Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:lol:

that owned

Dammit, this isn't SAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/871538731043258368

Pretty good read.

Spoiler alert: because Trumpists refuse to actually fill State Department vacancies (because they can't trust civil servants apparently) everybody is running around with their hair on fire.

This line is particularly great:

quote:

It’s also led foreign governments to seek out other avenues of communication. Trump has nominated only a handful of U.S. ambassadors, and some countries have responded simply by reaching out directly to Hook or to other White House officials, including Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

I can't remember if I saw this here or in my news feed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/trump-s-support-drops-military-communities-n768036

I can't be bothered to look it up, but even his previous number of 51% seemed low for a Republican President who was vowing to simultaneously not send troops off to war and increase military spending. Then again, I'm amazed they like him at all after his Purple Heart stunt.

If Trump loses the military then he's lost America.

Great avatar

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Yeah, the original Horsey is not great. And of course nazis love Mayberry.

I do like the poo poo eating grin though.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Krispy Kareem posted:

I can't remember if I saw this here or in my news feed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/trump-s-support-drops-military-communities-n768036

I can't be bothered to look it up, but even his previous number of 51% seemed low for a Republican President who was vowing to simultaneously not send troops off to war and increase military spending. Then again, I'm amazed they like him at all after his Purple Heart stunt.
Its a sign of what an absolute garbage human being he is that not only had I forgotten about that, but that after googling it I have to ask "Which purple heart stunt?" The one from this April or last August?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

Its a sign of what an absolute garbage human being he is that not only had I forgotten about that, but that after googling it I have to ask "Which purple heart stunt?" The one from this April or last August?

April, I think. Where he said "Congratulations" to the guy he was giving the purple heart to and you could see that man die a little more inside.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Ice Phisherman posted:

We're due for a political realignment. It's going to happen. The republican party is in win at any cost mode and when they stop winning they'll stop being an effective party.

All the GOP needs to do is poach enough Hispanics each cycle + voter disenfranchisement to equal or exceed the number of whites who die off. At this rate (more hispanics voted for Trump than Romney) they'll stay afloat for a while, or even make gains as they did last year. We will continue to see voter suppression increase and as long as it stays gradual there won't be any consequences for the GOP.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Chilichimp posted:

Man whats with the shade on gamers?

They've been making asses of themselves for about three years now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Some asses who are gamers?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Most people play video games of some sort. Those people who do it enough or play the types of games to identify as "gamers" are the worst.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

That number is closer to 20, gamer horribleness just got a lot more public is all.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Some asses who are gamers?

No it's more than that. There's a pretty large segment of game hobbyist culture that is completely overrun by absolutely irredeemable shitheads. Most hobbies don't have such discrete pockets of absolutely vile humans. And what's more, they directly connect their vileness with their identity as "gamers".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Unzip and Attack posted:

All the GOP needs to do is poach enough Hispanics each cycle + voter disenfranchisement to equal or exceed the number of whites who die off. At this rate (more hispanics voted for Trump than Romney) they'll stay afloat for a while, or even make gains as they did last year. We will continue to see voter suppression increase and as long as it stays gradual there won't be any consequences for the GOP.

Whites aren't only dying off they are being replaced by less conservative whites.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Wait, so 10 or so banhammers could make GBS somewhat readable?

IMO yes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
gently caress wrong thread

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Boon posted:

Cool.

That's not a rule of... capitalism though?

Many people would disagree with you.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hating gamers because there are some lovely people who play games is pretty scummy.

I play games and have no knowledge of this subculture of lovely people.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

Hating gamers because there are some lovely people who play games is pretty scummy.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/n_srnck/status/871462396229029889

:derp:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Unzip and Attack posted:

Their strongest weapon, Voter ID, was shot in the face by the courts. They're going to keep trying to do things, but there isn't an infinite amount of voter suppression available.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

This has nothing to do with hating people who play video games. I do that too, but out of self-hatred.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Its a group that actually identifies as "Gamers", not just people that play games.

