Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Only people I know who like Atlanta are white dudes who refuse to interact with black people outside of saying, "yes," to "do you want fries with that" then brag about going into the "divey" parts like EAV or college park or decatur. Never been in a more segregated place in my goddamn life.

this reminds me of the greatest musical contribution of Atlanta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-riL5A4eiWQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Rigel posted:

In case anyone is wondering, privatizing ATC and selling off roads and airports is not something Trump can actually do. He can suggest it to congress, to which they will reply by rolling their eyes and chuckling.

but what if he writes an EO to force congress to do it?!?!!?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

as dumb as this is, I have to wonder how much longer it will matter, because the systems in use are becoming more and more automated.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Aves Maria! posted:

The suburbs are pretty well segregated. Brookhaven and Buckhead come to mind.

Buckhead is not a suburb. It is an incorporated area of the city of Atlanta for about 40 years or so.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Jimong5 posted:

as dumb as this is, I have to wonder how much longer it will matter, because the systems in use are becoming more and more automated.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/

Automated systems can range in quality, and better automated systems will be far more expensive.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

stone cold posted:

china doesn't have the sort of issue you're thinking about as well, given that the government kind of uses "uighurs are muslims," as a nice justification to "cooperate" with Russia in Central Asia (re: the sco) and to keep their suppression of uighurs and of Xinjiang nice and kosher internationally
Every year for the past several there's at least one major knife attack in the region with a couple dozen people dead. It's not as flashy as running gunbattles in the streets or a bomb, but it does happen.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm convinced that one of these days we're going to find out that Trump and his team knew about an upcoming terror attack against a NATO ally, could have shared information to stop it, and then didn't because Trump didn't like the way their leader shook his hand or some poo poo.

LOL you dumbass his "team" and the broader federal government can't go a half nanosecond without leaking something every time Trump farts out of his fat orange rear end do you think they would keep something like that to themselves because of pissbaby's feel-feels?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I long for a day when the media in general begins taking the administration's representatives appeals to authority as a complete sham instead of allowing it. Every time an official says, 'the president has said' it should be immediately followed with a 'the president has zero credibility'

stone cold posted:

counterpoint: the philippines has had issues with suppressing the muslim population since all the way back with president magsaysay and was p. much openly at war in mindanao until like 5 years ago

china doesn't have the sort of issue you're thinking about as well, given that the government kind of uses "uighurs are muslims," as a nice justification to "cooperate" with Russia in Central Asia (re: the sco) and to keep their suppression of uighurs and of Xinjiang nice and kosher internationally

Totally, I still see these as potentially common cause for combating Islamic inspired terror around the world. If that happens, buckle up.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 4, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Boon posted:

I long for a day when the media in general begins taking the administration's representatives appeals to authority as a complete sham instead of allowing it. Every time an official says, 'the president has said' it should be immediately followed with a 'the president has zero credibility'

Sean spicer has said repeatedly he can't speak for the president.

I want one of them to ask him what the purpose of his job is.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

Every year for the past several there's at least one major knife attack in the region with a couple dozen people dead. It's not as flashy as running gunbattles in the streets or a bomb, but it does happen.

uh no

there's been maybe two knife attacks in the last four years that were like terrorism

the problem with talking about terrorism in china is that stuff that isn't gets played up as it though it is, as a political pretext to justify more suppression

for example, the worst "terrorist attack" by loss of life (100+) in china was the shijiazhuang bombings in 2001 was carried out by one dude who was mad at his ex wife, or if you don't believe that, some dudes who were mad over layoffs

so like, no

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Boon posted:

Totally, I still see these as potentially common cause for combating Islamic inspired terror around the world. If that happens, buckle up.

i mean these aren't Islamic inspired terror so much as terrorism as reaction to 100+ years suppression of Filipino Muslims and Uighurs respectively

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Like I needed another reason to hate flying post 9/11, loving a.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I ain't getting on a plane for the next 8 years now.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Covok posted:

I ain't getting on a plane for the next 8 years now.

