Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Had a bit of dialogue from January change (early game): This time January told me that Jorgen Thorstein resented me, but my first two runs January said he respected me. any idea what could be the trigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So is there any other way to get through the broken doors without turning into a small object and squeezing through? Trying for a no Typhon powers run. Also, whats this about a double jump?
I think there are only two rooms you can only get into by using the mimic power, but yes. One of them is a completely ordinary medbay with nothing unique or particularly interesting it in.

There's a chipset which gives you a brief jetpack effect. I found it out in space, I think following one of those "I should go find where this person is" quests.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

lambskin posted:

Yeah lab tech really depends on if you like the Q-beam or gloo cannon a lot. I fully upgraded my q-beam in my first playthrough and didn't regret it. Also I'd argue that physician is quite important if you play on nightmare, as food just doesn't usually cut it during combat. Plus then you can recycle the food you find rather than eat it all.
I had 50+ things of food and 20 medkits by the end of my nightmare playthrough and never crafted a single one, using only Physician 1. Recycled a lot of food, too.

I agree in general with the skills to skip, though I'd take Leverage 2. The things you can throw with L2 are pretty small so don't get caught up on the environment, do some really nice damage to Phantoms and usually knock them down, giving you a solid weapon against them in the early stages of the game when you're fairly resource-starved.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Physician 2 was most helpful in the early game, before you can kill enemies that quickly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Gamespot has an hour long documentary on Arkane. Not incredibly in depth, and the producer seems a tad optimistic about the future of immersive sims (and they glance over how successful-- or not--Dishonored actually was), but there's interesting background tidbits about their recent games and some frank interviews -- especially w/ Harvey Smith. Episode 2 consists entirely of interviews with Warren Spector and Richard Garriott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hysLne8WS3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux8pNfhfJbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO3YnPyqPKg

Also they put up Thi4f footage over discussion of the original. Twice!

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 3, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

3Romeo posted:

Had a bit of dialogue from January change (early game): This time January told me that Jorgen Thorstein resented me, but my first two runs January said he respected me. any idea what could be the trigger?

It seemed random to me - I reloaded shortly before and got different dialogue.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm doing that Disgruntled Employee sidequest and the thought of having to fly into the dark void of space makes me feel uncomfortable. :stonk:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Bogart posted:

Making quick decisions is one thing, defying conservation of mass to become a coffee cup is quite another.

There's a note from one of the scientists that suggests the mimics are not so much turning into coffee cups but instead are bringing them in from an alternate universe.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
No one really knows how they do it. I think the top theories were that they literally changed places with an item from another dimension, or they used some power of suggestion to force onlookers to see a cup instead of the mimic.

One nice little tibtbit of info was that when the Typhon occupy this alternate dimension, time flows completely differently. So they could be sitting on some derelict satellite floating through space for thousands of years, but mere seconds pass by in their dimension. As soon as they detect something interesting, they just phase into our universe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wonder if the mimic actually chooses to become a trash can instead of a live grenade, or if it just becomes a trash can because it's the closest object. If two mimics turned into a gun and a bullet, could they fire themselves at people? I want to see a phantom dual wielding mimic pistols firing mimic bullets.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
They can self identify as anything they want, mister!

I'll report you to Talos 1 HR if you're not careful!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

No one really knows how they do it. I think the top theories were that they literally changed places with an item from another dimension, or they used some power of suggestion to force onlookers to see a cup instead of the mimic.

One nice little tibtbit of info was that when the Typhon occupy this alternate dimension, time flows completely differently. So they could be sitting on some derelict satellite floating through space for thousands of years, but mere seconds pass by in their dimension. As soon as they detect something interesting, they just phase into our universe.

Even the game is pretty inconsistent about it.

On one hand, the objects mimics turn into can phase though the floor and walls and act like a real object wouldn't, suggesting that they don't actually turn into a different object but only make you believe that they do (and mess up in the process because they're dumb alien animals).
On another hand, when Y(o)u turn into objects using the mimic power you don't break the laws of physics and can in fact operate the objects you turn into, such as turrets and operators.

Either Mimics and Y(o)u have fundamentally different powers that do the same things, or the way they work is completely different or Arkane didn't want to bother with spergs that would over-analyze all the tiny details.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
I'm thinking of changing my username to either Captain Stabfellow or Spell-less Wonder.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Captain stabfellow with a Corvo Attano avatar would own.