Basically the internet KKK, but somehow more misogynistic and racist because they can hide behind internet anonymity.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Flesh Forge posted:

There's about 10 GBS racist superstars that try really hard to make it feel that way and they have endless stamina, it's pretty gross.

e: for example

I think what I find more concerning is the tab that says Poosculptor

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

April, I think. Where he said "Congratulations" to the guy he was giving the purple heart to and you could see that man die a little more inside.

Right, as opposed to his thing in August of a soldier showing off his purple heart, Trump taking it and saying "I always wanted one of these. This is a way easier way to get it".

Dogwood Fleet posted:

That number is closer to 20, gamer horribleness just got a lot more public is all.

I'd widen it to 32. Gamers have been horrible ever since Nintendo remade it into a boys only club.

Ogmius815 posted:

No it's more than that. There's a pretty large segment of game hobbyist culture that is completely overrun by absolutely irredeemable shitheads. Most hobbies don't have such discrete pockets of absolutely vile humans. And what's more, they directly connect their vileness with their identity as "gamers".
Comic books, sports, tabletop gaming, cars..does any widely held hobby NOT have a pocket of irredeemable shitheads?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

don't kinkshame

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

(more hispanics voted for Trump than Romney)

Are you sure?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Right, as opposed to his thing in August of a soldier showing off his purple heart, Trump taking it and saying "I always wanted one of these. This is a way easier way to get it".

I'd widen it to 32. Gamers have been horrible ever since Nintendo remade it into a boys only club.

Fair enough, I was thinking that communities started to pool when early MMOs came out.

quote:

Comic books, sports, tabletop gaming, cars..does any widely held hobby NOT have a pocket of irredeemable shitheads?

I'm imagining birdwatchers doxx female hobbyists and claim it was a part of birding identity.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

I wasn't aware of widely popular campaigns perpetuated by sports fans or model enthusiasts to harass and intimate women with the temerity to try working in the industry.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Maybe there's something to the theory that Home Secretaries are invariably driven completely pants-on-head bonkers by the revelations inherent in the job.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

I wasn't aware of widely popular campaigns perpetuated by sports fans or model enthusiasts to harass and intimate women with the temerity to try working in the industry.

Oh no, women sportcasters get hosed with all the time too

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That last thing is completely ridiculous, even more so than the others...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Have you never seen the shitstorms that arise from women trying to enter any area of male dominated sports? Hell even sports broadcasting. God forbid a woman tries to become a coach.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

"How to Kill Your Country's IT Industry in 8 Easy Steps"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Old James posted:

"How to Kill Your Country's IT Industry in 8 Easy Steps"

Brexit plus that is like taking pills before shooting yourself just to be sure.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh thank god. I saw your reaction first and thought it was another catastrophic Trump decision.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Furnaceface posted:

Have you never seen the shitstorms that arise from women trying to enter any area of male dominated sports? Hell even sports broadcasting. God forbid a woman tries to become a coach.

I'd say the difference is that you still get all of the same terrible hot takes from sports dudes, but they don't send death threats

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I encountered someone who tried to kill themselves by shooting themselves and taking pills. Turns out the pills made them super drousy, so they missed, their son came in the room to find out what happened and they killed their son because they though he was a intruder.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Its a group that actually identifies as "Gamers", not just people that play games.

Basically the internet KKK, but somehow more misogynistic and racist because they can hide behind internet anonymity.

There has to be a better phrase to describe the Jontrons of the world other than "gamers".

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Chilichimp posted:

I don't generally have a problem with your posts but this here is some pretty heavy "Not all gamers" poo poo. Gaming in general has a huge problem of lovely people being vile to anyone who isn't a white straight male. Pointing this truth out is not an attack on you personally, and acting like it is obfuscates the actual problem.

This isn't just a gaming thing either. Anytime someone responds to "group X has a problem" with "but I'm a member of group X and I don't have that problem", they are actively moving the discussion away from trying to solve the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Hollismason posted:

I encountered someone who tried to kill themselves by shooting themselves and taking pills. Turns out the pills made them super drousy, so they missed, their son came in the room to find out what happened and they killed their son because they though he was a intruder.

Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread