Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Q_res posted:

To be fair, when he left he didn't have magic powers any more.

He's Jewish, so he could still summon a golem. He just doesn't have Ragman powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

omg chael crash posted:

A fake beard. Really

Didn't you see the pilot? It was obviously a fake beard.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think that last episode was hands down the best season finale episode any of the DC CW shows have ever done. Even if you want to come down on the side of season 2 being the better season overall (which I'm not sure I do), I think at least this season had a better final episode than season 2 did.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, if I want to be overly critical I'd say that it seemed odd tha the season focused so much on the build up of the new Team Arrow and then they all got sidelined for the last few episodes and didn't have some big heroic bounce back. And the Ragman "Chekov's gun" thing not happening felt a little odd.

But those are nitpicks because it was a really great build with some pretty convincing escalations and high drama. And its impressive just how many people they had on screen where everyone had something the last few episodes. Dinah and Rene were maybe the most "lost" but Rene had the storyline with his kid and Dinah at least got to go toe to toe with Black Siren.

I wasn't as big a fan of the flashbacks as a lot of you guys, but I think that's mainly just because I enjoyed the main storylines so much that the flashbacks felt a bit too much like a distraction except when Anatoly was in the main narrative. In a vacuum the Russia storyline definitely beat out the last couple of seasons' flashback storylines.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I enjoyed the Russia flashbacks way more than the Season 4 Lian Yu ones. I seriously would zone out every time a flashback started last season. All I remember was the brother and sister, and something about an idol?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed that one episode with Constantine. But yeah, last season's flashback narrative sucked.

I didn't much enjoy S3's either but at least that connected and served a purpose with Katana, her husband, and Ra's disease. We didn't need that whole S4 narrative to establish that Oliver had dealt with magic before.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoyed that one episode with Constantine. But yeah, last season's flashback narrative sucked.

I didn't much enjoy S3's either but at least that connected and served a purpose with Katana, her husband, and Ra's disease. We didn't need that whole S4 narrative to establish that Oliver had dealt with magic before.
Honestly I wish they had more than like 2 minutes per episode in S4. And that Amell for some reason didn't want to wear his wig that season cause when it happened it was like present-Oliver just body shifted back to Lian Yu for no reason.

And it would've been better IMO if present Oliver in S4 was like poo poo-his-pants scared of magic because of what he witnessed on Lian Yu. Instead he was like "well them's the breaks".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scyantific posted:

Barrowman confirmed via Instagram that Manu is pissed at Arrow and won't be back

:mmmhmm:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
alternate comedy ending: He used to be used to be Ra's Al-Ghul!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So this is a thing now

https://twitter.com/manubennett/status/869982379997253632

https://twitter.com/manubennett/status/870091910286856192

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'd love to see a deathstroke series with Slade post arrow season 5 working to make amends from all the stuff he did when he was out of his mind on mirukuru. With periodic crossovers from the other arrowverse shows.

That being said, putting him on Legends is also a decent way of achieving that, and it would improve that show considerably. They could write Jax and stein out - they clearly don't know what to do with them - they don't have the budget to show firestorm doing cool stuff, and between that and the fact that firestorm is overpowered they end up contriving a silly reason to keep the two of them split up ever episode. It just ends up being stupid.

Then they can save firestorm for the occasional high stakes guest role on any of the arrowverse shows, or for big crossovers. If rip is staying on the cast, he can be the dude that knows how to fix the ship, and if need be they can grab that lady scientist from flash if they want an extra person for a scientist role.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't want Slade on Legends. I'd like to see CW get creative and do a summer time mini series. Maybe start with 'stroke and do a new character every summer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Deathstroke on Legends would either gently caress up the great comedic tone season 2 established, or gently caress up the seriousness of Slade's character. I want that thing Rhyno said

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I don't want Slade on Legends. I'd like to see CW get creative and do a summer time mini series. Maybe start with 'stroke and do a new character every summer.

This would be pretty cool, I'd also accept Deathstroke's Suicide Squad of Penance.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Narcissus1916 posted:

Barry being a dumbass was the basis for the whole mega-crossover this year.

But that does not begin to cover exactly how awful Barry is.

His decision at the end of season 2 is the most villainous done, across the entire Arrowverse.