You can't fly to a place safe from the Orange Scourge anyway.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DaveWoo posted:

I dunno, sounds like exactly the sort of thing Paul Ryan would absolutely love to do.

Paul Ryan is not the emperor of congress. There are lots of things that he wants but can't pass.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Jack_Blanchard_/status/871430458130792449

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

In case anyone is wondering, privatizing ATC and selling off roads and airports is not something Trump can actually do. He can suggest it to congress, to which they will reply by rolling their eyes and chuckling.

This is why impeachment is bad. Trump does an excellent job highlighting all the horrible poo poo the GOP normally loves to do on the down low, but is too stupid/incompetent to actually do it.

But as another poster said: Paul Ryan would love to.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Man, that special prosecutor better prove what we all known: that all republicans are traitors to the state and deserve life imprisonment.

I mean, I know that's wishful thinking and WILL NEVER happen, but a man can dream.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

What was going on at his low point?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's intended to be a single nonprofit corporation. I have no idea how that is supposed to improve anything.

The Controller Union does not like government involvement because Republicans.

I mean sure, they'll talk about how they need steady and consistent leadership, but the between the lines is that they're tired of Republicans sabotaging air traffic safety.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

nachos posted:

Abandoned the Paris climate accords. Also he was on a trip and that probably made people forget about him for a while and now he's back.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

nachos posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/latest-donald-trump-news-today-march-28-2017/

His lowpoint on Gallup is 35% which I believe came about after the first attempt for an ACA repeal bill.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

What exactly is appealing to those 36%??

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Silly Burrito posted:

"lol u mad libtard?" and the 14 words crew.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Silly Burrito posted:

the_donald people have disgusting levels of cognitive dissonance. He could be cutting their throats and they would be screaming "THANK YOU GOD EMPEROR". They actually call him that...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nachos posted:

AHCA iirc.

Covok posted:

Man, that special prosecutor better prove what we all known: that all republicans are traitors to the state and deserve life imprisonment.

I mean, I know that's wishful thinking and WILL NEVER happen, but a man can dream.

Even if they do, action still needs to be taken. The question is, will it? And if so, to what extent?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Silly Burrito posted:

Libtard tears and racism

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Any infrastructure plan he puts out will be DOA. Dems are not going to get onboard and the GOP isn't going to have any interest in paying for it, even if it's mostly privatized.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Party Plane Jones posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/latest-donald-trump-news-today-march-28-2017/

His lowpoint on Gallup is 35% which I believe came about after the first attempt for an ACA repeal bill.

Did he actually get a bump from the AHCA passing the house? He seems to get a bump from literally anything that happens as his supporters are like 'yeah!!! TRUMP!!!' and then it gradually goes away again and he sinks to a lower point as it becomes clear that he hosed up whatever it was.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/871439785243668482

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/871366235098894340

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress do you even do for 4.5 hours of golfing besides the obvious? Is it just "me time" for him or does he do other shady poo poo at the same time?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because he is trying for "easy victories" any kind will do.

Of course he his, those other presidents left a bunch lying around because they were just too stupid to figure out the 'bing bing bong! Simple!' strategy. Thankfully Trump has finally brought some real business smarts to the office. Have you seen his 100 days plan? Just wait, it's going to be amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because he is trying for "easy victories" any kind will do.

I can't imagine a world where 'privatize an entire vital industry' is going to actually be an easy victory, mind.

But then, Trump is dumb as gently caress.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress do you even do for 4.5 hours of golfing besides the obvious? Is it just "me time" for him or does he do other shady poo poo at the same time?

He's playing golf. He loves golf. Why is this a question? He's not an evil villain, he's a self-centered idiot baby man and wants to play golf which is probably the best thing for the whole world since he's not loving up poo poo on a global scale while he's golfing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Trump only works on weekdays.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Night10194 posted:

I can't imagine a world where 'privatize an entire vital industry' is going to actually be an easy victory, mind.

But then, Trump is dumb as gently caress.

