Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

empty whippet box posted:

"the attackers had to use knives and cars because they couldn't access guns! the solution is: more guns!" :confused:

They couldn't get hold of real bomb vests either and had to wear fake ones. By Trump's logic we should be selling bomb vests in UK supermarkets so the good people can defend themselves.

It's actually not all that hard to get guns in the UK as long as you have a clean record and can fake sporting interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Yeah, way to go gun policies in the UK.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

vaginite posted:

Maybe if it was done fully by the federal government and given the same security attention that things like the National Labs, Pentagon etc.

Not the military, but the Treasury, via the Secret Service for all levels of government. Opt-in by default. Opt-out in writing only.

Votes should be treated like money, and given non-partisan anti-counterfeiting scrutiny, with equivalent penalties.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 4, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I guess it's probably time for me to delete my Twitter account since they're obviously never going to enforce their own loving rules against hate speech provided it's Trump doing the speaking.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871328428963901440
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871331574649901056

Meanwhile, on an average day in the United States in 2017, 41 people will be shot and killed. http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Like literally the reason the death toll is in the single digits is because of the UKs gun laws. In the US we're lucky if one of our monthly mass shootings doesn't go past 15 dead people

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If the gun debate tweet was made by any other person, you would correctly read it as them praising the UK for gun laws that made it harder for them to get them and that we should have a debate in our country because of what could of happened over there if they did have guns.

But no, he is just not able to word good or string a coherent sentence together and it's really hard to break your brain hard enough to read it in a way that doesn't come off like the above.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mister Facetious posted:

Don't know why you people don't just implement e-voting.

Same with Canada.
If I can file my taxes directly to the government online, I should be able to do the same with my votes.

What could possibly go wrong?

I admire the boldness of the plan to diminish the strength of Olds as a voting block, but there are probably ways to achieve this goal without allowing voter fraud and impersonation on a massive scale.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

boner confessor posted:

all of these places already vote democratic. there's no point to putting more liberals in liberal enclaves, you'd need them to move to rural areas to tip those districts which is even more wildly impractical than whatever nonsense you're pushing here

All the those cities are suggested precisely because they are already Democratic. Tipping districts in red states is pointless because Republicans just move the district lines whenever they please, and they'll continue doing so until gerrymandering is banned. And few people want to move to a jobless rural area that haven't already anyway. But moving to another liberal city with a strong municipal government that is providing the kind of services that you'd expect in an urban area in a bluer state ... people are more open to the possibility.

The idea is to solidify blue control of state governorships, the Senate and presidency by spreading out the liberal population so that they are represented fairly. And it takes advantage of existing economic trends, as opposed to doubling down on our old political plans that don't seem to be working very well. If you prefer the optics of "promoting the image of blue cities in purple states", then go with that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 4, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol at atlanta turning into armageddon from half an inch of snow.

It was more than an inch... of ice

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Nobby posted:

They shut down that paper mill.

there's some weird smelling stuff along the oregon coast too-coos bay comes to mind, logging I think-but the worst smelling place on the west coast by far is driving up the 5 where it hits the 198 iirc at loving harris ranch

the stench of poo poo and death lingers for miles, i don't know how people eat at the restaurant there and i certainly don't know how people like, stay in the hotel there

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Nobby posted:

They shut down that paper mill.

Tacoma still had an aroma last time I drove through it on I-5 in March :shrug:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/871407975029669889

Because this won't end in dead people at all.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
What the gently caress. Seriously what the gently caress privatizing air traffic control is somehow the dumbest thing Trump has done yet.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This isn't one of those things he can actually do right

It's just like a pointless eo that will never go anywhere

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

"Kennedy Tower, Delta 394 is bingo fuel requesting priority"
"Delta 394 that sucks for you, your folks haven't paid for Priority Approach Access™ like United has, so you have 9 United aircraft ahead of you. Get in a holding pattern and send a hat around the cabin."

I also guess the rule of air traffic controllers being on shift for only a few hours before a mandatory hour break would probably go away too, because why pay employees to take breaks!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

What the gently caress. Seriously what the gently caress privatizing air traffic control is somehow the dumbest thing Trump has done yet.

