Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This seems exactly right, but many in this thread seem convinced he has a huge army of cultlike minions because once on sabrina the teenage witch and was a guest star of WWE. Like he was a D list celebrity that was C list for a short period. I am absolutely sure some people are massive fans that would do anything he said, but this thread seems to vastly overestimate how many people would take or leave him and follow him only exactly as far as he says the exact stuff they already thought.

Trump has never been the problem, to me. The problem is what Trump represents, which is that the right wing political machine is so vast and so effective that any idiot can win on their ticket. It doesn't bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

As much as I like it, this just reminds me that Twitter can't go away fast enough. We shouldn't have a President that can just fart out something in under 135 characters without thinking.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

It's not Trump per se that people are embracing, it's what they think Trump represents: rejecting elites, upsetting the system, putting minorities and freeloaders in their place. Some, if they think further, will conclude that then they (suburban middle class whites, some rural voters not in extreme poverty) will profit, either literally or figuratively.

There is an entire apparatus devoted to priming Trump supporters to reject everything damaging to Trump in the press, including Trump himself. Some people will be demotivated to support him, but he definitely has a core that, even if they may not like Trump himself, like what they believe, and are sold, he represents.

Your perception of him as an outsider reality TV star is correct. It is also something many of his supporters embrace.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What purpose would this even serve?

Eh, it's Trump. Some AT tower somewhere probably delayed him five minutes and he's held a petty grudge ever since.

The sad part? Everyone can believe this because that is Trump.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SocketWrench posted:

I can believe it. it's stupid, childish and petty. That's Donald Trump

From his Trashy T to his tiny little p.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Trump has never been the problem, to me. The problem is what Trump represents, which is that the right wing political machine is so vast and so effective that any idiot can win on their ticket. It doesn't bode well.

Yeah it's this. The right wing are not trump fanatics, they are fanatics period. Any republican swapped with trump would still have a floor of 35%. See some of the quotes in support of Gianforte after he assaulted a reporter.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

Eh, it's Trump. Some AT tower somewhere probably delayed him five minutes and he's held a petty grudge ever since.

The sad part? Everyone can believe this because that is Trump.

Daily Mail posted:

Donald Trump files $100million lawsuit claiming air traffic controllers are 'maliciously' redirecting flights over his ritzy Mar-a-Lago club just to make him mad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2907037/Trump-sues-100M-flights-ritzy-Florida-club.html

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Young Freud posted:

As much as I like it, this just reminds me that Twitter can't go away fast enough. We shouldn't have a President that can just fart out something in under 135 characters without thinking.

That stems from the user not so much the medium. Obama made it work without coming off like a loving child because he is intelligent.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

He really is a Spite Elemental.

This man(?) has no subtlety. I mean I shouldn't be surprised by now buuuuuut

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lmao. Of loving course.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

There it is

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Elotana posted:

So, once the Senate realizes that the AHCA is rat poison, are they stuck? Can the House submit a second reconciliation bill that's just some quick and dirty tax cuts (no ambitious reforms or BAT)?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

A couple pages back:

pumpinglemma posted:

(The polls are literally showing an eleven point spread with no real consensus, and that's just the popular vote - there's no effective polling on a constituency scale.)

Why is polling in the UK so goddamn bad?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fuschia tude posted:

A couple pages back:

Too many pub crawls have resulted in a population that can't be relied upon to answer a question based on their feelings. (joke)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

More in the ongoing saga of Steve King is a reprehensible waste:

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/sta...%3Dde508f9ef8a5

I wanted #KimWeaver IN the race-not out. Democrats drove her out of the race-not R's. Death threats likely didn't happen but a fabrication. - @SteveKingIA

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mmm mmm that is some good ratio.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

The Senate isn't stuck with that bill at all, they can basically do a select all, delete and just rewrite the thing. Which is what they are doing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ShutteredIn posted:

The Senate isn't stuck with that bill at all, they can basically do a select all, delete and just rewrite the thing. Which is what they are doing.

They're trying to, but they not only have to write a bill that pleases all senate Republicans (a very difficult thing to do), that bill goes back to the House where it has to please the Freedom Caucus.

It was better when the House couldn't even pass anything, but they're hardly in the clear right now. The two sides of the Republican party on health care have opposite goals.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump appeared on Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

lol Trump was indeed playing golf today, with Peyton Manning.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 5, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShutteredIn posted:

To expand on this, if each chamber passes different version of the same bill, it gets kicked to a conference committee to hash out the differences. The result is the conference report which serves as a final amendment to the bill and triggers final debate and voting.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
If my old conservative Southern lawyer grandpa taught me ANYTHING with his constant retelling of the time he did a screen test with Ronald Reagan, and how much play it got, it is that people are endlessly delighted to hear the name of a famous person in a story, especially if it touches their own lives slightly. He built whole segments of his law career off of that story. Whole conversations can be had about that time someone just WALKED BY a famous person.

At his goddamn funeral, where people should have discussed any of his actual achievements, not only did the drat Reagan story come up, but then it was segued into 'his grand-daughter who now works in entertainment in NYC!' and people crowded around me to ask me about the city. I had to escape to the bathroom to stop being asked to tell NY stories. Not even anything cool, just stories about bums masturbating!! You'd think I'd invented sliced bread.

Because imagined fame is always more interesting than the dreary reality you're just another person like everybody else.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 5, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol Trump was indeed playing gold today, with Peyton Manning.