He literally thinks he just has to say it and sign a piece of paper and it's done. The rest is just details.

e: This extends to all of his campaign promises, he seems to believe the President is King of the USA.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

All the time is "me time" for the narcissist Donald Trump.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Would be fun to get Ron Howard to do voice overs of Trumps bullshit.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
You expect the man to work on the weekends? Come on, it's the weekend.

He probably doesn't have to disclose who he golfs with, I'm sure a lot of meetings with Russians happens on the golf course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

empty whippet box posted:

Did he actually get a bump from the AHCA passing the house? He seems to get a bump from literally anything that happens as his supporters are like 'yeah!!! TRUMP!!!' and then it gradually goes away again and he sinks to a lower point as it becomes clear that he hosed up whatever it was.

Ahaha. No. lol forever no.

We're on a three point scale for the presidential approval polls. Approve, neutral, disapprove. That didn't shift a lot actually despite the polling behind the bill being something like 8-9% approval rating. It's absolutely toxic and no one is going to pass that piece of poo poo without heavy modifications.

What actually happened if you look at a five point scale is that strong support dropped significantly for Trump. A five point scale looks like this: Strongly approve, approve, neutral, disapprove, strongly disapprove. There was a shift of 8-9 percentage points from strongly disapprove to approve for the Trump presidency that happened after the ACHA passed the house. I look at the strong approval as his base while the approve folks are just bog standard republicans. With the passage of that bill from the house he lost nearly a third of his base overnight. He could claw some of them back and that's likely that something could energize them or they'll return on their own, but he's not getting them all back. A good chunk of his base was permanently shed with that bill.

What I've seen from peering at the data after being alerted by pundits is that while Trump has a super slow bleed of his approval rating over time his sharpest declines come from policy that is pushed that republican voters hate. So that decline downwards becomes a sudden cliff. It rises again slightly before stabilizing. Then after a while it begins to decline once again. So I have a theory. It's not groundbreaking or wild, but it's how I think this is going to go.

*Puts on the political scientist hat*

1. Many pundits were expecting a huge drop to the mid thirties for his approval rating but instead you're getting a slow bleed. Almost all dems hate him and a good chunk of independents do too. What you're looking at is the republican floor slowly getting lower.

2. I'd expect more action by the republican party against him every 5% more that he drops and more heat applied to him each time. So 35%, 30%, 25%, etc. Months ago I'd have expected him to drop precipitously, but I'm more conservative with my analysis now. Unless there is some huge fuckup or another toxic bill that the republicans try to pass that their own base hates I don't see him dropping more than 1% a month. What you're seeing is the current roof and floor. Both are expanding upwards and downwards, but they're doing so slowly.

3. You're probably going to see bills that traditional republicans want to get passed get passed. Tax cuts for the wealthy, religious stuff, screwing the poor and middle class, gun rights expansion, environmental rollbacks, regulation rollbacks, that sort of stuff you're going to see if you pay attention. However few if any of Trump's initiatives are going to get passed. The wall isn't going up and both Trump and the republican party are going to suffer if it ever becomes a bill that gets voted on. At the same time you're going to see an increasing slow bleed in opinion polls from republicans the longer that that wall doesn't go up.

What I predict is this: A year from now Trump's opinion polls are going to be in the low 30's to high 20's with about half of his losses going into his disapproval rates, so maybe around 60% as he's a polarizing figure. If the Russian probe comes out within a year's time there probably won't be a whole lot of new stuff that was learned. It'll just be confirmation of what we already know along with people getting indicted. If it takes longer then more dirt gets brought up that we didn't know along with confirmation of what we did. By this time his approval ratings are in the mid 20's as the white house will seem completely unable to keep from stepping on rakes like they're in a Bug's Bunny cartoon. That's if things stay as they are right now and there are no new crises, which is possible.

In the end I see one of two things happening. He lets a bunch of people get prosecuted and they all turn on one another or he pardons a bunch of people and it stinks so badly of corruption that his approval ratings crater. Dems get the house but not the senate, or at least split the senate 50-50. Wave elections are possible but not likely unless there's a major crisis that he fucks up and is all on him.

• Locked thread