Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zorodius posted:

The best incarnation of Sherlock Holmes was Gregory House

house was p good and I hate television. like, a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

...and the pitch! posted:

The author Rex Stout

lol awesome

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hercule :parrot:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I tried watching Poirot when I was like 9 and found it boring. I've recently read most of the Sherlock books and enjoyed that, so maybe I should give Poirot a chance again, yes or no?

Also, Columbo is cool and good.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Frost is better than both of them

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I enjoyed the robert downey jr Sherlock movie

Those movies were a lot of fun, but I don't like how they handled Irene Adler in the second one.

theperminator posted:

Cloth is superior to Frost though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IRXKn9LSU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltcB9x3W5k

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm impressed at all the Poirot love. David Suchet nailed it.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

theperminator posted:

It was really weird the first time I watched Frost and heard Danger Mouse speaking.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You dummies are all forgetting about the best detective of all: Encyclopedia Brown.

25 cents a day... plus expenses. Sometimes his bodyguard Sally solves the mystery because he is a boy and girls are smart too and notice different things sometimes!

Had an HBO series in addition to the books.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
Despite all the bickering we're doing about who the best detective is, I think we can all agree on one thing. Jessica Fletcher is a serial killer. Everywhere that woman went someone got murdered. That's not coincidence, that's a motherfucking pattern. She has a vested interest in people getting murdered around her. She writes murder mystery stories. So Fletcher, of course, conveniently solves the crime by pinning it on some poor stooge. Then she cranks out another "based on a true story" novel and laughs all the way to the bank while she plots her next nefarious crime. That crafty old bat is a goddamn criminal genius I tell you! Murder She Wrote? More like Murder She Committed I say!

Edit: I spel reel gud!

Duh Ugh fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 25, 2017

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80LW_O7NvI

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Columbo is a god-tier detective along with Tim Curry in Clue. In this thread we're debating who wins the Mrs. Fletcher league.

Wait how does Curry count as a detective? He was the one who dun it?!

Thank god someone mentioned Kolchak :love:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

fish and chips and dip posted:

I tried watching Poirot when I was like 9 and found it boring. I've recently read most of the Sherlock books and enjoyed that, so maybe I should give Poirot a chance again, yes or no?

there is like nothing in the poirot movies to appeal to any child. lots and lots of talking and even the car chases are really slow and low tension.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

There was an episode of Jonathan Creek where he reveals the suspect couldn't have been the killer because he was a Christian.
He kept his Bible hidden because christians are persecuted in England

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You dummies are all forgetting about the best detective of all: Encyclopedia Brown.

25 cents a day... plus expenses. Sometimes his bodyguard Sally solves the mystery because he is a boy and girls are smart too and notice different things sometimes!

Had an HBO series in addition to the books.

I'm not going to look it up but I think his nemesis was Bugs Meaney. That's a good name.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Duh Ugh posted:

Despite all the bickering we're doing about who the best detective is, I think we can all agree on one thing. Jessica Fletcher is a serial killer. Everywhere that woman went someone got murdered. That's not coincidence, that's a motherfucking pattern. She has a vested interest in people getting murdered around her. She writes murder mystery stories. So Fletcher, of course, conveniently solves the crime by pinning it on some poor stooge. Then she cranks out another "based on a true story" novel and laughs all the way to the bank while she plots her next nefarious crime. That crafty old bat is a goddamn criminal genius I tell you! Murder She Wrote? More like Murder She Committed I say!

Edit: I spel reel gud!

But thats ok, because the stooge always gets off the charge due to her comtaminating every crime scence.
The real victim of each episode is the cop she hoodwinks into thinking X couldn't have done it.
As when the court case comes around, the defense just has to ask why the police let a 70 year old woman walk around picking up poo poo, with most of the time a conflict of interest with the murder victim, accused, or both!
So the case gets thrown every time.

Unless the murder was black of course, this is 80s America remember.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wamdoodle posted:

Wait how does Curry count as a detective? He was the one who dun it?!

Thank god someone mentioned Kolchak :love:

I like the one where he throws the head at the headless motorcyclist and you can see it bouncing off the guy's actual head inside the jacket.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

Sherlock is a Mary Sue bad rear end bullshit character. Christie actively hated the poo poo out of Poirot, it's why he's a more interesting character.

In the earlier stories there is some vague pretense of Holmes not being a magic superhero wizard (like the idiot-savant characterization that was introduced in the first story and then immediately dropped) and they're generally a lot better for it. After the Holmes stories became famous and successful they got super lazy and terrible.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

In the earlier stories there is some vague pretense of Holmes not being a magic superhero wizard (like the idiot-savant characterization that was introduced in the first story and then immediately dropped) and they're generally a lot better for it. After the Holmes stories became famous and successful they got super lazy and terrible.

It's too bad, he's a fun character, but eventually he turns in to Batman with a violin and omniscience.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

fish and chips and dip posted:

I am actually not that big of a fan of the tv series, but the books are awesome. I could not go through them fast enough. Read The Murder of Rodger Ackroyd, it is a game changer.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Those movies were a lot of fun, but I don't like how they handled Irene Adler in the second one.

Cloth is superior to Frost though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IRXKn9LSU

Ok that is epic

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

haha what the christ

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Poirot is an autistic fattie. Of course he's better.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Young, "action" Poirot sounds absolutely dumb as gently caress.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Please change my name to Action Poirot

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I love the early seasons of Poirot, I didn't like the later ones when they became dark and moody (the show was sold to a different production company or something)

Suchet and the actors who played Hastings and Ms Lemon worked really well together and there were awesome, brief moments of unexpected comedy that I really like

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Chubby Gay Frenchman solving mysteries > closeted self-loathing, drug addicted, sexually-angry British sleuth.

Please change my name to "Gay Fat Frenchman Detective".

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
he is belgian

*adjusts suit coat*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

other people posted:

haha what the christ
It's going to be insanely bad.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

other people posted:

haha what the christ

What is this? Kurt Russell's finally making a sequel to Tombstone?

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
with a keen eye for detail one truth prevails

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What is this? Kurt Russell's finally making a sequel to Tombstone?

That would be one Hercule Poirot in the new 2017 remake of Murder on the Orient Express, as played by Kenneth Branagh.

Not sold yet? Johnny Depp and Willem Dafoe are also in it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Big Beef City posted:

That would be one Hercule Poirot in the new 2017 remake of Murder on the Orient Express, as played by Kenneth Branagh.

:wtc:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Loutre posted:

Young, "action" Poirot sounds absolutely dumb as gently caress.

And you're the only one who's mentioned such a thing, sooooo...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

They all did it.
There you go, no need to see it now.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
RDJ action Sherlock was actually pretty good imo. Far better than Benedict Cumberbatvjes alien-faced aspie Sherlock

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Correct. Poirot is way better than Sherlock.

Tom Barnaby is still the best though.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

He is a belgian you dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't Watson perfectly capable in the books, and he just did lots of boring stuff that the reader didn't need to be occupied with and the rest of the time was the POV character for Sherlock figuring poo poo out? Like, Watson was never the little bitch in the books that he always is in all the film stuff. Most of the time you forgot he was even a character, he was more like a journalist. Getting loving shot at when poo poo went down and never getting congratulated for it, etc.

• Locked thread