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/871333992502620162

This is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
This has to be a joke, Trump isn't literally a drooling incompetent

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

No, that's just normal Trump level dickishness. Privatizing air traffic control is way beyond that. Does he want people to hate him, that's the only reason I can think of for this

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Piell posted:

Air Traffic has been trying for ages to go private, and they've come pretty close in the past. My question is will this be a privatizing like Canada's and it's just a non-profit organization that's basically still the government.
(Haha who am I kidding it's going to be for-profit as gently caress)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yo someone buy a URL and write a script to do this automatically and put a single 728x90 ad under the scroll and tweet it out I bet you get some beer money

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Did Fox & Friends do a retrospective on Reagan recently or something? "Being a shittier person than Reagan" is the only reason I can think of for this, unless...was one of his planes delayed for 30 seconds or something?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

What purpose would this even serve?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What purpose would this even serve?

Give rich people more money, duh

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/871381666882875394

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/871359348500566016
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/871426046935142400

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Air Traffic has been trying for ages to go private, and they've come pretty close in the past. My question is will this be a privatizing like Canada's and it's just a non-profit organization that's basically still the government.
(Haha who am I kidding it's going to be for-profit as gently caress)

It's intended to be a single nonprofit corporation. I have no idea how that is supposed to improve anything.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's intended to be a single nonprofit corporation. I have no idea how that is supposed to improve anything.

At the very least it will provide an opportunity to attack the controller's union.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Piell posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/871415116654424064

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

In case anyone is wondering, privatizing ATC and selling off roads and airports is not something Trump can actually do. He can suggest it to congress, to which they will reply by rolling their eyes and chuckling.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

What the gently caress why

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

In case anyone is wondering, privatizing ATC and selling off roads and airports is not something Trump can actually do. He can suggest it to congress, to which they will reply by rolling their eyes and chuckling.

I dunno, sounds like exactly the sort of thing Paul Ryan would absolutely love to do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've pointed this out before, but if handled competently there is no problem with the privatization of ATC. ATC and civil air services provided by a private not-for-profit corporation in Canada, and it works perfectly fine.

Now, I have absolutely no confidence that Trump would handle such a thing in a sane way, I'm just pointing out that it is technically possible for it to be done in a non-destructive fashion.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Piell posted:

No, that's just normal Trump level dickishness. Privatizing air traffic control is way beyond that. Does he want people to hate him, that's the only reason I can think of for this

Privatized ATC is actually pretty common. The UK, Germany, and Canada all use some degree of privatized air traffic control, whether through a government owned corporation, for profit corporation, or non profit corporation. In principle there are some advantages as far as the potential stability and amount of funding (i.e. dominated by relatively predictable use fees rather than the whims of legislature), but I am 100% confident in this administrations ability to spectacularly gently caress up anything and everything.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Piell posted:

For you when Trump privatized air control it was a travesty, the dumbest thing he had ever done. But for Trump, it was a Monday.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PT6A posted:

I've pointed this out before, but if handled competently there is no problem with the privatization of ATC. ATC and civil air services provided by a private not-for-profit corporation in Canada, and it works perfectly fine.

Now, I have absolutely no confidence that Trump would handle such a thing in a sane way, I'm just pointing out that it is technically possible for it to be done in a non-destructive fashion.

lol Jared is going to be in charge of it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tzen posted:

What the gently caress why

because he is trying for "easy victories" any kind will do.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PT6A posted:

It won't be not-for-profit. It'll be run for maximum shareholder profit with the absolute minimum of safety regulation, and cost more than the current system.

It will, however, do a stellar job of routing taxpayer money to those the administration desires political donations from.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Idle Sunday thoughts while watching MTP rerun: I wonder if we're approaching a tipping point with regards to Islamic inspired terrorism sometimes. It's by this point global in scale with the Phillipines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, large swathes of Africa, and parts of Europe, India, and China all struggling to combat.

Mass media raises the sense of threat and repeated occurrences with a common tie despite massive differences in context and goals I fear causes an increasingly difficult narrative to combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Boon posted:

I wonder if we're approaching a tipping point with regards to Islamic inspired terrorism sometimes. It's by this point global in scale with the Phillipines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, large swathes of Africa, and parts of Europe, India, and China all struggling to combat.

Mass media raises the sense of threat and repeated occurrences with a common tie despite massive differences in context and goals I fear causes an increasingly difficult narrative to combat.

counterpoint: the philippines has had issues with suppressing the muslim population since all the way back with president magsaysay and was p. much openly at war in mindanao until like 5 years ago

china doesn't have the sort of issue you're thinking about as well, given that the government kind of uses "uighurs are muslims," as a nice justification to "cooperate" with Russia in Central Asia (re: the sco) and to keep their suppression of uighurs and of Xinjiang nice and kosher internationally

• Locked thread