Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Brute Squad posted:

Work Triangle? What's that?

Looks good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I prefer the work dodecahedron.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GreenNight posted:

Looks good to me.

"Work acreage"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreenNight posted:

Looks good to me.

Three points always make a triangle unless they’re in a line? :monocle:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Chin Strap posted:

I wouldn't mind that actually. Keeps the dirty dishes (main mess in a kitchen) out of sight until you could get to them.

When you miss your dish pit so much, you put one in at home. It's even got a convenient window for piling dishes and hiding knives in everything.

Cross-posting my joy from the plumbing thread.

Brute Squad posted:

So here are the water lines to my shower.

What's the deal with the pvc ends going down at the t's? Water hammer prevention? Plumber too lazy to grab right angles? I would like to get rid of them, as they are the perfect level to hit me in the head.

No, I don't know why they used T's instead of corners.
Yes, that is the heating duct no longer attached to the floor register in my bathroom with aluminum tape.
Yes, the floor register is located directly underneath my bathmat. Because it's dead center of where you step out of the bathtub.
Yes, those are 2x4s transferring the load from part of the bathroom floor to a shelf. The floor directly underneath the toilet.
No, I have not seen or smelled any leaks (:knocks on any wood but what's seen:).
No, The person who installed the pvc sections of my plumbing did not believe in things like pipe hangers or pipe strap.
Yes, they swag like christmas bunting.
No, this is not the worst thing I've discovered about this house.

Yes, I'm working on fixing it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes I wish I could touch an object and get some sort of psychic echo to see into the past as to the thought process of the person to made/installed it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Sometimes I wish I could touch an object and get some sort of psychic echo to see into the past as to the thought process of the person to made/installed it.

Seems like a waste - you'd get the same result touching that even without the power.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

This place reminds me of this hotel I stayed at in China, at the surface level it looked really swanky but the more time I spent in there the more it turned out everything was slapped together to "look good" and was functionally poo poo.

That is all of China, especially Beijing. I spent around 4 weeks there last year, I've never had a better or more satisfying shower than the first shower i took in Japan after getting there from Bejing, it felt like I had moved 25 years into the future.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Seems like a waste - you'd get the same result touching that even without the power.

Clever, nice.

Baronjutter posted:

I've often wished the same thing myself.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tunicate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leUsySc7JsA

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

GreenNight posted:

Looks good to me.

hey i'm all about that appliance layout, just ideally in the same room and not half a mile apart

if the sink was where that table is on the left, THAT'd be a good triangle

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Ugly House Photos blog is a neverending source of thread content

(yes those are mushrooms growing out of the ceiling)

These are all from the same drat house. I think it's some sort of conceptual art.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

(yes those are mushrooms growing out of the ceiling)
I did my masters thesis on the geology of an old gold mine, and I think I've seen this species before.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

T_T

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Youth Decay posted:

Ugh, I remember my grandparent's old house had a set up like this, where there was a toilet behind a half-wall that was attached to a bath. The toilet side had carpet on it for some reason. I hated it because my family figured that since the toilet was sort of its own separate area, they could come in and use the rest of the bathroom while us kids were pooping. Just wait like five minutes to brush your teeth dad, poo poo!!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Ugh, I remember my grandparent's old house had a set up like this, where there was a toilet behind a half-wall that was attached to a bath. The toilet side had carpet on it for some reason. I hated it because my family figured that since the toilet was sort of its own separate area, they could come in and use the rest of the bathroom while us kids were pooping. Just wait like five minutes to brush your teeth dad, poo poo!!

A quick and dirty sketch (not to scale) of my master bathroom, which I may have mentioned before in this thread:

I wonder how much cocaine was in the Fleetwood designers in 1990. First thing I did when I moved in was put up a shower curtain across the entryway to the bathroom for privacy/notification that somebody's pooping. And yes, the whole thing is carpeted. :saddowns: There's reasonable, though ugly, linoleum in the kitchen and other bathroom!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Ugh, if my parents had done this I'd have just locked the doors and let them tell at me.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/HouseBudgets

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't want to quote the entire feed but this is gold:

https://twitter.com/HouseBudgets/status/864872597426761728

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I knew a guy who used to organize coloured pens for Disney.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

...when people's taste in showers looks like Early Dachau...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So I've posted about my poo poo bathroom here in before http://imgur.com/a/AguyZ but the one thing that I didn't post in that album is the window.

The window is it's own special kind of Hell. When we moved in, it was just COVERED in caulk. All across where the window casing met the tile (which is fine, that should be caulked, right?), all along where the edge of the glass met the stile (?), on top of the sash, completely covering the latches, and even in the jamb. Like, over an entire tube's worth in and around the window, if I had to guess. Obviously, this made it impossible to open. The caulking job also wasn't that good, we could see mold/mildew growing, and we knew water was still getting in there.

We had more pressing matters to take care of first, so we ripped off all the caulk, got the mold and water out of there, and then then just put a thick piece of plastic sheeting over the whole thing that I periodically take down to check is still water tight and replace.

