Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Angry Grimace posted:

I think Reid Duke just realized he wasn't supposed to mention that there's 800 players at GP Omaha when there is normally 1,200.

Also 6 Marvel decks in the Top 8.

And one temur energy! That plus the top 32 numbers... whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They're going to conclude from this that combo is bad aren't they

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Angry Grimace posted:

To bring it back to Ban Marvel Chat, the Top 32 of GP Amsterdam was posted.

62.5% of the 9 through 32nd place decks were Aetherworks Marvel (15 of 24). Overall 50% considering the whole Top 32. I doubt WOTC will call attention to anything but the Top 8.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpams17/9th-32nd-decklists-2017-06-04

Yea I saw this after posting the top 8 tweet and being somewhat dismissive. I would like to know what the conversion rate was, i.e. was there so many because so many ppl played it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DoctorOozy posted:

Yea I saw this after posting the top 8 tweet and being somewhat dismissive. I would like to know what the conversion rate was, i.e. was there so many because so many ppl played it?

22% of the field played Marvel in Manila and the Top 32 was like 30+% Marvel.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Siivola posted:

My gut feeling is that since actually drawing Ulamog is terrible, Marvel increases the variance of the deck. It's like trying to win by milling the opponent's combo cards away. It's just, the energy shell is solid enough to make the deck perform even if the rolls don't line up.

Out of curiousity, when was the last time Standard had deck that could win on turn four, Cat not included?

Back in theros khans I had a RDW variant that could win on T4 but it was very christmas land and was the most glass canon deck I've played.

That I think is the problem and one that WotC completely misses, there is nothing at all wrong with a deck that can produce a T4 win, the problem comes when that combo is still viable at T14 and everything just durdles out. I don't know if the problem is that there is no explosive agrro deck around to hold combos in check or that the toolkit for some of these decks is just too good.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Cat Combo was backbreaking because it was a combo deck in Blue & Red

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Aetherworks Marvel combo would be much more entertaining to watch & less frustrating to play against if it was the version with Paradox Engine, Whales, and Lizards

Ulamog is just too crazy to cast on any turn

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TwistedNails posted:

It's his version of playing mismatching sets and random white borders.

I do do this.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

AceClown posted:

Back in theros khans I had a RDW variant that could win on T4 but it was very christmas land and was the most glass canon deck I've played.

That I think is the problem and one that WotC completely misses, there is nothing at all wrong with a deck that can produce a T4 win, the problem comes when that combo is still viable at T14 and everything just durdles out. I don't know if the problem is that there is no explosive agrro deck around to hold combos in check or that the toolkit for some of these decks is just too good.

Anyone remember the dies to doom blade meme? Anyone? Hello?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Ulamog is balanced, dies to REDACTED

myDad fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 4, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

lol @ "You say aetherworks is just spinning a wheel but isn't drawing cards off the top of your deck also random???" :thunk:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

myDad posted:

Ulamog is balanced, dies to Doom Blade

Isn't Ulamog indestructible?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ThePeavstenator posted:

lol @ "You say aetherworks is just spinning a wheel but isn't drawing cards off the top of your deck also random???" :thunk:

If you think about it drawing path is basically the same as t4 finisher in a format where they forgot to print doom blade

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember in 2011 that Wizards had Mike Flores write an article that the prominence of CawBlade was overblown and that he argued there were just as many copies of Preordain in the top eight of some tournament as there were copies of Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

I look forward to Aaron Forsythe writing some similar piece of bullshit about Aetherworks Marvel.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

TheCog posted:

Isn't Ulamog indestructible?

Lol right, I think I'm starting to see what people mean when they say, "WotC needs to print more answers"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ThePeavstenator posted:

Laughing at the unfortunate design decision to randomize resources for a resource-intensive game is always good imo.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

My gut feeling is that since actually drawing Ulamog is terrible, Marvel increases the variance of the deck. It's like trying to win by milling the opponent's combo cards away. It's just, the energy shell is solid enough to make the deck perform even if the rolls don't line up.

Out of curiousity, when was the last time Standard had deck that could win on turn four, Cat not included?

Actually win, or just have game winning inevitability? Because Marvel never wins on actual turn 4, and neither do almost any aggro standard decks I can remember, although Boros Bushwacker might be the closest to a consistent win on that turn without disruption. Splinter Twin/Cat Combo are the only two I can remember that just win the game on turn 4, at least if we are talking the modern era of post Mirrodin bannings.

It does feel like the design on marvel is pushed in a few too many directions, much like Smuggler's Copter. It being legendary is a bonus, comes into play untapped, things dying produce more energy and it is just a bit too cheap to activate. I forget all the details but it seems weird they missed how good it was, since the temur energy shell wasn't exactly a stretch to come up with, it doesn't even use any Aether Revolt cards. Regardless of the change in rotation it was always going to be legal with Emrakul and Ulamog.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I've got some more harmonic behavior analysis here for you: it's your body, being violently shaken by me for saying something so profoundly dumb.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Were CoCo and Marvel too good for Standard? Were there too few answers printed for such powerful 4 mana spells?

Curious what will happen when Hour of Devastation drops and there's a 4 mana wrath again

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So the gp in omaha is even more marvel dominated? Look at that top 8...