:smith: Never meet your heroes, kids

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
the_donald isn't even trying to hide their racist bigotry now. This is on the front page

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

When did they ever

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

D-Pad posted:

This sounds right, and it isn't that I don't believe it, but do you have some kind of link or source to back this up? I need to show this to a few of my friends.

Times they are a'changing.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/03/31/10-demographic-trends-that-are-shaping-the-u-s-and-the-world/

Specifically looking at this image.

The white vote is shrinking by roughly two percent every four years as a proportion of the American population. This is due to a number of factors.

1. What's left of the old generations are dying. Silent, greatest and boomers are all aging out. White America is old. So are republicans. Young people are also fleeing rural places because there is no future there and the average age of these rural areas is rapidly rising which tend to vote weak republican. The heroin epidemic is also hitting them particularly hard. The only solidly republican areas tend to be suburbs.

2. Hispanic Americans are becoming more numerous. Along with Asian Americans. Both tend to vote slightly in favor of democrats. Hispanics vote for them at a rate of about 30-45% (they're pretty varied) with Asians being all over the place too, though Muslims vote strong democrat as well.

3. Black Americans have stayed at about 12% s a proportion of the electorate for the last sixteen years. When they vote they vote strong democrat. Around 90/10 with some minor variance. Most of the problems with democrats is getting them to turn out in the first place and also the districts they're in are heavily gerrymandered. See North Carolina's recent supreme court decision for proof of this.

White America is shrinking and because the republicans take almost all of their voters from them means that they suffer twice as hard because they've made little effective outreach to African Americans, Hispanics or Asians. Having worked on a republican campaign (it's South Carolina, I get to choose what kind of republican I vote for because it's a one party state) I can tell you from experience that the likely republican voters are old as poo poo. Most in their fifties and above. Many in their seventies and eightes with nineties being uncommon and hundreds rare, but not as rare as anyone in their thirties. Despite hours and hours of phone banking and knocking on doors I saw exactly one likely primary voter who was in his thirties. He was a police officer. I met more people in their hundreds than anyone under the age of forty, and never, not once anyone under the age of forty-five. Not a single time. The guy in his thirties was like finding a four leaf clover or a unicorn.

What I'm getting at is that the shrinking white vote hits republicans doubly hard and on top of that is that their voters are old as hell. They're not replacing their voters. Instead they've doubled down on motivating them to turn out and each time they do it's becoming more and more frantic. They're close to no longer being able to win the presidency due to the numbers not being there and not because their opposition is at all effective. It's the numbers. So when the white vote shrinks by a percentage point you can safely double the effect it'll have to the republican party because they draw nearly all of their members from that particular pool.

Also if you haven't noticed the party is getting crazier as they get more desperate. Thankfully not all of them, but the rhetoric of violence has flooded the arch right wingers for decades. For a long time it's because US vs The Other and it's rendering them unable to attract new non-white voters because The Other sure looks pretty brown to the crazies. Unless the republicans radically course correct by 2020 they're going to be down another 4% of their votes because they'll call for white voters and there simply won't be enough of them there. Enough to win senator seats and house seats and governerships and state senate and house to be sure, but not as definitively as they did before and every year they refuse to realign is another 1% less votes they won't have.

We're due for a political realignment. It's going to happen. The republican party is in win at any cost mode and when they stop winning they'll stop being an effective party.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 5, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

peyton manning destroyed a woman's career after he sexually harassed her.

peas in a pod.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah I hate to spoil it but there are very few professional athletes worth idolizing.

The white ones from well known southern families especially.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That's ok Andrew Luck is much better, he has a book club and really just wants to be an engineer.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

peyton manning destroyed a woman's career after he sexually harassed her.

peas in a pod.

Dropping your balls on somebody's face is probably a bit more than sexual harassment.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That Pew graph says the 2016 numbers were projected. Did they turn out to be accurate?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Mantis42 posted:

That Pew graph says the 2016 numbers were projected. Did they turn out to be accurate?

It's eligible voters, not registered/likely/actual voters, so the population trends are almost certainly steady- the only thing I could think of affecting that would be the net emigration of latinos, but that's probably more non-citizens than eligible voters.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/05/18/census-shows-pervasive-decline-in-2016-minority-voter-turnout/

Here, combo of the bad news and the good news all on one page- black turnout dropped by a ton, but white percentage of the eligible voting population continued to fall as well.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 5, 2017

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Cam Newton is a pretty ok dude

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

What if my hero is Hitler? Checkmate libtards.

That said Hitler probably smelled bad.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

the_donald isn't even trying to hide their racist bigotry now. This is on the front page

idgi

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump appeared on Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

also suddenly susan

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

"police have to wear army gear around black people because they are more dangerous, in white neighborhoods the cops can be good and happy because the people are better. We should bring segregation back because it'll solve problems."

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Fuschia tude posted:

A couple pages back:

Several reasons:

- Dealing with six major parties is harder than dealing with two.

- Constituencies are so small that you can't reliably poll them, so you're mostly stuck with polling popular vote and applying "uniform swing" or some other obviously lovely model to try and guess how many seats each party will have.

- No-one knows how to model turnout, especially youth turnout. (Labour is on course to get literally three times as much of the young vote as the Tories this time round.)

That said, this election things are particularly bad - normally polls can at least agree on the popular vote to within a few points. My guess is that everyone ripped up their models post-Brexit and started using wildly different ones.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Brexit polls were within the margin of error though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Yeah I hate to spoil it but there are very few professional athletes worth idolizing.

The white ones from well known southern families especially.

• Locked thread