternity ago.

Meanwhile the Universe 6 equivalent of a lazy guy who blew up all of Goku/Vegeta/Gohan's peers puts a stupid amount of effort into all his crazy plans, so of course the Universe 6 Saiyans actually put effort into figuring out how being a saiyan works instead of 'just lift', which is a pretty cool constant.

Give the Universe 6 trio a year in the time chamber and they'll all be able to Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken with no stress on their bodies when they discover that the secret to Kaioken is to focus all the energy in your left ear.

That poo poo sounds rad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

In a shocking twist of fate, Vegeta teaching Cabba how to go Super Saiyan directly leads to Universe 6's victory and the erasure of Vegeta and everyone he cares about.

In his defense, he had no way to know that female Saiyans were able to transform into greater, and unique, forms with so much ease. No canon female had ever attempted to become a Super Saiyan before, how would he know U6 would break that trend?

Also count me in as one of the people who disliked Goten and Trunks becoming Super Saiyans so easily. Not here though, Caulifla and Kale are cool and I'm glad we finally have canon female Super Saiyans and they're this cool and cute. Keep it up, U6. Win that tournament.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I might have to root for U6 over U7 now.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Dexo posted:

Ahh yes the Legend Of Korea effect. Where they did everything but kiss and you had peiple think they were just friends with no "gay" stuff.

Pfft, they aren't lesbians. Lots of people kiss their good friend & roommate on the lips after receiving a thoughtful gift. They're just polite is all it is.

For real though, hasn't anime developed a weird cultural thing like "sure, every girl is a little gay when they're 15, but you grow out of it"? Or am I over-generalizing based on the only shoujo I know of being queer as hell?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I want to hear about this Legend of Korea.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 4, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HitTheTargets posted:

Pfft, they aren't lesbians. Lots of people kiss their good friend & roommate on the lips after receiving a thoughtful gift. They're just polite is all it is.

For real though, hasn't anime developed a weird cultural thing like "sure, every girl is a little gay when they're 15, but you grow out of it"? Or am I over-generalizing based on the only shoujo I know of being queer as hell?

School girl lesbians is a thing in Japan, yeah.

We'll see what if anything comes from it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Raxivace posted:

I want to know hear about this Legend of Korea.

It's just lesbians playing Starcraft.

Also ain't that just Japan queerbaiting a ton? "They're not gay, but what if they are?" and all. Also Kale and Caulifla will stay as Gals Being Pals because DBS is still standard shonen fare.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

there's definitely been some weird undercurrent of trying to coyly cater to people who want to see lesbian relationships in media(probably more the dudes who think it's hot than lesbians who want to see representation) without being overt enough that homophobic people get put off

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It should be noted they gave us a reason this episode for Frieza:

He's still around because he has't repented and is a giant rear end in a top hat who is a pain to everyone because he won't move on and they need to keep him locked up. King Enma even asks that they kill him somewhere besides Earth next time so he isn't his problem anymore. We haven't seen any indication that Cell is in the same niche and we already know Buu isn't since Buu was reincarnated. It's very possible they COULDN'T get Cell back.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the thing about the Legend of Korra.

It's a shitshow with some truly atrocious writing that gets a pass because, eventually, the writers came up with character relationships people could get behind. And by eventually I mean by the end of the series.

The writing never really improved, and there's a reason it basically got cancelled the way it did, but people enjoyed it and they did do a fairly believable, if not super subdued, lesbian romance. Only that was then completely blown out the water by Steven Universe, which tackles the subject full force instead of tepidly and only hints and a vague confirmation at the very end.

If you liked the show that's fine, it had a good setting and all, but most of it was really awful and Christ did the first season suck eggs.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

All I know is I posted "Sieg Zeon!" during the Airbender finale because Zuko is the best Char Clone.

Dias posted:

It's just lesbians playing Starcraft.

Yuri On-Line

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 4, 2017

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I thought only the 4 worst universes were going to be erased?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So wait, the God of Destruction who is a mouse is being set up as an arch enemy of the God of Destruction who is a cat?

Toei.

That's racist.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing about the Legend of Korra.

It's a shitshow with some truly atrocious writing that gets a pass because, eventually, the writers came up with character relationships people could get behind. And by eventually I mean by the end of the series.

The writing never really improved, and there's a reason it basically got cancelled the way it did, but people enjoyed it and they did do a fairly believable, if not super subdued, lesbian romance. Only that was then completely blown out the water by Steven Universe, which tackles the subject full force instead of tepidly and only hints and a vague confirmation at the very end.

If you liked the show that's fine, it had a good setting and all, but most of it was really awful and Christ did the first season suck eggs.

it has been my opinion for a really long time that the only reason Legend of Korra had the lesbian ending was because they were trying to figure out some way to protect the show from being relentlessly poo poo on for it's basically consistent terrible writing. Good on the show for being progressive but it felt like what amounted to nakedly going 'you can't criticize our show, it had lesbians in it so if you do you're homophobic.'.

Meanwhile Steven Universe is amazing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What actually happened on Korra was they were writing season 3 and the creators started liking Korra and Asami's interaction and decided to build on it in the next one and then they started seriously considering it and asked the network, who agreed so long as they didn't make it overt with like a kiss or anything.

I dunno though.

You can level plenty of criticism against LoK in the end, but Asami and Korra basically spent two seasons getting a bit closer that culminated in them... holding hands and deciding to start spending time together.

Meanwhile Aang is clearly in love with Katara by the end of the bloody pilot, and Sokka both falls for and loses Yue in the span of a handful of episodes.