Biggest terrorists in the Arrowverse (highest body counts, etc)

1. Barry Allen
2. Felicity Smoak

Huge gap

3. Uhhhhh Merlyn or Thawne or somebody I guess

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/manubennett/status/870576370039922688

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

bbf2 posted:

Biggest terrorists in the Arrowverse (highest body counts, etc)

1. Barry Allen
2. Felicity Smoak

Huge gap

3. Uhhhhh Merlyn or Thawne or somebody I guess

Ehhhh.... as much as I love this meme, you gotta put Darhk in there somewhere, who was ultimately responsible for nuking a city. (Two? I remember him getting supercharged off the murder, but I forget if it was the one Felicity diverted into Ragman's town.)

I would absolutely love it if the clusterfuck at the end of the last season of Legends was actually because of the notorious Barry Allen, Time Fucker, and the crossover episodes were everyone teaming up to take him down.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its just the hate Felicity joke, I'm sure. Obviously she's not responsible for the people who died when Darkh fired a bunch of nukes and she stopped all but one of them and tried to divert that one away to a less populated region. Its ok for Felicity to be haunted by that but everyone else justifiable says "uh, it was Darkh."

Barry's a menace though and Lyla knows it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She still nuked the center of a town instead of the outskirts for some reason.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

She still nuked the center of a town instead of the outskirts for some reason.

She diverted it from a bigger city and she could only divert it so far. I kinda assume it's like one of those cities that's just surrounded by smaller suburban towns where white people live to avoid taxes and poor people, so she didn't have any good options

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think its safe to say Felicity did what she could and didn't purposely aim it at the most populated part of the least populated area she could find. That would just be wacky.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's the trolley problem with nukes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It was a dumb escalation of threat that had no place on Arrow is what it was.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its just the hate Felicity joke, I'm sure. Obviously she's not responsible for the people who died when Darkh fired a bunch of nukes and she stopped all but one of them and tried to divert that one away to a less populated region. Its ok for Felicity to be haunted by that but everyone else justifiable says "uh, it was Darkh."

Barry's a menace though and Lyla knows it.

The Slade Wilson spin off should be him leaping into people throughout the multiverse Quantum Leap style and murdering Barry Allen before he can kill again, and ever murdered Barry he hopes this will be the Dead Barry leap home.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finally (finally) gotten round to watching season four of Arrow and I'm roughly halfway through. Here's a list of 10 impressions I've had so far:

1. I can see how this would be very frustrating to watch if you're following it week to week and have to contend with hiatuses and breaks.

2. I understand why people joked about how it could be renamed "The Felicity Smoak Show" while season four was airing.

3. It handled its Legends of Tomorrow set-up content better than season two of Flash did.

4. In fact, it's a lot better than season two of Flash in general.

5. If nothing else, Neal McDonough is a lot of fun as Dahrk.

6. Flashbacks aren't very interesting although they'd served their purpose by the end of season two.

7. It does okay at managing its various subplots. Having multiple narrative irons in the fire like that is something that makes it feel like a comic book. Again, though, I can see how it would be annoying week to week, since it does break up the main plot quite a bit.

8. But at least it seems to have subplots, which I think is better than Flash season two managed.

9. Real shame they killed off Amanda Waller; I suppose that finished the job they started when they killed off Deadshot in season three but at least they left a door open for him so he could conceivably he could come back. A pity that the Suicide Squad movie really wasn't worth it.

10. In conclusion, it's better than Flash season two was.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never thought of it in that context, but yeah... that's a good point. I don't much mind that Suicide Squad was a dud but now I'm a little sad that much better Arrow Waller and Deadshot had to die for it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's an interview with one of the cast - possibly Willa Holland - which confirmed that the characters were killed off because WB/DC didn't want to create confusion with the DCEU versions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And then they went and brought Deadshot back two more times anyway. Once as an alternate universe Floyd Lawton and then again this last season as a hallucination/ghost.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I never had any doubt about that but I just had never really connected the dots between "Arrow had to kill the Suicide Squad for the movie" and "The Suicide Squad movie kind of sucked."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's an interview with one of the cast - possibly Willa Holland - which confirmed that the characters were killed off because WB/DC didn't want to create confusion with the DCEU versions.