Well this summer we're finally dealing with it, but I'm not sure what the best way is. But in the meantime, you guys get to enjoy my misery by proxy.

Here's the window in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4BTbmm5Nhc

The bottom sash is somehow loose in the jamb (is that the right terminology?)

How can something like this even happen? I have only one theory...it's supposed to be a sliding horizontal window.

The only proof I have is that when we took the lower sash out (because yes, it's so loose it comes out) the right side looks like this:

Those little cut outs on the side are empty. Nothing in them.

The left side looks like this:

Those are basically little "wheels" or rollers or whatever you call them.

A little better look at them:

And on the outside, the right side (and only right side, i.e. the left side on the inside) has these little slots:

Close up:

Is it possible this was meant to be a sliding window?

I tried to get the model number from the tag on the sash but it's too faded to read

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I knew a guy who used to organize coloured pens for Disney.
I thought he turned it down, out of a sense of duty.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Our friends were actually on House Hunters. I can't remember if they said their real budget, I think they did. However they filmed the show after they had already closed on their house and the hunt was just completely made up.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Yes it's a gliding window installed 90 degrees wrong.

The holes are weep holes and always go on the bottom of a window. Weep holes are for raining sideways at high speed and for power washing to let any that somehow gets in drain out the bottom.

The things on the side let the window glide and go on the bottom and ride in a pocket on a rail.

The window ought to open from the right to the left leaving the right open with a screen.

You could keep it open with a stick for a vent, but your neighbors if any could obviously see you even better, get a frosted one with the same dimensions that cranks open or has an actual top and bottom sash.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 4, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is it possible this was meant to be a sliding window?

I tried to get the model number from the tag on the sash but it's too faded to read

Yep. Every rental property I've seen built in the last 30 years had those horizontal sliders, so I assume they must be cheaper than the old fashioned vertical windows. My guess is that there used to be a normal wooden vertical window there wasn't maintained properly and eventually rotted from the damp. They measured the size of the window hole, and then bought the cheapest window they could find that was the right dimensions. Once they installed it and realized why it was a bad idea, it was too late to return the window so the just caulked it and called it a day.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Horizontal sliders have a 0% chance of coming loose and guillotining somebody's kid, which I assume is a factor.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've been keeping my wife up to date on that Toronto couple's homes, and I just sent this to her. About a minute later, I heard hysterical laughter from the next room.

"... 'And I sell swimming costumes for sheep!' Can you imagine a wet sheep? Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Yes it's a gliding window installed 90 degrees wrong.

Hey man, gotta keep those witches out.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's fine but as an ex window installer for 6 years it kinda bugs me that the springs in one side would wear out faster.

Yes we've received windows wrong from the factory where they messed up horizontal and vertical measurements "vertical gliders" they should have sanity checked that, it was something like 20x60 where it should have been obvious, no we didn't install it and caught it.

I've seen weep holes on the top quite a bit.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Suspect Bucket posted:

loving

like i'm routinely horrified by stuff in this thread but this is probably the most 'what the gently caress were they even thinking' thing i've seen recently

if that was my place i'd call up HVAC contractors for quotes for window units just for laffs

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SoundMonkey posted:

loving

like i'm routinely horrified by stuff in this thread but this is probably the most 'what the gently caress were they even thinking' thing i've seen recently

if that was my place i'd call up HVAC contractors for quotes for window units just for laffs

Oh no, that's a witch window. They do that on purpose. It's a tradition in Vermont.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/witch-window-vt/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 5, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh no, that's a witch window. They do that on purpose. It's a tradition in Vermont.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/witch-window-vt/

oh no like i'm familiar with them (i've seen one here even though it's not a thing in this area?) but even accounting for witchcraft it's possibly one of the worst-looking design quirks i've seen

if only they'd had a legend that witches couldn't pass through properly insulated walls

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yep. Every rental property I've seen built in the last 30 years had those horizontal sliders, so I assume they must be cheaper than the old fashioned vertical windows. My guess is that there used to be a normal wooden vertical window there wasn't maintained properly and eventually rotted from the damp. They measured the size of the window hole, and then bought the cheapest window they could find that was the right dimensions. Once they installed it and realized why it was a bad idea, it was too late to return the window so the just caulked it and called it a day.

I got the 24"W x 12"H horizontal sliders in my shed cheap as returned items at Lowes. I think someone bought them as narrow vertical sliders and returned them when they discovered that they wouldn't stay open in that orientation. They were perfect for my needs. Saved me quite a few dollars.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SoundMonkey posted:

if only they'd had a legend that witches couldn't pass through properly insulated walls

It'd probably be bad form to change a thread title to your own joke, but ... it would make a good thread title.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Given this thread's content, someone has probably installed new spray foam insulation around old knob and tube. Double points if the Stab-Lok is in there too though.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SoundMonkey posted:

Oh, you're talking about witchwalls!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Delivery McGee posted:

It'd probably be bad form to change a thread title to your own joke, but ... it would make a good thread title.

it would be extremely crass

mycomancy posted:

Oh, you're talking about witchwalls!

this wasn't my joke though

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Should have turned it the other way around so guys could save time and pee while they shower.