E- or a DH2 Clockwork soldier avatar

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:lol: at the confused, frustrated notes from engineers that were trying to install Mimics disguised as electrical parts into various pieces of equipment, only for the Mimics to promptly get fried to a crisp by the current.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Even the game is pretty inconsistent about it.

On one hand, the objects mimics turn into can phase though the floor and walls and act like a real object wouldn't, suggesting that they don't actually turn into a different object but only make you believe that they do (and mess up in the process because they're dumb alien animals).
On another hand, when Y(o)u turn into objects using the mimic power you don't break the laws of physics and can in fact operate the objects you turn into, such as turrets and operators.

Either Mimics and Y(o)u have fundamentally different powers that do the same things, or the way they work is completely different or Arkane didn't want to bother with spergs that would over-analyze all the tiny details.

If you want to extend the line of thinking a step further, mimics aren't perfect at replicating an object because they don't understand anything about it other than the shape. You, on the other hand, know what the object is supposed to behave like, so it obeys things like the laws of physics. Eventually, with the knowledge of how greater mimics can copy complex machinery, you can start becoming operational versions of those machines. If the Typhon were advanced enough to have complex equipment of their own, you probably would become a poor imitation of it as well.

(Or, it's a game engine concession because it would take too much time and money to get mimics to work like proper objects :v:)

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hank Morgan posted:

There's a note from one of the scientists that suggests the mimics are not so much turning into coffee cups but instead are bringing them in from an alternate universe.

There's actually an email that lays out 3, then 4 theories they have.
* The mimics had some kind of latent psychic ability that tricks observers into seeing something else when they look at the mimic
* The mimic really are capable of instantly changing their form and color.
* The theory you mentioned above
And, after 6 months of testing and research, theory four is loving Magic

Honestly, most of the notes and emails in this game are really well written. There was one in the machine shop where you'll probably find your first recycler charge. It's just a piece of paper with a little block of organic crafting material sitting next to it, and says something like "this little 2kg block of organic material is all that's left of my right foot. Be careful with the recycler charges, guys."
Which got a pretty :stonklol: response from me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I really appreciate is that when you find a string of emails between two people, if you find the other person's computer you will find that same string of emails (sometimes minus the most recent one in the chain if they were the sender). It's a pretty incredible amount of attention to detail even if it is a kinda obvious thing to do in hindsight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also most of the audio logs are voice mails or recordings of meetings, which helped with the verisimilitude as opposed to "Everyone keeps an audio diary to monologue into"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

:lol: at the confused, frustrated notes from engineers that were trying to install Mimics disguised as electrical parts into various pieces of equipment, only for the Mimics to promptly get fried to a crisp by the current.

Yeah, this is great because there's also a storage room in that area that contains 6-8 Mimics disguised as various equipment that pop as soon as you try to pick any of them up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the group that was smart enough to mark objects that they were able to confirm were not mimics with sticky notes denoting as such. The mimics mimicked the sticky notes.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I know it's kind of a weird thing to say, given everything that goes on in the game but, Talos I is kind of the first video game space station/space craft that I'd... actually kind of want to live on. I've just reached the section with the crew quarters and so on, and as I'm going through the cabins, and the recreation center, and the fitness area, my main thought was "Man, this honestly looks like kind of a great place to live/work."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That reminds me - what's the official reason for Talos 1 to be a space station rather than a (far cheaper and more accessible) groundside research complex?
I mean obviously the real reason is the Typhon, but they can't tell people that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I know it's kind of a weird thing to say, given everything that goes on in the game but, Talos I is kind of the first video game space station/space craft that I'd... actually kind of want to live on. I've just reached the section with the crew quarters and so on, and as I'm going through the cabins, and the recreation center, and the fitness area, my main thought was "Man, this honestly looks like kind of a great place to live/work."

If you want to sleep in a tiny single bunk, never go for a (normal) walk outside, and only ever see the same couple of hundred people max, sure

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well they bought that defunct space station so probably some kind of globalist zeal, but there is a dope email about how they conduct all their research up there because there aren't any laws in space.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The Lone Badger posted:

That reminds me - what's the official reason for Talos 1 to be a space station rather than a (far cheaper and more accessible) groundside research complex?
I mean obviously the real reason is the Typhon, but they can't tell people that.