Of course since then we have god drat Superman so I bet they regret that a bit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

And weirdly enough, they didn't get a flood of confused people saying "Who is this slightly ethnic looking Superman? I thought Superman was that mean guy from the movie?"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

They should can the lovely movies before they detract from the superior tv versions if you ask me.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently Wonder Woman is not lovely and unless they're idiots(they are.) DC will use that as the template for their movies going forward except for Justice League which is probably going to be a trainwreck between Snyder and Whedon helming it.

I'm at least intrigued by the idea that Aqua Man is going to apparently be a mix of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Romancing the Stone in tone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I have some positive hopes with Wonder Woman and that the DCU might be finding some balance.

I went to the Comic Films thread to see what people were saying about it but they're just arguing about Snyder for the millionth time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Let's not count our chickens yet folks. Wonder Woman being good is something I'm going to credit Patty Jenkins with. We still have a company that wants to move forward with an Ayer directed Gotham Sirens and can't even get a Batman or Flash movie into pre-production. There's no reason to think this is a whole turnaround for the film division. This is because Patty Jenkins makes a good film.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

X-O posted:

Let's not count our chickens yet folks. Wonder Woman being good is something I'm going to credit Patty Jenkins with. We still have a company that wants to move forward with an Ayer directed Gotham Sirens and can't even get a Batman or Flash movie into pre-production. There's no reason to think this is a whole turnaround for the film division. This is because Patty Jenkins makes a good film.
As usual, Hollywood execs always seem to learn the wrong lessons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the thing is that Justice League is already in the bag and they've already got a bunch of other movies in pre-production so there's only so much they could adopt or change in short order from Wonder Woman, regardless of whether they learn any lessons or not.

Plus Zach Snyder seemed to be the auteur of this whole world so far besides WW and he's at least temporarily removed because of personal tragedy. So who knows how it will all play out? But the vague impression I've gotten is that the look of Wonder Woman, Joss Whedon being brought in, and Dwayne Johnson being cast in a big role seem to suggest more of a move towards the MCU balance of lighter, more fun fare rather than the Snyder movies.

But who knows?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey look, here's actual proof of the movie being good because of Patty Jenkins and in spite of DC.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-womans-most-fantastic-scene-nearly-didnt-get-mad-1795811939

STAC Goat posted:

I think the thing is that Justice League is already in the bag and they've already got a bunch of other movies in pre-production so there's only so much they could adopt or change in short order from Wonder Woman, regardless of whether they learn any lessons or not.

Plus Zach Snyder seemed to be the auteur of this whole world so far besides WW and he's at least temporarily removed because of personal tragedy. So who knows how it will all play out? But the vague impression I've gotten is that the look of Wonder Woman, Joss Whedon being brought in, and Dwayne Johnson being cast in a big role seem to suggest more of a move towards the MCU balance of lighter, more fun fare rather than the Snyder movies.

But who knows?

The Rock was cast years ago, as a villain. And really the only thing in any kind of production right now besides Justice League is Aquaman. Flash is pretty much dead in the water right now after losing multiple directors and going in for a full rewrite. And Batman is in God only knows what kind of shape. The only DC movie set to come out before 2019 at this point is Aquaman unless they rush something else into production. It's a real mess there right now.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I find it weird to know what to think of Patty Jenkins because like, she made Monster and that's cool. But then for 15 years she made half a dozen tv episodes, a third of which were Entourage? What the hell happened there?

X-O posted:

The Rock was cast years ago, as a villain. And really the only thing in any kind of production right now besides Justice League is Aquaman. Flash is pretty much dead in the water right now after losing multiple directors and going in for a full rewrite. And Batman is in God only knows what kind of shape. The only DC movie set to come out before 2019 at this point is Aquaman unless they rush something else into production. It's a real mess there right now.

Ahh, ouch. I was under the impression they had much more of a "Phase X" thing happening with all the Gotham Siren, Black Adam/Shazam, Green Lantern, Batman, etc movies that I've heard various casting and pre-production news about. I didn't realize it was as big a mess as you describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

I find it weird to know what to think of Patty Jenkins because like, she made Monster and that's cool. But then for 15 years she made half a dozen tv episodes, a third of which were Entourage? What the hell happened there?

Uh, do you really need this explained to you? She's a woman in Hollywood. That's what happened.

• Locked thread