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Crackling Doom forever in Standard.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

myDad posted:

Were CoCo and Marvel too good for Standard? Were there too few answers printed for such powerful 4 mana spells?

Curious what will happen when Hour of Devastation drops and there's a 4 mana wrath again

CoCo is powerful but theoretically fine in standard because it's only as good as the creatures it can get. It just got printed at a time where they started powering down answers and making tons of dumb, undercosted value bears and that made it especially unreasonable. CoCo also comes with the restriction of building your deck so that it can actually hit a majority of the time, which means you basically are just playing zoo with little to no removal.

Marvel is awful because no matter what environment it would get printed in, it will always be used to turn out the biggest, baddest spells in the format for free. You also don't really need to worry about the card composition of a deck that plays it because finding any non-land spell in the top 8 of your deck means you hit something.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
That sounds pretty damning for Marvel, can't see it getting any better with Hour's release

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The funny part is that SaffronOlive clearly detests Marvel and constantly is antagonistic towards Forsythe about it. He's basically just outright accusing them of suppressing data at this point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

The funny part is that SaffronOlive clearly detests Marvel and constantly is antagonistic towards Forsythe about it. He's basically just outright accusing them of suppressing data at this point.

I am not going to go full tinfoil here but it seems completely obvious they are at least spinning against the data we have available. Why do that at all unless they are in panic mode again.

I have little doubt that if MTGO data would suddenly become available if it would help them at this point.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

You also don't really need to worry about the card composition of a deck that plays it because finding any non-land spell in the top 8 of your deck means you hit something.
Well, you need to include enough energy generating cards.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Seth can't make a buck if nobody wants to buy the cards to his weekly jank brews. :v:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Marketing New Brain posted:

Actually win, or just have game winning inevitability? Because Marvel never wins on actual turn 4, and neither do almost any aggro standard decks I can remember, although Boros Bushwacker might be the closest to a consistent win on that turn without disruption. Splinter Twin/Cat Combo are the only two I can remember that just win the game on turn 4, at least if we are talking the modern era of post Mirrodin bannings.

It does feel like the design on marvel is pushed in a few too many directions, much like Smuggler's Copter. It being legendary is a bonus, comes into play untapped, things dying produce more energy and it is just a bit too cheap to activate. I forget all the details but it seems weird they missed how good it was, since the temur energy shell wasn't exactly a stretch to come up with, it doesn't even use any Aether Revolt cards. Regardless of the change in rotation it was always going to be legal with Emrakul and Ulamog.

I might be remembering wrong but I feel like both sligh and the one goofy 4 color heroic list had dreamland t3s

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

myDad posted:

It's the second one

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Siivola posted:

Seth can't make a buck if nobody wants to buy the cards to his weekly jank brews. :v:

I don't know why people think that's a conspiracy. He's in it for money, yes. It's not actually a problem that Seth profits off his own decks (which we don't even know that he does)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I think a not small part of why Marvel is annoying is that it says "cast" and I don't think it should

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Tournament magic is the worst.

Bring back stipulation tournaments.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

AceClown posted:

I think a not small part of why Marvel is annoying is that it says "cast" and I don't think it should

Well, without Eldrazi, "cast" is a downside.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Eldrazi are such horrible design. BIG CREATURES, uncounterable cast triggers, colorless, and faceless / flavorless. How did they drag these through multiple sets is beyond me.

If marvel was a one time use card I think it could be fine, but the fact that it spins and instantly hits something to spin again is just dumb.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks for the replies y'all.

AceClown posted:

I don't know if you can resolve noncreature spells without casting them. And even if there's a way, it probably wouldn't fit on the card. I think the card may have gotten a last-minute push like Skullclamp, where too many numbers got better at once.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

YggdrasilTM posted:

Well, you need to include enough energy generating cards.

That's like the lowest of low bars though. The deck wants time to cheat out big spells or at least spin its wheels while making value plays so it casts spells that gain you life, kills creatures, ensure consistent land drops, and even gets bodies to gum up the board, all of which also have energy generation stapled onto them. Even a land you play as a 4-of to make sure you get all your colors gives you energy. The cost of spinning marvel is also only 6 which you can easily generate in a turn once you're set up.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Well, without Eldrazi, "cast" is a downside.

Not really, it lets you hit really expensive instants and sorceries as well, and ignoring that "cast" at least makes it so you can't miss.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

I like the cast triggers because ideally the creatures should be hard to cast and don't just die to doom blade as a reward, but instead they are easy to cast, don't die to doom blade, and also whens doom blade

Siivola posted:

Thanks for the replies y'all.

I don't know if you can resolve noncreature spells without casting them. And even if there's a way, it probably wouldn't fit on the card. I think the card may have gotten a last-minute push like Skullclamp, where too many numbers got better at once.

Sfm definitely just puts equipment into play

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm loving bad at posting. I meant non-permanents.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 4, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Remember when See the Unwritten was a deck in the FFL so they replaced ETB triggers with cast triggers on the big eldrazi so you couldn't just cast a 6 mana sorcery and cheat them out for full value? Remember when they then printed a 4 mana artifact that does the same thing but with ANY spell but it also casts the big eldrazi so you get the on cast triggers and oh yeah, it's also repeatable turn after turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I can't honestly tell if you're really mad or just really gleeful.