It's built off of the joint US - Soviet space station that was built when the Soviets made first contact with the Typhon through Sputnik. Along with that, recycler tech and research is only allowed in space now; apparently because of an incident involving recycler tech that is described in some of the lore books.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

There's a recorder exchange where one scientist is concerned about the morality of what she's doing and at one point they discuss that anything they do is legal because it's outside the sovereign space of any country, so everything being legal is one big upside.

E: Gonna drop a protip: use the nerf gun to get the cyst dudes to pop, they love to chase the squeaks.

E: Phantoms take over corpses, right? So presumably the phantom you are could be Morgan's corpse (voluntarily??) animated by a Typhon?

Unormal fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 4, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Unormal posted:

There's a recorder exchange where one scientist is concerned about the morality of what she's doing and at one point they discuss that anything they do is legal because it's outside the sovereign space of any country, so everything being legal is one big upside.

Maritime law.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

so far I've seen a loading screen message and a pair of videos on a terminal that say the station/iss/original containment was based around the vessel that made contact and brought the xenobiology with it.

the loading screen says that the US bought the capsule (sick rear end alien mess pod) or the sarcophagus built around it from the soviets

the videos are of a weaver pissing around a sputnik in the middle of a chamber

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HATECUBE posted:

so far I've seen a loading screen message and a pair of videos on a terminal that say the station/iss/original containment was based around the vessel that made contact and brought the xenobiology with it.

the loading screen says that the US bought the capsule (sick rear end alien mess pod) or the sarcophagus built around it from the soviets

the videos are of a weaver pissing around a sputnik in the middle of a chamber

That's the real reason the research is taking place here. What I was wondering is what is the for-public-consumption reasoning?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The for-public reason is almost certainly because they recycled the Middle East.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Dahl is awesome:
If you shoot Igwe right in front of him he just goes: I assume you had good reasons for that.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Also if there are other cheevo hunters:
Psycoshock does not seem to cause aggro on humans, which helped with making sure nothing stupid happened in cargo bay.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

CJacobs posted:

I wonder if the mimic actually chooses to become a trash can instead of a live grenade, or if it just becomes a trash can because it's the closest object. If two mimics turned into a gun and a bullet, could they fire themselves at people? I want to see a phantom dual wielding mimic pistols firing mimic bullets.

Mimic Matter lets you become a turret or Operator, so why not?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Quick question: are the suit chipsets randomized? I found the Kinesthetic Assister (buffs stamina regen) pretty early on in my first play-through, but it was nowhere to be found when I was doing a "no needles" run on nightmare. I dunno if it was the change in difficulty level, or if I had just gotten used to having that chipset, but running out of stamina while spamming the wrench was a much more common outcome this time around.

I was kind of counting on being able to find it, but I managed to poopsock my way through anyway. There was lots of running away, especially from those electrical phantoms.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 4, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yes - but I'm not sure if any are fixed drops.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Thank goodness I found the Impact Amp chipset, which guarantees a knockdown on phantoms when you do a power attack with the wrench. You can stun-lock them this way, but it takes like 30 to 45 seconds of meticulous fighting to kill them because of the stamina issue I mentioned.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's great when you get a good load out.

I wonder if they'll add any new chipsets of they make a DLC?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Yes - but I'm not sure if any are fixed drops.

At least the mimic detector gen 1 is, off the top of my head. Maybe one or two more.

e: I'd randomly found the gen2 detector before I'd found a psychoscope, so that was a little screwy.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Quick question: are the suit chipsets randomized? I found the Kinesthetic Assister (buffs stamina regen) pretty early on in my first play-through, but it was nowhere to be found when I was doing a "no needles" run on nightmare. I dunno if it was the change in difficulty level, or if I had just gotten used to having that chipset, but running out of stamina while spamming the wrench was a much more common outcome this time around.

I was kind of counting on being able to find it, but I managed to poopsock my way through anyway. There was lots of running away, especially from those electrical phantoms.

Some are randomized but I am pretty sure that one is fixed. Also an absolute must have if doing wrench combat.