I don't see why that gets so much scrutiny when the ending is just them opening the door for themselves and acknowledging an attraction. And the writers themselves have admitted it wasn't "a slam dunk for representation" when writing about it, so it's not like they're under illusions that they've created a work that's beyond reproach.

So yeah, the show's far from perfect but I dunno about this one, guys.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I disagree but don't feel like getting into it in this here sacred DBZ thread all I'll say is

Seasons 3 and 4 of Korra were great.

First two seasons were rough I'll admit though.

Also lmao at implying the writers made them bi because critism.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Harold Krell posted:

I thought only the 4 worst universes were going to be erased?

Other way around. The 4 best aren't participating in the tournament. Of the eight that are, every losing team gets erased.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

So yeah, the show's far from perfect but I dunno about this one, guys.

You're not going to with this argument because it isn't actually about Korra, it's just the now-omnipresent thing where Stephen Universe fans look for the most tangential excuses possible to discuss the show in any place they can. (Which is a shame because it is a good show, it just has the Worst Fanbase.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uhhh. How did SU get into the mix here?

Edit - oh wait. At the end. Right.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Caulifla and Kale are Super Saiyan besties and that's really drat cool. hopefully Kale can reign in her transformation so she doesn't hulk out and kill everyone during the tournament

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Uhhh. How did SU get into the mix here?

Edit - oh wait. At the end. Right.

Yeah. Maybe I'm being too snappish but it seems like any discussion about the subject matter inevitably leads to SU fans wanting to talk about SU and going hyperbolic on any other show so it's kinda eeergh.

Carlosologist posted:

Caulifla and Kale are Super Saiyan besties and that's really drat cool. hopefully Kale can reign in her transformation so she doesn't hulk out and kill everyone during the tournament

I wonder if that's going to be the big problem with Kale. Frieza can be told "don't kill people" and will (presumably) listen, Kale doesn't seem like she can control herself in crazymode.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Look let's just get back to the blatant animal jingoism that is Quitela wanting to take out Beerus.

I think casting a mouse's efforts to take out an evil cat as bad and underhanded is Tom & Jerry-levels of victim blaming.

Please god no one take this seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Look let's just get back to the blatant animal jingoism that is Quitela wanting to take out Beerus.

I think casting a mouse's efforts to take out an evil cat is Tom & Jerry-levels of victim blaming.

Please god no one take this seriously.

You don't know why he hates Beerus. Maybe Beerus tried to put him between two slices of bread and eat him, did you think about that?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

You're not going to with this argument because it isn't actually about Korra, it's just the now-omnipresent thing where Stephen Universe fans look for the most tangential excuses possible to discuss the show in any place they can. (Which is a shame because it is a good show, it just has the Worst Fanbase.)

The hilarious thing is that I do not like nor watch Steven Universe. It's just not really something I care about or anything that resonates with me. It's not bad from what I've seen, but it's simply not my kind of show.

It just really did set the bar for homosexual relationships for kids cartoons, which is the main bit of praise you can give Korra and the reason I brought them up in relation to one another.

I do really love the song It's Over Isn't It though. If the show was as good as that one song, I would actually be able to watch an entire episode.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

You know, there is one little thing I don't like about DBS Freeza - Final Form just looks so much better than Golden Freeza and I hope he gets to kick some rear end in it before transforming.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

You don't know why he hates Beerus. Maybe Beerus tried to put him between two slices of bread and eat him, did you think about that?

Lord Beerus is not so evil he would do such a thing.

He'd have Whis put him in the sandwich for him. GEEZ.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

Either that or Beerus ate all the cheese.

Because that would be a thing that Beerus would do.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Universe 4 had the multiverse's largest cheese supply.

Then Beerus visited. And ate all the cheese.

And all the cows.

Universe 4 will never have cheese again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe they did watch Tom and Jerry together and that's why they now hate each others guts.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I can't wait for Caulifla to reach Super Saiyan Rose mid-tournament

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wait, we're assuming it's mutual. We've never seen Beerus say anything about Quitela before now.

What if Beerus thinks they're best friends?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pyroi posted:

I can't wait for Caulifla to reach Super Saiyan Rose mid-tournament

more of a lily than a rose i'd think

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I can't wait for the Kale Black arc.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if that's going to be the big problem with Kale. Frieza can be told "don't kill people" and will (presumably) listen, Kale doesn't seem like she can control herself in crazymode.

It's fine, she won't kill anyone.

Except Cabba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. Maybe I'm being too snappish but it seems like any discussion about the subject matter inevitably leads to SU fans wanting to talk about SU and going hyperbolic on any other show so it's kinda eeergh.

I actually haven't watched any of SU past season 1, I just really liked Garnet and her song, while similarly having issues with Korra. I think the entire show except for the like 8 episodes around the Red Lotus was really badly written, but it's not for this thread.

I don't know if Kale can't control herself so much as she loses her temper. It's strange to say that but she is far more talkative then Broly was, at least at first, and the fact Caulifla calmed her down with just a couple of sentences made it seem to me it was more like Goku's first transformation; where the overwhelming power is making her freak out but it's not something that's going to keep happening. I think she basically got drunk on her power and may be able to better reign herself in with a little bit of training in her subsequent transformation.

Curious if she's going to have some kind of have transformed mode like Broly did in Second Coming though; where she isn't as muscular but still has the green hair. It's also kind of funny to compare her to other Saiyans from her Universe; Cabba and Califla are weird beanpole people with spindly arms and legs but she was way more normally proportioned even in her base mode, and in Broly mode she basically does 100% fit standard DBZ drawing style. It's kind of interesting.

• Locked thread